PDA

View Full Version : University interviews

Illiterate Scribe
2008-12-09, 02:22 PM
Anybody got'em coming up?

Heading off to Oxford tomorrow, so wish me luck.

I may not, however, need it - I was laid low by the recent nasty flew that everyone else seems got now, so I'm hoping to spread PLAGUE and CONTAGION among them, knocking them out before the interview. Curse flu's 1-4 day incubation period.

Player_Zero
2008-12-09, 02:26 PM
No one wanted an interview with me. Obviously my personal statement was so amazing no additional evidence was required.

...or maybe no one wants to meet maths students...

Dr Legostar
2008-12-09, 02:30 PM
I have to have interviews at universities in the near future, but not of the student variety. I've been applying for faculty positions. Does that count?

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-12-09, 06:02 PM
You guys need interviews to get into college? Man you UKer's are weird.

Thes Hunter
2008-12-10, 12:05 AM
I am hoping that I get some interviews to the American colleges I have applied to.

So I don't believe it is as weird as it sounds.

snoopy13a
2008-12-10, 12:19 AM
A few US colleges have undergrad interviews. Usually they are done by local alumni. Also, some colleges have optional interviews for people who visit.

Extra_Crispy
2008-12-10, 12:32 AM
It does seem a little strange to me to have an interview. When I applied to the University of Arizona all I sent them was my GPA from high school. Then when I applied to the College of Nursing at the UofA again all they looked at was my prereq's GPA and had a quick talk with the woman incharge of admittance. Most of the colleges here really dont worry about an interview as long as you have ok grades (in other words you did not flunk out of highschool, and even then they might accept you) and you can pay. It seems as long as you can pay you get in, now if you can stay in is a different matter, that depends on grades.

RTGoodman
2008-12-10, 02:24 AM
I've done my fair share of applying for college's, and I don't think I've EVER had to do an interview. Of the four or five undergraduate places I applied to, I didn't have one for any of them, and I'm currently doing applications for grad school at half a dozen places or so (including fancy schools like Harvard and UC Berkeley and not-so-fancy places like UNC Chapel Hill and Western Michigan) and haven't heard of any interviews required for them, either. I guess that could, change, though, once I've actually gotten all my applications and papers in, though.

Basically, I agree is the Cube o' Doom. :smalltongue:

potatocubed
2008-12-10, 02:41 AM
I interviewed for Oxford many, many years ago. They said 'GTFO n00b' and lo, my life took a wholly unexpected path.

Perhaps I should have prepared for the interviews, instead of going out clubbing and reading FR novels. :smalltongue:

Alarra
2008-12-10, 02:48 AM
A few of the undergraduate schools I applied for required interviews....ALL of the master's programs did, so it's not that unusual in the US, I don't think.

Vicarious
2008-12-10, 04:15 AM
I'm at oxford now.
You'll be fine. The interviews are no where near as bad as anyone makes em out to be.

Stadge
2008-12-10, 04:42 AM
Good luck! What are you applying for if you don't mind me asking?

And I've got my Cambridge interview tomorrow morning. But due to recent events haven't been able to prepare too well. Ah well, hopefuilly it'll be ok.

black_Lizzard
2008-12-10, 07:28 AM
A few of the undergraduate schools I applied for required interviews....ALL of the master's programs did, so it's not that unusual in the US, I don't think.

I hope it wasn't for English. :smalltongue:

Jorkens
2008-12-10, 07:39 AM
In my experience, it's not really about preparation. A lot of the point of Oxbridge interviews is to decide whether they're someone genuinely clever with the potential to think independently and deal with difficult new ideas or whether they've just been intensively coached through exams and spent weeks memorizing the textbook.

Also a lot of colleges give you bonus points if you're the sort of person who will generally enrich the life of the place via what you do outside of work.

But in any case, afaict it's best to just go, be vaguely alert, try to talk coherently and try to give them a clue as to how you're thinking (ie think out loud if you're given a question that you don't know the answer to straight off so they can see if you're working in the right direction.)

Good luck, all.

Hazkali
2008-12-10, 09:12 AM
I'm at oxford now.
You'll be fine. The interviews are no where near as bad as anyone makes em out to be.

It irritates me when Oxbridge students say this, after all, your interviews cannot have gone too badly or else you wouldn't have gotten in, would've you?

It's not the interviews per se that are terrible, but the apprehension, worry and post-mortem analysis. When I had my Cambridge interview it felt terrible to come out of them having been stressed for weeks and *knowing* that I had let myself down. The rejection letter was only really a formality.

But now I'm at The University of Durham, a far superior institution. :smallbiggrin: