View Full Version : Dhampir Race
08-21-2006, 03:47 PM
I have heard about the Dand D Dhampir race ,and it seems as if they are just essentialy Vampires without the weaknesses. I wold be very gratefull if someone could stat out a new build for them from my descriptions.These are mostly from the orginal Balkan legends that created Dhampirs.
1. Increased ability to find and slay undead especially vampires.
2.Supernaturally enhanced strength
3.A varity of Vampiric abilites; Ability to turn into mist immunity to any spells that effect the mind, affinity for wolves and bats and able to transform into them.
4.affinity for swords and crossbows.
5. High Knowledge(Religion)
6.Able to cast turn undead as race ability.
These are the basic powers of the Dhampirs. If you need more to stat them out just ask and i would be happy to help you.
08-21-2006, 05:38 PM
I made a Dhampir race ages ago. It probably isn't what you're looking for though.
Actually, it was more of a template, I just wrote it as a race for some reason. Just pretend it has all the human abilities written down as well.
· Mortal: As offspring of two creatures that are effectively of the same species although one is undead, Dhampyr share all the racial abilities of their parent race.
· -4 Con –2 Strength, in addition to any ability modifiers they may get from their parent race, a Dhampyr’s connection to the negative energy plane weakens their bodies considerably.
· Walk close to death: A Dhampyr only heals half as much damage as he normally would from positive energy (i.e. most Conjuration [healing] spells).
· +4 bonus on saving throws v.s. death magic, Dhampyr are resistant to negative energy despite their feeble bodies.
· Spirit Sight: A Dhampyr can see any invisible or disguised undead or outsider in it’s true form as if they had a permanent true sight spell active upon them.
· Spirit Touch: A Dhampyr's natural weapons (usually unarmed strike) count as ghost touch weapons.
Dhampir might be strong in some legends, but mainly they're a bunch of angsty brats with major degenerative conditions that kill off over three quarters of them before pubescence.
Knowledge religion and swords and crossbows would be things they'd get from class levels. Being rare half-breeds they don't have any society to give them weapon affinity.
I you want a more powerful version there's a half-vampire template in Liber Mortis that works fine. Since I haven't seen anything else with a racial turn undead I wouldn't know what kind of level adjustment that could give. I tried to make my Dhampyr race level adjustment 0.
08-21-2006, 07:03 PM
What i'm mainly asking for is a build of a Dhampir as they were before popular culture got ahold of them and essentially destryoed them. I think i might make it me self and have a few questions.
1 For the mist ability, should he be invincible to attacks. You could like, put him in a jar but you couldn't harm him as a mist.
08-22-2006, 05:36 AM
What i'm mainly asking for is a build of a Dhampir as they were before popular culture got ahold of them and essentially destryoed them.
You'd have to rework vampires at the same time then.
As far as I know (which is of course by no means the whole truth) mythological Dhampyr couldn't turn into bats or mist and didn't have superhuman strength because Vampires couldn't either. A Dhampyr would maybe wrestle a vampire, but usually just dig up their coffin and decapitate them. Vampires had no relation to bats until explorers brought back reports of vampire bats in the Americas. A Dhampyr's only power in the legends is the ability to see vampires. I added in a ghost touch ability to let them wrestle with incorporeal undead.
For the mist ability, should he be invincible to attacks. You could like, put him in a jar but you couldn't harm him as a mist.
He shouldn't be any better than a wizard who casts a gaseous form spell. That spell only grants DR 10/magic and critical hit immunity. He would get a 50% miss chance like all incorporeal creatures though.
08-22-2006, 09:02 AM
The mist thing is asot oginally rom the balkans it was later added in Dracula. The wolf thing is very old in realation to vamps. You are right about the bats. Hers where some of my Dhampir info is from;
This is one with more info on thier powers. http://www.netjava.com/~f14lover/info.html
maybe i should just make it like a class for the liber mortis half vampires?
vBulletin®, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.