[3.5] A... flavourful base class: The Stoner

Printable View

--------

Feats, Races, and Items coming soon.

It is done.

Re-doing the Smoke Elemental was a pain, let me tell you...

Now, for a man (or woman, or genderless being) better than I to actually PEACH it!
  • 2012-03-28, 01:38 AM
    JackMage666
    Re: [3.5] A... flavourful base class: The Stoner
    Finally, I know what class to put when people ask what D&D class I'd be ;)

Anyhow, it's very comical, but I doubt it has much practical use in most games with a serious bent, so it's hard to evaluate.

You should probably clarify Spices a little more. As is it's a bit confusing, but I think it's supposed to emulate Essentia? If so, y

Are Blends crafted and carried like items? How many can he have at once?
  • 2012-03-28, 04:39 AM
    Morph Bark
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    It is done.

Re-doing the Smoke Elemental was a pain, let me tell you...

Now, for a man (or woman, or genderless being) better than I to actually PEACH it!

When you quote something, you don't get quotes in that quote, so you can't quote while you quote.

What I mean to say is, since you put your formatting in a quotebox, he won't be able to get it and put it up. Spoiler it instead.

Either way, I'm loving it. Silly-serious classes are kinda my thing, so you're getting two thumbs up for me. I can't see how this class could not be used in a serious game.

On the sixth-level Cigarette DMC-42's Temporal Throttle ability though: perhaps it would be better to say it does not stack with Haste, Snap Kick and the like, rather than saying it allows for a maximum of 5 attacks. Fits in with existing rules better and does just about the same thing (except 5 attacks maximum would actually nerf TWFers).
  • 2012-03-28, 06:55 AM
    mucco
    Yup, the formatting is outstanding but I can't currently copy it in the OP. And I really want to now.

Blends are crafted similarly to how you roll a cigarette in my mind... the amount you can craft and carry every day depends on your level (5 at 20th level). You get your pool of spices which you can distribute among your blends when you craft them. So it's like essentia but you can't move it around with a swift action.

The DMC-42, it is supposed to say max 5 extra attacks.

I will reword that.
  • 2012-03-28, 11:53 AM
    Lix Lorn
    What is this I don't even. :smallbiggrin:
    (goes to actually read class)
  • 2012-03-28, 06:08 PM
    Amechra
    The formatting is formatted!

I keep forgetting you can't nest quotes on these forums...
  • 2012-03-28, 08:36 PM
    Lix Lorn
    Okay. First off, awesome. I am so very amused that you did this and made it work.

Why half bab? I'd give it 3/4 I think, since quite a few blends make attacking look good.

How many spices do you have? It says you can use up to con mod at once, but not how many you have. Level? Level+con mod?

More Flavours: You never actually said you can only use one blend at a time. You may want to put that in the Blend description.

Blend Enrichments: Why luck? Why not Alchemy? it seems to fit best. Also I'm noticing your pronouns are inconsistent. You, he, and she.

On Mistwalker... why does it only work when you start on solid ground? Maybe have it work as long as you're not moving, to stop you using it as feather fall, but walking out of a river seems awesome.

Have Howling Trip grant perfect maneouverability at high levels. It's so much easier! Plus shiny.

Why does the lemon tree have to go away? Why not just leave lemon trees everywhere?

Shadowsmoke seems strong! Mirror images are /nasty/, and having them replenish is... eek.

Umbral Weapon mentions siege weapons and automatic crits? Both of those look strong, and might need more clarification for a balance call.

Diamond Filter. Whut?

Does Deep Voyage dust have a limit on number of allies?

I feel like Gear Change should scale with your level, rather than your equipment-as is it's UP if you have lots of minor stuff, and OP for one big thing. Plus what if the DM drops you a mcguffin?

The rest is mostly clarifications that would make me seem like a pedant. I love it, I'd allow it with minor changes at most. :smallsmile:
  • 2012-03-29, 08:02 AM
    mucco
    Half BAB because we took the Incarnate as a basis so we wanted some abilities that gave him consistent bonuses if you tried hard. The class is intended to be a good melee only with serious effort and hey, there's a +1 bonus that gives you Medium BAB.

The spices you get are listed in the main class table, along with the BAB, saves, and the maximum blend level available.

Blend enrichments: we wanted a bonus that was uncommon but not too uncommon. We thought about alchemical but, there's basically nothing that gives an alchemical bonus in 3.5 to that would have been the same as an untyped bonus and we thought that is was a bit too strong. About pronouns, I'll read through the text and try to fix it. :smallsmile:

Mistwalker: we wanted to prevent the user from flying 24/7 as long as he could spend an action in 5 rounds. This way he still has to land. Suggestions?

Shadowsmoke: Greater Mirror Image is, IMO, stronger! It doesn't even need an action to replenish the illusions.

Umbral weapon and siege weapons are an obligatory reference to The Gamers. Feel free to disregard.

Diamond Filter is the material component for Revivify, which is the blend's "Unleash the smoke" power. For fluff reasons, you incorporate it into the blend and "burn" it if you use the UP.

Deep Voyage Dust: no, but there is the usual range (60 feet).

Gear change: since this is a blend first gained at level 16, I don't think any magic item is going to be really really OP in a game where T2s are allowed. With this premise, I'm quite sure that any level 16 character will have at least a 36k item, AKA a +6 bonus to one stat. 36k seems high enough for the power to not be UP, in my opinion. About the McGuffin, yeah. As a DM I'd price a McGuffin at 0 gp to make sure that the party doesn't sell it though :smalltongue:

Thanks for the appreciation! And thanks for the formatting!
  • 2012-03-29, 09:06 PM
    Lix Lorn
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mucco View Post
    Half BAB because we took the Incarnate as a basis so we wanted some abilities that gave him consistent bonuses if you tried hard. The class is intended to be a good melee only with serious effort and hey, there's a +1 bonus that gives you Medium BAB.

Ooh, I guess the enrichment makes up for it. Okay. :smallsmile:

Quote:

The spices you get are listed in the main class table, along with the BAB, saves, and the maximum blend level available.
    ...faaaaaail. xD I was tired, if it helps.

Quote:

Blend enrichments: we wanted a bonus that was uncommon but not too uncommon. We thought about alchemical but, there's basically nothing that gives an alchemical bonus in 3.5 to that would have been the same as an untyped bonus and we thought that is was a bit too strong. About pronouns, I'll read through the text and try to fix it. :smallsmile:
    Hmmm. Honestly, I'd rather just make them alchemica myself, cause fluffwise that's what they fit. Maybe morale fits better than luck? I just don't know how luck would fit.

Quote:

Mistwalker: we wanted to prevent the user from flying 24/7 as long as he could spend an action in 5 rounds. This way he still has to land. Suggestions?
    This ability cannot be used in the same round that it ends, and so you fall for at least one round?

Quote:

Shadowsmoke: Greater Mirror Image is, IMO, stronger! It doesn't even need an action to replenish the illusions.
    I didn't even know that spell exists, so fair enough.

Quote:

Umbral weapon and siege weapons are an obligatory reference to The Gamers. Feel free to disregard.
    ...eh, okay. Probably safe.

Quote:

Diamond Filter is the material component for Revivify, which is the blend's "Unleash the smoke" power. For fluff reasons, you incorporate it into the blend and "burn" it if you use the UP.
    ...oh! How did I miss that?

Quote:

Deep Voyage Dust: no, but there is the usual range (60 feet).
    Currently, with the UP, you can teleport an entire army to a campfire. It has no limit on numbers at all. You could literally drop every ally and friend you have ever had on one guy's campfire.

Quote:

Gear change: since this is a blend first gained at level 16, I don't think any magic item is going to be really really OP in a game where T2s are allowed. With this premise, I'm quite sure that any level 16 character will have at least a 36k item, AKA a +6 bonus to one stat. 36k seems high enough for the power to not be UP, in my opinion. About the McGuffin, yeah. As a DM I'd price a McGuffin at 0 gp to make sure that the party doesn't sell it though :smalltongue:
    That's a good point!

Quote:

Thanks for the appreciation!
    No probs, is fun class
  • 2012-04-14, 12:48 PM
    mucco
    Update: added feats.
  • 2012-04-14, 11:50 PM
    Starbuck_II
    I love the class but a word seems to appear I don't get.

What is UP?
    Quote:

UP: You return to full hit points, and are cured of the following conditions: deaf, shaken, dazzled, fatigued, disease. At 13th level, you are cured of poison, blindness, stun, exhaustion, frightening. At 16th level, you are cured of daze, any ability damage, panic, confusion, polymorph. You can unleash this ability even if there is an adverse condition (such as stunning) that would restrict you from acting.
  • 2012-04-15, 12:19 AM
    Lappy9001
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    I love the class but a word seems to appear I don't get.

What is UP?

Ultimate Power, I believe; from Unleash the Smoke feature.

This is remarkably well done, and a great attempt at a less-than-serious source material. Good job!
  • 2012-04-15, 02:33 AM
    Doorhandle
    Like another poster said, this is comedy gold, yet could still be taken seriously if nessicary. I think you could call it somthing like "Master of incence" or "the Inssuflated."

No other real critique as yet except rewording "More flavors" to make it clear that you get one more blend every time they recive the feature.

Also, how many blends/per day? Do you get just the one (that may or may not count as several) but it lasts all day?

Also, is there a blend that gives you a smokey breath-weapon?
  • 2012-04-15, 06:03 AM
    mucco
    UP is the Ultimate Power, yes. It unlocks at level 8 and makes you lose all benefits from that blend until the next day.

You get one blend per day, or more if you already have the More Flavors class feature, and it lasts all day (or until you use its UP).

No blends that give breath weapons. I dislike how having that qualifies you for poorly written metabreath feats and I dislike the shenanigans you can do with that. However, look up the "A Breeze of Life and Death" ability under (Un)Holy Smoke. That's very similar to a breath weapon.
  • 2012-07-02, 02:56 PM
    Popertop
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Currently, with the UP, you can teleport an entire army to a campfire. It has no limit on numbers at all. You could literally drop every ally and friend you have ever had on one guy's campfire.

That actually sounds really badass.

Imagine the bad guys sitting at their camp thinking they are safe and BAM:

An entire militia right in the middle, led by the mythical master of smoke.

This class seems AWESOME.

I'm definitely going to try and convince a DM to allow it.
  • 2012-07-02, 03:10 PM
    mucco
    Good luck!

I've been testing the class and it's strong. It is, in my opinion, comparable to a T1/T2 for power level, with a weak-ish start and a very strong finish.

I'd be glad to know how you find it, if you manage to get in a game with it.
  • 2012-07-02, 05:56 PM
    LordErebus12
    Smoke Vision (Ex): A stoner can see perfectly in smoky conditions (such as those created by pyrotechnics).

Mist Vision (Su): A stoner can see through fog, clouds, and similar obscuring effects with perfect clarity, in addition to smoky conditions.
  • 2012-07-09, 06:49 PM
    Morph Bark
    I just wanted to say your class has been Tiered. Other than sixth-level Blends and fifth-level UPs, it has no Tier 1-2 stuff, which is a good thing. A lot of abilities are missing (Ex), (Su) or (Sp) tags though. Without those, an ability is automatically (Ex), which would be ill-fitting on many of them. Mistwalker is illogical in that it works like air walk, but doesn't actually allow you to walk on the air (since it only works while you are standing on the ground).

2cp.
  • 2012-07-09, 07:00 PM
    mucco
    Huh.

All of the stoner's blends should be (Su) by default... not sure why I haven't included that. Thanks.
  • 2012-07-09, 10:20 PM
    Prince_Of_Mirth
    Bwahahaha! I'm love this!

A quick question though...how exactly do the spices empower the blends?
  • 2012-07-09, 10:31 PM
    mucco
    The effect spices have depends on the specific blend.

Example: Pipeweed. Every spice mixed in this blend given you a +1 Deflection bonus to AC, and +1 fast healing. Without spices you still have the Shield AC, the Goad-like ability, and the ultimate power.

Another example: Blacktar: the stench aura is dependent on the spices mixed, and with 0 spices, the aura does not exist. Therefore, this blend needs at least one spice to work.

Some blends are designed to work well even without many spices or without spices at all, while others need a substantial investment to be useful.
  • 2012-08-28, 04:15 AM
    Apropos
    I don't get how you can get more than two benefits from Hookah of the Almighty's Facet of the Six Ability. It seems to suggest you can invest up to 21 spices, but you only get 16 at max and the cap is limited by your Constitution. You probably meant something else, but would you explain it for me?
  • 2012-08-28, 06:07 AM
    mucco
    If you mix 6 spices into the blend, you will be able to choose three benefits. If you mix 10, four benefits and so on. Currently, the maximum you can put in one blend is 18, using the Pungent Spices feat, so it is impossible at the moment to get all six benefits from that ability. You will be able to get five by putting 15 spices into it, however.

And yeah, the Constitution cap will limit that. It's going to be a hard optimizing work to get a +18 modifier, that's for sure. I know I did it while playtesting and trying to break the class, and the result was that putting all points into that blend makes you quite useless. Invulnerable, but useless. Therefore, I believe it's fine that way!

When we get down to write more, we will add items that give more spices, possibly a feat FoI-style, maybe a stoner-tuned race, and we were thinking about a prestige class or two as well. Those should make it possible to reach 21. In the meanwhile, nothing stops you from making your own magic items or asking the DM for some.
  • 2020-12-16, 04:43 AM
    Ghunter2
    I think that it is pretty amazing class too