New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default [3.5]Epic Destinies: Eberron

Epic Destinies: Eberron

Epic Destinies are an option for Epic level campaigns. Instead of characters gaining Epic feats at levels 21, 24, 27, and 30 they gain the benefits of their chosen Epic Destiny.

The three epic destinies presented below are specific to Eberron and Dragonmarks. There are three ways to manifest a dragonmark in Eberron and therefore three basic epic destinies. More are possible, of course, such as a destiny that uses a specific dragonmark in new ways, or a destiny for those without dragonmarks. These three are meant to be a base from which to branch off with other ideas and destinies.

Regarding Immortality

Epic destinies usually have a part where it describes what happens to the character after they reach 30th level and the campaign has ended. I chose not to include those for these destinies for one reason, though it has two explanations. I didn't want to state precisely what happens to Post-Epic PC's because in Eberron it should be something that develops from the campaign. As stated in the Players Guide to Eberron, it should be assumed that the Epic PC's are the first ever Epic characters in the world. Also, these destinys tie in with the Draconic Prophecy which doesn't have an official explanation - it's whatever the DM needs it to be. I left the Immortality off so the DM and Players can work it out for themselves.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: [3.5]Epic Destinies: Eberron

Dragonmarked Scion

Requirements: 21st level, Any Greater True Dragonmark

{table=head]Level|Benefit
    21|Exemplar, Dragonmark Inheritance
    24|House Legend
    27|Prophetic Visions
    30|Avatar of Eberron[/table]

Exemplar (Ex)
    The dragonmark you bear grants you an innate mastery over the skills needed to use your mark. You gain a +10 insight bonus on the associated skill of your dragonmark and gain the benefit of Skill Mastery for that skill. When making a skill check with your associated skill you may choose to take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent you from doing so. In addition you gain 1 temporary Action Point at the start of each day. This action point lasts for 24 hours or until you use it.

Dragonmark Inheritance (Sp)
    While lesser beings that bear a dragonmark are restricted by how often they can tap it's power, you have moved past that limitation. You may now use any spell-like abilitiy that is granted by your dragonmark as an At-Will spell-like ability. A saving throw against one of your dragonmark spell-like abilities has a DC of 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Cha modifier. Your caster level for your dragonmark spell-like abilities increases to 10 + 1/2 your character level + your levels in the dragonmark heir prestige class (if any). Also, the number of temporary Action Points you gain each day increases to 2.

House Legend (Ex)
    Dragonmarked Scions command attention and respect by virtue of their power. Creatures that know you are a Dragonmarked Scion are aware of your power and are unconsciously awed by it. All sentient creatures that you encounter start with their initial attitudes towards you increased by one step to a maximum of Helpful. This is not a mind-affecting ability but rather an innate effect of being in your presence. This only applies to your first interaction with a creature; their subsequent attitude in future encounters depends on your actions and otherwise follows the normal rules. Also, the number of temporary Action Points you gain each day increases to 3.

Prophetic Visions (Su)
    The Draconic Prophecy does not merely apply to you, it lives in you. As you increase your control and power over your dragonmark, the dragonmark grants you flashes of insight in the secret workings of the world. Twice per day as a full-round action you can enter a trance similar to a prophetic favor, except that instead of the normal effects you may use the Vision spell as a supernatural ability. Your caster level for this ability equals 10 + 1/2 your character level + your levels in the dragonmark heir prestige class (if any).

As a side effect of the prophecy you gain greater control over your own fate. Whenever you spend an action point you may roll 6d6 and choose the highest result to add to your roll. The number of temporary Action Points you gain each day increases to 4.

Your path through the draconic prophecy has led you to become a living avatar of your dragonmark. You can spend an action point as a standard action to use any power from any other true dragonmark. You may also spend two action points as a standard action to use the spell Limited Wish as a spell-like ability with no experience point cost. The number of temporary Action Points you gain each day increases to 5.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

3. - Top - End - #3

Aberrant Savant

Requirements: 21st level, Greater Aberrant Dragonmark

21|Stolen Favor, Khyber Disciple
    24|Feared & Despised
    27|Whispers of Madness
    30|Corruption of Khyber[/table]

Stolen Favor (Ex)
    While the proud members of the Dragonmarked Houses flout their gifts and powers from their dragonmarks, you were granted no such boon. Cast out from society, the Khyber wyrm has blessed you with the ability to take that which was given to them. Any time a sentient creature is affected by one of your aberrant dragonmark powers you may steal 2 action points from them. These action points remain with you for 24 hours or until you use them. Action points stolen from multiple creatures stack, in effect creating a pool of stolen action points.

Khyber Disciple (Sp)
    Though the Khyber wyrm is imprisoned beneath Eberron it's powers still flow through you. Weaker mortals that attempt to channel the Khybers power do so at risk to themselves, but you have become master of your abilities. You may now use any spell-like abilitiy that is granted by your dragonmark as an At-Will spell-like ability. A saving throw against one of your dragonmark spell-like abilities has a DC of 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Cha modifier. Your caster level for your dragonmark spell-like abilities increases to 10 + 1/2 your character level + your levels in the child of khyber prestige class (if any). Also, you no longer have to make a Fortitude save to avoid the daze effect after using your powers.

