New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1477
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: MitD III: You are likely to suggest Tarrasque

It's not pointless because while we can't be sure, we can still narrow down our choices a fair bit. And like I said, I cold still be wrong.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

He's a Grue.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IronWilliam View Post
    1. Rich is not the kind of guy yo systematically eliminate every plot hole for every punch line. If he tried, we would get a new strip every 6 months.
    This thread doesn't require Rich to eliminate every plot hole, only for him to actually have thought up one (1) creature in strip #100, and then use that one creature's powers when it was appropriate. Given how little MitD actually does, all he needed was a strong monster capable of teleporting. He chose one, and has been dropping clues about the other characteristic of said monster ever since.

2. We already know that Rich doesn't follow the D&D rules to the letter. This means that rule-based theory's, while useful, may be inconclusive.
    I notice you have not offered another way to approach the problem. That would be because putting together the evidence such as it is, and trying to piece together the truth from an incomplete picture, is the only way to reach agreed positions, both in science and in this thread. Will this process 100% certainly lead us to the correct answer? Of course not. But it is the method with the highest probability of getting us somewhere.

3. Rich said "it's possible to guess.", not that it's possible to confirm one answer as being right and ruling out all other possibilities.
    Sure. What's your point though? That we should give up? That we should change method to something else?

4. We have collectively searched heaven and hell through every sourcebook. If there was a monster that was a perfect fit for the MitD, we would have found it.
    Ah, I was wondering where this was going. In my head, this is the "the thread is over" kind of post. I call BS. Sure, good ideas are not coming in every day, but amazingly they do actually trickle in every so often. It took us a long while for someone to propose Slaad. It took even longer for the Protean to become a credible forerunner, when someone found the teleportation-through-umbral blot angle.

Not to mention that since not all the evidence is in, then the perfect fit at this time is likely impossible. My usual example: Rich reveals that MitD is a mixed lineage (for example: MitD finds his mom, and he points out she looks nothing like his dad). Suddenly, Templates are placed on the table, opening up a whole new section of discovery.

Oh, and then there is that word you used: "sourcebook". First, we haven't. The amount of third-party sourcebooks out there is immense, and as far as I know no-one has looked through them all. Second, whatever makes you think that MitD must be a D&D monster?

I'm not saying to give up the search, I could be wrong. But I don't think we can conclusively prove just what MitD is.
    Of course we can't. This isn't math, so conclusive proof is utterly impossible. Even if we did find a perfect fit - like, say, the Protean - there will always be doubts, and people wanting it to be a miniature Tarrasque because when they squint at the Go! board they see horns. But I am wondering, why post this at all? As I have asked several times: Yes, we may not figure it out before the reveal. So what?

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    But, as Gray Wolf will say when he arrives, if we assume this, this thread is pointless. Therefore, we assume that a rules based analysis WILL have relevance so we can search.
    Precisely. This is fun, and we might even figure it out. Unlike, say, V's sex, which will never be revealed, or Belkar's alignment, that already has.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor View Post
    He's a Grue.
    No, he is not.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2011-02-03 at 07:08 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #1324

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    stuff
    Was just joking about the Grue Thing, because of the dark and everyone is driving themselves crazy about what MITD is.

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Titan in the Playground

Was just joking about the Grue Thing, because of the dark and everyone is driving themselves crazy about what MITD is.
    Well, it's very hard to tell humour on the Internet without external clues. Furthermore, even if it could have been funny, the fact that the grue is in the Frequently Proposed Discarded Ideas section means that I've got very tired of hearing about it, thus removing what little humour value I could've found in your post. That's why the FPDI section exists in the first place.

But most importantly, as any of the thread habituals will tell you, I prefer to be safe that sorry about these lightning proposals. A while ago someone proposed some weird creature, everyone ignored it, and said poster thought that it meant no-one could think of something against it, thus making him right. I will not go through that again.

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

6. - Top - End - #1326

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Well, it's very hard to tell humour on the Internet without external clues. Furthermore, even if it could have been funny, the fact that the grue is in the Frequently Proposed Discarded Ideas section means that I've got very tired of hearing about it, thus removing what little humour value I could've found in your post. That's why the FPDI section exists in the first place.

But most importantly, as any of the thread habituals will tell you, I prefer to be safe that sorry about these lightning proposals. A while ago someone proposed some weird creature, everyone ignored it, and said poster thought that it meant no-one could think of something against it, thus making him right. I will not go through that again.

