PDA

View Full Version : [d20r, Class] The Warlord, v2.0

Fax Celestis
2008-12-13, 10:11 PM
Unlike most other fighter variants you'll see out there, this one does not attempt to make the fighter stronger in combat--this does, mind you, but not to the degree of some. Instead, this one chooses to make the exemplary warlord that of a great warrior-leader, warlord, general, or commander-at-arms. As he progresses in level, he grows through martial prowess and into leadership.

This variant also uses the idea of auras similar in spirit to those of the Marshal--and to a lesser extent, similar to the Bard's Bardic Music ability.

Exemplary warlords from myth, tale, and legend include King Arthur, Theoden-King, Sigurd, Gilgamesh, Cuchullain, Finn MacCool, and Beowulf.

{table=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special | Auras
1st | +1 | +2 | +0 | +2 | Bonus Feat | 1
2nd | +2 | +3 | +0 | +3 | Bonus Feat | 1
3rd | +3 | +3 | +1 | +3 | - | 2
4th | +4 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Bonus Feat | 2
5th | +5 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Bonus Feat | 2
6th | +6/+1 | +5 | +2 | +5 | - | 3
7th | +7/+2 | +5 | +2 | +5 | Bonus Feat | 3
8th | +8/+3 | +6 | +2 | +6 | Bonus Feat | 3
9th | +9/+4 | +6 | +3 | +6 | - | 4
10th | +10/+5 | +7 | +3 | +7 | Commandant | 4
11th | +11/+6/+1 | +7 | +3 | +7 | Bonus Feat | 4
12th | +12/+7/+2 | +8 | +4 | +8 | - | 5
13th | +13/+8/+3 | +8 | +4 | +8 | Combat Prowess | 5
14th | +14/+9/+4 | +9 | +4 | +9 | Bonus Feat | 5
15th | +15/+10/+5 | +9 | +5 | +9 | - | 6
16th | +16/+11/+6/+1 | +10 | +5 | +10 | Warlord | 6
17th | +17/+12/+7/+2 | +10 | +5 | +10 | Bonus Feat | 6
18th | +18/+13/+8/+3 | +11 | +6 | +11 | - | 6
19th | +19/+14/+9/+4 | +11 | +6 | +11 | Combat Mastery | 6
20th | +20/+15/+10/+5 | +12 | +6 | +12 | Legendary | 7
[/table]

HD: d10

Skills: A warlord chooses two skill sets. 4 + Int skill points per level, x4 at first level. He also receives Initiative as a bonus skill.

Prowess: A warlord gains 6 points of prowess per level.

Proficiencies: A warlord is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, as well as one exotic weapon of their choice. They are also proficient with all armors and with all shields (but not tower shields). A warlord who uses a weapon he is not proficient with for at least three combats--and suffers the penalties for non-proficiency--gains proficiency with that weapon.

Auras (Ex): A warlord's mere presence is a stirring and motivating force, particularly on the battlefield. At first, third, sixth, ninth, twelfth, fifteenth, and twentieth levels, a warlord selects an aura from the list below. A warlord may have one aura active at a time, and any bonus provided by an aura is considered a morale bonus unless stated otherwise. Switching an aura is a swift action.

Bonus Feat: At 1st level, a warlord gets a bonus combat-oriented feat in addition to the feat that any 1st-level character gets and the bonus feat granted to a human character. The warlord gains an additional bonus feat at 2nd, 4th, 5th, 7th, 8th, 11th, 14th, and 17th levels. These bonus feats must either be Investing feats or Style feats. A warlord must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums.

These bonus feats are in addition to the feat that a character of any class gets from advancing levels. A warlord is not limited when choosing feats gained through advancing in level.

Commandant: At 10th level, a warlord gains a companion--a like-minded individual who wishes to study underneath him. Use the table below to determine level of the companion. Add the character's warlord level to his Charisma modifier to determine his Commandant Score. At this point, he is only allowed one companion, regardless of what the chart reads.

Companions tend to follow in the footsteps of their masters when it comes to class and feat selection, and tend towards the same as their master when it comes to race, alignment, weapon selection, and ability scores, but this is largely up to the DM. A companion must be a humanoid or monstrous humanoid creature whose ECL does not surpass the value listed in the chart below or the warlord's own ECL-2, whichever is lower. In addition, a companion is limited to the following base classes: barbarian, dreadnaught, rogue, monk, or paladin.

Companions are unique individuals and are not easily replaceable, nor are the blindly loyal to the warlord. A warlord who loses one of his companions--whether by death or by departure--must seek out and find a new one before he can continue advancing as a warlord.

Combat Prowess (Ex): Starting at 13th level, a warlord adds 1/4 his warlord level (rounded down) to all fixed, numerical bonuses gained from Investing feats (but not Style feats) as a competence bonus. Do note that competence bonuses gained in this manner do not stack. Furthermore, he may forgo the use of two feats for a duration of one minute--effectively losing them for a short time--to reroll an attack roll, saving throw, or combat-related skill check. If, by losing a feat in this manner a warlord fails to meet a prerequisite for another feat, he loses access to that feat as well.

Warlord: At 16th level, a warlord's fame grows, and he attracts more companions. He is now allowed to have multiple companions, though only one is allowed to be at the ECL listed on the chart (or at the warlord's level -2); all others must be at the listed ECL -2, at the warlord's level -4, or lower.

Combat Mastery (Ex): At 19th level, a warlord adds 1/3 his warlord level (rounded down) to all fixed, numerical bonuses gained from Investing feats (but not Style feats, and instead of the 1/4 he would gain from Combat Prowess) as a competence bonus. Do note that competence bonuses gained in this manner do not stack. Further, he may forgo the use of one feat for a duration of 1d4 rounds--effectively losing the feat for a short time--to reroll an attack roll, saving throw, or combat-related skill check. If, by losing a feat in this manner a warlord fails to meet a prerequisite for another feat, he does not lose access to that feat.

Legendary: At 20th level, a warlord is a living legend. He attracts more followers. At this point, a warlord gains the Leadership feat as a bonus feat, though he does not gain a cohort (already having something similar in his companions). He also gains the ability to found a small town to rule; the followers gained through leadership are inhabitants in this town. Most of these followers are members of the working class--such as smiths, scribes, farmers, and the like--though some (particularly the higher level ones) hail from other professions. Government, laws, diplomacy, and the like are all left up to the warlord.

Auras
Bloodlust
Whenever an enemy falls within 10' + 5'/4 warlord levels, the warlord gains a +1 bonus to all damage rolls. This bonus lasts until the end of the encounter.

Calculating
The warlord and all allies within 5' + 5'/4 warlord levels gain a bonus to Dexterity-related checks equal to 1/2 the warlord's warlord level (round down).

Courageous
The warlord and all allies within 5' + 5'/4 warlord levels gain a bonus to damage rolls equal to 1/2 the warlord's warlord level (round down).

Dauntless
The warlord and all allies within 5' + 5'/4 warlord levels gain a bonus to Armor Class equal to 1/3 the warlord's warlord level (round down).

Everlasting
The warlord and all allies within 5' + 5'/4 warlord levels gain a bonus to Constitution-related checks equal to 1/2 the warlord's warlord level (round down).

Fearless
The warlord and all alies within 5' + 5'/4 warlord levels become immune to fear.

Menacing
All enemies within 5' + 5'/4 warlord levels get a penalty to Concentration checks equal to 1/2 the warlord's warlord level (rounded down).

Mighty
The warlord and all allies within 5' + 5'/4 warlord levels gain a bonus to Strength-related checks equal to 1/2 the warlord's warlord level (round down).

Relentless
The warlord and all allies within 5' 5'/4 warlord levels gain spell resistance equal to 5 + the warlord's warlord level.

Resilient
The warlord and all allies within 5' + 5'/4 warlord levels gain damage reduction 1/-, plus an additional DR 2/- for each 4 warlord levels. This stacks with other sources of DR, such as a barbarian's class feature.

Scheming
All enemies within 5' + 5'/4 warlord levels get a penalty to Armor Class equal to 1/3 the warlord's warlord level (rounded down).

Triumphant
The warlord and all allies within 5' + 5'/4 warlord levels gain access to a pool. This pool has one point in it for each three warlord levels the warlord possesses. Any ally within the aura--including the warlord--can remove one point from the pool to reroll a saving throw, attack roll, or damage roll as an immediate action. This pool resets at the beginning of each encounter.

Tyrannical
The warlord gains a bonus to intimidate equal to the number of allies within 10' + 5'/4 warlord levels.

Unshakable
The warlord and all allies within 5' + 5'/4 warlord levels receive a 5' bonus to land speed, plus an additional 5' per four warlord levels the warlord possesses.

Vigilant
The warlord and all allies within 5' + 5'/4 warlord levels receive a bonus to Listen and Spot checks equal to 1/2 the warlord's warlord level (Round down).

Commandant
{table=head]Commandant[br]Score | Follower[br]Level | Number of[br]Followers
1 or less | 1 | 1
2 | 1 | 1
3 | 2 | 1
4 | 3 | 1
5 | 3 | 1
6 | 4 | 1
7 | 5 | 1
8 | 6 | 1
9 | 6 | 1
10 | 7 | 1
11 | 8 | 1
12 | 9 | 1
13 | 10 | 2
14 | 11 | 2
15 | 12 | 2
16 | 13 | 2
17 | 14 | 2
18 | 15 | 3
19 | 15 | 3
20 | 16 | 3
21 | 16 | 3
22 | 16 | 3
23 | 16 | 4
24 | 17 | 4
25 | 17 | 4
26 | 17 | 4
27 | 17 | 4
28 | 18 | 5
29 | 18 | 5
30 | 18 | 5
31 | 18 | 5
32 | 19 | 5
33 | 19 | 6
34 | 19 | 6
35 | 20 | 6
36 or more | 20 | 7
[/table]

Fax Celestis
2008-12-13, 10:16 PM
Herein lies the problem: The Combat Prowess/Combat Mastery abilities now don't really fit with the premise of the class and are redundant with the introduction of Investing Feats. Therefore, I need replacements. Ideas?

afroakuma
2008-12-13, 10:17 PM
Replace with an extra allocation of points to Investing Feats?

Vic_Sage
2008-12-13, 10:18 PM
Herein lies the problem: The Combat Prowess/Combat Mastery abilities now don't really fit with the premise of the class and are redundant with the introduction of Investing Feats. Therefore, I need replacements. Ideas?
Maybe abilties to grant allies extra move and standard actions?

Neek
2008-12-13, 10:31 PM
I was working on a fighter variant that gave a new power system inspired by the Factotum: Valor points were expended to gain certain bonuses in combat (of a class-defined type, so that it would not stack with itself, but with other bonuses). At a certain point, it would allow the fighter to replicate class features found in another melee classes, albeit at a lower level.

This kept in line with the idea that the fighter is a versatile master of arms.

I would also suggest allowing some weird things: Combat Prowess might let you add your Weapon focus bonus to a whole category of weapons. It'd be an interesting class feature.

Arbitrarity
2008-12-13, 10:34 PM
Replace with an extra allocation of points to Investing Feats?

I.e. a class feature which allows the investment of some number of points, to a total maximum of your BAB+5 or somesuch, and these points can be rearranged as a... full round? Action.

Or, take the Incarnum route, and give a pool, which can switch points as a swift action.

afroakuma
2008-12-13, 10:35 PM
Oh, no, I was referring to his feat investiture concept.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-13, 10:37 PM
I.e. a class feature which allows the investment of some number of points, to a total maximum of your BAB+5 or somesuch, and these points can be rearranged as a... full round? Action.

Or, take the Incarnum route, and give a pool, which can switch points as a swift action.

Great idea, but I'll use it for Dreadnaught.

Ziegander
2008-12-13, 10:39 PM

That is an AWESOME idea, and the Dreadnaught does need it. Definitely thumbs up Arbitrary.

Arbitrarity
2008-12-13, 11:07 PM

Sounds good, Dreadnaught seems more feat focussed as is.

Now, this class has some elements I worry about. The Warlord class feature, for one.

Picking up a bunch of fighters is much more balanced than the usual leadership abuse, but it seems that these would severely slow down combat. Furthermore, the penalty for losing a follower is pretty harsh.

When does Triumphant Aura refresh? It seems fairly powerful if it can be refreshed each round as a swift action, but that might be intended.

Combat mastery doesn't work with investing feats, right?

If so, an idea. Treat all the investing feats as having prowess equal to (1/2, 1/4, something) the warlord's level invested, or the amount invested, whichever is more, and leave the rest of the function as is.

What happens to Prowess that can't be used due to lack of feats? +1 BAB at level 1, but only 1-3 feats. No way you can invest all that.

Ziegander
2008-12-13, 11:23 PM
I have an idea to help speed up combat and still use the followers.

Require the Warlord to spend his own actions to direct these followers, and if he doesn't they don't do anything (save make AoOs).

Swift to grant a follower a move action. A move action to grant a follower an attack. A standard action to grant a follower a non-attack standard action, or to grant a follower a Full Attack action. A Full Round action to grant all of his followers a move or an attack action.

Thoughts?

Gralamin
2008-12-14, 02:06 AM
This class could have problems with the sheer amount of characters it ends up with, though its a very cool idea.

As for trading Combat Prowess/Mastery, I'd imagine more Things to make them weaker by disabling their feats for benefits (either as a group or individual) would work.

Reinboom
2008-12-14, 07:00 PM
Exemplary warlords from myth, tale, and legend include King Arthur, Theoden-King, Sigurd, Gilgamesh, Cuchullain, Finn MacCool, and Beowulf.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this still.
Cúchullain? A warlord? The ability to project auras of power at all is in stark contrast to the very... solo nature the myth tends to project. I mean, he joined in many a battle, but it usually was him joining in as a solo entity.

Gilgamesh is also questionable, imo. He didn't seem to have too much influence other than being, well, heroic and being a king. Enkidu's abilities tended to be much of his own (except in the strange underworld tail, where enkidu failed by not listening).

I also question Beowulf... but, I do not know enough of the myth.

Edit:
Bloodlust works for Cuchullain, however, that appears to be it. I think something other than this class would emulate him much much better.

Also, reading through this closer...

Commandant: At 10th level, a warlord gains a companion--a like-minded individual who wishes to study underneath him. Use the table below to determine level of the companion. Add the character's warlord level to his Charisma score to determine his Commandant Score. At this point, he is only allowed one companion, regardless of what the chart reads.

I hope you mean Charisma -modifier-

Magnor Criol
2008-12-14, 10:55 PM
"Obstreperous"? Really? =p

I like the class overall, nice feel to it. I disagree that the combat prowess and mastery don't fit. A warlord often has to be a savant at combat in order to gain any respect from those they would lead.

While Investing Feats are a similar deal, it's not exactly the same, and it'd be that little extra edge that would set a warlord above a more generic warrior.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-21, 02:34 PM
Included Initiative skill. Also, some edits on aura abilities and alteration on verbage for the bonus feat text.

thevorpalbunny
2009-08-25, 08:28 PM
Resilient is unclear. Otherwise, awesome class.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-25, 10:11 PM
Resilient is unclear. Otherwise, awesome class.

How is it unclear?

Cedrass
2009-08-25, 10:19 PM
I think it should read like this:

The warlord and all allies within 5' + 5'/4 warlord levels gain damage reduction 1/-, plus an additional DR 2/- for each 4 warlord level. This stacks with other sources of DR, such as a barbarian's class feature.

The way you wrote it, it seems like the DR 2/- needs to be equal to something, 1/4 the Warlord's level in fact. It doesn't really make sense, when I read it anyways :smallredface:.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-25, 10:38 PM
Oh, I get it. Fixing...

Person_Man
2009-08-26, 09:31 AM
Yet another great addition Fax.

Quibbles and suggestions you should feel free to ignore:

"A warlord who uses a weapon he is not proficient with for at least three combats--and suffers the penalties for non-proficiency--gains proficiency with that weapon."

You know I love exotic weapons (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5266526). But I'm concerned about this mechanic. What counts as "uses"? If I have a character with Quickdraw, can I cycle through a dozen different weapons in a combat, repeat the process three times, and be proficient with a dozen different exotic weapons at first level? Do I need to use the same weapon throughout the entire combat for every action, making this ability useless for weekend dungeon delves but still open to abuse for long running campaigns? I would just delete this ability.

On the Commandant class ability, I'm of the opinion that all Leadership, Cohort, and Special Mount like abilities should be a separate, optional game mechanic that anyone can use. It's too unbalancing to include it as a class ability.

I agree that Combat Prowess and Combat Mastery don't really fit. I'll dig through my work and see if I can find any helpful suggestions, and I'm sure you'll find something else through comments as well. Perhaps you could give the Warlord proficiency with all Exotic Weapons or all Exotic Armor and Shields as a class ability (or both?). You could even call it Combat Prowess.

Also, this is a bit off topic, but since you're re-writing d20 (and doing a much better job of it then I could) you may want to re-write how class abilities progress. As 3.5 is currently written, characters with Auras, Soulmelds, Binding, or other class specific abilities keyed to their class level in that specific class have a really hard time entering a prestige class compared to casters. There are maybe 1-4 PrC which progress Auras, while there are dozens (hundreds?) of PrC which progress spells. And multi-classing is just a really great option at low levels (to cherry pick the best abilities) while it utterly sucks at high levels (no access to 9th level spells, maneuvers, psionic powers, etc).

Creating a unified mechanic for how class abilities progress would fix this. Perhaps there should be two "rails" of class abilities. The first rail (let's call them Talents for now) includes bonus feats, Evasion, Uncanny Dodge, Mettle, and every other class ability which doesn't depend on class level (including Saving Throws, which should all be keyed to character level instead of class level or caster level). Every class gets one Talent every level (or every other level, if you want to limit the levels you can multi-class on). So by multiclassing you get more flexibility, but give up the higher level Talents, like your Capstone ability.

The second rail (lets call them Abilities for now) includes spells, psioncs, incarnum, aura's, etc. When you multi-class or enter a PrC, this rail always continues to progress. But you only get one set of Abilities which progress on that rail, no matter how you multi-class or PrC. There could also be two different limited optional Gestalt options that you could play in a normal game. One gives you and progresses both parts of the first rail, but never the second, and the other that gives you and progresses both parts of the second rail, but never grants you anything from the first.

In fact, you wouldn't even have to re-write spells, psionics, Incarnum, ToB, or any other Abilities. You'd just have to standardize Talent progression across classes, which you've pretty much already done by filling in all of the dead levels across classes.

Anywho, I'm sure you can think of something better. Just a suggestion. Keep up the great work.

AsuroftheStair
2010-03-31, 02:52 PM
In response to Fax's original question about abilities to replace Combat Prowess & Combat Mastery abilities (which I agree don't fit well with the class), several ideas come to mind:

The ability to activate multiple auras at once (or maybe to simply flavor the current aura with extra abilities)
Loyalty Followers seeing the Warlord in danger or at less than 1/2 max HP get a bonus to attacks and damage equal to 1/4th the Warlord's class level (rounded down).
Spirit Once per encounter, the Warlord can choose to gain a bonus to either Intimidate, Diplomacy, or Perform (Speach) Checks equal to 1/2th class level (rounded down).
Legacy Essentially, the Warlord is declared to be someone's heir, gaining an ancestral weapon, keep, or bloodline (if bloodline feats or templates are used).
Divine Calling The Warlord realizes that he truly has a reason to be on earth, whether revealed through prophecy or direct revelation. When the Warlord is close to finishing a stage of his journey (is fitting a boss who has a specific item he needs, or is having a substantial conflict with his nemisis) he gains a bonus equal to 1/4th his class level (rounded down) to either attack-rolls or the effect of his aura. Of course, he shall eventually fall. After he completes his destiny, he comes against his final challenge, or else fate conspires his death (the DM decides when or how this happens), his max hp is reduced by 1/4th during that encounter. (So if the warlord his having his final, tragic fight against his rival, he could choose to gain a bonus to attack rolls, but suffers the hp penalty)

I think that having followers does fit with the class, and I do like the idea of the Warlord directing his followers. But this doesn't make sense if the Warlord has discussed tactics with his followers before hand.
If you did want to simplify it you could calculate the total CR of the followers and combine that into one creature (2 level 7 followers are stated as a single level 9 follower) I know that would lead to reality conflicts (like a single finger of death killing both at once) but that or somehow combining their attacks w/an increased bonus (similar to getting +2 from flanking) would seem to be like good ways to simplify combat.

Nero24200
2010-03-31, 02:56 PM
Given the tactical/marshal feel of the class, how about a few tactical orientated abilities? Like being able to 10ft step instead of 5, or grant allies the ability to ignore difficult terrain etc.