Feared and Despised (Ex)
    People hate and fear those that bear aberrant dragonmarks because of the destructive power they possess, believing that the Khyber wyrm slowly twists and maligns the aberrant marked souls. Whether you have succumbed to the evil taint of the Khyber is irrelevant, as the rest of society views you as irredemably corrupt. Though you may hate how they feel about you, you have learned to twist their fear back upon them.

You gain the Frightful Presence ability. The ability can be turned on or off as a free action and effects creatures up to 30 feet. Creatures with less than 20 HD that fail their Will saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 character level + your charisma modifier) are panicked for 5d6 rounds, while creatures with 20 or more HD are frightened for 5d6 rounds. Creatures with more HD than your are instead shaken for 5d6 rounds. An opponent that succeeds on the saving throw is immune to your frightful presence for 24 hours.

Whispers of Madness (Su)
    Your aberrant dragonmark is more than source of your powers. It serves as a conduit between you and the great Khyber wyrm. This usually manifests as a steady stream of whispers in your mind spoken in exotic languages and often incomprehensable. While others would succumb to the voices you have steeled your mind against it and learned to use the whispers against your enemies. You gain immunity to mind-affecting effects. Whenever you affect a creature with one of your aberrant dragonmark powers you may as a free action spend an action point to inflict the target with Insanity as the spell. Spell resistance does not apply but a Will saving throw does negate the effect.

Furthermore whenever you use your Stolen Favor ability you may steal 4 action points instead of 2.

Corruption of Khyber (Su)
    Against all odds and predictions you have survived. Though your enemies be legion you have the power to corrupt and destroy them. Whenever a creature with a dragonmark is affected by one of your aberrant dragonmark powers you may spend an action point as a free action to warp and twist the power within them. For a number of rounds equal to your charisma modifier their dragonmark is corrupted by your influence. During the duration of the effect, every time they use a dragonmark power they take 1d6 points of damage to each of their ability scores. Also, after each use of a dragonmark power they must make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + 1/2 character level + your charisma modifier) or be dazed for 1 round. Finally, the number of action points gained when you use your Stolen Favor ability increases to 6.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2011-06-02 at 08:02 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Siberys Prodigy

Requirements: 21st level, Improved Siberys Mark

21|Without Peer, Siberys Mastery
    24|One Source
    27|Perfect Imitation
    30|Brillance of Siberys[/table]

Without Peer (Ex)
    The Siberys wyrm does not spread his power among a great multitude, instead choosing to concentrate it into a select few individuals. When you spend an action point you may add the sum of all the dice rolled and add it to your d20 roll.

When you fail, the Siberys wyrm grants you power to try again. Once per round when you miss with an attack or fail a saving throw you gain 2 action points. If you voluntarily miss or fail a saving throw you do not gain the action points. These are temporary action points that last for 24 hours or until you use them.

Siberys Mastery (Sp)
    The great sky dragon Siberys has blessed you, granting you enormous power. While others with true dragonmarks have a wider variety of abilities to command, your power runs deeper than any of theirs. You may use your Siberys Mark spell-like ability at-will. Your caster level for your Siberys Mark power is 10 + 1/2 your character level + your levels in the heir of siberys prestige class. If your power requires a saving throw the DC is 10 + 1/2 your character level + your charisma modifier.

One Source (Su)
    The true power of the Siberys mark is not in its single ability, but in the power invested in the person. Each bearer of the Siberys mark learns to use that power in new and different ways. You can channel the raw power of the Siberys mark into positive or negative energy. As a standard action you can spend an action point and make a melee touch attack, choosing either to Heal or to Harm. If you channel positive energy you heal the target as per the Heal spell. Your caster level equals 10 + 1/2 your character level + your levels in the heir of siberys prestige class. Unlike the Heal spell this ability is uncapped and does not limit you to 150 points of damage healed.

If you channel negative energy you damage the target as per the Harm spell. Your caster level equals 10 + 1/2 your character level + your levels in the heir of siberys prestige class. Unlike the Harm spell this ability is uncapped and does not limit you to 150 points of damage dealt.

Perfect Imitation (Sp)
    What you know isn't as limiting as people imagine. Though you bear a single Siberys mark you have learned to imitate the abilities of other marks. As a standard action you may spend an action point and use the Siberys Mark power of any other House. In addition the number of temporary action points you gain when you miss with an attack or fail a saving throw increases to 3.

Brillance of Siberys (Su)
    A true unique creation, you have acheived the pinnacle of power with your Siberys mark. The boasts of others fall silent as you unleash the Siberys inside you, channeling its power to duplicate other dragonmark powers. As an immediate action you may spend an action point to duplicate the effect of a dragonmark power that was just used by another creature. You use your own caster level and saving throw DC to determine the effect.

5. - Top - End - #5

-- Post Reserved --

Comment Away!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Very interesting. This caught me by suprise, but I should have been expecting something involving Epic Destinies to pop up, after that thread asking about them...

Which means there's going to be another thread about them/with hombrewed ones.

As far as I can tell, these seem fairly balanced.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King View Post
    Very interesting. This caught me by suprise, but I should have been expecting something involving Epic Destinies to pop up, after that thread asking about them...

Which means there's going to be another thread about them/with hombrewed ones.
    Which thread is that? I had the idea this morning and decided to write them out.

As far as I can tell, these seem fairly balanced.
    Cool.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    Which thread is that? I had the idea this morning and decided to write them out.
    One in the Roleplaying forum. The guy was asking "what are they, and where can I find them?". I obliged by linking to a webarchive's copy of the article.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.