New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 419202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 30+ New Dragons (more true dragons than the draconomicon)

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    If it is possible can I request the following types of Dragons?

Spoiler
    Show

Each one lives in a different environment so here are the environments.
    1. Marsh dwelling (Swamp or Jungle Either is good)
    2. Plain Dwelling (Maybe with heavy resistance to magic with barely any magic powers)
    3. Ruins Dwelling

I realise its three dragons not one so I might be asking a bit much. Also can they not be psionic as I don't have any of the psionic books.
    The numbers aren't a problem but the information is rather scant. For example black dragons, lepidodendron, and black lotus dragons all live in swamps, and almost any dragon can dwell in ruins but cyclopean dragons, true linnorms, and barrow dragons are especially appropriate. So a little more information on what exactly you want would be appreciated as otherwise I doubt that it would be effective.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

2. - Top - End - #842
    Firbolg in the Playground

Okay here's some more information. (Just so you know the Setting is Blades of Keran (Info can be found on D&D Wiki)).

Spoiler
    Show
    Marsh Dweller (I don't have a name yet)
    Spoiler
    Show

I was thinking it could live in the Swamps of South Karma. A land which has tonnes of disease and is home to two sentient races the Ranx (Insect Men) and Lizardfolk. I think it could have some sort of disease-related abilites. Probably Acid or a dieased attack as a breath weapon.

Plain Dweller (I don't have a name yet)
    Spoiler
    Show

It would live in the plains of North Karma. They fear magic and kill anything that uses it (Except Divine Magic) so It shouldn't have very many Magical Effects. Also maybe make it very easy to spot as North Karmainians like to show they are their and hate deception. Probably a good resistance to magic (Maybe even Immunity or Antimagic Field). No idea about breath weapon.

Ruins Dweller (I don't have a name yet)
    Spoiler
    Show
    It live in the Ruins, which are the destroyed remains of Dragonborn Society. They were destroyed by pure magical energy and now the entire Ruins is a waste full of Magical Pockets of Energy. So maybe it uses the Ambient Magical Energy to give it poweful effects. But it would be uncontrollable magic which makes it chaotic and insane and not truely able to control its powers.

Is this better?
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

3. - Top - End - #843
    Barbarian in the Playground

It live in the Ruins, which are the destroyed remains of Dragonborn Society. They were destroyed by pure magical energy and now the entire Ruins is a waste full of Magical Pockets of Energy. So maybe it uses the Ambient Magical Energy to give it poweful effects. But it would be uncontrollable magic which makes it chaotic and insane and not truely able to control its powers.
    OOooo a dragon that manifests Wild Magic...yes that would be awesome. Maybe it's breath weapon is another bit of randomness, every time it uses it's breath weapon roll 1D10 for various effects. Yeah that sounds like fun.
    Last edited by Silverscale; 2011-05-06 at 09:39 PM.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

Go HERE for a look at the Ishka (CWBP) Wiki.

Go HERE for a look at the Dragon-World (CWBP) Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by newD&Dfan View Post
    I hereby give you the title of Wiki Editor SilverScale. (in deep booming voice)

4. - Top - End - #844
    Titan in the Playground

Plague Dragon
    Dragon (Water)
    Environment: Temperate and warm swamps.
    Organization: Wyrmling, very young, young, juvenile, and young adult: solitary, or clutch (2–5); adult, mature adult, old, very old, ancient, wyrm, or great wyrm: solitary, pair, or family (2-5).
    Challenge Ratings: Wyrmling 3; very young 4; young 5; juvenile 8; young adult 11; adult 13; mature adult 16; old 18; very old 19; ancient 21; wyrm 22; great wyrm 24
    Treasure: Triple standard.
    Alignment: Always chaotic evil.

Living in the depths of fetid bogs and swamps, plague dragons are hateful creatures that enjoy spreading disease to the “lesser” creatures they encounter. Four of these beasts attacked me and my companions while I was gathering reagents for a certain magical ritual (I have yet to finish gathering all the necessary reagents but believe me I will eventually inform you of the results). This is when something happened that has postponed my research for the foreseeable future. While we fought off these four with no difficulty, in fact quite a bit of ease, another elder of the race attacked. Before we managed to fight it off, it managed to blast Sillana with its fetid breath weapon. While many of my companions came down with a disease I had not yet encountered, which I have since discovered is called the Black Spit, it proved easily cured by a simple expenditure of magical energy, although it did prove difficult and resistant to such attempts. Unfortunately Sillana’s proved completely immune, my research informs me that such a disease cannot be conventionally cured instead requiring a special ritual and special reagents unfortunately only found deep within the Abyss. As such I write this before heading onto an expedition into that demonic realm, to inform future travellers of the danger these dragons represent.

These dragons have a dull brown hide, growing darker and nearer to black as they age. Their head has a single horn, reminiscent of both that of a blue dragon and that of a unicorn. For it has the spiral nature of an alicorn, but is short and stump-like, useless for actual combat, like a blue dragon’s. This resemblance to a unicorn is puzzling as one has the power to alleviate others of plague while the other inflicts it, and begs for more research that I sadly lack the opportunity to perform at this moment.

--Zasper the Dragon Sage

Age Size Hit Dice Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha BAB/Grp Atk Fort Ref Will Breath Weapon Damage Breath Weapon DC Frightful Presence
    Wyrmling S 5d12+5 (37 hp) 13 10 13 8 11 8 5/2 7 5 4 4 2d4 13 -
    Very Young M 8d12+16 (66 hp) 15 10 15 8 11 8 8/10 10 8 6 6 4d4 16 -
    Young M 11d12+22 (93 hp) 17 10 15 10 11 10 11/14 14 9 7 7 6d4 17 -
    Juvenile L 14d12+42 (133 hp) 21 10 17 10 13 10 14/23 18 12 9 10 8d4 20 -
    Young Adult L 17d12+68 (178 hp) 23 10 19 12 13 12 17/27 22 14 10 11 10d4 22 19
    Adult H 20d12+80 (210 hp) 25 10 19 12 13 12 20/35 25 16 12 13 12d4 24 21
    Mature Adult H 23d12+115 (264 hp) 27 10 21 14 15 14 23/39 29 18 13 15 14d4 26 23
    Old H 26d12+130 (299 hp) 29 10 21 14 15 14 26/43 33 20 15 17 16d4 28 25
    Very Old H 29d12+174 (362 hp) 31 10 23 16 17 16 29/47 37 22 16 19 18d4 30 27
    Ancient G 32d12+224 (432 hp) 35 10 25 16 17 16 32/56 40 25 18 21 20d4 33 29
    Wyrm G 35d12+281 (508 hp) 37 10 27 18 19 18 35/60 44 27 19 23 22d4 35 31
    Great Wyrm G 38d12+343 (590 hp) 39 10 29 18 19 18 38/64 48 30 21 25 24d4 38 33

Age Speed Init AC SR Special Abilities Caster Level
    Wyrmling 40-ft, fly 100-ft (average), swim 40-ft +0 15 (+1 size, +4 natural) - Immunity to disease and acid, water breathing -
    Very Young 40-ft, fly 150-ft (poor), swim 40-ft +0 17 (+7 natural) - Diseased Saliva -
    Young 40-ft, fly 150-ft (poor), swim 40-ft +0 20 (+10 natural) - Withstand Magic -
    Juvenile 40-ft, fly 150-ft (poor), swim 40-ft +0 22 (-1 size, +13 natural) - Festering Wounds -
    Young Adult 40-ft, fly 150-ft (poor), swim 40-ft +0 25 (-1 size, +16 natural) 22 DR 5/magic 1st
    Adult 40-ft, fly 150-ft (poor), swim 40-ft +0 27 (-2 size, +19 natural) 24 Contagion 3rd
    Mature Adult 40-ft, fly 150-ft (poor), swim 40-ft +0 30 (-2 size, +22 natural) 27 DR 10/magic 5th
    Old 40-ft, fly 150-ft (poor), swim 40-ft +0 33 (-2 size, +25 natural) 28 Stench of the Plague 7th
    Very Old 40-ft, fly 150-ft (poor), swim 40-ft +0 36 (-2 size, +28 natural) 29 DR 15/magic 9th
    Ancient 40-ft, fly 200-ft (clumsy), swim 40-ft +0 37 (-4 size, +31 natural) 31 Death Rot 11th
    Wyrm 40-ft, fly 200-ft (clumsy), swim 40-ft +0 40 (-4 size, +34 natural) 32 DR 20/magic 13th
    Great Wyrm 40-ft, fly 200-ft (clumsy), swim 40-ft +0 43 (-4 size, +37 natural) 34 Evil Plague 15th

Breath Weapon (Su): A plague dragon has a single breath weapon, a cone of disgusting, bacteria-ridden acidic sludge. This cone deals the listed acid damage and also deals 1 point of Constitution damage per 2 age categories; a successful Reflex save halving both. A Fort save (same DC) is also required. On a successful Fort save the Con damage is further halved (or reduced to 0 if both saves are successful), but on a failure the creature becomes infected with Black Spit (see below).
    Black Spit: The disease’s name come from one of the more interesting symptoms, it colors the patient’s saliva and phlegm an ashy black. As a warning to caretakers the disease seems to spread through bodily fluids. This is a supernatural disease.
    Incubation Period: 1d4+1 days; 1d4 hours via a plague dragon’s breath weapon. Fort save DC: 14; when infected via a plague dragon’s breath weapon the DC is based off the dragon’s hit dice and Constitution, normally equaling the save DC of their breath weapon (heighten breath and ability focus [breath weapon] do not raise this DC). Damage: 1d3 Constitution, and 1 Wisdom.

Diseased Saliva (Ex): A very young or older plague dragon’s saliva carries another dangerous disease. This is a particularly virulent, and fast acting, strain of Red Ache.

The incubation period for this strain, when directly inflicted by the plague dragon, is 1d8+1 hours, otherwise it is 1 day. The Fort save DC, when directly inflicted, is based off of the dragon’s hit dice and Constitution (this is the same formula used to get Breath Weapon DCs so they are normally the same), when not directly inflicted the DC is only 16 (1 higher than normal for Red Ache). Finally the damage, also, is increased to 1d8 Strength damage.

Withstand Magic (Su): Any disease inflicted by a young or older plague dragon is hard to remove even by magic. Any attempt to magically remove the disease, such as by the Remove Disease spell, is prevented unless the caster makes a successful Caster Level check (DC is the same as the Fort save to resist the disease). A paladin using their Remove Disease spell-like ability gains a +5 to their Caster Level to remove the disease, and a unicorn gains a +10 to their caster level when using their racial Remove Disease spell-like ability. This affects any disease inflicted by the plague dragon even extraordinary ones, and those inflicted by it in an anti-magic field (this ability is negated in an anti-magic field, though, hence it is supernatural).

Festering Wounds (Ex): Elements in a juvenile or older plague dragon’s diseased saliva also prevents wounds from closing properly. Any creature that takes damage from a plague dragon’s bite attack suffers an additional 1 damage per round until they receive at least 1 point of magical healing or someone performs a DC 20 heal check as a standard action to remove the chemicals.

Spellcasting: A young adult or older plague dragon casts spells as a sorcerer of the indicated level. They may also cast spells from the druid spell list as if they were sorcerer spells.

Contagion (Sp): Adult or older; 3/day.

Stench of the Plague (Su): An old or older plague dragon is surrounded by a horrid stench. Any creature coming within 30-ft which can smell the plague dragon must make a Fort save (DC is Charisma based, therefore identical to frightful presence DC) or be nauseated for 1d4 +1/age category rounds. A creature with scent suffers a -4 to this save, and is affected at double range (and can smell an old or older plague dragon at 4 times normal range). A creature that saves against this ability, or fails and is affected by it, is immune to that plague dragon’s Stench of the Plague for 24 hours.

Death Rot (Su): The Constitution damage inflicted by an ancient or older plague dragon’s Black Spit is increased by 2, and it requires 3 consecutive successful saving throws to remove it. The Black Spit is now completely incurable by normal magic, but can be cured by gathering special powerful reagents (details left to the DM; suggestion is actually make a quest out of it, but if you don’t want to do that DC 15 + CR of dragon Knowledge (Arcana) check and 800 times CR of dragon GP to buy them) to empower the spell, or by a paladin or unicorn’s Remove Disease ability.

Evil Plague (Su): A great wyrm plague dragon’s red ache now deals 2d6 damage per failed save and requires 3 consecutive successful saving throws to remove it. It is also now completely incurable by normal magic, but can be cured by gathering special powerful reagents (details left to the DM; suggestion is actually make a quest out of it, but if you don’t want to do that DC 15 + CR of dragon Knowledge (Nature) check and 800 times CR of dragon GP to buy them) to empower the spell, or by a paladin’s Remove Disease ability. In addition their black spit is now incapable of being naturally healed, or cured by a paladin’s Remove Disease or unicorn’s spell-like ability.

Skills: Bluff, Heal, and Survival are class skills for a plague dragon in addition to those standard for all true dragons.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2016-01-25 at 06:44 PM.

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Titan in the Playground

First a random question: does anybody read the fluff part of the dragons I make? I'm just curious.

Second: If anybody is interested in the Inner Planes (I think some of you might be) I started a thread to work on/expand them (using the 2e cosmology) in the world-building sub-forum. It's currently in my sig, so if anyone is interested.

Self-promotion over.

Okay here's some more information. (Just so you know the Setting is Blades of Keran (Info can be found on D&D Wiki)).

Spoiler
    Show
    Marsh Dweller (I don't have a name yet)
    Spoiler
    Show

I was thinking it could live in the Swamps of South Karma. A land which has tonnes of disease and is home to two sentient races the Ranx (Insect Men) and Lizardfolk. I think it could have some sort of disease-related abilites. Probably Acid or a dieased attack as a breath weapon.

Plain Dweller (I don't have a name yet)
    Spoiler
    Show

It would live in the plains of North Karma. They fear magic and kill anything that uses it (Except Divine Magic) so It shouldn't have very many Magical Effects. Also maybe make it very easy to spot as North Karmainians like to show they are their and hate deception. Probably a good resistance to magic (Maybe even Immunity or Antimagic Field). No idea about breath weapon.

Ruins Dweller (I don't have a name yet)
    Spoiler
    Show

Is this better?
    Called the swamp dwellers plague dragons. Do they look good?

Current Projects:

6. - Top - End - #846
    Ogre in the Playground

I always read the fluff first. If I don't like the fluff of a monster, I don't even bother looking at the mechanics. So far, I've liked the fluff of each dragon.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

7. - Top - End - #847

Firstly, I read the fluff (And from the ones I've read they were all great).
    Secondly, the Plague Dragon is perfect. Tonnes better than I imagined. I am amazed on how fast you made it while it still being this perfect.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

Plains Dragon
    Dragon (Air)
    Environment: Any plains.
    Organization: Wyrmling, very young, young, juvenile, and young adult: solitary, or clutch (2–5); adult, mature adult, old, very old, ancient, wyrm, or great wyrm: solitary, pair, or family (2-5).
    Challenge Ratings: Wyrmling 3; very young 4; young 5; juvenile 8; young adult 11; adult 13; mature adult 15; old 17; very old 18; ancient 19; wyrm 20; great wyrm 22
    Alignment: Always chaotic (usually neutral).

Returning, assaulted by demonic monkeys but unhurt, I have seen to Sillana’s treatment. My mind at ease, it turned towards another dragon I encountered on this world. These dragons lived in the northern plains, making rudimentary lairs but living a primarily nomadic lifestyle. We arrived as winter was ending and what seemed to be the start of the mating season. Two males were participating in some type of ritualistic battle. They clashed with teeth and fangs, clashing for some time teeth and claws trying to find purchase before finally the battle ended. The victor seeing me seemed to take me a rival for the female’s affections and attacked, charging forward. I contemplated ending it with a simple spell, but instead performed a spell of transformation to find a physical form to adequately fight back. Emerging the victor I was attacked by the female, either because of some secret love for the defeated male or because I had assumed the form of a dragon unknown on this world and apparently hostile.

After that battle I began to research these dragons, and find myself approached aggressively by several young males who seemed eager to claim some type of bragging rights by defeating me. Finally, pushed too far, I chose to simply charm one of the dragons and interrogate it for a spell. It turns out that the dragons did see me as an oddity, taking the form of an unknown dragon and flying about in a strange ship, and I had become some sort of special trophy that they each wanted to fetch. I learned more than just their interest in me, of course, such as notes about their abilities.

First I will describe their physical characteristics as they have impact upon their non-superficial qualities. These dragons glow faintly, although they can suppress this glow, like the silvery light of the moon. They have what natives call manes, a series of long downward facing horns made of some light, flexible natural material that run across the bottom of their lower jaw and the front of their necks; like a lion’s this is more noticeable on a male, but unlike among lions it is present in the females as well. Their eyes are flat, and long, giving a dragged out and pointed impression, and tend towards orange colors, while their scales range from pale blue to bone white to a silvery gray. I could not tell a certain pattern based on age in these latter except that as they age they tend more towards a medium hue and brightness.

I wonder if these dragons share some spiritual connection to the moon, in part because of their coloring and faint glow, but also because they show themselves to be resistant to steel weapons suffering full wounds only from silver blades. In addition they are in fact more resistant to a magical blade than a mundane one, sometimes enough to make it better to use an unenchanted blade than one wrought by a wizard’s art. Both their glow and this resistant seem to develop together around their 16th or so year, when full resistance to non-magic steel does not even begin to be shown until decades later. Resistance to magical silver does not develop till late in life and even then it is minor to any blade that befits such a hero.

This is not the only power they have related to light, as their breath weapon is a searing burst of light, similar to the divine spell called Searing Light, or a cone shaped blinding burst. The first is unlike most draconic breath weapons a relatively small, but intense, beam. Another oddity seen in both is that, for dragons, they have quite a short range comparable to that of a dragon about half their size; why even the largest I observed (a seven hundred and twenty three year old specimen) could only project the former some span less than thirty yards, and the latter about forty feet. Another trait that seems to tie them to the moon is their eyes. They can see through invisibility and, with age, see through any illusion or even transformational magic.

The dragons themselves are not particularly unfriendly, although as they took me as a rival male in their mating season, which seems to come but once in five years, my reception was not the friendliest. From what I can tell they run the gamut from friendly, and even helpful, to despicably violent. Regardless none likes to stay in one place for long and prefer to move from lair to lair regularly, either keeping multiple lairs which the occupy for anywhere from a month to half a year at a time or moving constantly. The only time they seem to remain stationary for an extended period is after mating the mother, and occasionally the father as well, will typically stay with her eggs until they hatch and for their first year before returning to her nomadic lifestyle. Whether they take their wyrmling with them when they return to their normal lifestyle does not seem to be a constant.

I would not rank these amongst the best of the dragons I have encountered, nor would I rank them amongst the worst. They have many admirable qualities, although they place too much faith and honor in physical prowess.

--Zasper the Dragon Sage

Age Size Hit Dice Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha BAB/Grp Atk Fort Ref Will Breath Weapon Damage Breath Weapon DC Frightful Presence
    Wyrmling S 5d12+5 (37 hp) 13 10 13 8 11 8 5/2 7 5 4 4 2d8 13 -
    Very Young M 8d12+16 (66 hp) 17 10 15 8 11 8 8/11 11 8 6 6 4d8 16 -
    Young M 11d12+22 (93 hp) 19 10 15 10 11 10 11/15 15 9 7 7 6d8 17 -
    Juvenile L 14d12+42 (133 hp) 23 10 17 10 13 10 14/24 19 12 9 10 8d8 20 -
    Young Adult L 17d12+51 (161 hp) 25 10 17 12 13 12 17/28 23 13 10 11 10d8 21 19
    Adult H 20d12+80 (210 hp) 29 10 19 12 13 12 20/37 27 16 12 13 12d8 24 21
    Mature Adult H 23d12+92 (241 hp) 31 10 19 14 15 14 23/41 31 17 13 15 14d8 25 23
    Old H 26d12+130 (299 hp) 33 10 21 14 15 14 26/45 35 20 15 17 16d8 28 25
    Very Old H 29d12+145 (333 hp) 35 10 21 16 17 16 29/49 39 21 16 19 18d8 29 27
    Ancient G 32d12+192 (400 hp) 39 10 23 16 17 16 32/58 42 24 18 21 20d8 32 29
    Wyrm G 35d12+210 (437 hp) 41 10 23 18 19 18 35/60 46 25 19 23 22d8 33 31
    Great Wyrm G 38d12+266 (513 hp) 43 10 25 18 19 18 38/64 50 28 21 25 24d8 36 33

Age Speed Init AC SR Special Abilities
    Wyrmling 50-ft, fly 100-ft (average) +0 15 (+1 size, +4 natural) - Immunity to blinding and light effects
    Very Young 50-ft, fly 150-ft (poor) +0 17 (+7 natural) - -
    Young 50-ft, fly 150-ft (poor) +0 20 (+10 natural) - Moonscale Hide
    Juvenile 50-ft, fly 150-ft (poor) +0 22 (-1 size, +13 natural) - See Invisibility
    Young Adult 50-ft, fly 150-ft (poor) +0 25 (-1 size, +16 natural) 26 DR 5/silver
    Adult 50-ft, fly 150-ft (poor) +0 27 (-2 size, +19 natural) 28 Arrow-blocking Hide
    Mature Adult 50-ft, fly 150-ft (poor) +0 30 (-2 size, +22 natural) 30 DR 10/silver
    Old 50-ft, fly 150-ft (poor) +0 33 (-2 size, +25 natural) 32 True Seeing
    Very Old 50-ft, fly 150-ft (poor) +0 36 (-2 size, +28 natural) 33 DR 15/silver
    Ancient 50-ft, fly 200-ft (clumsy) +0 37 (-4 size, +31 natural) 34 Sunscale Hide
    Wyrm 50-ft, fly 200-ft (clumsy) +0 40 (-4 size, +34 natural) 35 DR 20/silver and 5/non-magic
    Great Wyrm 50-ft, fly 200-ft (clumsy) +0 43 (-4 size, +37 natural) 37 Death Ward

Breath Weapon (Su): A plains dragon has two breath weapons, but is considered one size category smaller for determining the length of its breath weapons. The first is a ray of searing light which requires a ranged touch attack, and can be used against 1 target within range (use the Line breath weapon to determine maximum range); a struck target takes the listed untyped damage (this is light based for cases where that is important) with no save. The second is a cone of blinding light which blinds all creatures within for 1d4 minutes +1 minute per age category. A successful Will save reduces this to the dazzled condition, and the duration to rounds instead of minutes.

Moonscale Hide (Su): A young or older plains dragon continuously produces light as per the Light spell, although they may suppress this ability or resume it at will as a move action. In addition they are considered two age categories older for determining their damage reduction when struck by magical weapons (a wyrm or older plains dragon instead gains DR 5/- when struck by a magical weapon).

See Invisibility (Su): A juvenile or older plains dragon can see invisible creatures as per the See Invisibility spell.

Arrow Blocking Hide (Su): An adult or older plains dragon’s DR is increased by 5 against ranged, but not thrown, weapons and it gains DR 5/- against such weapons (this of course does not stack with its increased DR X/silver).

True Seeing (Su): An old or older plains dragon continuously benefits from a (arcane version) True Seeing spell. As a supernatural effect this cannot be dispelled.

Sunscale Hide (Su): An ancient or older plains dragon’s body now radiates light as per a Daylight spell, although it may still suppress this ability or reduce it to the equivalent of a light spell as a move action. In addition they gain universal energy resistance 10, and ignore the first 10 points of damage from other supernatural non-weapon damage sources (such as force, hellfire, negative energy, or untyped magical effects such as a warlock’s eldritch blast).

Death Ward (Su): A great wyrm plains dragon is continuously protected by a supernatural Death Ward effect.

Skills:Gather Information, Swim, and Survival are class skills for a plague dragon in addition to those standard for all true dragons.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2014-09-02 at 01:48 PM.

Current Projects:

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LOTRfan View Post
    I always read the fluff first. If I don't like the fluff of a monster, I don't even bother looking at the mechanics. So far, I've liked the fluff of each dragon.
    That's a big compliment, thanks.

Firstly, I read the fluff (And from the ones I've read they were all great).
    Secondly, the Plague Dragon is perfect. Tonnes better than I imagined. I am amazed on how fast you made it while it still being this perfect.
    Again thanks.

Finished a plains dragon. Few direct anti-magic abilities, a rather high SR for a dragon (CR +15; average for MM dragons is less than CR +10) and resistance to magic weapons being all (oh yeah the resistance to direct damage effects), but I just made an anti-magic dragon which might be why (when I've just made a dragon I tend to avoid similar abilities). Somehow the comment about visibility said Light based abilities to me so it ended up with laser breath and a glowing body. And it's late enough I'm saying silly stuff so hopefully I'll work on the next one tomorrow.

Edit: I caught the fact that I forgot to modify hp for modified Con from the one I copy-pasted the table from.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2011-05-07 at 01:39 AM.

Current Projects:

10. - Top - End - #850

The Plains Dragon Looks great as well. I like how they like combat so much, which is very similar to the Warlike Karmainians who live in the same plains.

Note: I'm currently offically adding Plague Dragon to my campaign Blades of Blood and Plains Dragon is next.

Thier is going to be one change upon placing the Plains Dragon in the Setting. In blades of keran there are four moon, with only one being white. But all I will change is add the moons name to the description.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #851
    Titan in the Playground

The Plains Dragon Looks great as well. I like how they like combat so much, which is very similar to the Warlike Karmainians who live in the same plains.

Note: I'm currently offically adding Plague Dragon to my campaign Blades of Blood and Plains Dragon is next.

Thier is going to be one change upon placing the Plains Dragon in the Setting. In blades of keran there are four moon, with only one being white. But all I will change is add the moons name to the description.
    Just thought to ask, what size should Ruin Dragons be? Should they start Tiny (white/black), Small (blue/green), or Medium (red)? Technically Silver are on their own scale of the Core 10 dragons (they start Small but end Colossal) which makes the four main growth rates.

Current Projects:

12. - Top - End - #852

I think white/black size progression. That way they can get into ruins better and have better flying.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #853
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm loving all these dragons. I was just wondering if you'd given any thought to my herd dragon idea?

Again, fantastic work on the dragons.
    Marvel at my IMPRESSIVE (and Expensive) collection of Discworld Books!!!

14. - Top - End - #854
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    First a random question: does anybody read the fluff part of the dragons I make? I'm just curious.
    I always read the fluff often times just skimming the crunch because for me the fluff is the best part.

Second: If anybody is interested in the Inner Planes (I think some of you might be) I started a thread to work on/expand them (using the 2e cosmology) in the world-building sub-forum. It's currently in my sig, so if anyone is interested.
    I'll have to take a look at that.

Speaking of Inner planes, does anyone know where I can find the book that I think talks about it? I've seen several threads that seem to reference a lot of stuff about cooking and food, including a Chef PRC........Sorry for the random side question.

I'm loving all these dragons. I was just wondering if you'd given any thought to my herd dragon idea?
    I don't know if Zaydos has or not, but I had actually given some thought to them myself way back when you made the suggestion. If I were to do them, I would probably do them in the same vain I did the Mouse Dragon, and the Dragon Cat, which is to say I would do them as a Lesser Dragon instead of a True Dragon.
    Last edited by Silverscale; 2011-05-07 at 08:35 AM.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

Go HERE for a look at the Ishka (CWBP) Wiki.

Go HERE for a look at the Dragon-World (CWBP) Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by newD&Dfan View Post
    I hereby give you the title of Wiki Editor SilverScale. (in deep booming voice)

15. - Top - End - #855
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

I also read the fluff. You write well and it's usually pertinent information.

I could be. I used to like Planescape.

Called the swamp dwellers plague dragons. Do they look good?
    I think so. I've been enjoying all of these even if I don't comment very often.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

16. - Top - End - #856
    Dwarf in the Playground

just found something intresting it might help you determine what each of the types of gems dragon can do heres the link hope this gives you some ideas
    only darkness is truly eternal

credit for avatar goes to vrythas

17. - Top - End - #857
    Titan in the Playground

I think white/black size progression. That way they can get into ruins better and have better flying.
    Okay some questions.
    1. Are the ruins actual ruined buildings or a magical wasteland? The description I could find on the wiki was closer to the latter.
    2. Do you have Monster Manual III or the Eberron Campaign Setting? Has to do with the seed of an idea for ruins dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Terror_Incognito View Post

Again, fantastic work on the dragons.
    Well gorgonid dragons do move in herds. Remind me what kind of power level you were looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverscale View Post
    I always read the fluff often times just skimming the crunch because for me the fluff is the best part.

I'll have to take a look at that.

Speaking of Inner planes, does anyone know where I can find the book that I think talks about it? I've seen several threads that seem to reference a lot of stuff about cooking and food, including a Chef PRC........Sorry for the random side question.
    Okay I had started to wander if anybody did.

As for the book the only books I know that actually detail them are The DM's Guide to the Planes (Planescape Boxed Set 2e), The Inner Planes (Planescape 2e), and Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix 3 (Planescape 2e), any other books that actually have useful amounts of information on them are unknown to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    I also read the fluff. You write well and it's usually pertinent information.

I could be. I used to like Planescape.

I think so. I've been enjoying all of these even if I don't comment very often.

Debby
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Noxsis View Post
    just found something intresting it might help you determine what each of the types of gems dragon can do heres the link hope this gives you some ideas
    Will be a bit before I do a gem dragon, but thanks.

Current Projects:

18. - Top - End - #858

Okay some questions.
    1. Are the ruins actual ruined buildings or a magical wasteland? The description I could find on the wiki was closer to the latter.
    2. Do you have Monster Manual III or the Eberron Campaign Setting? Has to do with the seed of an idea for ruins dragons.
    1. The Ruins are a Magical Wasteland with many Ruined Buildings in them. Have you every heard of S.T.A.L.K.E.R (The Game Series) its kind of similar to that.
    2. I have the Monster Mannuals (1-5). But I don't have any Eberron Books.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #859
    Titan in the Playground

1. The Ruins are a Magical Wasteland with many Ruined Buildings in them. Have you every heard of S.T.A.L.K.E.R (The Game Series) its kind of similar to that.
    2. I have the Monster Mannuals (1-5). But I don't have any Eberron Books.
    1. Okay.
    2. I was thinking about giving them the ability to create living spells the template of which is in both MMIII and Eberron Campaign setting, but I couldn't put the details so it would be pointless if you didn't have one of the two.

Current Projects:

20. - Top - End - #860

That idea sounds very dangerous (To players) and awesome (For Everyone).
    And it fits the flavour of the Ruins.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

Spellwaste Dragon
    Dragon (Earth)
    Environment: Any land or underground (magical wastelands).
    Challenge Ratings: Wyrmling 2; very young 4; young 6; juvenile 9; young adult 11; adult 13; mature adult 15; old 17; very old 19; ancient 21; wyrm 23; great wyrm 26
    Alignment: Usually Chaotic Evil

Another dragon I met on that world reminded me of a creature I had seen on other worlds when lost amidst ancient ruins of a wizardly society. The cause of the cataclysm on the two worlds did not seem overly similar, but its effects were very close to each other. A blighted waste land filled with twisting ambient magic and monstrosities that have been changed and altered by their homes, and amongst these mutants can even be counted dragons. Whether these dragons on different worlds were originally the same species or not I cannot be certain, having not yet done the necessary studies. What can be said is that this species carries wild magic with them, in their very beings and are terrifying foes to wizards and others who wield magic.

They are fairly small, similar in size to white dragons, but their magical powers cannot be compared to such. Even from birth they are resistant to some magics, but their resistance to magic seems to vary depending upon the grade of magic used against them. The exact extent of the variation I have not yet tested, but generally it would seem that there are only two levels of resistance and what spells are weak enough to fall into the stronger level of resistance’s domain are based on the dragon’s own magical powers and age. In addition to this, usually superior, magical resistance these dragons also show magical abilities superior to most dragons, though of course there are many exceptions to this that I could list.

Merely the ability to resist spells and to cast them is not, amongst dragons, a notable achievement. What is more notable is there aura, which from my experiences can extend from seventy to about one-hundred feet and I would predict ranges up to one-hundred and fifty feet at full growth, and possibly as little as forty feet when first born (if they even have such abilities from birth). This aura twists and warps magic used nearby, causing it to spiral wildly out of control, making it unreliable except in the hands of one whose knowledge and control of magic is superb, though I cannot say I have allowed my magic to be twisted from my control personally I have seen it happen to my friends and allies. Even their powerful breath relies upon the qualities of magic, turning magical power inward against its wielders and causing the magic inherent in all living things to burn and rebel against itself, causing a being’s natural magic to annihilate them.

Even this, fascinating as the prospect of a theoretically controllable source of wild mage is, is not their most fabulous ability. They can imbue spells with life, creating dangerous oozes which obey their mental commands. It would seem that there is a small chance for these spells to last beyond their normal span, but if they do so the mental link is broken. In many ways I wonder if these dragons are responsible for the propagation of living spells on many prime material worlds. Yet another possibility to investigate.

While this covers their magical abilities that I have encountered so far, I have not yet covered their mental qualities nor their physical appearance. Mentally they are fairly intelligent on the scale of chromatic dragons which they seem to most closely, mentally, resemble. They are angry and ferocious beasts who seem to consider themselves the absolute kings of all they purvey, but they are capable when it comes to a battle of wits. These dragons attack with vicious cunning once they have been shown that they lack the sheer magical, and physical, might that is required to make an encounter a simple thing, they will use stealth and trickery. Though their attempts at ambush proved untrained from lack of use, as did their ability to function as a team, they were clever enough to at least consider such a possibility. It would seem that naturally they are highly individualistic and arrogant considering themselves above most other forms of life.

In physical appearance they have splotched bodies with scales of dull tan colors mixed with brown and various hues in between. Their eyes seem like a swirling mixture of colors, no one color standing out for long as each is subsumed quickly by the others. Similar to gold dragons they have catfish-like “whiskers” on the sides of their otherwise plain heads. A simple frill runs down their back between two wings situated in the fin-like manner of a brass dragon. Their claws are heavy, designed as much for digging as killing, and capable of being used to dig into the side of stone to facilitate climbing.

This concludes the information I have been able to, thus far, gather on these spellwaste dragons.
    --Zasper the Dragon Sage.

Wyrmling T 3d12+3 (22 hp) 11 10 13 10 11 10 3/-5 5 4 3 3 2d4 12 (11)
    Very Young S 6d12+12 (51 hp) 13 10 15 12 11 12 6/3 8 7 5 5 4d4 15 (14)
    Young M 9d12+18 (76 hp) 15 10 15 12 13 12 9/11 11 8 6 7 6d4 16 (15)
    Juvenile M 12d12+36 (114 hp) 17 10 17 14 13 14 12/15 15 11 8 9 8d4 19 (18)
    Young Adult L 15d12+60 (157 hp) 19 10 19 16 15 16 15/23 18 13 9 11 10d4 21 20
    Adult L 18d12+76 (193 hp) 21 10 19 16 15 16 18/27 22 15 11 13 12d4 23 22
    Mature Adult H 21d12+105 (241 hp) 23 10 21 18 17 18 21/35 25 17 12 15 14d4 25 24
    Old H 24d12+120 (276 hp) 25 10 21 20 17 20 24/39 29 19 14 17 16d4 27 27
    Very Old H 27d12+162 (337 hp) 27 10 23 20 19 20 27/43 33 21 15 19 18d4 29 28
    Ancient H 30d12+180 (375 hp) 29 10 23 22 19 22 30/47 37 23 17 21 20d4 31 31
    Wyrm G 33d12+231 (445 hp) 33 10 25 22 21 22 33/56 40 25 18 23 22d4 33 32
    Great Wyrm G 36d12+288 (522 hp) 35 10 27 24 21 24 36/60 44 28 20 25 24d4 36 35

