PDA

View Full Version : American Visa semi rant

evisiron
2008-12-08, 07:19 PM
So, I was in Texas to study for a while. I met a girl early on, and by summer, was invited to stay with her family for a while. The visa has a 90 day grace period... let me make this shorter:
-Needed 13 more days to fit travel plans
-Asked questions
-Applied for Visa change
-Paid $300

It went pending for 7 months. For something to cover 13 days. And now they finally respond, only to say it has been Denied since I left the country before they reached a decision. :smallfurious:

Hoping to get over at Christmas, and applied for a visitor visa. Thankfully it went okay, and the interview was after when the letter was sent. *Fingers crossed nothing happens going through immigration*

Ugh, bureaucracy!

Anyone else facing similar woes?

Don Julio Anejo
2008-12-08, 08:20 PM
*Fingers crossed, hopefully you get your visa.*

Yeah, bureaucracy sucks. Apparently I also can't use my Ukrainian passport to enter Ukraine because then I'll have to serve in the military for two years and if I want to travel there, I have to use a Canadian one and apply for a visa (to enter my frickin' home country).

Innis Cabal
2008-12-08, 08:28 PM
To the above. Or you could follow the law of your country and serve in the military. Saying "I can't enter into my country because I don't want to serve and thats bogus" is..well...

Unless I am misunderstanding your situation.

As for the OP. Welcome to America my friend! The government's not there to screw you over. Its just there to make your life awful so you can screw yourself.

reorith
2008-12-08, 08:30 PM
*Fingers crossed, hopefully you get your visa.*

Yeah, bureaucracy sucks. Apparently I also can't use my Ukrainian passport to enter Ukraine because then I'll have to serve in the military for two years and if I want to travel there, I have to use a Canadian one and apply for a visa (to enter my frickin' home country).

that blows. could be worse though.

Felixaar
2008-12-08, 08:37 PM
Bugger, I had simillar issues. Best of luck.

dish
2008-12-08, 09:42 PM
Currently trying to get my Chinese husband a visitor's visa for the UK so he can meet the rest of my family. (My parents came out here, so he has met them.)

As with most visa applications it is a long, drawn-out, and frustrating business. With the emphasis on frustrating.

SMEE
2008-12-09, 04:22 AM
Strange... o.o

Other than having to wait months to get my interview scheduled, and preparing tons of documents and papers that they never asked for, I had no trouble getting my business' American visa.

At the interview they asked me to show my ID, social security and the event letter. Then I was told I had to pay U$ 60,00 because my visa was granted... :smallconfused:

banjo1985
2008-12-09, 05:09 AM
Currently trying to get my Chinese husband a visitor's visa for the UK so he can meet the rest of my family. (My parents came out here, so he has met them.)

As with most visa applications it is a long, drawn-out, and frustrating business. With the emphasis on frustrating.

My friend is still trying to get his Chinese wife all set up to work in the UK. She has been studying here for pushing two years, but all the red tape they've had to go through to allow her to work is insane.

Bouregard
2008-12-09, 06:27 AM
Glad that I don't have such problems, at least with america. German passport seems to be accepted pretty muchworldwide. But with america... I heard that in the new year I have to get some extra papers from a .gov site for traveling... mhm Anyone knows more about it? I get used to flying without problems. And I would really hate showing up late because of some strange new laws...

dish
2008-12-09, 06:48 AM
My friend is still trying to get his Chinese wife all set up to work in the UK. She has been studying here for pushing two years, but all the red tape they've had to go through to allow her to work is insane.

Yep, it isn't easy to change a student visa to a work one. But, most countries have similar issues. It took me 5 months in total to get my last work permit for China, and I'm married to a Chinese guy. (Admittedly, the visa situation was made much worse by the Olympics and is now supposed to be normalizing.)

Irenaeus
2008-12-09, 07:02 AM
To the above. Or you could follow the law of your country and serve in the military. Saying "I can't enter into my country because I don't want to serve and thats bogus" is..well...Perfectly acceptable?

Especially considering that the poster don't appear to live in said country? :smallconfused:

Concription is a complicated issue, and in some nations more than other. Stuff isn't neccesarily right because it is the law.

Krrth
2008-12-09, 10:36 AM
I don't know if it's the same its with a Visa, but with passports, paying they extra "expedition" fee gets it done rather quickly.

Bouregard
2008-12-09, 11:34 AM
I don't know if it's the same its with a Visa, but with passports, paying they extra "expedition" fee gets it done rather quickly.

Grml... Always new costs these days.

Krrth
2008-12-09, 12:31 PM
Grml... Always new costs these days.
meh, I'm not so sure that's a "new" cost, just an incredibly blatant statement of an old cost....

Telonius
2008-12-09, 12:35 PM
Sorry to hear it. (And anything more than that from me will result in an hourlong political rant).

Quincunx
2008-12-09, 12:37 PM
Glad that I don't have such problems, at least with america. German passport seems to be accepted pretty muchworldwide. But with america... I heard that in the new year I have to get some extra papers from a .gov site for traveling... mhm Anyone knows more about it? I get used to flying without problems. And I would really hate showing up late because of some strange new laws...

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/esta/

People with passports from countries with a visa waiver (including Germany) have to register online more than 48 hours before traveling to the U.S., the idea being that these will replace filling out a short form at U.S. Immigration/Customs.