Grey Wolf
    Relax

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Titan in the Playground

Relax
    If you are going to use someone's else artwork, the least you could do is give a link back to the original. Not everyone is familiar with XKCD, and not everyone will check the code of your post to see the reference. As it stands, you are violating copyright (XKCD license; notice the relevant bit: "just include a link back to this page").

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2011-02-03 at 07:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Titan in the Playground

There are people that don't know xkcd? Poor, poor fools.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Barbarian in the Playground

Daemon

I don't know if I was a fool before (probably) but I certainly was poorer. XKCD rocks!

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Ettin in the Playground

If you like awkward writing, white knighting, obvious faux nerd pandering, lazy-art-unless-it's-time-to-sell-a-new-poster, post-punchline dialogue, wish fulfillment, raging against liberal arts majors for some reason despite being an artist/writer for a living, and the name Megan, then, yes, I suppose it rocks.

(I'll admit it was pretty great from around strips 100-350, though.)
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2011-02-04 at 07:34 PM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    <commentary>

Please don't derail the thread. There is an XKCD thread in the board if you guys need it.

GW

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    If you like awkward writing, white knighting, obvious faux nerd pandering, lazy-art-unless-it's-time-to-sell-a-new-poster, post-punchline dialogue, wish fulfillment, raging against liberal arts majors for some reason despite being an artist/writer for a living, and the name Megan, then, yes, I suppose it rocks.

And what if you like derailing threads by starting pointless arguments over a webcomic when who does and doesn't like it has absolutely no personal impact on you?

I agree with Grey Wolf. Let's keep it to the MitD, people.

Speaking of- let's talk about the whole MitD language thing. In DnD, how many ways are there to give a normally nonverbal creature speech? I know there's the whole "awakening" thing or whatever, but are there any other methods of which we know, and what other effects do they have? It's a long shot, but I feel like there might be some type of template that'd help solve some of the other aspects of the MitD, especially if it's somehow related to psionics.
    Last edited by DaggerPen; 2011-02-04 at 07:52 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Dwarf in the Playground

Exclamation Re: MitD III: You are likely to suggest Tarrasque

Greywolf-
    I'm not saying the thread is over, far from it! I'm just saying we are probably missing some sort of important clue that may be revealed later on. I'm also saying that a lot of this is guesswork, and that I personally think there is some crucial puzzle piece missing. For example, If someone could find a template that allowed easy teleportation, that would change the whole story. Until we have more info, it may be impossible to tell. However, one thing you are dead wrong about is that I think this thread is over. This thread will last until he is reavealed, because it's way too fun to die!

14. - Top - End - #1334

BlueWizardGirl

For example, If someone could find a template that allowed easy teleportation, that would change the whole story.
    That template has already been found. It's Phrenic and it gives Psionic Teleport which is just like normal Teleport.

15. - Top - End - #1335

Daemon

I just had a quick look through a template list for d&d3.5. As far as I can see only one template adds any ability to speak, namely Elder Serpent. This template is a Deity Reward Template and it is a kind of awakening on steroids for snake-type creatures. It is not applicable unless anyone thinks they have evidence that the MitD might be a snake-type creature and it adds none of the qualities besides speech that we have witnessed from the MitD.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Titan in the Playground

I'll throw my coins in for the Hagunemnon, for a few additional reasons:
    1. Explains why he likes soup. A creature affected by his destabalize form turn to a liquid, so the soup becomes an acquired taste (or something they like by instinct).
    2.Isn't affectd by smite evil/doesn't care if others around him areevil/good. Alignment: Always chaotic neutral
    3."Stay in the box." He could become as small as a flea and get out of the box easily. Also has powers:Etheral Juant and Knock
    4."Powers I might not even know." Any extaordinary ability, to be precise.

Of course, this does make a problem. Why does he never chase people down? His move speed is almost twice that of all the humanoids he went up against, but they always escape.

17. - Top - End - #1337

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    1. Explains why he likes soup. A creature affected by his destabalize form turn to a liquid, so the soup becomes an acquired taste (or something they like by instinct).
    2.Isn't affectd by smite evil/doesn't care if others around him areevil/good. Alignment: Always chaotic neutral
    3."Stay in the box." He could become as small as a flea and get out of the box easily. Also has powers:Etheral Juant and Knock

Of course, this does make a problem. Why does he never chase people down? His move speed is almost twice that of all the humanoids he went up against, but they always escape.
    Got to say I like this idea too, and it also makes sense why he's always in the dark from a practical art stand point. It would be really annoying to draw a creature that boils and changes shape from second to second. Hard to reuse existing art with a creature like that.

18. - Top - End - #1338

Daemon

First of all the MitD does not like soup, he likes STEW. They are not exactly the same.

Second, in SoD the MitD first complains that there seems not to be a latch on the inside of the box so that he can open it and get out. This seems to indicate that he cannot just change his size to get out of the small opening on its front.

I don't see anything you mention here is actually an argument for anything. Sorry

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Section 1A in first post

A bit off-topic from the current conversation, but...

I realize that the line between something I made up and something someone else made up is a pretty fine one, but I trust that someone will figure it out eventually.

I think it might be from dungeonscape (I'm probably wrong, because I haven't actually looked at anything from it. But I still think this part is important)

Or, perhaps, from Monster Manual 3?

Or am I just repeating someone else?
    Last edited by mastermind; 2011-02-05 at 10:50 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Colossus in the Playground

That line doesn't point specifically to either of those. It just points to "anything written by someone not named Rich Burlew."

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I think it's been mentioned, although I'm not sure too much came from it. However, the dungeonbred (I think) template from Dungeonscape would make a too-big monster one size category smaller and might account for the MitD being content with eating stew, so that's fairly promising.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I know, but he said it was a fine line.

But, you're probably right.

In either way, I put the monster manual 3 on hold at the library...

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
    That template has already been found. It's Phrenic and it gives Psionic Teleport which is just like normal Teleport.

Yeah, but we are still unsure about the use of psionics.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Section 1A in first post

Quote Originally Posted by mastermind View Post
    (the bit containing Rich's quote)
    I have often thought about the exact wording of Rich's comment here. It's proabbly reading far too much in to it to try and interpret this as anything more specific than "It's not something I made up, it's something someone else made up".

Even so, I do keep wondering if this is some kind of specific hint in the way he worded it - e.g "The monster is from a source book that I contributed to, but not one of the monsters I created".

I stress, I have no evidence to support that interpretation. It probably is reading too much in to what is probably just a straight forward statement. Still, it does keep coming back to mind every time I go back and think of MitD. I keep thinking that if the situation were that it's a monster from a sourcebook he was involved in, but not his monster, that would be just about the finest line I can imagine.

I guess also if Rich were responsible for a template in a source book and it was a monster Rich didn't make up, with a template applied that he did make up, that would be an even finer line.

It probably isn't that... just thinking out loud.

Hey - maybe that's a good title for the MitD IV thread - "NO, it's not something Rich made up" :-)
    Last edited by lothos; 2011-02-06 at 08:23 AM.
    Official Kosh of the Vorlon in the dark fan club
    -- Lothos now Half Orc in playground, other half also Orc --

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Colossus in the Playground

He said exactly what the fine line he's talking about is: Between something he made up (e.g., the Snarl) and something someone else made up (e.g., anything in any of the Monster Manuals). It's a fine line because, in either case, the creature is made up (he's not an elephant).

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Maybe.

But it would be easier to get permission to use a copyrighted monster in a source book that he worked on.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    He said exactly what the fine line he's talking about is: Between something he made up (e.g., the Snarl) and something someone else made up (e.g., anything in any of the Monster Manuals). It's a fine line because, in either case, the creature is made up (he's not an elephant).
    It probably does indeed just mean what you said Kish. I was just airing the thought that maybe it means that, AND there is another subtext to the comment as well..... speculation really though.

Maybe.

But it would be easier to get permission to use a copyrighted monster in a source book that he worked on.
    Hmmmm, possibly. I assume you mean because he would have a personal relationship (or at lease professional relationship) with the other contributors to the book because he worked with them. If that's why you suggested it, I'm not sure I agree. The contributors wouldn't hold copyright, I'm pretty certain they would relinquish any claim to copyright by working for the publisher, who would own the intellectual property. When I write a technical document for the company I work for, I don't own it. The company I work for does.

On the other hand if you mean because he would have a professional relationship with the publisher of the material... well maybe, but I don't see in that case why it being a book he worked on makes much difference.
    Official Kosh of the Vorlon in the dark fan club
    -- Lothos now Half Orc in playground, other half also Orc --

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Titan in the Playground

He has expressed as much desire for moldy cheese burgers as for gruel and stew. He is just an indiscriminate eater. Also, if he reduces anything he eats to a paste anyway, it's unclear it could tell the difference between any of those three.

And yet he has a desire to obey rules - including such things that go against his personal desires, such as staying in the dark. That's not chaotic. In any case, I've said it before: there is little to be obtained from examining MitD's alignment, since he could easily be the exact opposite of his actual race.

First, that's not a quote, so don't use quotes around it. It leads to confusion. But re: your argument, whatever MitD is, he has powers he doesn't know about - like his ability to teleport or to cause earthquakes. It is far more easily explained by his general innocence than exclusively by his ability to change shapes - if he were, say, a zodar, he might too not understand what he can do.

He's lazy. This is a well-established personality trait. He probably isn't hurrying. Besides, he is usually distracted by something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bingo View Post
    First of all the MitD does not like soup, he likes STEW. They are not exactly the same.
    They are close enough ("Stews are similar to soups, and in some cases there may not be a clear distinction between the two."). For the purposes of his point - that it would be similar to a protean's usual foodstuff, except easier (in that it is pre-liquidised), his point is correct, although as I said above, I'm not sure how it furthers his case.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bingo View Post
    Second, in SoD the MitD first complains that there seems not to be a latch on the inside of the box so that he can open it and get out. This seems to indicate that he cannot just change his size to get out of the small opening on its front.
    Wrong. He is not staying in the box because he can't get out - we know he is certainly strong enough. If on top of being strong enough he was also capable of shape change to escape he still wouldn't do it. We cannot deduce anything about his shape changing abilities (neither positive nor negative) from him staying in the box.

VERY wrong. Anyone working in a book for WotC signs away any and all rights over the work. The rights to the creatures belong to the company, not to anyone working for it. Rich would have to pay just as much as anyone else to secure copyrights, but I doubt they are on sale anyway. In any case, we know that Rich is working under fair use rules of parody of D&D to create the comic.

Re: Fine line

We have discussed this in the past. Now, you're free to interpret that however you want, of course, but at the end of the day, the most obvious interpretation is that MitD is a therblewurkersaurus, just a therblewurkersaurus he personally didn't make up. Indeed, if anything, I would say that makes it less likely that MitD was picked from a manual he worked on. To 90% of all readers, MitD might as well be a therblewurkersaurus for all they will recognise it (even if it is a "famous" monster like a beholder).

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2011-02-06 at 11:13 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1349

BlueWizardGirl

My newest suggestion: Pseudonatural Phrenic Tarrasque!

Statblock:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Monster in the Darkness
    True Neutral Pseudonatural Phrenic Tarrasque
    Size/Type: Colossal Outsider (Extraplanar, Psionic)
    Hit Dice: 48d8+816 (1200 hp)
    Initiative: +16 (+8 Dex, +8 Superior Initiative)
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
    Armor Class: 35 (-8 size, +8 Dex, +35 natural) touch 0, flat-flooted 27
    Base Attack/Grapple: +48/+95
    Attack: Bite +74 melee (4d8+31/18-20/x3)
    Attack: Tentacle rake +74 melee (2d8+31)
    Full Attack: Bite +74 melee (4d8+31/18-20/x3) and 2 horns +69 melee (1d10+16) and 2 claws +69 melee (1d12+16) and tail slap +69 melee (3d8+16)
    Full Attack: 18 tentacle rakes +74 melee (2d8+31)
    Space/Reach: 30 ft./20 ft.
    Special Attacks: Augmented critical, constant insight, frightful presence, improved grab, rotting constriction, rush, psi-like abilities, spell-like abilities, swallow whole
    Special Qualities: Alternate form, carapace, damage reduction 15/epic, immunity to fire, poison, disease, energy drain and ability damage, outsider traits, regeneration 40, acid and electricity resistance 70, scent, spell resistance 240, (power resistance 58)
    Saves: Fort +43, Ref +34, Will +25
    Abilities: Str 70 (+30), Dex 26 (+8), Con 45 (+17), Int 5 (-3), Wis 28 (+9), Cha 18 (+4)
    Skills: Spellcraft, ??? (51 points)
    Feats: Brutal Throw, Combat Reflexes, Far Shot, Fling Enemy, Improved Initiative, Improved Sunder, Point Blank Shot, Power Attack, Power Throw, Rock Throwing
    Epic Feats: Dire Charge, Epic Prowess, Epic Sunder, Great Strength (x3), Superior Initiative
    Power Points: 1
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 33

A pseudonatural creature's natural weapons are treated as epic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Augmented Critical (Ex)
    The tarrasque's bite threatens a critical hit on a natural attack roll of 18-20, dealing triple damage on a successful critical hit.

Constant Insight (Su)
    The creature makes all its attacks with a +15 insight bonus. The creature is not affected by the miss chance that applies to attacks against a concealed target.

Frightful Presence (Su)
    The tarrasque can inspire terror by charging or attacking. Affected creatures must succeed on a DC 38 Will save or become shaken, remaining in that condition as long as they remain with 60 feet of the tarrasque. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Improved Grab (Ex)
    To use this ability, the tarrasque must hit a Huge or smaller opponent with its bite attack or its tentacle. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can try to swallow or constrict the foe the following round.

Psi-like abilities: 3/day - defensive precognition, empty mind, intellect fortress, mind thrust, psionic teleport; 1/day - aversion, body adjustment, brain lock, energy current, fission, force screen, psionic blast, psychic crush, tower of iron will, ultrablast (CL 48)

Rotting Constriction (Ex)
    Once the creature has hold of an opponent, each successful grapple check it makes during subsequent rounds permanently drains 2d4 points of Constitution. At the same time, the creature regains 10 lost hit points.

Rush (Ex)
    Once per minute, the normally slow-moving tarrasque can move at a speed of 150 feet.

Spell-like abilities: at-will - blur, dimension door, shield, unhallow (CL 20)

Swallow Whole (Ex)
    The tarrasque can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of Huge or smaller size by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the opponent takes 2d8+8 points of crushing damage plus 2d8+6 points of acid damage per round from the tarrasque's digestive juices. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by dealing 50 points of damage to the tarrasque's digestive tract (AC 25). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. The tarrasque's gullet can hold 2 Huge, 8 Large, 32 Medium, 128 Small, or 512 Tiny or smaller creatures.

Alternate Form (Su)
    At will, a pseudonatural creature can take the form of a grotesque, tentacled mass (or another appropriately gruesome form), but all its abilities remain unchanged despite the alien appearance. Changing shape is a standard action. Other creatures receive a -1 morale penalty on their attack rolls against pseudonatural creatures in this alternate form.

Carapace (Ex)
    The tarrasque's armorlike carapace is exceptionally tough and highly reflective, deflecting all rays, lines, cones, and even magic missile spells. There is a 30% chance of reflecting any such effect back at the caster; otherwise, it is merely negated. Check for reflection before rolling to overcome the creature's spell resistance.

Outsider Traits (Ex)
    Darkvision out to 60 ft, cannot be raised, proficient with all simple and martial weapons. The monster breathes, but does not need to eat or sleep (although it can do so if it wishes).

Regeneration (Ex)
    No form of attack deals lethal damage to the tarrasque. The tarrasque regenerates even if it fails a saving throw against a disintegrate spell or a death effect. If the tarrasque fails its save against a spell or effect that would kill it instantly (such as those mentioned above), the spell or effect instead deals nonlethal damage equal to the creature's full normal hit points +10 (or 1210 hp). The tarrasque is immune to effects that produce incurable or bleeding wounds, such as mummy rot, a sword with the wounding special ability, or a clay golem's cursed wound ability.

The tarrasque can be slain only by raising its nonlethal damage total to its full normal hit points +10 (or 868 hit points) and using a wish or miracle spell to keep it dead.

If the tarrasque loses a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 1d6 minutes (the detached piece dies and decays normally). The creature can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump.

Skills
    The tarrasque has a +8 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks.

Build notes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This version of the MitD is all SRD save for some of the feats. Rich can reveal the identity of the MitD without revealing his exact build.

Feats are changed from the basic tarrasque which had Toughness taken 6 times, among other things. The new feats are better but still far from optimal. The main concern was making the MitD really good at throwing things through a stone wall.

If you want improved power, intelligence, and Spellcraft checks, you could make it a Pseudonatural Phrenic Paragon Tarrasque. A Half-Dragon template could be useful too.

Specific concerns about fitting as the MitD:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. There is only one Tarrasque!

Spoiler
    Show
    A pseudonatural creature just takes the form and abilities of the base creature. It's not THE Tarrasque but rather a copy of it. For example, I think none of you deny that it's impossible for a wizard to create an Effigy Tarrasque or several due to there being only one of the base creature.

2. Redcloak didn't know the setting had psionics.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Phrenic template isn't visible, only the effects it allows are, and the MitD hasn't been taking advantage of them much. Redcloak might think the MitD was a plain Tarrasque or a Pseudonatural Tarrasque and not suspect the Phrenic part.

3. Does this version of the MitD have copyright issues?

Spoiler
    Show
    This MitD is all SRD save for a few of the feats. Rich can reveal the identity of the MitD without revealing his exact build.

