PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]The Rearranger

arguskos
2008-12-11, 11:59 PM
So, since the last time I posted anything around these parts, I've been playing and testing out my "school-based" spellcasters (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95336). In addition to learning a lot of interesting things, I've discovered the lack of a Transmutation-based caster hurts. A lot. Too many effects are lost to let this slide. With that in mind (and some of SurlySeraph's suggestions in hand), I present, the Rearranger! (name up for discussion)

The Rearranger

"The power of magic lies in it's ability to change matter, for better, or worse..."
-Aznar Thrull, Master Rearranger

Magic can be used for a multitude of purposes. Ask a warmage, a beguiler, a dread necromancer, and a savant what school of magic is more powerful, and you'll get four different answers. Ask a rearranger, and you'll be informed that the most powerful school is that of transmutation, for it and it alone can change the most basic substance into something else. Rearranger are living embodiments of this power, and are all too eager to share it with others at the drop of a hat.

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d4

Class Skills: Appraise (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int)
Skill Ranks: 2+Int mod

The Rearranger
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Spellcasting; Summon Familiar; Instant Creation

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Basic Transmutation

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Bonus Feat

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5|

7th|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+5|Matter Rearrangement

8th|
+6/1|
+2|
+2|
+6|

9th|
+6/1|
+3|
+3|
+6|

10th|
+7/2|
+3|
+3|
+7|Bonus Feat; Adept Transmutation

11th|
+8/3|
+3|
+3|
+7|

12th|
+9/4|
+4|
+4|
+8|

13th|
+9/4|
+4|
+4|
+8|Skilled Transmutation

14th|
+10/5|
+4|
+4|
+9|

15th|
+11/6/1|
+5|
+5|
+9|Bonus Feat

16th|
+12/7/2|
+5|
+5|
+10|Superior Transmutation

17th|
+12/7/2|
+5|
+5|
+10|

18th|
+13/8/3|
+6|
+6|
+11|

19th|
+14/9/4|
+6|
+6|
+11|Master Transmutation

20th|
+15/10/5|
+6|
+6|
+12|Bonus Feat; Supreme Transmutation[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The rearranger is proficient with all simple weapons, and light armor.

Spellcasting: A rearranger casts arcane spells which are drawn from the rearranger spell list. A rearranger must choose and prepare her spells ahead of time (see below).

To learn, prepare, or cast a spell, the rearranger must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a rearranger's spell is 10 + the spell level + the rearranger's Intelligence modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a rearranger can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Rearranger. In addition, she receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Intelligence score.

Unlike a bard, a rearranger may know any number of spells. She must choose and prepare her spells ahead of time by getting a good night’s sleep and spending 1 hour studying her spellbook. While studying, the rearranger decides which spells to prepare.

Rearranger spells may be cast in light armor with no chance of spell failure chance, just like bard spells.

Summon Familiar: As the Wizard ability of the same name (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/wizard.html#familiar).

Instant Creation (Su): As a standard action, a rearranger may conjure a minor non-magical object in his hand. This object can be worth no more than 5 gp, and must be holdable in one hand. The rearranger may create no more than 5xcaster level gp worth of items per day. This item is permanent.

Basic Transmutation: At 4th level, the rearranger unlocks the first true secret of transmutation magic, and learns to siphon magic to enhance himself when he casts. Whenever the rearranger casts a transmutation spell, he gains DR 5/- for the next round, or until he casts another transmutation spell, which ever comes first.

Bonus Feat: At 5th level, and every 5 levels thereafter (10th, 15th, 20th, etc), the creator gains a bonus feat. This feat must be an item creation feat, a metamagic feat, or a reserve feat.

Matter Rearrangement: At 7th level, the rearranger gains power over metal objects. He can change any metal object into the metal of his choice, with a full-round action. For example, he could shift the fighter's sword from normal steel to adamantine, to beat a monster's damage reduction. This shift lasts for one round per creator level.

Adept Transmutation: At 10th level, the rearranger unlocks another secret of transmutation. He can alter his surroundings, as by casting Stone to Flesh, Flesh to Stone, Rock to Mud, Mud to Rock, Bone to Metal, and Metal to Bone. These may be cast at-will (as full-round actions), but only on non-living and unattended objects. The effects are permanent.

Skilled Transmutation: At 13th level, the rearranger can alter the very substance of living beings. He may, as a full-round action, grant a touched creature (including himself) an inherent penalty to any one physical or mental ability score of his choice, and grant another physical or mental score an equivalent inherent bonus. He must grant the bonus to the same category of score that he penalized (ie. if he grants a -4 to Str, he must grant a +4 to Dex or Con, etc). This bonus may be up to a -4/+4.

Superior Transmutation: At 16th level, the rearranger is nearly at his peak of power. He casts all transmutation spells as silent and stilled spells, with no increase of spell level. He need not possess the Silent Spell and Still Spell feats to gain these benefits.

Master Transmutation: At 19th level, the rearranger's bonuses from previous powers increase. Basic Transmutation duration increases to 3 rounds. Matter Rearrangement is now a permanent effect. Skilled Transmutation now may grant up to a -8/+8.

Supreme Transmutation: At 20th level, the rearranger reaches the pinnacle of his might. He no longer ages, having gained total control over the matter in his body. He also may cast transmutation spells as though they were quickened, though he may still only cast 1 quickened spell a round.

Spell List:
All Sor/Wiz transmutation spells from the PHB and Spell Compendium, plus those below. Additional spells from the Spell Compendium marked with an *.

0- Everything, transmutation and otherwise.

1- grease, obscuring mist, tenser's floating disk, hail of stone*, ice dagger*, benign transposition*

2- fog cloud, glitterdust, web, shatter, ice knife*, battering ram*, baleful transposition*

3- sleet storm, stinking cloud, bands of steel*, icelance*, glowing orb*

4- stoneskin, minor creation, wall of ice, wall of chaos/evil/good/law*, wall of sand*, wall of water*, stone sphere*, floating disk, greater*

5- major creation, wall of stone, indomitiability*, wall of dispel magic*

6- wall of iron, wall of gears*

7- phase door, ice claw*, avasculate*

8- wall of greater dispel magic*, field of icy razors*, avascular mass*, heart of stone*

9- obedient avalanche*

Rearranger Spells/day
{table=head]Level|0th|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th
1st|2|1
2nd|3|2|-
3rd|4|2|1|-
4th|4|3|2|-|-
5th|4|3|2|1|-|-
6th|4|3|3|2|-|-|-
7th|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-
8th|4|4|3|3|2|-|-|-
9th|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-|-
10th|4|4|4|3|3|2|-|-|-
11th|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-
12th|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|-|-|-
13th|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-|-
14th|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2|-|-
15th|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1|-
16th|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|-
17th|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|2|1
18th|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3|2
19th|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|3|3
20th|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4|4
[/table]

arguskos
2008-12-12, 12:04 AM
Designer's Notes: So, this class was made after some testing showed that transmutation lacked a real class of it's own in my system. It was designed with the idea that changing stuff into other stuff was cool, and should be done more frequently. The spell list includes some minor conjuration spells that I always thought should be transmutation (which, frankly, I think should include making stuff from nothing, since it can be thought of as turning the matter in the air or ground into other stuff).

Also, note that the ability names don't fit that well currently. Suggestions are welcome.

So, thoughts?

Exanedral
2008-12-12, 01:49 AM
I really like it, but I expected a class named "The Creator" to have to do more with Conjuration, not Transmutation. Same deal with the Instant Creation ability. Transmuters are about changing, not creating. Change the ability and the name and you've got a fairly solid class.
Also, Adept, Skilled, and Supreme Transmutation abilities need to be a little limited. Being able to cast Stone to Flesh alone unlimited times per day is way too strong.
Anyway, keep it up, scale it back a little, and I think it'll turn out great.

arguskos
2008-12-12, 03:33 AM
I really like it, but I expected a class named "The Creator" to have to do more with Conjuration, not Transmutation. Same deal with the Instant Creation ability. Transmuters are about changing, not creating. Change the ability and the name and you've got a fairly solid class.
Also, Adept, Skilled, and Supreme Transmutation abilities need to be a little limited. Being able to cast Stone to Flesh alone unlimited times per day is way too strong.
Anyway, keep it up, scale it back a little, and I think it'll turn out great.
Note that that particular ability (the Stone to Flesh power) only functions on non-living, unattended objects. :smallwink: As for Supreme, recall that you get it at 16th level. That's a rather minor ability at that level of power. I see the hesitation though. Maybe limit the level of spells it can affect?

Skilled is something different. Skilled is one of their most interesting abilities, IMO, and one that really emphasizes the whole "I shift stuff around" feel I was going for. Do you have a suggestion for changing it, if you feel it is too powerful?

Instant Creation was just a cool effect I liked and wanted to work in. If you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know. :smallbiggrin:

As for the name... yeah. I agree. It wasn't that good, just the first thing I thought of. Maybe calling it the "Changer"? Or the "Shifter"? Thoughts?

Athaniar
2008-12-12, 04:40 AM
Shaper, perhaps? Or Rearranger?

arguskos
2008-12-12, 04:44 AM
Shaper, perhaps? Or Rearranger?
Oooo, the Rearranger, me likey!! You sir, have won a cookie!
http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/super_mario_cookie.jpg

Athaniar
2008-12-12, 04:46 AM
Yay! A Mario cookie!

*puts away for later use*

arguskos
2008-12-12, 04:47 AM
Yah, I love that cookie picture. :smallbiggrin:

Anyways, I fixed the name, and the weapon/armor proficiencies (I forgot them... :smallconfused:). Any other thoughts?

SurlySeraph
2008-12-12, 01:37 PM
Nice work, and I'm glad you used a few of my suggestions.

Draz74
2008-12-12, 02:57 PM
Worthy of note: The Beguiler, at least, was deliberately given spells of 3 different 5-7th-level spells besides the ones in her specialty schools, so she could qualify for Archmage reasonably easily. I don't know Spell Compendium very well, so I might be missing something, but it looks like your class only can get Transmutation, Conjuration, Abjuration, and maybe Necromancy (evil) spells at these levels, so you might want to throw in some more to even things out. Contingency perhaps would be a thematically-appropriate (if dangerously powerful) Evocation?

Also, the Warmage and Dread Necromancer and Beguiler all have the spells/day table of a Sorcerer. Strange that this class should deviate from that.

Exanedral
2008-12-12, 04:14 PM
Okay, I meant Flesh to Stone. My point is, having unlimited uses of spells like that seemed overpowered to me. Like, anyone bothers you? Flesh to Stone! You could take on a bunch of mid- to high-level characters with bad saving throws (I don't remember which one Flesh to Stone is atm).
I like the new name, though. Keep it up!

arguskos
2008-12-12, 09:39 PM
Okay, I meant Flesh to Stone. My point is, having unlimited uses of spells like that seemed overpowered to me. Like, anyone bothers you? Flesh to Stone! You could take on a bunch of mid- to high-level characters with bad saving throws (I don't remember which one Flesh to Stone is atm).
I like the new name, though. Keep it up!
Well, like I said, that only works on non-living unattended objects, so you can't just use Flesh to Stone on some random commoner (cause... YEAAAAH, that'd be insane!).

Worthy of note: The Beguiler, at least, was deliberately given spells of 3 different 5-7th-level spells besides the ones in her specialty schools, so she could qualify for Archmage reasonably easily. I don't know Spell Compendium very well, so I might be missing something, but it looks like your class only can get Transmutation, Conjuration, Abjuration, and maybe Necromancy (evil) spells at these levels, so you might want to throw in some more to even things out. Contingency perhaps would be a thematically-appropriate (if dangerously powerful) Evocation?

Also, the Warmage and Dread Necromancer and Beguiler all have the spells/day table of a Sorcerer. Strange that this class should deviate from that.
Interesting note on the Beguiler. I didn't know that. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll take a look at that (also, it mostly gets Transmutation with some minor Conjuration/Necromancy spells at those levels) and maybe adjust accordingly. Maybe Advanced Learning for whatever the player wants, to allow access to Archmage?

As for the spells/day, I personally hate Sorcerer progression, for being far too slow, so I deviate from it whenever possible. Note that this class is also a prepared caster with wizard spells known, so Sorcerer progression doesn't make much sense here. Good point about the other classes though, it might be an unbalancing factor in favor of my classes, so I might want to address that. Thanks!

Nice work, and I'm glad you used a few of my suggestions.
Loved your ideas. I felt I should give you some credit to, since you basically inspired the flavor of the Rearranger. :smallbiggrin: Thanks again Surly.

Draz74
2008-12-12, 10:06 PM
Maybe Advanced Learning for whatever the player wants, to allow access to Archmage?

Great, so he can pick off Celerity or something similarly broken? :smallsigh:

I guess the traditional way to add Advanced Learning, though, would require specifying which Transmutation spells are on the list (NOT all of them), in which case everyone would always pick off Polymorph ...

arguskos
2008-12-12, 11:11 PM
Great, so he can pick off Celerity or something similarly broken? :smallsigh:

I guess the traditional way to add Advanced Learning, though, would require specifying which Transmutation spells are on the list (NOT all of them), in which case everyone would always pick off Polymorph ...
Well, ok then, so not Advanced Learning. Do you have another suggestion as to how to make the class more in line with Beguiler & Co.(tm)?

Draz74
2008-12-13, 03:24 AM
Not if you really want it to know all Transmutations.

taltamir
2009-09-09, 05:24 PM
Worthy of note: The Beguiler, at least, was deliberately given spells of 3 different 5-7th-level spells besides the ones in her specialty schools, so she could qualify for Archmage reasonably easily.

This is a custom class meant for settings where wizards/sorc don't exist and all casters are locked into a single school... So the simple fix would be to just rule that this particular prereq of archmage does not apply.

taltamir
2009-09-11, 06:42 PM
I was looking over arcane spell failure, it is very explicit:
1. ASF comes from limits on movement in armor.
2. ASF ONLY applies to spells with somatic components. Spells with no somatic component have no ASF.
3. The still spell metamagic removes somatic component at the cost of using up a spell slot of one level higher.
4. rearrangers get free still spell AND free application of it without increasing the spellslot used by the spell at level 16.

This leads me to conclude that when that happens, ASF no longer applies and they could wear full plate.

EDIT: granted, this is only for transmutation spells, but to begin with they are limited to transmutation spells + a few specific listed spells.

Question, are the spells listed in the rearranger spell list considered transmutation spells when cast by rearranger? or do they maintain their school as listed in their source, and are simply available to him as non transmuation spells.

Admiral Squish
2009-09-11, 07:32 PM
Oohh, unlimited flesh to stone... I could definitely see this being fun, with a 'death artist' who turns everyone the party kills into statues and stores them in a portable hole or bag of holding or something, marking them with arcane mark before doing so.

arguskos
2009-09-11, 09:53 PM
I was looking over arcane spell failure, it is very explicit:
1. ASF comes from limits on movement in armor.
2. ASF ONLY applies to spells with somatic components. Spells with no somatic component have no ASF.
3. The still spell metamagic removes somatic component at the cost of using up a spell slot of one level higher.
4. rearrangers get free still spell AND free application of it without increasing the spellslot used by the spell at level 16.

This leads me to conclude that when that happens, ASF no longer applies and they could wear full plate.

EDIT: granted, this is only for transmutation spells, but to begin with they are limited to transmutation spells + a few specific listed spells.

Question, are the spells listed in the rearranger spell list considered transmutation spells when cast by rearranger? or do they maintain their school as listed in their source, and are simply available to him as non transmuation spells.
If I wanted to make all the spells on his list transmutations, I would have. I am rather aware that he has several non-transmutation spells. He has these for thematic reasons, and not for any metagame concerns such as Archmage qualification or anything. They do not count as transmutations for the Rearranger's special abilities.

EDIT: Squish, I was considering such a character for my own use actually! It's a great image, isn't it? :smallamused:

taltamir
2009-09-13, 03:06 PM
interesting, so by using full plate a rearranger gets terrible ASF on all the non transmutation spells they have.. nice balance... unless they go ahead and take still spell, and medium and heavy armor prof, and use still on all the appropriate spells... this is actually a nice balance, it makes it DOABLE to make a full plate transmuter, just at a cost that is just right, not too high, not too low.

arguskos
2009-09-13, 03:19 PM
That's the idea, indeed. Makes people burn a few feats if you want your full plate caster, but doesn't make it impossible to do. :smallwink:

Calmar
2009-09-30, 05:49 AM
It's probably my fault, but I keep reading "rear-ranger" every time I see this thread and wonder what kind of ranger that might be... :smallredface: :smallbiggrin:

zenanarchist
2010-07-29, 06:32 PM
Nice.

Tiny spell list equals out the 3/4 BAB that you've given them.

I didn't see spells per day....Was I missing that?

Do they get a lot? That might over power it a bit, but I'm not sure?

Anyway, all good!

arguskos
2010-07-29, 06:39 PM
Nice.

Tiny spell list equals out the 3/4 BAB that you've given them.

I didn't see spells per day....Was I missing that?

Do they get a lot? That might over power it a bit, but I'm not sure?

Anyway, all good!
1. What is with you and the BAB issue? :smallannoyed: I hate 1/2 BAB.

2. Spells/day is the table at the end of post 1.

3. This thread is a year old. Dude, I like that you like my work, but please please please don't necro it. :smallwink:

Gandariel
2010-08-08, 05:07 PM
Master Transmutation: At 19th level, the rearranger's bonuses from previous powers increase. Basic Transmutation duration increases to 3 rounds. MATTER REARRANGEMENT IS NOW A PERMANENT EFFECT. Skilled Transmutation now may grant up to a -8/+8.

hemm... you KNOW gold is a metal? and that the Matter Rearrangement ability hasn't a limited range?

Adept Transmutation: At 10th level, the rearranger unlocks another secret of transmutation. He can alter his surroundings, as by casting Stone to Flesh, Flesh to Stone, Rock to Mud, Mud to Rock, Bone to Metal, and Metal to Bone. These may be cast at-will (as full-round actions), but only on non-living and unattended objects. The effects are permanent.

mmh.. this could have uber and overpowered effects in my opinion... MELTING a mountain is the first thing i can think of.
i should look better at the Stone to flesh spell, but you could also solve world's hunger with it...

arguskos
2010-08-08, 05:41 PM
hemm... you KNOW gold is a metal? and that the Matter Rearrangement ability hasn't a limited range?
Yeah so? It's 19th level. You can break the economy well before then, if you wanted to.

mmh.. this could have uber and overpowered effects in my opinion... MELTING a mountain is the first thing i can think of.
i should look better at the Stone to flesh spell, but you could also solve world's hunger with it...
There are limitations on those spells, such as quantity limits. Yes, you could turn an entire mountain into mud... a few cubes at a time... which will attract the attention of anything that lives there... yeah have fun with that.

Also, while I appreciate the attention, this thread is years old. Please don't necro. :smallcool:

Gorgondantess
2010-08-08, 06:22 PM
...That is a very small spell list. A very, very small spell list. Also, I can understand the lack of polymorph/alter self (being widely considered OP), but it seems like baleful polymorph would be a friggin' staple for this class. Honestly, I could see adding alter self/polymorph/shapechange to the spell list, just because it has so few other spells to choose from... and really, most of them aren't very good. Stinking cloud is good, the wall spells are decent, other than that it's pretty mediocre when it comes to higher level spells (of course, levels 1-2 are godly just because of the inclusion of grease/glitterdust). I'm not sure how, but I think you've actually managed to make a fullcaster who scales in a linear fashion, as opposed to a quadratic one.

arguskos
2010-08-08, 06:24 PM
...That is a very small spell list. A very, very small spell list. Also, I can understand the lack of polymorph/alter self (being widely considered OP), but it seems like baleful polymorph would be a friggin' staple for this class. Honestly, I could see adding alter self/polymorph/shapechange to the spell list, just because it has so few other spells to choose from... and really, most of them aren't very good. Stinking cloud is good, the wall spells are decent, other than that it's pretty mediocre when it comes to higher level spells (of course, levels 1-2 are godly just because of the inclusion of grease/glitterdust). I'm not sure how, but I think you've actually managed to make a fullcaster who scales in a linear fashion, as opposed to a quadratic one.
...did you go look at how many arcane spells are Transmutation in the SpC and PHB? It has a spell list with comparable depth to the Beguiler, roughly.

Gorgondantess
2010-08-08, 06:42 PM
...did you go look at how many arcane spells are Transmutation in the SpC and PHB? It has a spell list with comparable depth to the Beguiler, roughly.
...Right. I'm an idiot. I didn't notice it was all transmutation spells, as well as the ones on the spell list: no wonder I thought it was so small.:smallredface:

Well, in that case, I'd say it works... and quite well at that. >.>

arguskos
2010-08-08, 06:45 PM
...Right. I'm an idiot. I didn't notice it was all transmutation spells, as well as the ones on the spell list: no wonder I thought it was so small.:smallredface:

Well, in that case, I'd say it works... and quite well at that. >.>
Haha, it's fine. Happens to all of us. Note: it's all Transmutation spells from the Sor/Wiz list. Otherwise, it'd have like Divine Power or something else truly stupid.

As for it's power, eh, it's not as powerful as you'd think. It fit in well with a party of a Beguiler, a few warriors, and a DNecro. I call it a Tier 3.

Gorgondantess
2010-08-08, 06:51 PM
Haha, it's fine. Happens to all of us. Note: it's all Transmutation spells from the Sor/Wiz list. Otherwise, it'd have like Divine Power or something else truly stupid.

As for it's power, eh, it's not as powerful as you'd think. It fit in well with a party of a Beguiler, a few warriors, and a DNecro. I call it a Tier 3.

...Actually, after that, I think it's more powerful than any of those- I'd call it a tier 2. All of the best buffing spells are in transmutation, most of the best debuffing, then you gave it a lot of really good battlefield control spells as well.

arguskos
2010-08-08, 07:16 PM
...Actually, after that, I think it's more powerful than any of those- I'd call it a tier 2. All of the best buffing spells are in transmutation, most of the best debuffing, then you gave it a lot of really good battlefield control spells as well.
The reason it's Tier 3, IMO, is cause it can't defend itself. It can BC, but so can everyone else really (Beguiler gets some of the same BC spells, DNecros get fear abuse, etc). The Beguiler gets some defenses, and the DNecro has meatshields to tank for it, but the Rearranger doesn't have that. The best it can do as a defensive mechanism is throw up a wall or something and hope it doesn't die.

As for debuffing, eeeeh, I don't see that. It's got some nice tricks, but the staple debuffer effect, Dispel Magic, is nowhere to be seen.

Note that when you claim it's a Tier 2, you are putting it with the Psion, the Sorcerer, and other such gods among men. Now tell me, is the Rearranger closer to a Sorcerer in power, or a Beguiler, and you'll see my logic here. :smallwink: