The All New Prime20 Thread! [3.5/Prime20]

Printable View

Show 60 post(s) from this thread on one page
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  • Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: None. A warforged with a high intelligence must learn languages from his teammates, one per level.
  • Favored Class: Fighter is the favored class of a warforged. However, Scouts prefer Rogue, Psiforged prefer Psion and Snowforged prefer Ranger.
  • 2010-09-07, 06:53 PM
    AtlanteanTroll
    Re: The All New Prime20 Thread! [3.5/Prime20]
    You messed up the spoiler for the Warforged. I think.
  • 2010-09-07, 07:51 PM
    alchemyprime
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    You messed up the spoiler for the Warforged. I think.

Fixed it. Thanks. Also:

I just found where I had put Drow and Shifters, which apparently I finished already. So... I'll just slide these under the door.

Spoiler
    Show

Drow Elf
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Ability Scores: +2 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Cha.
    • Medium: Drow are Medium creatures, and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • Normal Speed: Drow have a base speed of 30 feet.
    • Drow Background: Based on the background of the drow, a drow may have some extra abilities.
      Spoiler
      Show
      • Szarkai- Albino drow, they look just like High Elves. They get a +10 bonus to Disguise checks to look like a High Elf. However, the take a -2 penalty on Perception checks to when in an area with any light above shadowy illumination, as well as on Initiative checks. This stacks with Light Sensitivity.
      • Drey- Bigger, meaner, tougher drow, the Drey are said to be blessed. They have a +1 Natural Armor and +2 to Intimidate due to their shiny, spider-like skin.
      • Niar'streea- Literally “River Death” These are the Aquatic Drow. They gain Resistance to Cold 5, and can breathe underwater. However, they need at least one gallon of water thrown on their skin per day or else they take 1 point Constitution damage per day without. Soaking in water for an hour will undo this damage.
      • Vupdrax- While the Elves have the Avariels, the Drow have the Vupdrax. Batwinged drow. See more on them in the Prestige Races beneath. In order to become a Vupdrax, you must take this background, which grants a drow the ability to ignore the first 10 feet of falling damage.
      • Chath'bar'a- Fire drow. While the Overworld has deserts, the Underdark has volcanic vents. Some drow live near these. Chath'bar'a Drow gain Resistance 5 Fire and a +2 on saves against fire spells and effects.
      • Van'thalack- A drow bred for battle. This sort of drow is trained from near birth to be a subserviant drow and to kill any enemy before them. They gain Weapon Focus in one weapon group of their choice and gain a +2 bonus to weapon damage with their Weapon Focus when below half of their max hit points.
      • House Member- A drow from a noble house. They can levitate themselves. 1 round/day per level they gain Fly (clumsy) equal to their land speed.
    • Spell-like Abilities: Drow may use the following abilities once per day each: faerie fire, darkness, dancing lights.
    • Light Sensitivity: A drow in any light brighter than shadowy illumination gains a –1 on all attack rolls, damage rolls, and Reflex saves, as well as a –2 on her Armor Class.
    • Sleep Immunity: A drow is immune to magic sleep effects.
    • Keen Senses: Drow receive a +2 bonus on sight- and sound-based Perception checks. They can make a Perception check to spot a secret or concealed door if they pass within 10 feet, regardless of whether or not they are actively looking.
    • Weapon Familiarity: Drow are proficient with hand crossbows, scimitars, rapiers and shuriken, and treat any weapon with the word “drow” in its name as a martial weapon.
    • Languages: Common, Undercommon and Elven. Bonus Languages: Goblin, Dwarf, Gnome, Orc, Drow Sign, Salt.
    • Favored Class: Wizard or prodigy (male) or Cleric or favored (female).

Shifter
    Spoiler
    Show
    • Ability Scores: +2 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Int
    • Medium: Shifters are Medium creatures, and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • Normal Speed: Shifters have a base speed of 30 feet.
    • Low-Light Vision: Shifters can see twice as far as humans in conditions of poor illumination.
    • Beastly Muscles: Shifters enjoy a +2 racial bonus to Acrobatics and Athletics (Climb) checks.
    • Beast's Fury: A shifter has skin that is naturally resistant to standard attacks. They have DR 1/silver naturally, and certain feats can improve that. Also, when shifting, they increase this by their Constitution modifier or (character level/4) whichever is lower (minimum 1).
    • Ancestral Mark: A shifter is one of two main varieties: Beastial or Saurian. Beastial shifters are descended from mammal, avian and fish lycanthropes (werewolves, werecats, weresharks, wereeagles, wereplatipi, etc.). Saurian shifters descend from dinosaur lycanthropes (wererexes, triweretops, wereraptors, wereadon) or reptile lycanthropes (weregators, weremeleons). This mark gives them a +2 on saves against the abilities of the creatures their ancestors turned into and chooses their shifting trait for them. Also, they gain an additional power based on what ancestor they are closest to.
    • Shifting Trait: A shifter has an ability to shift, to become slightly more like their ancestor from which their monstrous power descends. When they shift, they gain a +2 to one ability and one extra racial power.
    • Bestial:
      Spoiler
      Show
      • Cliffwalk: +2 Dexterity and gains a climb speed of 20 feet.
      • Dreamsight: +2 Wisdom and gain Speak With Animals active while shifting. Also, any shifter with this trait has a +2 on Handle Animal and Wild Empathy checks
      • Gorebrute: +2 strength and gain a gore attack on a charge that deals 2d6. This gains a +1 per 4 levels.
      • Longstride: +2 Dexterity and +10 feet to speed while shifting.
      • Swiftwing: +2 Dexterity and gains a 20' fly speed (average maneuverability).
      • Truedive: +2 Constitution and gains a swim speed of 30 ft. Also, any shifter with this trait can always hold their breath for 5 x their Constitution score.
      • Wildhunt: +2 Constitution and gains Scent ability. Also always has a +2 bonus to survival checks
    • Saurian:
      Spoiler
      Show

• Broadwing: +2 Dexterity and can reduce falling damage by 40 feet.
      • Junglerunner: +2 Strength and base land speed goes up by 20 feet.
      • Raptorleap: +2 Strength and +4 on Acrobatics checks to jump and always treated as having a running start.
      • Widetail: +2 Constitution and one Tail Slap attack that does 1d6 points of damage with an additional +1 per 4 levels.
    • Any:
      Spoiler
      Show
      • BeastHide: +2 Constitution and +2 to Natural Armor.
      • Longtooth: +2 Strength and a Bite attack that does 1d6 points of damage with an additional +1 per 4 levels.
      • Razorclaws: +2 Strength and gain 2 Claw attacks that do 1d4 + (1per 4 levels) points of damage.
    • Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Any.
    • Favored Class: Ranger or druid.
  • 2010-09-08, 06:51 AM
    DracoDei
    Since there is SOMETHING out there that is immune to just about anything, you might as well give mongrel-folk humans a straight +1 to saves (like 3.5 halflings get).
  • 2010-09-08, 04:50 PM
    The Tygre
    Nice! Got the old band back together! And it looks like you're using some stuff from Green Ronin and China Mieville (spelling?) if my eyes don't deceive me. The Dude is pleased. :smallcool: So ten classes and ten races? Alright, lem'me see here;

Races:
    1.) Tiefling
    2.) Dragonborn
    3.) Genasi
    4.) Orcs
    5.) Changelings
    6.) Kobolds
    7.) Thri-Kreen
    8.) Vodyanoi
    9.) Cactacae
    10.) Goblins

Classes:
    1.) Warlock
    2.) Artificer
    3.) Warlord
    4.) Spirit Warden
    5.) Ranger
    6.) Ninja
    7.) Bard
    8.) Samurai
    9.) Knight
    10.) Wizard

Can't help but notice there ain't no paladin on that there list...
  • 2010-09-08, 08:27 PM
    AtlanteanTroll
    Some of these races (Drow especially) seem like they need LA.
  • 2010-09-09, 12:32 AM
    Dante & Vergil
    My choices for classes would be,
    Wizard, (or General Arcane Caster)
    Cleric, (or General Divine Caster)
    Druid, (or Gerneral Nature/Divine Caster)
    Artificer, (gotta have a magic item maker)
    Warrior, (classic fighter type, but revised)
    Factotum, (perfect jack-of-all-trades type)
    Rogue, (the perfect sneak)
    Ranger, (everyone needs a hunter and tracker)
    A Create-Your-Own Adventurer class (for those days you want to be specific with your build).

My races would be,
    Human, (the usual suspects)
    Elf, (because pointed ears just work)
    Illumian, (a weird but awesome race)
    Colored Dragonborn, (looks like their parent haritage dragon)
    Dwarf, (I have never played one, but I think they are needed)
    Warfarged, (For your Iron Guys)
    Necropolitan, (for that undead party your going to)
    Orc, (bloodthirsty and classic choice)
    Halfling, (so you can complete the fellowship of the ring)
    Gnome (I like mine to be more serious looking than the ones from WoW).

These would be awesome! http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...9_2007/wha.png
  • 2010-09-09, 01:02 AM
    alchemyprime
    Heya Tygre! Glad to see you back! Yes indeed, I did in fact cull a teensy bit from Green Ronin and China Mieville, but they are my favorites. And yes, I fused Crusader and Paladin, because thematically they are the same guy. The big difference was Crusader has no alignment restrictions, so I chose that name for him.

Also, AtlanteanTroll, I am aiming to make it so that every race should be around +1 LA... then ignore LA all together. The basic idea is this: If everyone was LA +2, would LA exist below that? No. So a Prime20 Race in a normal campaign would need a level adjustment, but our goal is to crank the power levels so everyone would normally be about LA +1 or a low +2 (I always rules Drow are a +1 myself. +2s should NEVER have a Con penalty without good SLAs.)

And as for you Dante&Virgil, our Fighter will be revised. Basically, I want to make the following idea behind classes.

Tier 1: Stay out of here. This be where your DM gets pissed and makes rocks fall so everyone shall shuffle off the mortal coil.
    Tier 2: Every PC class should be here.
    Tier 3: If you messed up a PC class, it may end up here.
    Tier 4: The NPC classes! Warrior, Aristocrat, Adept, Gleaner, Magewright, Expert!
    Tier 5: No need to exist. Carry on.
    Tier 6: Commoner.

So I will greatly revise people and give them tons of goodies. Every class should get stuff every level.
  • 2010-09-09, 08:44 PM
    alchemyprime
    Hey guys. I have a serious question now.

I asked my group what they wanted to play. And upon seeing the full list, the new guy (I've known him a long while, but he finally lives close enough to play weekly) says "Revenant Incarnate". Our jaws drop.

So the big question: What should Revenants be able to do?
  • 2010-09-10, 03:59 PM
    DracoDei
    Well, if you are including the Gleaner, you might want THIS guy of mine too... I never did manage to express the full extent of the fluff, but... well, they take the ability that makes Paladin a class that changes WORLDS rather than merely heroes alongside good-hearted fighters, and explore it in greater depth. They are accountability incarnate... and they are definitely too weak to be a PC class (although they might make a good follower for someone with a mixed-class non-cohort portion to his Leadership).
  • 2010-09-10, 05:41 PM
    The-Mage-King
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alchemyprime View Post
    Hey guys. I have a serious question now.

I asked my group what they wanted to play. And upon seeing the full list, the new guy (I've known him a long while, but he finally lives close enough to play weekly) says "Revenant Incarnate". Our jaws drop.

So the big question: What should Revenants be able to do?

Simply put, the Revenant is bound to its body with some negative energy. Though this is true, it can control the essence of souls due to its superior link to the afterlife. [/Utter BS]

Does that work?
  • 2010-09-10, 08:27 PM
    AtlanteanTroll
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alchemyprime View Post
    Also, AtlanteanTroll, I am aiming to make it so that every race should be around +1 LA... then ignore LA all together. The basic idea is this: If everyone was LA +2, would LA exist below that? No. So a Prime20 Race in a normal campaign would need a level adjustment, but our goal is to crank the power levels so everyone would normally be about LA +1 or a low +2 (I always rules Drow are a +1 myself. +2s should NEVER have a Con penalty without good SLAs.)

Hmmm. That makes sense, but humans still seem weak to me.
  • 2010-09-11, 12:25 AM
    alchemyprime
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Hmmm. That makes sense, but humans still seem weak to me.

I will admit, I was a little too conservative with them. Any ideas to make them tougher?
  • 2010-09-11, 07:53 AM
    AtlanteanTroll
    Can't say I do. Which is a shame. Maybe some sort of versatility thing. I'm not sure really.
  • 2010-09-11, 08:05 AM
    DracoDei
    Well, I thought races were supposed to grow with you... unless that is supposed to be handled separately somehow, you might want to give another bonus feat at every level evenly divisible by 4 or something.

On a similar note, making the skill point bonus +2 per level (and +8 at 1st) instead of +1/+4 might not be out of line with the over-the top feel... or even give them 4 extra skillpoints per level (INCLUDING 1st, so NOT quadrupled), with the stipulation that these can ONLY be spent on crossclass skills... they are so versatile they just can't HELP but dabble...

Also, if you REALLY want to make them versatile, instead of a single favored class of their choice, make them completely ignore all XP penalties for multiclassing!
  • 2010-09-11, 12:19 PM
    alchemyprime
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Well, I thought races were supposed to grow with you... unless that is supposed to be handled separately somehow, you might want to give another bonus feat at every level evenly divisible by 4 or something.

On a similar note, making the skill point bonus +2 per level (and +8 at 1st) instead of +1/+4 might not be out of line with the over-the top feel... or even give them 4 extra skillpoints per level (INCLUDING 1st, so NOT quadrupled), with the stipulation that these can ONLY be spent on crossclass skills... they are so versatile they just can't HELP but dabble...

Also, if you REALLY want to make them versatile, instead of a single favored class of their choice, make them completely ignore all XP penalties for multiclassing!

Okay. A few things, DD.

1. Race advancement will be handled separately. It will be a at level X, take an ability from list A type of deal.

Basically, bonus abilities to advance your racial traits or background traits. Allowing, say, a Fire Background elf to either gain Fire Resistance or more Fire SLAs, or focus on improving their elf abilities, or focus on improving their general trait. Humans will use this to pick up skill bonuses, extra feats...

Hm... Maybe I will implement that "Humans are the toughest" mechanic...

2. We use an alternate skill system. All skills are Trained or Untrained, picked at first level.
    Ranks in Trained skills are equal to your level.
    Untrained Skills get an Experienced Bonus equal to half your level.
    Class skills get a +3 Class Bonus.
    When you multiclass, you gain as many extra skills as you would get, or 1 skill, which every is higher. (ie. a Fighter going into Rogue gets 6 more skills trained because (8 - 2 = 6) and (6 > 1), but a Rogue going to anything else only gets 1, because no class has more than 8 skills trained.) Every class after your first gets a +2 Class Bonus to Class Skills, instead of the +3.
    Levels in your favored class improve the Class Bonus for skills by +1.

3. There are no more experience penalties for Multiclassing. I hates them. So instead:
    Levels in your favored class get you
    • +1 HP per level
    • +1 to the Class Bonus to your Class Skills from this class.
    • A +1 to one of your Weak saves at 1st level, 7th level and 15th level (picked at 1st level, can't be changed). If your class has no weak saves (I'm looking at you, Monk), instead you get a +1 to one of you saves at those levels, and you must change which one each time.
    • A +1 on Death Saves if your favored class is your highest leveled class. (Death Save bonuses are hard to come by. Even 20th level characters may end up a +0).