4. How can it talk?

Spoiler
    Show
    The MitD is deep down something more than a Tarrasque. It can be justified that the alien origin from Pseudonatural and the intelligence boost from Phrenic make it sufficiently different from the normal Tarrasque that it in fact can speak. It talking would be highly surprising, though, which fits the clue.

5. What about the Circus Scene?

Spoiler
    Show
    The MitD could have taken his gruesome and tentacled alternate form. The morale penalty to attack him in that form is only -1, but perhaps the morale penalty can cause big reactions in a safe setting. Also, Frightful Presence might be a factor.

6. What about the Tower Scene?

Spoiler
    Show
    The MitD has high strength and feats (most prominently Fling Enemy, Epic Sunder, and Power Throw) that allow him to throw Miko and Windstriker at a stone wall, so that the wall breaks and Miko and Windstriker fly horizontally up to (with Far Shot) 200 feet.

7. What about the Escape Scene?

Spoiler
    Show
    The MitD manifested Psionic Teleport. He didn't go along with V and O-chul because he either didn't think of or didn't want to to lower his insanely high spell resistance.

8. What about Xykon implanting a suggestion in the MitD's mind and that massive spell resistance from Pseudonatural?

Spoiler
    Show
    The exact spell Xykon used is unknown and no spell that really fits has been found. (For example, casting Geas takes 10 minutes and Lesser Geas affects only monsters up to 7 HD, which should be way too puny for a MitD candidate.) It is just possible that whatever Xykon did didn't allow for spell resistance, for example because it was a supernatural ability. It even might be that Xykon used the power of a major artifact, which his crown could well be despite it not having been officially revealed yet.

9. What about the "shout" at Haley and Belkar?

Spoiler
    Show
    Frightful Presence with DC 38 that left Haley and Belkar shaken. The bit about charging or attacking from the tarrasque statblock should be treated more as a suggestion due to the greater intellect and sophistication of the MitD that allows other modes of acting scary, such as shouting at people.

10. What about stomping to cause an earthquake?

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to chalk this as nothing more than the result of having 70 or so in Str. The psionic power Stomp is different and much too weak. The spell Earthquake is a better (although not perfect) fit, but the only way the MitD could get it without taking a ton of levels in a caster class is being a Half-Earth Elemental which is a nice and fitting template but not in the SRD.

11. That MitD is a non-native Outsider. Why does he eat and sleep?

Spoiler
    Show
    "Sometimes I eat to fill the loneliness." Non-native Outsiders don't need to eat or sleep but they can do so if they want to. The MitD probably just likes eating and sleeping. Sleeping can also be a good way of diverting attention and suspicion, as seen in the Escape Scene.

12. What about the manipulation of objects?

Spoiler
    Show
    The official pictures of the Tarrasque show long forelimbs with clawed, reasonably human-like hands. Those should be suitable for the things the MitD has done.

13. Is it powerful enough?

Spoiler
    Show
    It's CR 33 and it has some rather powerful abilities over the standard Tarrasque. For fun, try checking out how it does in a duel vs. various other things. It's no pushover.

30. - Top - End - #1350

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
    My newest suggestion: Pseudonatural Phrenic Tarrasque!

Statblock:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Monster in the Darkness
    True Neutral Pseudonatural Phrenic Tarrasque
    Size/Type: Colossal Outsider (Extraplanar, Psionic)
    Hit Dice: 48d8+816 (1200 hp)
    Initiative: +16 (+8 Dex, +8 Superior Initiative)
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
    Armor Class: 35 (-8 size, +8 Dex, +35 natural) touch 0, flat-flooted 27
    Base Attack/Grapple: +48/+95
    Attack: Bite +74 melee (4d8+31/18-20/x3)
    Attack: Tentacle rake +74 melee (2d8+31)
    Full Attack: Bite +74 melee (4d8+31/18-20/x3) and 2 horns +69 melee (1d10+16) and 2 claws +69 melee (1d12+16) and tail slap +69 melee (3d8+16)
    Full Attack: 18 tentacle rakes +74 melee (2d8+31)
    Space/Reach: 30 ft./20 ft.
    Special Attacks: Augmented critical, constant insight, frightful presence, improved grab, rotting constriction, rush, psi-like abilities, spell-like abilities, swallow whole
    Special Qualities: Alternate form, carapace, damage reduction 15/epic, immunity to fire, poison, disease, energy drain and ability damage, outsider traits, regeneration 40, acid and electricity resistance 70, scent, spell resistance 240, (power resistance 58)
    Saves: Fort +43, Ref +34, Will +25
    Abilities: Str 70 (+30), Dex 26 (+8), Con 45 (+17), Int 5 (-3), Wis 28 (+9), Cha 18 (+4)
    Skills: Spellcraft, ??? (51 points)
    Feats: Brutal Throw, Combat Reflexes, Far Shot, Fling Enemy, Improved Initiative, Improved Sunder, Point Blank Shot, Power Attack, Power Throw, Rock Throwing
    Epic Feats: Dire Charge, Epic Prowess, Epic Sunder, Great Strength (x3), Superior Initiative
    Power Points: 1
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 33

A pseudonatural creature's natural weapons are treated as epic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Augmented Critical (Ex)
    The tarrasque's bite threatens a critical hit on a natural attack roll of 18-20, dealing triple damage on a successful critical hit.

Constant Insight (Su)
    The creature makes all its attacks with a +15 insight bonus. The creature is not affected by the miss chance that applies to attacks against a concealed target.

Frightful Presence (Su)
    The tarrasque can inspire terror by charging or attacking. Affected creatures must succeed on a DC 38 Will save or become shaken, remaining in that condition as long as they remain with 60 feet of the tarrasque. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Improved Grab (Ex)
    To use this ability, the tarrasque must hit a Huge or smaller opponent with its bite attack or its tentacle. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can try to swallow or constrict the foe the following round.

Psi-like abilities: 3/day - defensive precognition, empty mind, intellect fortress, mind thrust, psionic teleport; 1/day - aversion, body adjustment, brain lock, energy current, fission, force screen, psionic blast, psychic crush, tower of iron will, ultrablast (CL 48)

Rotting Constriction (Ex)
    Once the creature has hold of an opponent, each successful grapple check it makes during subsequent rounds permanently drains 2d4 points of Constitution. At the same time, the creature regains 10 lost hit points.

Rush (Ex)
    Once per minute, the normally slow-moving tarrasque can move at a speed of 150 feet.

Spell-like abilities: at-will - blur, dimension door, shield, unhallow (CL 20)

Swallow Whole (Ex)
    The tarrasque can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of Huge or smaller size by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the opponent takes 2d8+8 points of crushing damage plus 2d8+6 points of acid damage per round from the tarrasque's digestive juices. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by dealing 50 points of damage to the tarrasque's digestive tract (AC 25). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. The tarrasque's gullet can hold 2 Huge, 8 Large, 32 Medium, 128 Small, or 512 Tiny or smaller creatures.

Alternate Form (Su)
    At will, a pseudonatural creature can take the form of a grotesque, tentacled mass (or another appropriately gruesome form), but all its abilities remain unchanged despite the alien appearance. Changing shape is a standard action. Other creatures receive a -1 morale penalty on their attack rolls against pseudonatural creatures in this alternate form.

Carapace (Ex)
    The tarrasque's armorlike carapace is exceptionally tough and highly reflective, deflecting all rays, lines, cones, and even magic missile spells. There is a 30% chance of reflecting any such effect back at the caster; otherwise, it is merely negated. Check for reflection before rolling to overcome the creature's spell resistance.

Outsider Traits (Ex)
    Darkvision out to 60 ft, cannot be raised, proficient with all simple and martial weapons. The monster breathes, but does not need to eat or sleep (although it can do so if it wishes).

Regeneration (Ex)
    No form of attack deals lethal damage to the tarrasque. The tarrasque regenerates even if it fails a saving throw against a disintegrate spell or a death effect. If the tarrasque fails its save against a spell or effect that would kill it instantly (such as those mentioned above), the spell or effect instead deals nonlethal damage equal to the creature's full normal hit points +10 (or 1210 hp). The tarrasque is immune to effects that produce incurable or bleeding wounds, such as mummy rot, a sword with the wounding special ability, or a clay golem's cursed wound ability.

The tarrasque can be slain only by raising its nonlethal damage total to its full normal hit points +10 (or 868 hit points) and using a wish or miracle spell to keep it dead.

If the tarrasque loses a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 1d6 minutes (the detached piece dies and decays normally). The creature can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump.

Skills
    The tarrasque has a +8 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks.

Build notes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This version of the MitD is all SRD save for some of the feats. Rich can reveal the identity of the MitD without revealing his exact build.

Feats are changed from the basic tarrasque which had Toughness taken 6 times, among other things. The new feats are better but still far from optimal. The main concern was making the MitD really good at throwing things through a stone wall.

If you want improved power, intelligence, and Spellcraft checks, you could make it a Pseudonatural Phrenic Paragon Tarrasque. A Half-Dragon template could be useful too.

Specific concerns about fitting as the MitD:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. There is only one Tarrasque!

Spoiler
    Show
    A pseudonatural creature just takes the form and abilities of the base creature. It's not THE Tarrasque but rather a copy of it. For example, I think none of you deny that it's impossible for a wizard to create an Effigy Tarrasque or several due to there being only one of the base creature.

2. Redcloak didn't know the setting had psionics.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Phrenic template isn't visible, only the effects it allows are, and the MitD hasn't been taking advantage of them much. Redcloak might think the MitD was a plain Tarrasque or a Pseudonatural Tarrasque and not suspect the Phrenic part.

3. Does this version of the MitD have copyright issues?

Spoiler
    Show
    This MitD is all SRD save for a few of the feats. Rich can reveal the identity of the MitD without revealing his exact build.

4. How can it talk?

Spoiler
    Show
    The MitD is deep down something more than a Tarrasque. It can be justified that the alien origin from Pseudonatural and the intelligence boost from Phrenic make it sufficiently different from the normal Tarrasque that it in fact can speak. It talking would be highly surprising, though, which fits the clue.

5. What about the Circus Scene?

Spoiler
    Show
    The MitD could have taken his gruesome and tentacled alternate form. The morale penalty to attack him in that form is only -1, but perhaps the morale penalty can cause big reactions in a safe setting. Also, Frightful Presence might be a factor.

6. What about the Tower Scene?

Spoiler
    Show
    The MitD has high strength and feats (most prominently Fling Enemy, Epic Sunder, and Power Throw) that allow him to throw Miko and Windstriker at a stone wall, so that the wall breaks and Miko and Windstriker fly horizontally up to (with Far Shot) 200 feet.

7. What about the Escape Scene?

Spoiler
    Show
    The MitD manifested Psionic Teleport. He didn't go along with V and O-chul because he either didn't think of or didn't want to to lower his insanely high spell resistance.

8. What about Xykon implanting a suggestion in the MitD's mind and that massive spell resistance from Pseudonatural?

Spoiler
    Show
    The exact spell Xykon used is unknown and no spell that really fits has been found. (For example, casting Geas takes 10 minutes and Lesser Geas affects only monsters up to 7 HD, which should be way too puny for a MitD candidate.) It is just possible that whatever Xykon did didn't allow for spell resistance, for example because it was a supernatural ability. It even might be that Xykon used the power of a major artifact, which his crown could well be despite it not having been officially revealed yet.

9. What about the "shout" at Haley and Belkar?

Spoiler
    Show
    Frightful Presence with DC 38 that left Haley and Belkar shaken. The bit about charging or attacking from the tarrasque statblock should be treated more as a suggestion due to the greater intellect and sophistication of the MitD that allows other modes of acting scary, such as shouting at people.

10. What about stomping to cause an earthquake?

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to chalk this as nothing more than the result of having 70 or so in Str. The psionic power Stomp is different and much too weak. The spell Earthquake is a better (although not perfect) fit, but the only way the MitD could get it without taking a ton of levels in a caster class is being a Half-Earth Elemental which is a nice and fitting template but not in the SRD.

11. That MitD is a non-native Outsider. Why does he eat and sleep?

Spoiler
    Show
    "Sometimes I eat to fill the loneliness." Non-native Outsiders don't need to eat or sleep but they can do so if they want to. The MitD probably just likes eating and sleeping. Sleeping can also be a good way of diverting attention and suspicion, as seen in the Escape Scene.

12. What about the manipulation of objects?

Spoiler
    Show
    The official pictures of the Tarrasque show long forelimbs with clawed, reasonably human-like hands. Those should be suitable for the things the MitD has done.

13. Is it powerful enough?

Spoiler
    Show
    It's CR 33 and it has some rather powerful abilities over the standard Tarrasque. For fun, try checking out how it does in a duel vs. various other things. It's no pushover.

But what about the size? The MitD seems to be a medium creature!
    Hi!
    --Timeless Error, Emerald Knight and Champion of Green in the Playground

A lot of clutter used to be here. Now it's here. Please click the link and read my extended signature!

Thanks to the amazing Aruius for my excellent Emerald Knight in Action avatar!

Legend, an awesome RPG. 1.0 now out!