Age Speed Init AC SR Special Abilities Caster Level
    Wyrmling 40-ft, fly 150-ft (average), burrow 20-ft, climb 20-ft +0 14 (+2 size, +2 natural) - Spell Warding (0 and 1st), -
    Very Young 40-ft, fly 150-ft (average), burrow 20-ft, climb 20-ft +0 16 (+1 size, +5 natural) 10 Aura of Wild Magic 1st
    Young 40-ft, fly 200-ft (poor), burrow 20-ft, climb 20-ft +0 18 (+8 natural) 12 Spell Warding (2nd, and 3rd), Wild Power (restrained) 3rd
    Juvenile 40-ft, fly 200-ft (poor), burrow 20-ft, climb 20-ft +0 21 (+11 natural) 15 Create Spell, Wild Power 5th
    Young Adult 40-ft, fly 200-ft (poor), burrow 20-ft, climb 20-ft +0 23 (-1 size, +14 natural) 17 DR 5/magic 7th
    Adult 40-ft, fly 200-ft (poor), burrow 20-ft, climb 20-ft +0 26 (-1 size, +17 natural) 20 Spell Warding (4th, 5th, and 6th) 9th
    Mature Adult 40-ft, fly 200-ft (poor), burrow 20-ft, climb 20-ft +0 28 (-2 size, +20 natural) 22 DR 10/magic 11th
    Old 40-ft, fly 200-ft (poor), burrow 20-ft, climb 20-ft +0 31 (-2 size, +23 natural) 24 Devour Magic 13th
    Very Old 40-ft, fly 200-ft (poor), burrow 20-ft, climb 20-ft +0 34 (-2 size, +26 natural) 26 DR 15/magic 15th
    Ancient 40-ft, fly 200-ft (poor), burrow 20-ft, climb 20-ft +0 37 (-2 size, +29 natural) 28 Spell Warding (7th and 8th) 17th
    Wyrm 40-ft, fly 250-ft (clumsy), burrow 20-ft, climb 20-ft +0 38 (-4 size, +32 natural) 31 DR 20/magic 19th
    Great Wyrm 40-ft, fly 250-ft (clumsy), burrow 20-ft, climb 20-ft +0 41 (-4 size, +35 natural) 34 Spell Warding (9th), Create Spell (9th) 21st

Frightful Presence Note: A spellwaste dragon does not develop frightful presence until the young adult age category (as normal) but beginning at very young has abilities dependent upon Charisma based DCs and therefore it is listed at younger age categories in parenthesis.

Breath Weapon (Su): A spellwaste dragon has a single type of breath weapon a cone of magical pressure that turns the internal magical energy of any creature against its self, dealing the listed damage (Will save halves). This attack is especially potent against dragons, aberrations, fey, undead, constructs, outsiders, and elementals, as well as any creature that can cast spells and any creature that is capable of using one or more spell-like ability, take +1 damage per age category of the dragon. If they can cast spells spontaneously, or have at least one at-will spell-like ability, they instead take +2 damage per age category of the dragon.

Spellwarding (Su): A spellwaste dragon’s Spell Resistance is considered 10 higher against 0 and 1st level spells (and spell-like abilities), as a wyrmling this causes it to have spell resistance 10 against such spells. As a young dragon this becomes effective against 2nd and 3rd level spells as well; at adult it is also effective against spells of 6th level or lower; at ancient this affects spells of 8th level or lower; and as a great wyrm this affects any spell of 9th level or lower.

Aura of Wild Magic (Su): A very young or older spellwaste dragon radiates an aura that disrupts the normal flow of magic nearby. Whenever a creature attempts to cast a spell (including psionic powers or mysteries), or use a spell-like ability, within 30-ft +10-ft per age category of the spellwaste dragon they must succeed a Spellcraft check. The DC of this spellcraft check is based off of the spellwaste dragon’s hit dice and charisma (rendering it equal to their frightful presence under normal situations) with certain special modifications. If they are casting a prepared spell, or using a spell completion or spell trigger item, they suffer a -5 to the check; if they are casting a divine spell or using a mystery as a supernatural ability they gain a +5 to the check; if they are using a spell-like ability (other than an invocation, or mystery) or warlock’s eldritch blast they gain a +10 on the check. Should they succeed the check the spell acts normally, should they fail roll 1d20 and consult the table below; a wild mage’s (Complete Arcane) Student of Chaos allows them to roll on this table twice and pick the better result. This aura even affects spells cast by the spellwaste dragon; should multiple renditions of this aura stack only the strongest (highest DC) aura is rolled for.
    Spoiler
    Show
    # Effect
    1 Spell is wasted with no effect
    2 Spell fails, and roll again on the Rod of Wonder random effects table
    3 Spell targets a random creature(s) within area (if targeted, or ranged touch spell) or roll on grenade-like weapons deviation and roll 1d20 for how many squares away from target for Area of Effect spells or spells that create effects
    4 Spell fails, but is not expended.
    5 Spell works normally
    6 Spell works as normal but then caster and target switch places; if the spell creates a free-standing effect (such as Solid Fog) caster and spell switch places (caster is moved to origin of the spell and the spell is treated as being centered on a corner of the caster’s square)
    7 Spell is empowered
    8 Spell is cast at caster level 1.
    9 Spell is cast with a -1d8 to its caster level.
    10 Spell is cast with a +1d4 to its caster level.
    11 Spell fails but the caster creates a bolt of magical energy dealing 2d6 damage per spell level to any creature or object within 30-ft with a ranged touch attack.
    12 Spell fails and all creatures within the wild magic aura heal 3 damage times spell level squared.
    13 Spell is cast with a +6 to its caster level
    14 Spell has any saving throw DCs increased by 2
    15 Spell works as normal but the caster suffers 1d4+1 Con burn
    16 Spell works as normal but the caster suffers 1d4+1 ability drain to whatever stat determines their casting
    17 Spell works as normal but the caster gains a +4 enhancement bonus to all ability scores for 1 minute per spell level
    18 Spell fails but caster gains flight 60-ft with good maneuverability for 1 minute per spell level.
    19 Spell has any saving throw DCs associated with it reduced by 5
    20 Spell functions normally but is not expended

Spellcasting: A very young or older spellwaste dragon casts spells as a sorcerer of the listed level.

Wild Power (Su): Whenever a young or older spellwaste dragon casts a spell it gets a -2 penalty to its caster level and then adds +1d6 to its caster level to determine what CL the spell was cast at. When they reach juvenile the penalty is increased to -3, but they add +1d10 to their CL for the spell’s effective CL.

Create Spell (Sp): A young or older spellwaste dragon may, as a swift action, expend a spell slot to create a living spell of up to one spell level lower than the expended slow, to a maximum of 8th level, of any spell that it knows and to which the living spell template may be applied. The CL for the living spell is 2 less than the spellwaste dragon’s caster level before magical effects (or Wild Power) modify it, and without any bonus from the Practiced Spellcaster feat. The living spell is under the spellwaste dragon’s mental control, functioning as an extension of its will, and remains for 1 round per CL before vanishing. A spellwaste dragon may only have one living spell under its control at a time, but there is a 1 in 20 chance that when the duration of a living spell ends it remains free from the spellwaste dragon’s control. A great wyrm spellwaste dragon may, by expending a 10th level spell slot gained through an epic feat, create a living spell of a 9th level spell.

Devour Magic (Su): An old or older spellwaste dragon’s bite attack also dispels one spell effect on any creature or object it bites, as per dispel magic; the spellwaste dragon uses its CL (with Wild Power) +4 for this effect and there is no maximum caster level bonus to the dispel check. This effect always affects the highest CL spell effect on a target. Should a spellwaste dragon bite a freestanding magical effect (such as the fog created by Solid Fog) it is affected as if by Dispel Magic using the same bonus to the dispel check.

Skills: Hide, Move Silently, and Spellcraft are class skills for a spellwaste dragon in addition to those common to true dragons.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2014-08-26 at 12:50 PM.

Current Projects:

22. - Top - End - #862
    Titan in the Playground

That idea sounds very dangerous (To players) and awesome (For Everyone).
    And it fits the flavour of the Ruins.
    Ruins dragon should be done. It was harder than expected.

Current Projects:

23. - Top - End - #863
    Ogre in the Playground

The table has Spellshield for the higher age categories but the text and younger categories list Spell Warding.

Breath weapon has a type imo, "If they can cast spells spontaneously, or have at least one at-will spell-like ability,"

Also on the breath weapon, I'm somewhat torn. Its an AoE untyped damage with a will save that isn't mind affecting and doesn't target SR. So, its fairly strong, but I'm not sure that entirely warrants the die size reduction. Then again, the people it will hurt most are potentially the squishy ones, so I dunno.

Huh... I can't recall off the top of my head. Are invocations Sp or Su?
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

24. - Top - End - #864
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    The table has Spellshield for the higher age categories but the text and younger categories list Spell Warding.

Breath weapon has a type imo, "If they can cast spells spontaneously, or have at least one at-will spell-like ability,"

Also on the breath weapon, I'm somewhat torn. Its an AoE untyped damage with a will save that isn't mind affecting and doesn't target SR. So, its fairly strong, but I'm not sure that entirely warrants the die size reduction. Then again, the people it will hurt most are potentially the squishy ones, so I dunno.

Huh... I can't recall off the top of my head. Are invocations Sp or Su?
    Invocations are spell-like.
    Another thing to remember is that the creature hurt most (casters) also tend to have good Will saves (extremely good if they take multiple PrCs). It's also only comparable in damage with Wings of Flurry (24d4 or on average 23d6) which is an AoE force effect (one spell can completely negate force damage, but unless force ward is active force is better than untyped). In truth if I wanted to be nasty I'd make it a Reflex save as that's what casters are least likely to succeed (though I could argue Fort or Will on a fluff basis)
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2011-05-07 at 11:19 PM.

Current Projects:

25. - Top - End - #865

I like the Spellwaste Dragon. But I think I might have to change the fluff a bit. Specifically the multiple worlds part. Will try and add them to the Setting as soon as possible.
    Edit: These were so good do you think you could make another for me?
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Sand Dragon (I know there is one in sandstorm but I think Zaydos can probably make a better one). It would live in the Sumran Wastes which consists of manly of which is Sandy Desert. Most people in Sumra are arcane casters so probably good with spells. Size probably start as small end as Colossal. One thing about it phyiscally, can its wings be spines with a Membrane between them (I love this part of sand dragons in Sandstorm and will hope for it to be the features of your Sand Dragon (If you do take the spines as wings off in place of something else thats fine though as it is your dragon)).
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2011-05-08 at 04:05 AM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #866
    Titan in the Playground

Steam Dragon
    Dragon (Water, Cold)
    Environment: Any sky (The Quasielemental Plane of Steam)
    Challenge Ratings: Wyrmling 3; very young 5; young 6; juvenile 9; young adult 10; adult 12; mature adult 14; old 16; very old 18; ancient 19; wyrm 20; great wyrm 23
    Alignment: Often Neutral Good

Even deep within the fogs and mists of the Quasielemental Plane of Steam you can encounter dragons. These dragons, called steam dragons after their home since the more accurate descriptions of fog and mist dragons are already in use for more common dragons, are usually kind and gentle creatures with a deep love of philosophy. They can normally be found dreaming their days away on floating blocks of elemental earth, or else listlessly floating on the eddies of Steam.

Steam dragons, unlike many of the races of the Inner Planes, seem quite interested in the factions of Sigil. Many steam dragons belong to one of the factions, with Signers, Sensates, and Godsmen being the most common and Xaositects, Doomguard, and Mercykillers being amongst the rarest. Hardheads and Indeps both are practically unknown among steam dragons; the first because they don’t so much have a philosophy but just orders, and the second because existing outside of the power base of the factions steam dragons don’t see any need to label themselves a group just to say they aren’t part of a group. If you know what faction the dragon you’re dealing with belongs to it can be easier to deal with.

Steam dragons are smallish dragons, with pale grey-blue scales and white eyes. Their wings, long and bat-like, are translucent like a fine mist. The central claw on each paw is significant in that it is proportionately large compared to those of other dragons.

Wyrmling T 4d12+4 (30 hp) 11 10 13 10 13 10 4/-4 6 5 4 5 1d10 13 -
    Very Young S 7d12+7 (52 hp) 13 10 13 10 13 10 7/4 9 6 5 6 2d10 14 -
    Young M 10d12+20 (85 hp) 15 12 15 12 15 12 10/12 12 9 8 9 3d10 17 -
    Juvenile M 13d12+26 (110 hp) 17 12 15 12 15 12 13/16 16 10 9 10 4d10 18 -
    Young Adult L 16d12+48 (152 hp) 19 12 17 14 17 14 16/24 19 13 11 13 5d10 21 20
    Adult L 19d12+76 (199 hp) 23 14 19 14 17 14 19/29 24 15 13 14 6d10 23 21
    Mature Adult H 22d12+110 (253 hp) 27 14 21 16 19 16 22/38 28 18 15 17 7d10 26 24
    Old H 25d12+125 (287 hp) 29 14 21 16 19 16 25/42 32 19 16 18 8d10 27 25
    Very Old H 28d12+168 (350 hp) 31 16 23 18 21 18 28/46 36 22 19 21 9d10 30 28
    Ancient H 31d12+186 (387 hp) 33 16 23 18 21 18 31/50 40 23 20 22 10d10 31 29
    Wyrm G 34d12+238 (459 hp) 35 16 25 20 23 20 34/58 42 26 22 25 11d10 34 32
    Great Wyrm G 37d12+296 (536 hp) 37 18 27 22 25 22 37/62 46 28 24 27 12d10 36 33