Also, every race has either two favored classes, or can pick any one (Warforged is the exception. They are mighty tough as it is.)

[EDIT] Added Human Versatility to the Human entry.
  • 2010-09-11, 05:32 PM
    DracoDei
    Ok, so I found the formatting of your last attempt at this too hard to read, and thus didn't, so I don't know your system.

That said, did you look at the Guardian of Minds yet?
  • 2010-09-12, 10:55 AM
    alchemyprime
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Ok, so I found the formatting of your last attempt at this too hard to read, and thus didn't, so I don't know your system.

That said, did you look at the Guardian of Minds yet?

I did, and I admit I like him, though he seems a little bit weaker than I'd like for an NPC class even (but admittedly, he does get awesomeness every once in a while).

Other names for it?

Man With No Name
    Leader
    Inspiring Soldier

Just a few ideas. It's hard to come up with one to two word names for some classes.
  • 2010-09-12, 12:25 PM
    DracoDei
    I can power it up while keeping the same flavor (although I thought it was on a par with the Gleaner... maybe I need to re-read the Gleaner)... and I think I will do so...

Does changing all the yearly abilities into monthlys, the monthlys into weeklys, and the weeklys into dailys sound like a good place to start? Maybe a d8 for hitdice? Maybe add Detect Thoughts if they don't already have that? Perhaps even a 3.5 Paladin style Smite (or a choice between that and a very limited selection of Devoted Spirit maneuvers?).

Also, all the names you gave... well, they wouldn't fit the original concept, although with the revision they will be able to do so better. They aren't meant to fight they are meant to guide and mostly in noncombat situations. They find people who are beginning to stray from the path (whatever that path might be) and get them back on it. I envision that can be VERY gentle in the case of SOME Neutral Good ones for instance.... mostly along the lines of descretely whispering to them "Come on, I will buy you a beer and we can talk about it... whatever 'it' is.". On the other hand, a LE one might stereotypically just alert the secret police, and would litterally be the tip of the spear for the "Thought Police".
  • 2010-09-12, 02:07 PM
    The Tygre
    Maybe something like 'The Inspirational', then? One of those simple, but distinct, names. y'know?

The Dynamo
    The Energizer
    The Primum Mobile
    Motiver Force
    The Instigator

I'm just throwin' crap out there.
  • 2010-09-12, 04:55 PM
    DracoDei
    Quote:

Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    Maybe something like 'The Inspirational', then? One of those simple, but distinct, names. y'know?

The Dynamo
    The Energizer
    The Primum Mobile
    Motiver Force
    The Instigator

I'm just throwin' crap out there.

All but the first one ("The Inspirational") would apply much more to a bard than these guys usually. They are based around Detect Chaos/Evil/Good/Law, not Aura of Courage (although they have that too...).
  • 2010-09-12, 06:40 PM
    alchemyprime
    Well, we'll worry about NPC classes after PC classes are at least up and running, alright? Though I do think this Moral Guardian type of a guy could fit in easily, especially as part of a police force leading Warriors and under Incarnates and Crusaders,.
  • 2010-09-12, 07:31 PM
    dragonfan6490
    Alch, I've got to say that I'm glad to see you pick Prime20 back up.
  • 2010-09-12, 08:15 PM
    alchemyprime
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonfan6490 View Post
    Alch, I've got to say that I'm glad to see you pick Prime20 back up.

Glad to see you back! May I request you add this thread to your signature as well, to compliment the old thread and the (terribly out of work) wiki?
  • 2010-09-12, 10:16 PM
    dragonfan6490
    Haha, not a problem my friend.
  • 2010-09-13, 01:32 PM
    alchemyprime
    Does anyone know how to work a wiki by chance? I think we'd look snazzy on a wiki of our own! We even had one, but I lost the password. Any help here?
  • Show 60 post(s) from this thread on one page
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast