PDA

View Full Version : Need help with names

BarroomBard
2008-12-13, 10:03 PM
Hi everyone. I'm writing a story and am having trouble coming up with names for some peoples.

One is a tribal society with Greek and Gaelic influences
Another is a kingdom that's a fusion of Aztec and Egyptian cultures, with a medieval technology level.

Berserk Monk
2008-12-13, 10:14 PM
You should name the Greek/Gaelic tribe thingy Pottery Barn, and the Egyptian/Aztec place Iron Maiden.
No?
Alright how about Onrop, or Sinep, or Anigav, or Sirotilc, or Mutorcs, or Aibal?
Just don't spell any of those words backwards.

Phae Nymna
2008-12-13, 10:36 PM
*BANG*

*steps over bullet riddled corpse of Berserk*

For the Greco-Roman one, I suggest taking names of Greek heroes or gods and suffixing a dandy -polis to it.

For the Egypt themed cities, I suggest playing with Arab and Egyptian names until you get something you like. Remember also, Egyptians named lots of things after gods, much like the Greeks and Romans, so Bastrak or
Ep-Horustet sound all Egyptian and look like it too.

*burns corpse of Berserk*

EDIT: I forgot the Gaelic one. I suggest a bottle (or seven) of Scotch should get you in the naming mood. After that, you can actually pronounce the names on the bottles. (I'm still puzzled by the name "Laphroaig")

charl
2008-12-13, 10:47 PM
Ancient Egyptian is very different from modern Egyptian. Check up on the Pharaohs and take some of the lesser known ones. The same goes for the others. Kings and rulers of ancient history are very good if you avoid the famous people.

EDIT:

Laphroaig

La-froy-g.

Berserk Monk
2008-12-15, 03:27 AM
*BANG*

*steps over bullet riddled corpse of Berserk*

For the Greco-Roman one, I suggest taking names of Greek heroes or gods and suffixing a dandy -polis to it.

For the Egypt themed cities, I suggest playing with Arab and Egyptian names until you get something you like. Remember also, Egyptians named lots of things after gods, much like the Greeks and Romans, so Bastrak or
Ep-Horustet sound all Egyptian and look like it too.

*burns corpse of Berserk*

EDIT: I forgot the Gaelic one. I suggest a bottle (or seven) of Scotch should get you in the naming mood. After that, you can actually pronounce the names on the bottles. (I'm still puzzled by the name "Laphroaig")

Hey Ink Blot Guy, no ones shoots then burns my corpse without offering to take me out to dinner first. Got it?

Lerky
2008-12-17, 11:04 PM
Hey Ink Blot Guy, no ones shoots then burns my corpse without offering to take me out to dinner first. Got it?

this made me laugh out loud! I think I may just have to sig it:smalltongue:

as for names, I personally always use this (http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/)
I know what a pain names can be so I wish you the best of luck:smallsmile:

Berserk Monk
2008-12-18, 03:27 AM
this made me laugh out loud! I think I may just have to sig it:smalltongue:

as for names, I personally always use this (http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/)
I know what a pain names can be so I wish you the best of luck:smallsmile:

Hey Lerky Man(?), no ones quotes my idiotic rantings in their sig without first shooting then burning my corspe. Got it?

Elrond
2008-12-23, 10:54 PM
That made me laugh to lol:smallbiggrin:

Assassin89
2008-12-23, 11:03 PM
*Stabs Berserk Monk for inappropriate content and nonsensical ranting*
*Then burns corpse for good measure*
For individual names, I suggest combining the names of people, gods in the regions.
For Example:
Quetzalcoatl + Osiris = Quetzaris or Osicotal
Egytp + Aztec = Azypt or Egtec
Sparta + Athens = Sparthens

Berserk Monk
2008-12-23, 11:28 PM
*Stabs Berserk Monk for inappropriate content and nonsensical ranting*
*Then burns corpse for good measure*
For individual names, I suggest combining the names of people, gods in the regions.
For Example:
Quetzalcoatl + Osiris = Quetzaris or Osicotal
Egytp + Aztec = Azypt or Egtec
Sparta + Athens = Sparthens

Hey Assassin 89, the rule for shooting then burning my corpse also applies to stabbing then burning my corpse: you have to invite me out to dinner first? Got it? Haven't you been reading this thread? Bullets and knives are to be treated the same!

Also, as for me nonsensically ranting all over this thread, nice name Assassin 89. What's a matter? Not good enough for rank 1-88. Well, if I ever need a killer, you're the 89th person I'd contact.

Rutskarn
2008-12-23, 11:35 PM
Hi everyone. I'm writing a story and am having trouble coming up with names for some peoples.

One is a tribal society with Greek and Gaelic influences
Another is a kingdom that's a fusion of Aztec and Egyptian cultures, with a medieval technology level.

Off the top of my head:

Greelic One

Faedros

Callica

Fehdrae

Azgyptian One

N'tari

Vekhrami

Sethaiur

Dallas-Dakota
2008-12-26, 07:34 AM
Except that Walrus does. Walrus has so much awesome he may completely ignore the rules.

And with the rules, I don't mean the forum rules, Walrus still needs to follow those.