Age Speed Init AC SR Special Abilities
    Wyrmling 40-ft, fly 250-ft (average), swim 40-ft +0 15 (+2 size, +3 natural) - Immunity to cold, fire vulnerability, child of the mists, water breathing
    Very Young 40-ft, fly 250-ft (average), swim 40-ft +0 17 (+1 size, +6 natural) - Fog Cloud
    Young 40-ft, fly 300-ft (poor), swim 40-ft +1 20 (+9 natural, +1 Dex) - DR 5/magic
    Juvenile 40-ft, fly 300-ft (poor), swim 40-ft +1 23 (+12 natural, +1 Dex) 17 Solid Fog
    Young Adult 40-ft, fly 300-ft (poor), swim 40-ft +1 25 (-1 size, +15 natural, +1 Dex) 18 DR 10/magic
    Adult 40-ft, fly 300-ft (good), swim 40-ft +2 29 (-1 size, +18 natural, +2 Dex) 20 Fog Wings
    Mature Adult 40-ft, fly 300-ft (good), swim 40-ft +2 31 (-2 size, +21 natural, +2 Dex) 22 DR 15/magic
    Old 40-ft, fly 300-ft (good), swim 40-ft +2 34 (-2 size, +24 natural, +2 Dex) 24 Control Winds
    Very Old 40-ft, fly 300-ft (good), swim 40-ft +3 38 (-2 size, +27 natural, +3 Dex) 26 DR 20/magic and 5/silver
    Ancient 40-ft, fly 300-ft (good), swim 40-ft +3 41 (-2 size, +30 natural, +3 Dex) 27 Dimension Well
    Wyrm 40-ft, fly 350-ft (average), swim 40-ft +3 42 (-4 size, +33 natural, +3 Dex) 28 DR 20/magic and 10/silver
    Great Wyrm 40-ft, fly 350-ft (average), swim 40-ft +4 46 (-4 size, +36 natural, +4 Dex) 30 Gathering Clouds

Breath Weapon (Su): A steam dragon has two breath weapons. The first is a cone of cold that deals the listed damage (Reflex save halves). The second is a cone of numbing gas that afflicts a Slow spell on targets (Fortitude negates).

Child of the Mists (Ex): A steam dragon’s sight and movement are not hindered or restricted by clouds, fogs, or mists; even magical ones.

Fog Wings (Su): An adult or older steam dragon gains a supernatural improvement to its flight maneuverability of two grades. This is already included in its stats, so that they lose 2 grades of maneuverability should they enter and anti-magic field.

Dimension Well (Su): Other creatures within 30-ft per age category of an ancient or older steam dragon are unable to teleport or perform planar travel. Any attempts to use such means to travel out of this area fails automatically (should a check based on CL be allowed through some special feature this is considered to have a CL equal to the dragon’s hit dice). Any attempt to enter this area is met with similar failure, as are any summoning or calling spells that would bring something into this area. Naturally occurring portals are unaffected.

Gathering Clouds (Su): A great wyrm steam dragon is continuously surrounded by thick clouds of fog and water vapor out to 30-ft. This has two effects. First unless a creature can breathe both water and air finds itself unable to breathe in this area; should a creature be suddenly plunged into this region they are allowed a Reflex save (DC 15 + dragon’s Dexterity modifier) to hold their breath, otherwise they do not catch it in time and begin to drown. Secondly adjacent creatures in the mist have concealment, and any creature deeper into the mist has full concealment (a steam dragon’s child of the mist ability allows it to see through this). A steam dragon can suppress this ability as a free action, or extend it to 100-ft for Con modifier rounds 3 times per day as a swift action; the later leaves the dragon fatigued until the end of the encounter when it is finished and cannot be done while the dragon is fatigued.

Spell-like Abilities: CL equals twice the steam dragon’s age category. 3/day: Fog Cloud (very young), Control Winds (old). 1/day: Solid Fog (juvenile).

Skills: Autohypnosis, Heal, and Spellcraft are class skills for a steam dragon in addition to those common to all true dragons.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2014-09-02 at 01:37 PM.

Current Projects:

27. - Top - End - #867
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've been waiting for another elemental-esque dragon; you didn't disappoint.

Oh, I've noticed you've yet to create a necromantic dragon - that is, a dragon which specializes in unholy magic and possibly hoards rare undead minions animated by fell innate magic they possess, possibly with foetid, undead-creating negative energy breath, probably with some undead traits themselves, but true dragons nonetheless.
    Et tu, Brute?

My home-brewed bootleg Homebrew

I tried to be reasonable and nice; but everybody wouldn't quit trying to turn every spellcaster into a Tier 1.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Titan in the Playground

Don't have undead traits but specialize in building undead armies and has negative energy breath death dragon.

Current Projects:

29. - Top - End - #869
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Steam Dragon

{table]Age| Size| Hit Dice | Str| Dex| Con| Int| Wis| Cha| BAB/Grp| Atk| Fort| Ref| Will| Breath Weapon Damage| Breath Weapon DC| Frightful Presence
    Wyrmling| T| 4d12+4 (30 hp) | 11| 10| 13| 10| 13| 10| 4/-4| 6| 5| 4| 5| 1d10| 13 |-
    Very Young| S| 7d12+7 (52 hp) | 13| 10| 13| 10| 13| 10| 7/4| 9| 6| 5| 6| 2d10| 14 |-
    Young | M| 10d12+20 (85 hp) | 15| 12| 15| 12| 15| 12| 10/12| 12| 9| 8| 9| 3d10| 17 |-
    Juvenile| M| 13d12+26 (110 hp) | 17| 12| 15| 12| 15| 12| 13/16| 16| 10| 9| 10| 4d10| 18 |-
    Young Adult| L| 16d12+48 (152 hp) | 19| 12| 17| 14| 17| 14| 16/24| 19| 13| 11| 13| 5d10| 21 |20
    Adult| L| 19d12+76 (199 hp) | 23| 14| 19| 14| 17| 14| 19/29| 24| 15| 13| 14| 6d10| 23 |21
    Mature Adult| H| 22d12+110 (253 hp) | 27| 14| 21| 16| 19| 16| 22/38| 28| 18| 15| 17| 7d10| 26 |24
    Old | H| 25d12+125 (287 hp) | 29| 14| 21| 16| 19| 16| 25/42| 32| 19| 16| 18| 8d10| 27 |25
    Very Old| H| 28d12+168 (350 hp) | 31| 16| 23| 18| 21| 18| 28/46| 36| 22| 19| 21| 9d10| 30 |28
    Ancient| H| 31d12+186 (387 hp) | 33| 16| 23| 18| 21| 18| 31/50| 40| 23| 20| 22| 10d10| 31 |29
    Wyrm | G| 34d12+238 (459 hp) | 35| 16| 25| 20| 23| 20| 34/58| 42| 26| 22| 25| 11d10| 34 |32
    Great Wyrm | G| 37d12+296 (536 hp) | 37| 18| 27| 22| 25| 22| 37/62| 46| 28| 24| 27| 12d10| 36 |33[/table]
    I think you are missing a "|" between the breath weapon and the DC of the breath weapon.

Apparently the Quasielemental Plane of Steam is cold (it probably should have been called Mist rather than Steam).

If it has Autohypnosis, it should have the Psionic Subtype.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-05-11 at 03:51 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

30. - Top - End - #870
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Well, I was going to ask for a Komodo Dragon based... um, dragon. But you gots that plague dragon up there. Kind of redundant now, huh?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft