View Full Version : [3.5] Multiclass Feats

RMS Oceanic
2008-12-12, 07:07 AM
Devoted Champion [General, Knight]
Prerequisites: Smite Evil, Divine Grace, Knight's Challenge
Benefits: Your paladin and knight levels stack for the following:
- Number of Smite Evils/day, Smite Evil Damage
- Number of Knight's Challenge/day, Knight's Challenge DC
- Value of Fighting Challenge and Shield Block abilities.
- Gaining a Special Mount/ Special Mount Powers
In addition, once per encounter, you can expend a Knight's Challenge to get a free smite evil attempt, but only against an opponent you've issues a fighting challenge against.
You can multiclass freely between Paladin and Knight.

Ascetic Champion [General, Knight]
Prerequisites: Flurry of Blows, Armor Mastery (Medium)
Benefits: Your Monk and Knight levels stack for:
- Unarmed Damage
- Flurry of Blows progression
- Stunning Fist attempts
- number of Knight's Challenge/day, Knight's Challenge DC
- value of Fighting Challenge
When wearing armor one category lighter than the heaviest category you have Armor Mastery for, if its armor bonus to AC (not counting enhancement bonus) is less than or equal to your Wisdom Modifier, you are considered unarmored for the purpose of your monk abilities. Ignore adjustments to categories made by the armor being made out of mithral or similar materials - a full plate is always heavy armor.

Kesnit
2008-12-12, 07:59 AM
- Unarmed Damage
- Stunning Fist attempts
When wearing armor one category lighter than the heaviest category you have Armor Mastery for, if its armor bonus to AC (not counting enhancement bonus) is less than or equal to your Wisdom Modifier, you are considered unarmored for the purpose of your monk abilities. Ignore adjustments to categories made by the armor being made out of mithral or similar materials - a full plate is always heavy armor.

Just to be clear, the PC would get their WIS bonus and the armor bonus to AC? So a Monk/Knight with 18 WIS weaing leather armor would add 6 to their AC?

RMS Oceanic
2008-12-12, 08:10 AM
Yes. A Knight/Monk with 16 Dex, 20 Wis and a +5 Breastplate would add a total of +18 to their AC.

DracoDei
2008-12-12, 08:13 AM
Umm... You need to specify the monk level in your example... it is going to be anything in the 1 to 4 range... or do the extras from monk level not count? If not, I think they should... I mean putting limits on it may be good, but that is NOT one of the limits I would recommend...

Also, I am not sure that the "mithrel doesn't count" thing makes sense from a fluff perspective

Neek
2008-12-13, 01:02 AM
Alright. Time for a good critique.

Prerequisites: Smite Evil, Divine Grace, Knight's Challenge
- Number of Smite Evils/day, Smite Evil Damage
- Gaining a Special Mount/ Special Mount Powers
In addition, once per encounter, you can expend a Knight's Challenge to get a free smite evil attempt, but only against an opponent you've issues a fighting challenge against.

It synergizes too bloody well for a feat. With a feat like this, multiclassing causes you to lose very little in terms of core powers. Generally, these feats let you combine class powers in some way or another, but makes it less lucrative than single classing.

Stacking Knight and Paladin to increase the times per day you can smite evil in addition to the damage dealt? Devoted Performer and Devoted Tracker only stack class levels for damage, not per-day. Devoted Inquisitor doesn't even stack for determining squat, and it's actual ability is pretty weak. I'd drop the per day ability increase out of balance.
You stack four abilities from Knight with Paladin levels: Knight's Challenge per-day, it's DC, the value of Fighting Challenge and Shield Block. This is too much. I'd trim the list down. Preferably have the following: Increases Knight's Challenge per-day and DC, and nothing else.
Mount is increased incredibly by this feat, though not nearly so as a Devoted Tracker. This is actually pretty good, but it should be nerfed.
The final ability is pretty good. I have no complaints with it.

- Unarmed Damage
- Stunning Fist attempts

Whoah. Whoha. Waitaminute. What?

Unarmed damage seems consistent with Ascetic Hunter, Ascetic Knight, Ascetic Mage, and Ascetic Rogue. Get rid of the Flurry of Blows progression and Stunning Fist attempts: If 4 of the 4 presented feats don't provide them, it's probably to scale the power of this feat.
Number of Knight's Challenge per day, and Knight's Challenge DC seems in line with the previous feat, but not the value of Fighting Challenge. I'd seriously limit these, but at the same time, I'd vary it. Doing this feels like it's too much like the previous one.
The crux of this feat is letting you stack AC with any armor type that Armor Mastery covers, but one lower. This is where it gets silly. The set up is complicated, slightly: At 4th level Knight, light armor will stack with Wisdom and Dexterity. At 9th level, medium armor will stack with Wisdom and Dexterity. A Monk 10/Knight 10 with 20 Wis, 18 Dex, and at least a mithril breastplage could potentially have an AC of +16 (+4 Dex, +5 Wisdom, +5 Armor, +2 AC bonus from Monk--the feat makes no mention if this stacks or does not stack with the monk's AC bonus, as it is written, it's difficult to read that it doesn't), and it could potentially be higher with Rings of Protection, Mage Armor, Shield, and magical armor. That is ridiculous, and seeing as it does nothing regarding Armor Check penalty imposed by armor, it makes not wearing armor almost senseless and reduces the flavor of the Monk (not that it needs it from any feat, it should actually GAIN flavor). I'd seriously rework this and only let light armor count, it's AC bonus not be limited by the character's Wisdom modifier, and it does not stack with the Monk's bonus.

Lastly, the requirements on both are a bit weird: There's no reason why these shouldn't be available to Knight 1/Paladin 1, and Knight 1/Monk 1. There really isn't.

So provided with these suggestions, here's my redux (going on a different flavor):

Devoted Champion [General]
Prerequisites: Smite Evil, Knight's Challenge
Benefits: If you have levels in paladin and knight, those levels stack for the purpose of determining the extra damage dealt by your smite evil ability and determining the number of times per day you may issue a Knight's Challenge. You may also add half your Knight's level to paladin in determining the strength of your mount.

Once per encounter, you may expend a Smite Evil attempt to increase your Knight's Challenge abilities: Add half your smite damage to the duration of Fighting Challenge, the DC of Test of Mettle, the DC of Daunting Challenge. The duration of Fighting Challenge and the DC increase only applies against evil creatures; neutral and good creatures are unaffected.

In addition, you can multiclass freely between paladin and knight classes. You must remain Lawful Good in order to retain your paladin abilities and take paladin levels. You still face the normal XP penalties for having multiple classes more than one level apart.
Special: A knight may take this feat as a bonus knight feat.

Ascetic Champion [General]
Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike, Knight's Challenge.
Benefit:Your knight and monk levels stack for the purpose of determining your unarmed strike damage and determining the number of times per day you may issue a Knight's Challenge.

If you possess levels in both monk and knight, you may wear light armor without losing your monk class abilities. When wearing light armor, you retain your Wisdom bonus to your armor class, however your Wisdom bonus is limited by your armor's Max Dexterity bonus. You retain most class features while wearing light armor with the exception of the monk's AC bonus. If you possess Armor Mastery (Medium), your armor check penalty is reduced by your Wisdom modifier.

In addition, you can multiclass freely between the monk and knight classes. You must remain lawful in order to retain both your knight and monk abilities, and take levels in either class. You still face the normal XP penalties for having multiple classes more than one level apart.
Special: A knight may take this feat as a bonus knight feat.

Draz74
2008-12-13, 03:19 AM
Good concepts, slightly overpowered compared to other multiclass feats. I'll leave most of the nitty-gritty to Neek, but I have two specific comments:

Ascetic Champion is a very bland name. Not sure what to change it to, but ...

And I don't think the first feat should grant a Special Mount unless the character already has one. (5 levels just in Paladin isn't too harsh a requirement for that.)

RMS Oceanic
2009-01-26, 08:37 AM
I've come up with some more multiclass feats, so instead of starting a new thread, I decided to use this old one. Apologies if this isn't allowed.

First, I went back and revised the two already here.

Prerequisites: Smite Evil, Divine Grace, Knight's Challenge, Shield Block +1
- Smite Evil Damage
In addition, once per encounter, you can expend a Knight's Challenge to get a free smite evil attempt, but only against an opponent you've issued a fighting challenge against.

Prerequisites: Flurry of Blows Stunning Fist, Armor Mastery (Medium)
- Unarmed Damage
- Stunning Fist attempts
- Dodge bonus to AC
- Value of Fighting Challenge
You retain your special monk abilities when wearing light armor. If you also have Armor Mastery (Heavy), you retain these abilities when wearing medium armor. Those abilities that rely on Wisdom, as well as the Wisdom-based component of the DC of Stunning Fist, are limited to the maximum Dex bonus of the armour you're wearing.
In addition, when you deliver a Stunning Fist attack against someone you've issued a fighting challenge to, increase the DC by 2.
You can multiclass freely between Knight and Monk.

And now the new things.

Enlightened Reconisseur [General, Scout]
Prerequisites: Flurry of Blows, Evasion, Skirmish +1d6/+1 AC
Benefits: Your scout and monk levels stack for the Damage and AC provided by Skirmish, the value of your Battle Fortitude ability, the Monk's enhancement to land speed - which does not stack with the Scout's - and your flurry of blows progression.
You can make a special standard attack action with your flurry of blows. If you move at least 20 foot before attacking, you hit not only with your normal attack roll, but any bonus attacks your flurry of blows ability grants you, but not your normal iterative attacks. Standard flurry of blow penalties and Skirmish damage applies to each strike. You can apply this as part of a Spring Attack.
You can multiclass freely between the scout and monk.

Devoted Surveyor [General, Scout]
Prerequisites: Smite Evil, Divine Grace, Lay on Hands, Skirmish +1d6/+1 AC
Benefits: Your scout and paladin levels stack for the Damage and AC provided by Skirmish, fast movement, Battle Fortitude, Lay on Hands amount and Smite Evil damage.
If your skirmish damage applies, you can smite evil with a ranged attack within 30 feet. This benefit can be used even against creatures immune to Precision damage.
You can multiclass freely between Paladin and Scout.