New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Conquering the Fantasy Kitchen Sink - Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo!

The only time I know of Mokou meeting a Kitsune is Imperishable Night's extra stage, but that is because of Yukari.

Also CHE(x100)N!
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

2. - Top - End - #512
    Banned

Can't claim to know what she's talking about either. The doujin theory sounds reasonable, but beyond that i have no idea. Still it isn't that unreasonable for Mokou to have met a Kitsune before. She did live for around 1300 years after all and quickly drifted from living among normal people to living at the fringes of society where the youkai were as well.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clintodon View Post
    Well, I found the legend that Mokou's referring to, but I can't help with any references to it in other Touhou/related games/stories:

Nine-tailed fox (Wikipedia entry - check the second section, related to Emperor Konoe)
    Why does everyone ignore this? Its not like Touhou games in general never reference mythology. (Does this mean you'll drop the Green Dragon Crescent Blade?)

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

*shrugs* Most likely a reference to mythology. Maybe she thinks Ran is Tamamo-no-Mae?

EDIT: I shouldn't read so fast.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2010-12-17 at 07:12 PM.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Bugbear in the Playground

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 70

Spoiler
    Show
    Yukari: Oh my, if it isn't the Yama. It's been quite a long time, hasn't it?

Eiki: ...This large-scale strife involving each and every influential person in Gensokyo...I take it you have fulfilled what you set out to accomplish.

My, whatever might you be talking about?

There is nothing you can hide from me. I already know the other half of your reason for inciting this incident. That you wanted to...

Now now, it's still too early to spoil the whole thing...It is indeed as you think, though.

......You truly love this world, I see.

Those who love Gensokyo should stand up to protect it and not leave the job to those non-interfering gods. That is our goal, after all.

...I see. It appears that there is nothing more I need to say. Instead, the process, the results...and you resolution. I shall judge them now!

Well, I'd say it's about time. We finally get to see the instigator of this whole mess, Yukari Yakumo herself, on the battlefield.

BGM: Necrofantasia ~ Sengoku Arr. ~

Yukari has very solid stats with no real weak point. The stat bonuses given to her rather quick shikigami will make them formidable as well. Both Ran and Chen are speedy characters who prefer close-range combat, and can oftentimes start the match off with attacks aimed at your squishier characters to seriously soften up your offensive before you even have a chance to do anything. I like using Keine and Mokou in this situation, as the former is so hard to kill and the latter doesn't mind dying. Absorbing those dangerous early attacks is important, as this gives you a chance to bring down Chen quickly with your own attackers, then get to work wearing down Ran and Yukari.

When I say "wear down", I really mean it. Both Yukari and Ran have excellent defenses, and will take many hits before they go down. Ran is capable of boosting her stats to help offset her dwindling HP, while Yukari's attacks come with added debuffs, so even if you can reduce her damage, you're still suffering from her strikes. Since both of them have such good defenses, I almost never manage to defeat them both before my battle counter runs out. Thus, it's wise to leave Chen and the mooks alive with minimal amounts of HP and have them waste their side's battle counter as well. You don't want Yukari and Ran to freely wail on you at the end when they've still got hundreds of HP left.

Suika: Heya Yukari~. Doing well~?

Yukari: My, hello there Suika. Thank you for all your hard work.

And I really deserve it, you know. You ended up making me like a villain and all. Being a bad girl isn't easy.

My deepest apologies for that. I'll bring you some of the rarest sake from the outside world to make up for it.

That sounds great. I guess you had an even worse time of it, though. Your role was even more unpleasant than mine.

It's fine, this kind of role is what I enjoy most.

You're really such a weirdo. Though I s'pose if you weren't like that, Reimu wouldn't have been as motivated either. It's all up to her now. Anyway, let's have some fun! You're always sleeping the day away, you need to get some exercise too!

My, I'd honestly rather not if you were to be my opponent. but I suppose I'll need to show my thanks for going along with my plan.

You got it! Let me see your full power, Yukari!

The next time around is a real close one. With buffs and debuffs flying everywhere, Suika lands Pandemonium for 4 hits. Normally this would be good news, except all 4 hits were on the mooks and Chen, whom I've been trying to keep alive. With them out of the picture, Yukari and Ran end up with tons of points left on their battle counter at the end of the fight.

With my remaining characters, I made an attempt to take Yukari and Ran down, but soon realized I would not be able to accomplish this with my remaining battle counter. With the counter already at 0, I had Kaguya use Instant Eternity to drop the opposing battle counter by a bit, and made Eirin heal up our party as much as she can. Even with those damage control moves, Yukari and Ran used their remaining attacks to chisel away at the battle guage and turn the tide back in their favor. At least no one died, though.

No more attacks on this turn. If there's this much variance even when we use our higher-level characters, I'd rather not risk seeing how our lower-level character would fare against Yukari.

Turn: 70
    Ouki: 3425
    Ryumaku: 116/145
    Actions Available: 3

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine
    Defense: 250/250
    Cost to Develop: 27 RES

Night-Blind Road
    Defense: 160/160
    Cost to Develop: 33 RES

Faintly Dark Path
    Defense: 175/175

Magic Forest Entrance
    Defense: 180/180

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior
    Defense: 210/210
    cost to Develop: 9 RES

Road of Reconsideration
    Defense: 190/190
    Cost to Develop: 30 RES

Muenzuka
    Defense: 215/215
    Cost to Develop: 6 RES

Human Village
    Defense: 310/310
    Cost to Develop: 36 RES

Garden of the Sun

Nameless Hill
    Defense: 205/205
    Cost to Develop: 9 RES

Misty Lake
    Defense: 225/225

SDM Gate
    Defense: 230/230
    Cost to Develop: 12 RES

Great Library
    Defense: 195/195
    Cost to Develop: 24 RES

Clock Tower

SDM Top Floor

Lost Bamboo Forest

Hidden House

Eientei

Blossoms Barrier
    Defense: 220/220

Hakugyokurou Stairs
    Defense: 200/200

Hakugyokurou
    Defense: 235/235

Enemy Territories:

Yakumo Residence
    Army: Yakumo Clan
    General: Yukari Yakumo (leader)
    Defense: 48/310
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

Everyone repeat after me. Dammit Yukari Random Number Generator! Nothing else to do except wait and attack again.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

7. - Top - End - #517
    Banned

Actually, i personally found Ran harder to deal with than Yukari. Dakini's Possession just gives her insane stats when she uses it, whereas Yukari's Fraying seemed to not trigger that often. We still have the worst enemy on Normal left.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    We still have the worst enemy on Normal left.
    There's worse? I thought Suika was the hardest battle during my playthrough, since that was the one where I was actually worried I might run out of reserve units. Even the final boss didn't give me as much trouble, and I actually beat her with no casualties.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Banned

For me it was Yumeko. She hits like Flandre, moves like Aya and is moderately durable on top of it. She just utterly messed me up whenever she was in a battle. Suika wasn't that bad, Shinki and the final boss weren't either. But damn, Yumeko was brutal.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Orc in the Playground

I actually didn't have any trouble against Yumeko (or at least relatively none), and it was all thanks to Medicine. Or rather, Medicine's ability, which will debuff and drastically reduce damage from anyone who engages in Melee combat with her. Either that, or she went and targeted people like Keine.

In other words, I probably just got very lucky with positioning. Yumeko's ability did get me the first time though (pretty much cut Flandre and Remilia's HP in half I think), since I wasn't expecting it.

11. - Top - End - #521

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 71

Spoiler
    Show
    Yukari: ...So you've managed to come this far, Reimu.

Reimu: Yes I have. Don't you look incredibly satisfied with yourself.

Of course. You coming all the way here means that you've been quite enamoured with my game, haven't you?

......I have one thing to ask.

Go ahead.

No one ever knows what you're thinking, you never listen to what others have to say, and you love getting other people involved into your annoying matters.

My, that's awfully cruel.

But you're not the type to do things without a motive...What is your aim for this whole mess? In other words...What are you planning?

As I said, it's just a game for everyone to enjoy.

Do you really expect me to believe that after we've come this far?

...Your intuition is as sharp as ever, I see. Well then, I'm sure you're aware...just what you have to do to make me answer that question.

...Yukari. You are all that remains. Once I defeat you, I am the winner. Then, you will spit everything out.

Ehehe...Indeed. Alright then, it's time for my final test for you all...Don't disappoint me!

All right...one more time, Yukari!

This one goes a lot better. Mokou was like a magnet for enemy attacks this time, which is perfectly fine for me. She got some excellent use out of Resurrection, which means the rest of my party had enough HP to ensure they could land some strong hits. We didn't competely destroy every enemy, but we got pretty darn close.

Quite a fat amount of exp awaited us for this one. Of course, I'm sure we're all aware by now that this isn't the end...

BGM: Moon Rabbit ~Bathed in Moonlight~

Chen: L-Lady Ran...

Ran: Ooh, ugh...L-Lady Yukari...

Reimu had defeated Yukari and her shikigami, the last army who stood in their way. The long and fateful game had finally come to an end.

Yukari: Boo-hoo...I was thinking that maybe I should let you all win slightly, but you all ended up beating us so badly~.

Marisa: I don't think y'all can lose any worse than you have now, that's for sure.

Reimu: That was pretty vicious in the end, but everything's settled now. And this should finish it all.

Yes, I'm almost reluctant to say it...but oh well. Congratulations, Reimu! You are the champion!

Yaaay! *clap clap clap clap*

*clap clap*

Let's all give a large round of applause!

An uneasy atmosphere settled around the area. Yukari had been smiling jovially and clapping, but the intense stares fixated at her quickly made her hands stop.

Aha...ha...You don't like it?

Obviously!

Wah, come on, you don't have to get so angry about it~.

It's your turn to explain to everyone here just why you started this whole mess in the first place!

Reimu, Marisa, and all the other members of the game gathered around Yukari. Those who were sweet-talked into it by her, those who had different expectations, those who realized what Yukari's goal was...Everyone had different reasons for joining in, but the common thread was that they were all invited by Yukari. It was natural for everyone to want to know what exactly the originator of it all had in mind.

Eiki: ...If you find it difficult to say yourself, would you like me to provide an explanation to everyone else?

Wha? Are ya sayin' ya knew from the start?

Oh, please don't worry about me. I suppose I do have to reveal it, though.

Yukari seemed to come up with an idea as she gave her dress a small wipe. After an uncomfortable silence, she finally opened her mouth.

...It was allllll a prank from me! Hehe, I surprised you all, didn't...I suppose that's not going to work with you all.

We came here with the goal of beating you up...But we know that you wouldn't instigate such a huge incident like this without some ulterior motive.

Your intuition is as sharp as ever...Well, at this point, there's no reason to hide it anymore, so I shall kindly reveal it.

BGM: Legends

...At this point in time, this place is filled with the best of Gensokyo. I believe everyone is well aware of this fact.

Remilia: Indeed I am. There isn't anyone stronger than me, after all.

Sakuya: Milady, that claim is a bit hard to swallow if you consider your loss to Reimu.

You should just keep quiet, no one would've noticed if you didn't point it out.

Cirno: Besides, you're wrong! I'm the strongest!

Yuuka: Now hold on, that claim is simply inexcusable. The strongest in Gensokyo is clearly none other than me.

I'll be the fastest, then.

Aya: Now that's a claim I cannot possibly leave unchallenged.

Merlin: I guess we'd be Gensokyo's best band?

Alice: I'd be Gensokyo's best dollmaster.

Gah, stop derailing the conversation! Yukari, please continue.

Leaving aside who exactly is the strongest for now...It is a fact that everyone is clearly very strong...Yes, perhaps too strong.

For a brief moment, Yukari's face seemed to turn dark from the words she spoke. As she kept talking, her face instantly returned to normal.

Youkai cause incidents, and Reimu resolves them...One of the unwritten rules of Gensokyo. It is done so that youkai can continue to display their power.

Yukari chose then to pause in her explanation. Was it for emphasis, or was there something else she couldn't say? With Yukari's usual behavior, it was impossible to tell which it was.

That's...the spellcard rules that we came to an agreement to, correct? Were there complaints about it?

Not at all. The one-on-one spellcard rules proved to be very popular with nearly every youkai. However...there were no rules regarding the incidents at all. And with the youkai slowly regaining their power...Yes, the incidents themselves were too much.

So ya mean...what, exactly?

Take the Scarlet Mist incident for example. The mist was so excessive that it flooded over to the outside. The outside could've been alerted to our existance.

Patchouli: ...She's right, Remi.

Perhaps we went a little too far.

The Spring Snow incident covered Gensokyo in unseasonal snow. Humans would be unable to live with no spring, and the ecosystem would've been damaged irreparably.

Youmu: Lady Yuko, that would be us...

Yuyuko: I didn't know I did something so amazing.

That is not something to be happy about, Lady Yuyuko...

My my...I suppose so.

And the Eternal Night incident...Causing an incident with the moon would weaken the power of youkai. That would then affact the balance of power in Gensokyo.

Eirin: And that would be our cue.

Kaguya: To be perfectly honest, that possibility never came to my mind.

...All of these incidents have been far too large a scale, and they have threatened the safety of Gensokyo. If this trend continues, soon enough...

Gensokyo will be destroyed...Is that what you're trying to say?

Good, you got my point quickly. And that is why I came up with this whole affair. I started a Gensokyo-scale battle "game", and involved every powerful person...It would give an outlet for all that power, it would be controlled and kept within Gensokyo, and affect nothing else. Brilliant, wasn't it?

Hold up, you've been speakin' this whole time on your reasons for gettin' everyone here involved in your plan.

Yes I have. Is something wrong?

So that means...When you said at the start that you would "make a wish come true"...that was...a lie!?

If I didn't say something like that, no one would want to participate.

Damnit...This was all a...

Marisa fell to the floor, depressed and dejected, as if the entire world had crumbled on top of her. But despite her crestfallen expression, no one said a word.

My my...That hit you hard, didn't it? Well, it may have been a false incentive, but I don't believe I told a lie either, did I?

Whaddaya mean?

After all, the eventual winner gets what they most desired, to be able to proclaim themselves the winner of...That isn't going to fly, is it?

Of course it won't!

Alice: Just what were you going to wish for anyway?

