PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Crusader Class (PEACH)

Reverent-One
2008-12-11, 08:23 PM
As there are no Divine-based Striker classes yet, unless there is one in the Forgotten Realms guide or one has been announced for another book, I'd thought I'd try my hand at creating one myself. Of the two builds, one of them is Striker with a dash of leader, and the other being pure damage dealing. So, for your viewing pleasure, the Crusader class.

Class Traits:
Role: Striker. You channel the powers of your deity, serving their will in the world, often by smiting those who would resist you. Your focus on delivering divine judgment can leave you vulnerable to attacks, however, so it is best if your target either does not survive your assault or is too cowed to react.
Power Source: Divine. You wield the power of your deity, focusing your knowledge on using this power offensively.
Key abilities: Charisma, Strength, Wisdom

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, Leather, Hide, Chain, Light Shields
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple Melee, Military melee, Simple Ranged
Implements: Holy Symbols
Bonus to defense: +1 Reflex, +2 Will

Hit points at 1st level: 12 + Constitution score
Hit points per level gained: 5
Healing surges per day: 6 + Constitution modifier

Trained Skills: Religion. From the class skills list below, select four more trained skills at first level. Class Skills: Athletics, Diplomacy, Endurance, Insight, Intimidate, Perception, Streetwise

Build options: Divine Hand (Fist?), Inquisitor
Class features: First Strike, Holy Brand, Divine Power, Tool of Judgment

Divine Hand: While your powers still deal large amounts of damage, you are aware that alone, your ability to carry out your god’s will is limited. As such, you also use the power of your deity to assist those who you deem worthy to fight alongside you, so the Divine Power Channel Divinity would be most useful to you. You focus your powers through your weapon, so you should select it as your Tool of Judgment. Strength should be your primary ability score, with Wisdom as your secondary for your abilities to assist your allies. Charisma will be useful as well if you use any powers that use your implement as their focus.

Inquisitor: Unlike your more social brethren, you waste not the energy on helping your allies, instead choosing abilities that simply deal massive damage to your foes, so the Divine Power Smite Foe would be most useful to you. These powers will most often use your implement, so that should be your selected Tool of Judgment. Charisma should be your highest score, to help your primary powers, though Strength should be your secondary in the event you need to bash your opponents head in. Wisdom may be useful, if you take any of the leader type powers more often used by the Divine Hand build.

Class Features
First Strike: At the start of an encounter, you have combat advantage against any creatures that have not yet acted in that encounter.

Holy Brand: Once per turn as a minor action, you can place a Holy Brand on the enemy nearest to you that you can see. A branded enemy is more vulnerable to your attacks. If you damage a branded enemy, you deal extra damage. You decide whether to apply the extra damage after making the damage roll. You can deal this extra damage once per round.
A Holy Brand remains in effect until the end of the encounter, until the branded enemy is defeated, or until you brand another enemy.
1d4 + wisdom radiant damage per tier.

Divine Power: You can select either the Channel Divinity or the Smite Foe class feature.
Channel Divinity: Same as Paladin.
Smite Foe: Once per encounter you focus the power of your deity to rain down their judgment on your enemies. You can invoke several powers through its use, all Crusader being able to use the Divine Judgment power. Through feats, members of the Crusader class can learn other powers, related to that of their deity.
Regardless of how many different uses for Smite Foe you know, you can use only one such ability per encounter. The special ability or power you invoke works just like your other powers.
Smite Foe powers:
Divine Judgment Crusader Attack 1
From your hand comes a burst of Divine energy, blasting your foe, teaching him to fear your power.
Encounter - Divine, Radiant
Minor Action - Range 8
Target: One Enemy
Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d4 + Charisma modifier radiant damage, and the target gets a -2 modifier to the next attack it makes against you before the end of it's next turn.

Avandra’s Misfortune Crusader Attack
Just as Avandra grants luck to the bold, so to can she take it from the cowardly, as the enemies you face will learn.
Encounter - Divine
Minor Action - Range 5
Hit: The target gets a -1 modifier to its attack and all of its defenses until the end of your next turn.

Bahamut’s Fire Crusader Attack
From your breath comes a divine fire that consumes your foe.
Encounter - Divine, Fire
Minor Action - Range 8
Hit: 1d6 fire damage and the target takes 5 ongoing fire damage (Save ends).

Moradin’s Hammer Crusader Attack
A hammer of force smashes into your enemy.
Encounter - Divine, Force
Minor Action – Area burst 1 within 5 squares
Target: Each creature in burst.
Hit: 1d6 + Charisma modifier force damage.

Scorching Light of Pelor Crusader Attack
The light of Pelor scorches your target and grants you renewed energy.
Encounter - Divine, Radiant, Healing
Minor Action - Range 5
Hit: 1d4 + Charisma modifier radiant damage, and you recover 1d6 hit points.

Truesight of Corellon Crusader Attack
Corellon despises the web of shadows and lies of Lolth, and with his power you can disrupt any similar concealment.
Encouter – Divine
Minor Action – Range 8
Target: One enemy
Special: This power ignores any form of concealment the target has.
Hit: 1d4+ Charisma modifier damage and allows all allies that can see the square to ignore the target’s concealment as well until the end of your next turn.

Scales of Erathis Crusader Attack
The scales of Erathis judge those who break her laws and punish those that they find wanting.
Encounter – Divine, Radiant
Minor Action - Range 8
Hit: 1d6 + Charisma modifier radiant damage.

Ioun’s Retribution Crusader Attack
The mind is Ioun’s realm, and there is where your foes will feel his fury.Encounter - Divine, Psychic
Minor Action - Range 8
Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Hit: 1d4 + Charisma modifier psychic damage and is dazed until the end of your next turn.

Kord’s Fury Crusader Attack
Divine lightning from the storm god blasts your foes.
Encounter - Divine, Lightning
Minor Action – Close blast 2
Target: All creatures in burst
Hit: 1d6+ Charisma modifier Lightning damage

Anger of Melora Crusader Attack
Like the wildest motions of the sea, Malora’s anger does not leave even the greatest sailor on his feet.
Encounter – Divine, Radiant
Minor Action - Range 8
Hit: 1d4 + Charisma modifier radiant damage and the target is knocked prone.

The Despair of The Raven Queen Crusader Attack
Supernatural crows circle your foe, showing to him his imminent death.Encounter - Divine, Psychic
Minor Action - Range 5
Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Hit: Target is stunned (save ends).

Shadows of Sehanine Crusader Attack
The illusions of Sehanine blind the target to the world around it.Encounter - Divine
Minor Action - Range 5
Hit: 1d4 + Charisma modifier damage and the target is blinded until the end of your next turn.

Tool of Judgment: Choose a weapon type of your choice or your holy symbol, whenever you use a power of your chosen tool, you gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls.

Inyssius Tor
2008-12-11, 08:40 PM
1: The Avenger, we think. In the PHBII.

2: And Channel Divinity is entirely different for both the Cleric and Paladin. What, exactly, is it that your Divine Hand gets?

Reverent-One
2008-12-11, 08:46 PM
The Avenger, we think. In the PHBII.

I figured there'd be something, I'm just not too tied into the news sources for that sort of thing.

And Channel Divinity is entirely different for both the Cleric and Paladin. What, exactly, is it that your Divine Hand gets?

*facepalm*

That's what I get for trying to save myself from some typing. It gains the Paladin's powers as the standard, with the ability to get the feats as well of course. Fixing that now.

Inyssius Tor
2008-12-11, 08:50 PM
Okay, I see what you're trying to do, but I'd think it would be more elegant if you just made Tool Of Judgement a Channel Divinity power. And, um, what about the rest of the class? Any more ideas? I've been thinking about this as well, so I'm interested in seeing what you can come up with. Don't worry about it being overpowered, because what you have now is, um, really weak. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Wait a minute. Is Divine Judgement different from Tool of Judgement?

Mando Knight
2008-12-11, 08:52 PM
The striker's Divine Hand build sounds like a sucker for punishment... as a melee weapon-based striker, he ought to have a decent AC to make the defender's mark matter. With only light armor and neither AC ability as a recommended ability, he's open to attack. Warlocks have Intelligence (and without decent Int, they usually hang back a bit, and have access to concealment), Rangers and Rogues use Dexterity (Two-Weapon Rangers might also consider heavy armor, but it's usually a waste), Barbarians use either heavy armor or Dexterity.

Reverent-One
2008-12-11, 08:56 PM
Okay, I see what you're trying to do, but I'd think it would be more elegant if you just made Tool Of Judgement a Channel Divinity power. And, um, what about the rest of the class? Any more ideas? I've been thinking about this as well, so I'm interested in seeing what you can come up with. Don't worry about it being overpowered, because what you have now is, um, really weak. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Wait a minute. Is Divine Judgement different from Tool of Judgement?

Yes, it is, and feel free to suggest better names, but Divine Judgment will be the generic Smite Foe encounter power all members of the class gets. Tool of Judgment is a entirely seperate class feature. And I've got further ideas for some powers and such, but wanted to see if the basic concept is a sound one.

The striker's Divine Hand build sounds like a sucker for punishment... as a melee weapon-based striker, he ought to have a decent AC to make the defender's mark matter. With only light armor and neither AC ability as a recommended ability, he's open to attack. Warlocks have Intelligence (and without decent Int, they usually hang back a bit, and have access to concealment), Rangers and Rogues use Dexterity (Two-Weapon Rangers might also consider heavy armor, but it's usually a waste), Barbarians use either heavy armor or Dexterity.

Good point. How does adding Chainmail and light shields proficency sound to address that?

Shadow_Elf
2008-12-11, 09:04 PM
It needs a bonus damage feature.
Why not try something like this?

Divine Branding:
Minor Action, Brand the enemy.
Once per round, you can deal 1d4 + Stat Mod bonus radiant damage/tier against a Branded foe.
Otherwise, the same as Warlock's Curse/Hunter's Quarry.
Makes it a little different, but not too much.

Reverent-One
2008-12-11, 09:09 PM
Ah, there we go, definately like the idea, Shadow_elf.

Shadow_Elf
2008-12-11, 09:15 PM
No problem.

Also, might I suggest Zealot or Crusader as the name for the class?

Reverent-One
2008-12-11, 09:17 PM
Yes, you can.

Crusader it is!

Shadow_Elf
2008-12-11, 10:18 PM
Am I correct in assuming that Wisdom is a secondary stat for both builds? If so, then I would like to suggest making Divine Brand Wisdom-based. If it is based off of the Primary Stat, it is much much better than Warlock's Curse or Hunter's Quarry.

Reverent-One
2008-12-11, 10:28 PM
Am I correct in assuming that Wisdom is a secondary stat for both builds? If so, then I would like to suggest making Divine Brand Wisdom-based. If it is based off of the Primary Stat, it is much much better than Warlock's Curse or Hunter's Quarry.

Hmm, no, it wouldn't be. The idea would be for Wisdom to be used for the leader-type powers, something the Inquistor build might not be using. Could make that change anyway, ideally the inquisitor wouldn't be lacking for damage dealing anyway.

Oh, and Divine Judgment is up. correction, the "feat-provided" Smite Foe powers for all the Good-Aligned deities are up, feedback much appreciated.

Reverent-One
2008-12-13, 04:57 PM
Smite foe powers are up for all neutral gods as well. These really had some tough ones in them, so any thoughts would be good. I was trying to make these powers similar in power to the channel divinity in scale, merely more offensively oriented, how do you think I did? Should the damage scale with the tiers as it does for most similar powers?