Uncontainable Nuclear Reaction [3.5 Epic Destiny, PEACH]

Printable View

Quote:

The Warlock may not use an Eldritch Essence Invocation when using either ability, but they may still use a Blast Shape Invocation. If used in an area, the blast also gains a +2 bonus to the DC to resist damage.
Not sure why an AoE makes it harder to resist; that is generally not the case. Anyway, as for the doubling... the way it's worded makes it sound like you get +2 damage per die. I think you may just want to say all damage is tripled, rather than 1.5x'd, if they fail the save. That's less complicated.

Quote:

On Blackened Wings (Ex)
Havoc Ravens are known for their distinctive black feathered wings, which they grow upon reaching their maximum potential as warlocks with knowledge of both the nine hells and the abyss. They gain a fly speed equal to double their land speed with good maneuverability. In addition, they may choose from one of these two continuous effects that take place whenever they fly.

How often are these activated? If it's once per round per creature, then it's fine, and even a little on the weak side (though it is a movement power). If it's every time you pass over them... yeah, that's, assuming you don't increase your speed at all, six saves a round for an unlucky creature, then a blast to the face.

Also, are these abilities "pick once for good" or "pick once a round" "pick at the start of the day" or "choose whenever" type things?

Quote:

Energy Orb (Su)
The Havoc Raven not only holds the secret of infusing energy from the lower planes into their eldritch blasts, but that of using large amounts of energy to create a large, slow-moving blast of energy that allows them to influence the battlefield with the threat of a high-yield explosion. At 24th level, the Havoc Raven gains a unique Blast Shape Invocation. When used, their Eldritch Blast becomes a 10 foot diameter sphere (large-sized) that moves with a fly speed of 20 feet with perfect maneuverability. When it enters the square of one or more creatures, it explodes, dealing the eldritch blast damage of the Havoc Raven in a 10 foot area (no save). In addition, when within 10 feet of another Energy Orb blast, the detonation causes another explosion in the area of that orb, and both cause an additional 4d6 damage. For every orb within 10' after the first, the damage increases by 2d6 damage. The orbs last until detonated, or for a number of rounds equal to the Havoc Raven's caster level.
This is a very cool ability, but very easy to abuse (in open terrain) by simply moving slowly and constantly casting them. Then again, at epic levels open terrain really doesn't exist, and these things move so slowly they probably can't hit anybody, so I guess it evens out the potential to cause a chain reaction of 20+ (possibly superpowered by your first ability) no save eldritch blast's with a whopping 42d6 extra damage on each of them.

Quote:

Eldritch Air Raid (Su)
Havoc Ravens, while renowned for their passive effects on those they fly over, are also known for their tendency to rain destruction with a barrage of eldritch blasts as they fly high above. At 27th level, the Havoc Raven can take a full-round action to move up to their flight speed (as long as they're at least 10 feet above ground) as a charge (so the path must be in a straight line). They may attack any creatures below them with their eldritch blast, with a +2 on the attack roll, a +4 to caster level for spell resistance checks, and a bonus 2d6 damage to their eldritch blast. They are unable to use Blast Shapes with this ability.
Neat, but not as amazing as the other abilities so far.

Quote:

Cataclysmic Blast (Su)
The ultimate Eldritch Blast, this ability fuses both abyssal and infernal energy into one blast, creating a devastating blast that can be seen from miles away. At 30th level, as a full-round action once per day, the Havoc Raven can unleash an eldritch blast that deals damage in an area equal to their character level times 10 feet (this also reaches upward). This blast deals maximum damage for its die, as well as extra damage equal to the Havoc Raven's Charisma modifier times the number of die they possess for their eldritch blast. Creatures must succeed at a Reflex save to resist damage, however, because of the wide area of the blast, Evasion (or improved evasion) doesn't apply. Creatures killed by the blast are utterly disintegrated. Finally, the site is profaned by an unhallow effect (with the radius of the blast), and living creatures take 1d6 damage per round when in this area.
The Havoc Raven is unaffected by their own Cataclysmic Blast; they may not use eldritch essences or blast shapes along with it.
This is pretty nutty, considering by level 30 you probably have a +12 charisma mod at the least, and, when combined with your first ability to increase the damage by a ton (fort save or take tripled damage), that winds up being a maximized eldritch blast with 36 extra damage per die on it, which is... a few thousand. Then again, it's epic, so that's expected.

This is pretty good; all the abilities feel powerful, but it's epic, so they should. It doesn't get any kind of defense, though, which is strange for an epic destiny, especially when three of the four abilities it gets are "Eldritch Blast better."
  • 2010-09-02, 10:34 AM
    ErrantX
    Re: Uncontainable Nuclear Reaction [3.5 Epic Destiny, PEACH]
    I can't say I know diddly about Epic Destinies, but I gotta say this: I love the flavor of it. Good fluff, and I love the final destiny part. Good work!

-X
  • 2010-09-02, 10:36 AM
    strawberryman
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    So you get either three times the normal damage (1.5 X 2) or, if they fail their save, at least 16.5 x the damage (assuming a modifier of +10)? I know these abilities are powerful, and being over time makes it pretty weak, but this still may need reconsideration.

Would making the extra damage be negated by healing magic make it slightly better?

Quote:

Not sure why an AoE makes it harder to resist; that is generally not the case. Anyway, as for the doubling... the way it's worded makes it sound like you get +2 damage per die. I think you may just want to say all damage is tripled, rather than 1.5x'd, if they fail the save. That's less complicated.

Fair enough!

Quote:

How often are these activated? If it's once per round per creature, then it's fine, and even a little on the weak side (though it is a movement power). If it's every time you pass over them... yeah, that's, assuming you don't increase your speed at all, six saves a round for an unlucky creature, then a blast to the face.

Also, are these abilities "pick once for good" or "pick once a round" "pick at the start of the day" or "choose whenever" type things?

...I totally meant to add that, and forgot, I guess. XD It's meant to be changeable at almost any time.

Quote:

This is a very cool ability, but very easy to abuse (in open terrain) by simply moving slowly and constantly casting them. Then again, at epic levels open terrain really doesn't exist, and these things move so slowly they probably can't hit anybody, so I guess it evens out the potential to cause a chain reaction of 20+ (possibly superpowered by your first ability) no save eldritch blast's with a whopping 42d6 extra damage on each of them.

Yeah, that was kind of the point; they move slow enough that anyone paying attention should be able to evade them, but if they slip up, it's gonna bite them in the ass.

Just like real Danmaku! :smallbiggrin:

Quote:

This is pretty nutty, considering by level 30 you probably have a +12 charisma mod at the least, and, when combined with your first ability to increase the damage by a ton (fort save or take tripled damage), that winds up being a maximized eldritch blast with 36 extra damage per die on it, which is... a few thousand. Then again, it's epic, so that's expected.

...I also meant that you can't exactly use the Eldritch Decimation ability; it's essentially both. >>

Quote:

This is pretty good; all the abilities feel powerful, but it's epic, so they should. It doesn't get any kind of defense, though, which is strange for an epic destiny, especially when three of the four abilities it gets are "Eldritch Blast better."

Well, it's basically meant as a full-offense, blow your foes up while laughing maniacally path. :smalltongue:

At any rate, thanks for the insight. *fixes a few things*
  • 2010-09-02, 10:41 AM
    Milskidasith
    Personally, I'd remove the Eldritch Air Raid and transform it into a defensive ability; it's not particularly powerful and can't be used with any of your much more powerful abilities, so it seems the obvious choice to cut.
  • 2010-09-02, 10:43 AM
    strawberryman
    Quote:

Personally, I'd remove the Eldritch Air Raid and transform it into a defensive ability; it's not particularly powerful and can't be used with any of your much more powerful abilities, so it seems the obvious choice to cut.

Fair enough! I'll see what I can cook up.

And, there; added Fiendish Reactive Barrier (...could think up a better name, maybe).
  • 2010-09-02, 10:57 AM
    Milskidasith
    Quote:

Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    Fair enough! I'll see what I can cook up.

And, there; added Fiendish Reactive Barrier (...could think up a better name, maybe).

While reactive actions are OK, I think 12+ (at minimum) reactive eldritch blasts may be a bit much. The eldritch blasts for getting hit in melee are pretty OK, though.
  • 2010-09-02, 12:39 PM
    strawberryman
    Quote:

Whenever a ray or eldritch blast fails to pierce their spell resistance, the Hell Raven may respond with a Eldritch Blast (with an attack roll) as an immediate action.
    There. :smalltongue:
  • 2010-09-02, 01:05 PM
    Milskidasith
    Quote:

Originally Posted by strawberryman View Post
    There. :smalltongue:

I'd keep it a free action, just allow one (or maybe two, since EB doesn't scale amazingly) shot instead of charisma mod.