Ahh, ain't it obvious? I woulda wished for...

???: Dearie me, aren't you talking about rewards and wishes far too prematurely?

Who's that!?

An unknown person's voice suddenly rang out above their heads. Everyone faced upwards to see nothing but blue sky at first, but slowly, a shadowy figure began to materialize.

BGM: Moment by Moment ~KIZAKIZA~

Heh heh heh heh...My name is ???, and I have been waiting for...hey, quit it! There's no need to hide my name anymore!

...Um.

Ah, terribly sorry 'bout that. All these people around me made me a little nervous. Let's try this again. Ahem!

Shinki: My name is Shinki, the goddess of Makai! I have endured the worst, hiding in the shadows, waiting for this moment! Good to see you again, Reimu & Marisa!

...Hey Reimu, do ya know her?

Why ask me? She called your name too.

...I've got no clue either.

Heh heh heh...Li'l Yumeko was right, this whole affair would've ended if we just stared and waited!

I think it'd have been better that way.

How could you say that!? We have been surveying Gensokyo for a very long time...Waiting for this exact moment to come to pass!

Umm...No matter what you say, I'm afraid it's already ended.

You won't be getting the good ending if you ignore us! Reimu! Marisa! We challenge you to a battle!

Ugh...I don't want to, we only just finished this whole mess...I just want to go home.

Total agreement here. Alright, I wish for that strange lady to go away.

Ehehehehe...Let's see if you can say that again after watching this! Everyone, how's the operation going?

Shinki spread her arms, and five distortions appeared int he sky above. The distortions were connected with areas quite familiar to those present.

Sara: This is Sara, the target point "Hakugyokurou" has been captured!

Louise: Lady Shinki, "Muenzuka" has been successfully occupied.

Young Alice: The "Magic Forest Interior" is under our control now!

Yuki: This is Yuki. We've taken "Eientei"!

Mai: ......*nod*

Yumeko: Lady Shinki, this is the "SDM Top Floor". There are no abnormalities to report.

And the "Hakurei Shrine"...Hehehe, this shall be mine. My children are excellent, are they not? Well? Will you still be all laid back at our challenge now?

...What's your aim?

Our aim...? For us, to be forgotten is the same as no longer existing...My children, and my world will not disappear so easily.

I'll be waiting at the shrine, Reimu! For you and Marisa, especially...for you two who completely forgot us, I'll make sure that'll never happen again. If somehow, you manage to defeat all my children, you may come to the shrine. Then, I shall be your opponent. Don't keep me waiting! Farewell!

The talkative Shinki returned from the distortion she came from, and disappeared within. The area then became deathly quiet.

...Yukari, what's your excuse for this?

Wait a second, I didn't do anything. And for once, I'm not lying.

Eirin: We just received word from the rabbits...Eientei appears to have fallen into their hands, indeed.

Akyu: so it's probably the same for the other locations as well...

Keine: Good grief, just when I thought it was finally going to calm down around here...

Yuuka: Makai, and Gensokyo...This will be a war unlike all the playing we've been doing up till now. They really didn't like you all forgetting them.

...Actually, I think something's trying to come back to me...but my mind keeps rejectin' it for some reason.

I don't care if they're from Makai or not, they must be very prepared to think they can do what they want here. We have a real incident on our hands now.

Do your best~.

You're the one who started all this! Anyway, let's tidy up and resolve this quickly. They'll see what we've got!

Gensokyo had been unexpectedly attacked by the forces of Makai. Yukari's game would not end until they are chased out of Gensokyo once and for all. The curtain has risen for the final act for Reimu's army.

"Yakumo Clan" has fallen.
    Yukari Yakumo has been taken prisoner.
    Ran Yakumo has been taken prisoner.
    Chen has been taken prisoner.

"Makai Goddess Army" has been formed.
    Hakugyokurou placed under control of Makai Goddess Army.
    Muenzuka placed under control of Makai Goddess Army.
    Magic Forest Interior placed under control of Makai Goddess Army.
    Eientei placed under control of Makai Goddess Army.
    SDM Top Floor placed under control of Makai Goddess Army.
    Hakurei Shrine placed under control of Makai Goddess Army.
    "Makai Goddess Army" - War has been declared.

...And the Makai folks immediately get to work by attacking the Night-Blind Road. Their mooks are at a significantly higher level than everyone before them, but they still aren't that much of a difficulty. However, one problem that we must be aware of is our dwindling Ouki supply. Not only did we lose a fair bit for our losses and character defeats against the Yakumos, but we've lost quite a bit of Ryumaku along with the territories that Makai automatically took. I'm seeking to not only win these fights, but do so with as high HP as possible at the end.

...And we're still not done! Makai launches a second attack, this time on the Road of Reconsideration. We hit them hard with some of our best attackers, including the overwhelming might of Pandemonium, which is very good at destroying mooks. The shortness of these fights makes it worth spending the large counter costs on specials like Pandemonium, because you're going to have more than you need anyway.

...And they're still not finished? Yep, Makai gets up to three attacks each turn! We're sort of out of characters by now due to earlier developments, but even if we did win, I was worried about how much damage we would be taking if we weren't using our better teams.

There are now several different territories we can attack, but we must make some decisions regarding our priorities here. How many attacks do we make each turn? Where to we attack first, and for how long? Who should we be using for each attack?

Patchouli: So, what do you need here?

Marisa: We haven't said anythin' yet.

Reimu and Marisa had come to the Great Library with Patchouli. The top floor had been taken by the other group, but apparently Patchouli's Great Library had been left untouched.

Reimu: We actually went to the village first, but...

Akyu: Hmm...I'm sorry, but the Gensokyo Chronicles do not seem to have any information on those people.

...So that's why we thought of coming here and seeing what we could find out.

I see. This place isn't meant for researching on such specific matters, unfortunately...But feel free to spend as long as you want here.

We owe ya.

...And don't take any books away from here.

Yeah yeah, got it. Okay, let's get this done before the sun sets.

Koakuma: I'll help out too~.

Everyone in the library began to gather ancient-looking books, or those with seemingly-related titles, and flipped through them. but with no clues and such a large amount of books, it ended up as a waste of time.

Hmm...Not this one either. Geez, it feels like we'll never find anything 'bout 'em.

This is hopeless, we don't even know where to start.

Searching randomly certainly isn't doing us any good. Let's change our direction then.

What do you mean?

Do you two remember what that weird woman said when she popped up?

Erm, somethng about being the goddess of Makai, and a bunch of other stuff.

Not that part. She called herself "Shinki", and then addressed you two by name, saying that it's been a long time since you all met.

Oh, that's right! What was she talking about then? Both Marisa and I have no memory of her whatsoever!

That would be quite strange. If Reimu is right abou tit being your first meeting with her, how would she know your names, and what both of you looked like?

Couldn't she just have done research on us before the whole mess started?

Then the "It's been a long time" part wouldn't make any sense...Marisa, you've been awfully quiet for awhile now. What's wrong?

Eh? Ah, uh...There's somethin' about her...Whenever I think about it, it feels like I'm gonna dig up somethin' I reaaaally don't wanna remember.

Something ou don't want to remember...? You know her, then?

Well, how do ya say this...I guess ya could say my body remembers her, if these goosebumps mean anythin'.

You're confusing me even more...Though I can kinda feel it too...Like I have some very weak memory of them hidden deep inside...

They came into Gensokyo and took over multiple areas at the same time. Thinking about it, it seems possible that their "Makai" is in another dimension.

If that's the case, there's no point hangin' round here. We're just wastin' our time.

Wherever they're from, whatever they are, the fact remains that they dared to take over my shrine. I'll kick them out as fast as possible!

...Indeed, Remi's livid at having part of the mansion overtaken as well.

...Yeah. We gotta chase 'em out fast, or my wish ain't ever gonna be granted...Makai, goddess, whatever. We'll bring the hurt on 'em!

Whoever the enemy was, there was only one option: to defeat them. Just as they were about to leave the library with renewed vigour, Koakuma flew at them hurriedly. She had been searching the whole time.

Hey, I've found a book that looks like it's about them!

My, really?

Awesome, good job, now had it over!

Marisa took the book from Koakuma, and flipped to the page that she pointed at. A portrait of a person that looked very similar to Shinki was displayed there.

That's definitely her! This is amazing! You did really well to be able to find this.

I don't live here for nothing, you know! I know what each and every book here is generally about.

...Perhaps I should employ you as a librarian.

You were more helpful than Patchouli, at least...Hm? Marisa? Your face is all pale...what's wrong?

...W...Wahhhhhhhhhh!!

Ahh, Marisa!?

Marisa suddenly threw the book aside, and flew out of the library with both of her hands holding her head.

E, Ehhh...Ehehehe...Ehehehe...

...We probably should leave her alone.

...Yeah, let's do that.

They picked up the discarded book from the floor, and started reading. It indeed displayed Shinki and her group's names and figures, but did not elaborate further on Makai or any details about the group.

...I wonder what Marisa saw that disturbed her so badly?

Hmm, I don't see anything important here...Ah...

That's...You and Marisa...?

Yeah...Seems like it. And here's another familiar face, too...It's Yuuka. What's this all about?

This surely has something to do with the reason why they seem to know about you two...Whatever the reason actually is.

...This is getting creepy, let's just forget about this and just finish them off quickly. They're going to regret kicking others out of their own homes!

[i]Reimu's decision was to stop thinking too deeply about the entire issue, and concentrate on the reality of chasing them out of her shrine...And at that moment, Marisa was...

Ehehe...Black, White, Black-White...Ehehehehehe...

...She ran away from reality in order to protect her from herself.

Turn: 70
    Ouki: 6027
    Ryumaku: 116/128

Our Territories:

Night-Blind Road

Faintly Dark Path

Magic Forest Entrance

Magic Forest Border

Road of Reconsideration

Human Village

Garden of the Sun

Nameless Hill

Misty Lake

SDM Gate
    Cost to Develop: 18 RES

Great Library

Clock Tower

Lost Bamboo Forest

Hidden House

Blossoms Barrier

Hakugyokurou Stairs
    Defense: 120/200

Yakumo Residence
    Cost to Develop: 15

Enemy Territories:

Hakugyokurou
    Army: Makai Goddess Army
    General: Sara

Muenzuka
    General: Louise

Magic Forest Interior
    General: Young Alice

Eientei
    Generals: Yuki and Mai

SDM Top Floor
    General: Yumeko

Hakurei Shrine
    General: Shinki (Leader)

Special Events:

Humans and Magicians
    (No cost for this event.)

Prisoners:

Lots of choices as to what to do now. Where should we attack? How many times should we do it? And who should we use each time?
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's do the Human's and Magicians event because that might power-up Marisa, if its function similar to the Feast event and Reimu.

As for who to attack first, I say go after Sara with Meiling, Medicine, Yuka, Mokou and Keine on the team, but limit it to two attacks.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think we need to give some of the current characters we have the boot, specifically one or two of the lower leveled ones to recruit Yukari (maybe, not sure if she'll join) and Ran.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin89 View Post
    Let's do the Human's and Magicians event because that might power-up Marisa, if its function similar to the Feast event and Reimu.
    I think all it does is just get rid of the negative relations between the three, meaning you can now put Marisa and Alice/Patchouli in the same team. Comparing with the base stats from Extra's character editing, everything adds up to what they should be, so at most it would have given HP. But yes, let's go ahead and do it. It's free, and good relations always help.

Anyway, I'm going to go ahead with memnarch's suggestion for getting rid of some of the weaker characters to get Yukari and Ran. Of course, get rid of any generics who aren't really doing anything first. Going off of that list in the original post, we could replace Rosedia and Ayu.

For attacks, go after whichever territory would give you back the most Ryumaku. I'm not sure how far each territory was developed before we lost them, but I'm thinking that would probably be the Forest of Magic. Also, if you want to record the pre-battle cutscenes, I could re-post that list from a page or two ago with the pairings needed to trigger them.

Also, during my playthrough, I actually cleared Sara out of Hakugyokurou the first full turn I had. And then during the MGA's turn? Her cutscene, with Shinki asking her how control of Hakugyokurou is going, happens.
    Last edited by EifieFlare; 2010-12-19 at 02:08 AM.

15. - Top - End - #525

Seconding Yukari/Ran. Moar firepower is always good, especially when it comes conveniently leveled.

As for what to attack, Day 70 ryumaku is ranked as: Hakurei Shrine, Eientei, everyone else. Haven't played this far myself (stopped to grind res before finishing off the Yakumo's ), but Hakurei Shrine has "taking this first will backfire" written all over it.

Therefore i suggest either Eintei for the ryumaku or M.Forest Interior for relative ease of capture, hopefully in one turn. Most of our territory can soak 2-3 assaults, so i feel we can focus on recapturing over defense. Recapturing M.F.Interior would also remove pressure from the early game territories which are our main source of upkeep. Can't really risk losing those.
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2010-12-19 at 04:55 AM.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

The plot thickens. What exactly is going on with the PC-98 characters?...

This is set before UFO, I take it?

17. - Top - End - #527
    Banned

It is set between PoFV and MoF, Prime. So yes, it is before UFO.

Also we should definitely watch Humans and Magicians, it's one of the best scenes in the game so we shouldn't miss it.

I also think that if Eientei will give us more back than the other areas, we should definitely take that one first. After that we should probably focus on taking those territories that the Makai people are close to taking territories next to.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fourthing (?) Humans and Magicians, and recruit Yukari. I've been wondering when we'd see the Witches subplot play out.
    Last edited by Jm2c; 2010-12-19 at 03:32 PM.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Definitely see Humans and Magicians. I absolutely love that scene.

Yukari and Ran are both great so I'd recruit those two.

For the first attack...I'd say Young Alice's Magic Forest Interior. Besidesing the times when they get insanely lucky with Mirror Puppet, she's probably the easiest of Shinki's generals to take down. Her attacks don't do a large amount of damage and she is horrendously weak to melee attacks.

After that, I want to attack Louise, Sara, Yuki/Mai, and Yumeko in that order.
    Last edited by PKF995; 2010-12-19 at 08:10 PM.

20. - Top - End - #530

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 72

Spoiler
    Show
    The Hakurei Shrine that day contained a rare sight: Marisa was sweeping the area with a broom. The shrine's master had sent Reimu out for work. Reimu in turn gave Marisa a broom and asked her to take care of the lace.

Marisa: Hoo boy, I really came at the wrong time. And if Reimu's actually out doin' some shrine maidenly work that's gotta be a sign of the apocalypse.

She grumbled in a way that would earn her a beating if the Reimu herself was there, but she continued sweeping anyway. The shrine didn't really need cleaning, but Marisa wanted to leave traces to show she had worked.

I guess this should do it? All the trash's been cleared, the fallen leaves are gathered in a pile...Though it ain't enough to roast some potatoes.

The pile of fallen leaves was still small, and their colour did not feel enough like autumn to get the sticks and potatoes ready. Roasted potatoes simply didn't taste as good when it wasn't in season...A guest as out of place as roasted potatoes in summer then showed up while the shrine was under Marisa's care.

Patchouli: So you were here, Marisa.

Whoa, a ghost!

Is that how you greet your guests?

Nah, it's just seein' you walkin' around in the middle of the day...Ya look like a roasted potato.

...Are you calling me fat? ...Anyway, you weren't at your house, so I figured that this place was where you would be.

Absolutely correct, ya sure know me well. I ain't got a prize for you though.

Did you take a book from the library that had a lock attached to it?

A book with a lock attached...? Ahh, I know what you're talkin' about. It's the one ya were beggin' and cryin' for me to take it away.

Perhaps you should get yourself checked for hallucinatory symptoms. Anyway, please return that book.

No way, I haven't read it yet.

You shouldn't be reading it in the first place!

Is that why ya came all the way here? You didn't do this for all the other books. How suspicious.

W-What's with that look...

......Heh, lemme guess. It's your diary, right? That's why ya had it locked. My intuition ain't fading ye, ya know?

Don't be silly, just return it already.

There's no need to be in such a hurry, I'll return it properly...after I'm done readin' it.

I told you, you shouldn't read it, it's...

As the two continued their argument, another person had come from the direction of the Scarlet Devil Mansion, completely clueless as to what was going on...It was Alice.

Alice: Patchouli! I thought you'd be here.

Oh, what's the matter?

I went to the library and was surprised that you weren't there. At least that Koakuma told me you had "went to see Marisa".

...Why'd you come straight here, then?

You're rarely at home after all.

Very good predictive work. You can collect your prize from Marisa.

Ain't got nothin' here. Anyways, what are ya up to?

I went to the library to return a book, and wanted to borrow another. I thought it would be rude to just take it without permission...

That would have been okay, really.

Hold it, that's totally different from what ya tell me!

Obviously. If I say that to a thief, the library will become nothing more than a bookshelf store.

...Marisa, are you still up to your tricks? I'm amazed, really.

It's fine for Alice since she always returned the books she borrows properly. Why don't you try to learn from her example, Marisa?

...Tch, gangin' up on me, huh? I've returned books properly before anyways.

And right after that, you'll take home twice as much as you returned. Now hurry up and give that book back already.

...Bah, fine, whatever. I'll go get it now, so wait a sec.

Marisa scratched her head sulkily, then disappeared inside the shrine. She emerged a short time later, with the disputed book in her hands.

...Why is the book at the shrine?

I was real sure that it was a diary, so I figured I'd read it together with Reimu.

There was no evidence of any tampering with the lock. It seemed that its contents still remained unseen.

A book with a lock...That looks like mine. That book is giving me a bad feeling too.

You understand, huh? That's why I asked you to return it. Otherwise...

Hey hey, what's goin' on here? This ain't your diary? The heck is it, then?

You know...Any magician should be able to feel the faint magic power that's flowing out from that book.

...Sorry, but I ain't a "Magician" like you or Patchouli.

Wait, what's that supposed to mean?

It's 'zactly as I said. Did I hurt your feelings?

You're sounding so unnatural. When did you become so cynical?

That's how I've always been. That's the reason why ya two can feel it and I can't, ain't it?

...What's wrong with the both of you?

Heh, how amusing...All those sentimental words you said about magicians and such back then don't work so well in reality, huh?

Ohh, is that how ya want to do this? It's just this book that's your only "proof" of your supposed superiority anyway.

The argument started to heat up as they traded barbs back and forth. Patchouli was caught in the middle, clueless as to what was going on, and helpless as to what she could do.

Why are you two getting so agitated? Calm down.

Patchouli's right. Why don't you just calm down and accept it? It's the truth, after all.

...Sure, why not. To be honest, I was feelin' a li'l guilty about readin' this since I thought it was a diary...But since I was wrong...!

Ahh!?

Marisa slowly put her hand on the lock, and used her magic power to physically destroy it. The remains of the lock dropped to the floor, leaving no signs of what it used to be.

Marisa, what are you doing!?

A sham of a magician like me can't feel any weird things from this book after all...See? Nothing's happenin'.

Marisa started to flip through the pages of the book. It contained complex magic formulas accompanied by plain designs and the odd explanatory text.

That is a grimoire I wrote in the past. I ended up neglecting it for awhile, so...

I see, so ya wrote this. Then that's even less reason why this should be a problem...Hm?

As Marisa continued skimming through the pages, she abruptly stopped at a completely blank page. All the pages after were blank as well. She flipped all the way to the last page, then looked back up.

So this ain't a diary, it's just one of your incomplete projects...What's the big fuss all about?

Marisa, you've never written a magical grimoire before?

I have, but I don't write anything 'cept the bare minimum. Well, Alice? Where's this amazin' magic power you were on about? Huh? Huh?

She opened the book towards Alice and flipped the pages again. It didn't appear to be anything unusual. However, the faint distortion that appeared beneath Marisa's feet did not go unmissed by Patchouli. And then...

Move!

Eh? ...Uwah!?

BGM: Moment by Moment ~KIZAKIZA~

A vast amount of energy erupted from the stone pavement with a thunderous roar, launching Marisa into the sky. Marisa tried to run, but she couldn't move her arms and legs, as if something was holding them still.

W-What the hell's goin' on!?

That book has a methodology on how to absorb energy from the surroundings and convert it into magic power! It targets everything, so it's difficult to control!

That's why ya left it as is!? Why did it just activate by itself!? Is this one of your traps!?

Magic formulas wich aren't completely written out are extremely unstable and dangerous!

So that's why ya locked it...Then why did ya put it in a library!? ...Anyway, I gotta get myself outta here...H-Huh? I feel so...tired...

The flow of energy continued to lift Marisa into the sky. She tried to struggle, but the magic had bound her somehow. Soon, all her energy left her body. She could no longer move.

This is bad, it's absorbing Marisa's magic power...and her vitality as well.

Is there a way to save her!? Can't we do anything?!

Once activated, it will continue to absorb all energy around it and grow...So we need to isolate it with a barrier of sorts to cut off its supply!

Don't stick your nose in this, I can get outta here my...Ugh!

Even her energy to protest was being absorbed, let alone the energy she needed to escape. It was clear that this needed to be dealt with quickly.

Don't be so stubborn! Patchouli, let's hurry!

I know!

Alice and Patchouli measured their distance to keep away from the energy absorber. They then threw Alice's dolls and Patchouli's magic-enhancing ribbons around the swirl of energy, surrounding it.

First, we have to quarantine that energy, and get Marisa out!

Alright! On my count, one, two...three!

The many dolls and ribbons suddenly emitted a magical string that connected all of them in a rectangular shape. It broke off the flow of energy from the ground, and the restraints on Marisa became loose.

Marisa...!

Alice flew up quickly, and tackled Marisa to force her out of the remains of the flow of energy. She then fell to the floor dizzily.

P-Patchouli...!

Leave the rest to me!

Patchouli released more magic power, and the barrier made by the dolls and ribbon grew larger, growing from where Marisa had been held. It eventually encompassed the entire region that the energy was flowing. With its source of power gone, the flow of energy gradually grew weaker. The barrier grew smaller with it, until it disappeared entirely, leaving a hole in the ground. The grimoire had also been fully burnt up.

Whew...It's over. Alice, how's Marisa?

Marisa! Marisa! Are you awake!?

Roll Back ~ From Now

Marisa had lost consciousness from exhaustion, but a couple of light slaps on her cheek caused her to slowly open her eyelids with a groan.

Uuugh...W-What just happened...?

It's alright. Patchouli and I dealt with it somehow.

Fortunately, it only stole some of your energy. You should be fine after some rest.

Ahh...Serves me right, huh...I ended up bein' saved by you all...

Don't tell me you're still...!

That's...how it is. I was stubborn as a mule, did some real stupid things...And this is the result. I'm a miserable fool.

Marisa...

I guess...a fake like me really can't compete with real magicians like you two.

Marisa, what are you saying...

Marisa used her near-lifeless hand to adjust her hat downwards, with Alice still helping her to sit up. She then began to explain bit by bit.

I've always been arguin' with Alice 'bout humans and magicians...I didn't want to lose. Not as a human, nor as myself. I didn't want to accept it. But...I've got my limits. I ain't special like Reimu, I'm just a normal human...No matter how many times I challenge y'all, the result'll always be the same.

...Sorry about everything, Alice. In the end, the half-baked one who threw away her future and refused to see the truth might've been me. You were always...always so much better than me...Sorr-

Marisa!!

...Alice's palm struck Marisa's cheek. But the reason for it was different this time. Marisa opened her eyes in shock and pain. Alice looked like she was in agony, as if she was the one who was slapped.

Better...? You're lying! Did you not know what I went through when I became a magician...? Do you think I didn't feel anything?! When I became a magician, the person that I was up to then disappeared...I cast everyone aside for my own selfish purposes! How can I be "better"!?

Alice, you...

...I do not regret it. It was the path I chose to walk. But...You, who stuck stubbornly to your humanity, and worked so hard to prove yourself...I...I envied you so much. So if you're saying things like that now...Then all those things I felt...!

Alice had to force out the emotions that were hidden deep inside her. The words she uttered were ones that no one else had ever heard.

I...I was a magician from birth, so such things were natural to me. So it may not be my place to speak about this. But...When I see you two with such strong emotions about a matter that I could never feel...It makes me a little envious.

Hey now...Everyone's envious 'bout what they don't have. From my point of view, I've got a lot more to be envious about from you two...Hey, Alice. Why did ya want to become a magician?

I...What about you, Patchouli?

......Because there's magic.

......Because there's magic to study.

......Because there's magic I want.

......Mmmph...

Ahahahaha...

Heh...We're all basically the same, huh...? I guess we all think too much...Just a simple line woulda solved everythin'. Alright!

Marisa used all her might and lifted her body to stand upright. The bright expression on her face seemed to indicate that she was completely back to normal.

Ack, don't just stand up like that! Is your body really okay? Maybe you should rest a little longer...

I ain't like a certain asthmatic witch, this ain't nothin' to me!

...Hehe, if you're talking as frivolously as that again, I suppose that means you're fine.

Anyways, we're closed for the day. I've had enough of bad experiences to last me a lifetime.

I guess you're okay now...It's getting a bit late, so I'll be going home. See you two again!

I'll get an earful from Sakuya if I don't return soon...Make sure you learn a lesson from this, and stop carting my books away!

Thanks for everything ya did today. I'm back to myself now, so ya don't hafta worry 'bout a thing! See ya!

Alice and Patchouli went back to their homes after saying their farewells. Marisa saw them off and waved goodbye, and when they disappeared from view, she collapsed and leaned back onto the donations box.

Whew, I'm really spent now...I can't even move a finger...Ahh, what's Reimu gonna say when she sees this hole...She'll probably be...really...mad...

Marisa gazed at the hole as she mumbled to herself. Her eyelids slowly began to close. She fell into a sleep so deep that she didn't even dream. Yet from her face, it was clear that something was on her mind.

From when she was born, till what she was now, all the people she met, and her own future...Marisa might well have been scared of losing these things, or seeing them change. Did Alice hold all this uneasiness inside her too? Did Patchy just accept it like it was normal? She smiled to herself in her sleep, feeling stupid for letting such things dig so deep into her heart and worry her.

Marisa's story has been cleared.

Yukari: Ah, Reimu...I knew you would come.

Reimu: Of course I would! I have so many questions for you to answer! You better answer all of them properly!

Questions, hm...? Didn't I explain already? Instead of an incident, I...

Not that part! I'm talking about THOSE people who just showed up and took over my shrine! Why did they appear!?

Now now, do calm down first. It's true that they were outside my predictions. Why would've thought the residents from the old world would popout now?

The old world...?

Oopsie, just forget that. Anyway, this incident was extremely surprising to me as well, so I can't explain much about them.

Hmph...it seems you aren't lying at least. Fine, but since you helped create this whole situation, you better help resolve it too.

Me~? Hm~...Alright. I'll help you all out.

Oh my, what's wrong? You look like you were expecting there to be one more step on the staircase, but there wasn't, so you ended up tripping onto your face.

What a contrived analogy...Well, I just didn't think you'd go along with what I said so obediently, that's all.

My, that's awfully rude. My game had already finished, yet someone forcefully added an extra-time period. It's naturally my job to settle it, don't you think?

I can't decide if your intentions are noble or not.

...And of course, I would like to see if my objective was fulfilled in the end.

Are you STILL plotting something!?

Who knows~. Anyway, call on me whenever you need me. Bye bye~.

Ah, Yukari, I still have...At least let me leave on my own, geez!

As Reimu fell through the gap that opened beneath her feet, only Yukari remained. A smile played on her lips as she recalled all the events that had occurred.

The fact that she's gotten this far is proof that she's changed...Hehe, it seems it was a success. Suika, you did your job perfectly as well. Now, all that's left is to take a look at things up close...

Yukari Yakumo became an ally.

Reimu: ...You don't look very happy.

Ran: ...Of course. Seeing your face worsened my mood considerably.

That's some greeting.

It's simply utterly depressing. I was unable to fulfill Lady Yukari's expectations, and lost to you all...I'm a failure of a shikigami.

Yukari didn't seem like she was expecting you to beat us anyway.

Gaaahh...Y-You know, people usually have more tact than to say things like that...

why are you talking like a human?

I may be taller than most humans, but my heart is still as delicate as theirs...*sigh*

A shikigami that needs to be worked on, rather than vice versa, huh...Anyway, if you want to regain your dignity as a shikigami, then fight with us.

...As Lady Yukari's shikigami, I serve no one else but her.

Don't act like it's beneath you. Besides, if you don't show yourself as worthy on the battlefield, Yukari might just get rid of you anyway.

Ooh, ugh...Isn't this basically coercion?

I'm just stating facts?

...I suppose I have to show my good points off a bit, or Lady Yukari will have no confidence in me...Fine, I'll help out...But my master is always Lady Yukari.

I know, I wasn't planning on changing that in the first place. Anyway, make sure to work really hard, Yukari might be watching~.

...It feels like I've just been manipulated...What she said was true, though...Lady Yukari, please look favorably on my efforst from here on!

At this vital point in time, the fact that Yukari spent the majority of her time asleep had crucially slipped Ran's mind.

Ran Yakumo became an ally.

Each of Makai's generals won't appear in the first battle of their territory, so we can't get any of the cutscenes yet. We basically just mop the floor with some mooks instead. Granted, their levels are a lot more respectable now, at least.

There was a split in deciding whether to capture Eientei or the Magic Forest Interior first, so I decided to hit each area once. That puts us in a position to take either one next turn with two attacks. Between the two, which one should we go for?

(Mai's cute. I envision her being voiced by Kana Hanazawa. Sure, she gets barely more words than Rinnosuke in this game, but I like her all the same.)

(Wait, did I just type that?)

The Makai army succeeded in their blitzkrieg tactics, taking most of Gensokyo's major areas under control. With the shrine now protected by a barrier, Shinki returned to Makai to oversee the war leisurely.

Shinki: Ahaha, the look on their faces! It was a masterpiece, wasn't it, li'l Yumeko?

Shinki was talking through a similar bend from her first appearance, which showed Yumeko at the Scarlet Devil Mansion.

Yumeko: I am afraid I did not see their faces, so I cannot comment.

Is that so? That's too bad, I'd have loved for you to see it too...Imagine the face they would make if they hit their head on a wall by complete surprise.

...I am afraid I find that hard to picture. Your role went off without a hitch, I take it?

Indeed, I declared war on them in front of so many people. And with the shrine under my control, this is some very sweet revenge on Reimu.

I do not think that she will take this lightly. Please take the utmost care when dealing with her.

That's why we have this barrier, though. Make sure you don't let them break it, li'l Yumeko.

Understood. How are the others holding up?

Hm...I don't have to worry about you, but the other children aren't as strong as you, huh? I'll go check on them right now.

With a wave of the hand, another distortion appeared right next to the one with Yumeko. The new bend allowed her to view a certain someone else.

Sara: Wah, Lady shinki! You did a very good job!

Sara, how's the situation over there? You're a gatekeeper by trade, so I thought you might have some troubles with attacking...

Ah, I'm sorry to have worried you! There are no problems right now...Well, maybe...

Hm? What's wrong?

...What is this place? ...I've not seen a single person, and there are ghosts floating around everywhere...It's all kinds of creepy!

Well, that's to be expected. That's basically "the other world", if you know what I mean.

Ah, ah, ahhh! The "other world"!? L-Lady Shinkiii, am I so unneeded that you sent me here to die!? Ooh, oooooh...

Don't take it the wrong way, you'll be coming back after...Oh whatever, let's go to the next one.

With another wave of the hand, the bend that showed Sara made an indescribable noise, and moved on to the next destination.

Louise, how are things over there?

Louise: Ah, Lady Shinki. My apologies for worrying you.

It's no matter, as long as you're fine and doing well.

W-Well...There haven't been any huge problems, but...Um, just what kind of place is this...?

What? Is something affecting even you?

This place is called Muenzuka, correct? There's just something very eerie about this place...This is the first time I've seen purple cherry blossoms...

Geeze, you and Sara are both the same. Just keep it together, alright?

Yes, it's scary, but you can still count on ...Eeek! What sound was that...? Lady Shinki~!

Alright, neeeext. The youngest, and the one I'm most worried about. Li'l Alice?

Young Alice: Ah, Lady Shinki! No problems here!

Good grief, li'l Alice is so courageous, yet those other two...

Ehh, did you say something!?

Ahh, no, nothing. Anyway, are you okay being alone, li'l Alice?

Yeah, this place was kinda dark and scary at the start, but I'm fine now! I found a really cool house!

Oh? What kind of house is it?

It's decorated with lots of cute dolls! I've never seen so many of them in one place! That's why I don't feel alone.

That's good to hear. Do your best for just a little while longer, okay?

Okaaay!

Mm, it's a relief to see li'l Alice so happy. Now for the last one...li'l Yuki, li'l Mai, are you two holding up okay?

Yuki: Ah, Lady Shinki! There's been no problems here!

......*nod*

This mansion is amazing! It's huge, and there are so many rabbits around! Mai has been playing with them and chasing them around for ages...

......*slap*

Oww! What was that for, Mai! It was the truth~!

It looks like you two are doing well, that's good. But don't make too much of a mess, alright?

Yeah, understood! There's really no way we'll get bored here! So many long corridors and empty rooms...

......Idiot. *slap*

Ow ow owww! Stop hitting me Mai, it hurts!

...At least the're full of energy. Alright, li'l Yumeko? Do your best too.

...Yes, I shall work my hardest to make up for what the others lack.

Yumeko cut off the communications, with an expression that made her look like she was carrying the whole operation on her shoulders. Shinki, now alone, slowly stood up and looked at the faraway scenery.

Our world was buried by the flow of time, and left behind by the rest. It may not be entirely bad...But this is still a perfect chance to show them our power!

Only a single attack this turn, this time attempting to repel our forces at the Magic Forest Interior. We only have four characters available, but they happen to be some of our highest-leveled characters. I stuck all four of them in Close range, and let the wreck havoc.

Turn: 72
    Ouki: 1907
    Ryumaku: 123/129

Our Territories:

Night-Blind Road

Faintly Dark Path

Magic Forest Entrance

Magic Forest Border

Road of Reconsideration

Human Village

Garden of the Sun

Nameless Hill

Misty Lake

SDM Gate
    Cost to Develop: 18 RES

Great Library

Clock Tower

Lost Bamboo Forest

Hidden House

Blossoms Barrier

Hakugyokurou Stairs

Yakumo Residence

Enemy Territories:

Hakugyokurou

Muenzuka

Magic Forest Interior
    General: Young Alice
    Defense: 110/210

Eientei
    Defense: 130/230

SDM Top Floor

Hakurei Shrine

Those who are magicians and those who are not both enjoy life equally.

(Please ignore the location of that cutscene.)

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess Yuki and Mai have a Boke And Tsukkomi Routine going on, and I wonder what will happen when we introduce them to the ulimate boke. As for which general to attack, I say go for the time paradox.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Banned

Take Eientei first, then the Magic Forest Interior. We really need to get those Ryumaku up again fast to do this.

And yes, humans and magicians should learn to deal with each other. Although, i can't help but feel that the real reason Marisa is still human is that she's kind of a failure at magic that doesn't just make things blow up according to Akyu. So she probably can't actually pull off those spells and is too proud to admit it to others.
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2010-12-20 at 06:36 AM.

23. - Top - End - #533

I just realized that I'll be traveling all day tomorrow, so it seems unlikely that I'll be able to update tomorrow either. Sorry.

For Eientei vs. Magic Forest, please reiterate your vote if you haven't done so yet since the last update. I don't want to miss your choice.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Dwarf in the Playground

Go for whichever would give the most Ryumaku. I think that's the Magic Forest, but I'm not sure.

25. - Top - End - #535

Magic Forest. The one extra ryumaku we'd get from Eientei (4 vs 3 ryumaku) isn't quite as important as is the security of the remaining 11 ryu Forest territories.
    The remaining enemy territories in order of threat to our holdings would be:
    Muenzuka (2 ryu), SDM top floor (3 ryu), Hakugyokurou (3 ryu), Eientei (4 ryu).
    In what seems to be sneaky foresight, none of these territories are worth more than 4 ryu/turn.
    The only major loss in ryu was Hakurei Shrine which we cannot reclaim until last anyway.

BTW, does the game auto-level newly formed factions to be on par with the player? I did some level grinding to L30 before mopping up the Yakumos, only to be greeted by L29-32 Makai units .
    Kinda wondering whether that's based on time, average team level, highest character level, some combination thereof or something else altogether?
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

26. - Top - End - #536

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 73

Spoiler
    Show
    BGM: Roll Back ~From Now

Young Alice: You're finally here! I'm gonna beat you all up really bad!

Alice: Ah, my dolls...!

Ehh, this is your house? Uh...Hmph, I'm not gonna say sorry!

(...What's with this kid...? It feels like I know her from somewhere...From a long, long time ago in fact...)

Why'd you get all quiet?

Ehh? Ahh...It's...It's nothing. Now, be a good girl and return my dolls to me!

No! If you want it back so bad, come and take it!

Fine then, I'm not going to hold back!

Little Alice bravely defends the Magic Forest Interior against a whole hoard of attackers. I almost feel sorry for her.

BGM: Black Tortoise ~The Seven Northern Mansions~

To answer an earlier question, I believe mooks start with a base level that's unique for each army, and then gain additional levels after every few turns. The rate at which they gain levels is different depending on which difficulty level you're playing on, and possibly which army they belong to as well.

Chibi Alice has an ability that was absolutely broken in earlier versions of Sengoku Gensokyo. In the current version, all it does is tack on extra attacks each time she attacks, up to 3-4 times (although usually just 1 extra attack). However, in the original game, a bug caused her ability to trigger over and over again until the target was dead, thus making her ability a really long OHKO move.

With two successful attacks, though, the Magic Forest Interior returns under our control.

BGM: Roll Back ~From Now

Young Alice: Wahhhhh! Why doesn't my magic work...! I'll remember this~!

Alice: Ah...Wait...!

...? W-What, if you're trying to get in my way, then...Ah, but...your dolls were really cute...That's all, goodbye!

Ehh...? Ah...

Reimu: What's going on here?

Marisa: That girl somehow reminds me of you. She's definitely got the conceit part down pat.

Are you calling me conceited!? ...Ah well, it's all probably just my imagination. Don't mind me.

You're weird.

(What is this feeling...It feels like I'm looking at myself in a mirror. But...)

Hey, we're gettin' ready to leave.

Yeah...I'm coming.

(...See you again, my other self.)

Shinki: .........

Shinki had been walking back and forth along the same path for a while now. She wasn't doing anything, or thinking of anything...she was simply bored.

I'm so booored! Bored bored BORED!

Of course, she could repeat it all she liked, but nothing would happen. Starting with her attendant, the maid Yumeko, all the main people had went out, leaving Shinki alone at the shrine...or rather, at Makai.

...This is annoying, I didn't know it'll be so boring not having anyone to talk to...And trying to would be kind of like bothering them.

If she wanted to just talk, she could open up a bend like she did the other day, but since it might interfere with their work, she decided not to. She was surprisingly sensitive about the weirdest things.

Maybe I shouldn't have made this barrier...? But knowing Reimu's group, they would've gone straight here...And the children wouldn't get a turn.

And it's their fault in the first place! How could they forget us! If they didn't...Well, it'd have been the same both ways, I guess...Actually, were we really forgotten? Their reactions were more like they never knew us to start with, rather than not actually remembering us...It would be quite sad for us if no one from the outside knew us anymore. Ever since then, none of them have ever came here...Something must've happened.

The olden memories lay deep within Reimu and Marisa. But those memories refused to resurface. From Shinki's vantage point, she could see all of Makai at a glance, and all she could feel from it was loneliness.

Makai is my world. I created everything in it. Therefore, once my power is lost, Makai shall cease to be...I may be a god, but I am not immortal.

The day would come where this world would no longer exist. There just wasn't anyone who knew exactly when. The girls could not understand such tragedy, but what did Shinki, the center of it all, think about it?

That's why...That's why we must make history remember our names and faces...So, someone hurry up and come here already~!

...For that to happen, Yumeko and the others would have to have failed in their duty, but Shinki was never one to think too deeply about such things.

Makai makes their counterattack on Eientei, but we've got plenty of people to hold them off right now. With at least 20 different battle-ready characters, we've got enough (wo)manpower to attack and defend a total of four times each turn.

A second attack occurs at the Faintly Dark Path. An important thing to note here is that we're not done with ko-Alice. She's back to play with us again.

Each time a territory is captured, whoever was in charge of it will randomly show up for all future battles. Given how many battles are needed to defeat the Makai Goddess Army, and considering just how many unique units they have, you can imagine that there's actually a sort of strategy for which characters to let loose like this.

Turn: 73
    Ouki: 2260
    Ryumaku: 123/133

Our Territories:

Night-Blind Road

Faintly Dark Path

Magic Forest Entrance

Magic Forest Border

Road of Reconsideration

Human Village

Garden of the Sun

Nameless Hill

Misty Lake

SDM Gate
    Cost to Develop: 24 RES

Great Library

Clock Tower

Lost Bamboo Forest

Hidden House

Blossoms Barrier

Hakugyokurou Stairs

Yakumo Residence

Magic Forest Interior
    Cost to Develop: 9

Enemy Territories:

Hakugyokurou

Muenzuka

Eientei
    Defense: 130/230

SDM Top Floor

Hakurei Shrine

...Is it that obvious that this game was made before U.F.O.?

27. - Top - End - #537
    Firbolg in the Playground

.....no? Should it be? Also, little distracted at the moment so it might be obvious later.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

28. - Top - End - #538

Was referring to Shinki lamenting over how no one visits Makai anymore...when stages 5 and 6 of UFO take place in Makai.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ogre in the Playground

I think this picture is relevant to the situation.
    Young Alice's attack used to be like the Psycho Cyan glitch from Final Fantasy VI, where he countered his own attacks.

As for Eientei, why do I get the feeling that Cirno's scene with Yuki and Mai will emerge similar to her M-1 routine with the Scarlet sisters...
    Last edited by Assassin89; 2010-12-23 at 09:34 AM.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin89 View Post
    I think this picture is relevant to the situation.
    Young Alice's attack used to be like the Psycho Cyan glitch from Final Fantasy VI, where he countered his own attacks.
    MISSION FAILEO