PDA

View Full Version : Dexterous Will ain't got nuthin' on this [D&D 3.5]

Deepblue706
2008-12-11, 04:32 PM
Seriously, Fighter/Barbarians need some love with these nonsense feats.

Strength of Will / Will of Strength[Epic]
Prerequisites
STR 25

Benefit
You have a lot of muscle. I mean a lot. You're no-longer just strong. You're ridiculously strong. You have so much muscle that even your head is stronger than most other men's biceps. Because of all of that muscle around your head, you've actually cracked your skull and damaged your brain in such a manner that you are unable to even perceive most mind-affecting attacks. Henceforth, you apply your STR modifier to all Will saving throws.

Mighty Evasion [Epic]
Prerequisites
STR 25

Benefit
When you need to react fast, you find your abundance of flesh allows you to hurl yourself great distances to avoid incoming harm. Even if you didn't see it coming, you get out of there fast because it's so easy when you're strong. You may apply your STR mod to all Reflex saving throws. Yes, it works. Stop look at me like that.

JackMage666
2008-12-11, 04:39 PM
I'd just reword them to no-nonsense, and they'd be good. I mean, it's EPIC levels, after all. Why not?

Deepblue706
2008-12-11, 05:31 PM
I'd just reword them to no-nonsense,

What.

This is supposed to be a mockery of the application of some stats to certain saves. Dexterous Will, the feat I exploit for a jab in the title of the thread, is a prime example of what these feats were derived from.

I wasn't trying to be creative so much as point out how trying to justify how you actually apply stats to saves in odd ways generally comes up ridiculous. I would guess this is probably why no justifcation was ever actually given with the feats, and they are expected to "just do it".

There are other ways the stats can be applied in rather silly ways, but this seemed like the simplest way of explaining my point.

I suppose you could say it is a critique of 4E's abuse of the concept, as well.

SurlySeraph
2008-12-11, 05:45 PM
Mighty Evasion makes a lot more sense than Dexterous Will. To me, anyway.

Other than that, there's not much to say. For epic feats, they're balanced. Your point has been made. Anything else?

Otogi
2008-12-11, 06:23 PM
Rather odd artisitc expression.

Deepblue706
2008-12-11, 09:19 PM
Anything else?

Nah, not really. Unless, you think it's a good idea to start making feats that apply STR to other things, like # of spells known, etc.

Oh man. STRENGTHOMANCER!

Arbitrarity
2008-12-11, 09:26 PM
Nah, not really. Unless, you think it's a good idea to start making feats that apply STR to other things, like # of spells known, etc.

Oh man. STRENGTHOMANCER!

The power of Muscle Mystery (http://www.ifanboy.com/images/ifanboy/flex_mentallo1of4_-_05.jpg) then?

SurlySeraph
2008-12-11, 09:39 PM

Oh man. STRENGTHOMANCER!

Way ahead of you, man. I've been wanting to make an Orc Barbarian/Wizard who casts spells by hitting reality with an axe until it conforms to his will for years minutes. But I've been really serious about it for those minutes.

Blue Ghost
2008-12-11, 09:43 PM
Forgive me for asking, but what exactly is the justification for Dexterous Will?

Proven_Paradox
2008-12-11, 11:04 PM
Forgive me for asking, but what exactly is the justification for Dexterous Will?Approximately as follows:

"IT'S EPIC LEVELS! WOOoooOOOOoooOOOOooOOOOOOO!"

Deepblue706
2008-12-12, 12:16 AM
Forgive me for asking, but what exactly is the justification for Dexterous Will?

Proven_Paradox pretty much nailed it. There isn't one.

SoD
2008-12-12, 12:47 AM
As written, damaged brain? Shouldn't that give a penalty to a few mental stats? Oh, hang on...oh yeah. Epic. Silly me. Of course it makes sense as written.

Lappy9000
2008-12-12, 12:49 AM
Prerequisites
STR 25

Benefit
You have a lot of muscle. I mean a lot. You're no-longer just strong. You're ridiculously strong. You have so much muscle that even your head is stronger than most other men's biceps. Because of all of that muscle around your head, you've actually cracked your skull and damaged your brain in such a manner that you are unable to even perceive most mind-affecting attacks. Henceforth, you apply your STR modifier to all Will saving throws.

But...th-.....wha-.....gar-....*Head Asplodes*
{Lappy9000 takes -4 damage points of logic}

imp_fireball
2008-12-13, 05:53 PM
Seriously, Fighter/Barbarians need some love with these nonsense feats.

Prerequisites
STR 25

Benefit

So what, should you take an epic penalty to wis and int (but not allocate will save penalties from reduced wis, since that would kinda corrode the feat?).

And to quote Homer Simpson: And my IQ was only reduced by 20 points! Hehehaha.... why I laugh.

Mighty Evasion [Epic]
Prerequisites
STR 25

Benefit
When you need to react fast, you find your abundance of flesh allows you to hurl yourself great distances to avoid incoming harm. Even if you didn't see it coming, you get out of there fast because it's so easy when you're strong. You may apply your STR mod to all Reflex saving throws. Yes, it works. Stop look at me like that.

Maybe you should factor in involuntary muscle spasms that have a mind of there own, considering no human (or orc even; higher str racial bonuses are a different story) skeleton should be able to ordinarily contain that amount of muscle, so perhaps your body starts doing the thinking for you literally. On like a base level, since your body is you, and you are your body, you don't really count as seperate templates.

This would only apply to race templates with low Str bonuses (+4 or lower), how 'bout? Ogres, ie., would have more supportive skeletons.

:smallbiggrin:

What I suggested would make more sense if it wasn't epic. Because I mean really, barbs and fighters have a lot more then 25 str by epic level. And they definitely need it for the CR they're up against.

Here's another idea: Since muscle mass makes you heavier (in real life that is), 30 or so strength could be the point where you get additional bonuses to bullrush, overrun, etc (but only for races where ordinarily, 30 Str is pretty darn high, since higher Str races are already pretty heavy or size large)! Just an idea.

One final idea: Awesome blow, if taken, should increase the knock-back distance by 10' for every 25 points above 25 str that your character has!

Man, I'm so full of ideas, they just come to me.

Elder Brain
2008-12-13, 05:58 PM
Heck, I think the wording's what make these interesting. Yeah, they're as good as an Epic Feat, but more fun!:smallbiggrin: