New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who thread II: "I should have a hat like that." [SPOILERS]

Ah, the other thing I forgot on my list is the Dr telling River his name--that can happen anywhere in space/time before the library, so that isn't such a big deal.

Curly can recap anything and it'd probably be great, but Day of the Daleks post cliffhanger would be nice (also link to part 2 goes to one of the series 4 recaps).

2. - Top - End - #812
    Troll in the Playground

Guys, this is important. What kind of pants does the Eleventh Doctor wear? I'm having a hard time telling. I need to know for Halloween.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

3. - Top - End - #813
    Dwarf in the Playground

They look like plain, normal trousers to me.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mukora View Post
    They look like plain, normal trousers to me.
    But worn slightly too short.
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ettin in the Playground

they are in fact, the Trousers of Time...make sure you put the right leg in first..otherwise having to fight the urge to perform the hokey pokey is going to be the least of your problems
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

6. - Top - End - #816
    Troll in the Playground

As long as they're not the Trousers Cosmic.
    Last edited by turkishproverb; 2011-10-16 at 09:11 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ogre in the Playground

Plain trousers, basically. Dark blue, I believe.
    Far more important is the suspenders. And the fez.
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

8. - Top - End - #818
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    And the bow tie !
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

9. - Top - End - #819
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    This brings up the big question I have about next season. What hat is The Doctor going to wear?

At first I thought it would be something like a sombrero, but that's a little too close to the Stetson. My money is currently on a Bowler, but I'm personally hoping for one of those big furry Russian hats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

10. - Top - End - #820
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    This brings up the big question I have about next season. What hat is The Doctor going to wear?

At first I thought it would be something like a sombrero, but that's a little too close to the Stetson. My money is currently on a Bowler, but I'm personally hoping for one of those big furry Russian hats.
    It's a bearskin. Bearskins are cool.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Whelp, watched all of New Season 6 yesterday then got that hole in my chest that always happens when I don't have any more of the Doctor to watch. I tried to fill that hole with Torchwood, and, well, it wasn't pretty. I do enjoy Torchwood, but I went from the lighty and airy Doctor to the much more macabre Torchwood. Specifically, Season 1 Ep 6: Countryside.
    Spoilers for those who care about Torchwood. (What's the policy about spoilers and Torchwood? It came out a while back, so it should be fine right?)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like I said, the mood whiplash was immense. Going from the Doctor's incredible faith in humanity to murderous cannibals? Going from soft sci-fi to horror? And then at the end when Jack drives a tractor in and shoots everyone? That's one way to resolve the plot, I guess. And then going from the Amy/Rory relationship to Gwen cheating on Rhys with Owen? I enjoyed it, but it's not at all similar to Doctor Who. I knew that going in, but still.

That being said, I'm going back to watching Old Who. My original plan was to watch them all chronologically, but that's never going to happen. I've watched through the first season and a half of Hartnell, but nothing else.

What arcs/serials of the old Who do I absolutely need to see? They don't necessarily have to be the best (although I'd appreciate knowing what those are), but the biggest and the ones that have to do with Time Lords, or the ones that have to do with the Doctor's past, or the ones that have to do with Gallifrey. Or, in other words, the most notable.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    It's a bearskin. Bearskins are cool.
    Nope, I reckon he'll wear a beret.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Nope, I reckon he'll wear a beret.
    Not even The Doctor would make the mistake of thinking berets are cool.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelbert View Post
    That being said, I'm going back to watching Old Who. My original plan was to watch them all chronologically, but that's never going to happen. I've watched through the first season and a half of Hartnell, but nothing else.

What arcs/serials of the old Who do I absolutely need to see? They don't necessarily have to be the best (although I'd appreciate knowing what those are), but the biggest and the ones that have to do with Time Lords, or the ones that have to do with the Doctor's past, or the ones that have to do with Gallifrey. Or, in other words, the most notable.
    I suggest you check my posts uptopic for some ideas (and check back for updates). There aren't many "arcs" as such in old Who, apart from the Key of Time series (Tom Baker) and possibly the Black Guardian trilogy (Peter Davison) and "E-space/Entropy" arc at the change over between Baker and Davison. Also, to be honest, most of the stories involving the Time Lords/Gallifrey tend to be some of the worst. That said, I strongly recommend The War Games (Patrick Troughton).
    The Lazy GM series. Lovingly crafted pre-gen monsters for Pathfinder and OGL d20 fantasy.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    they are in fact, the Trousers of Time...
    Surely the Trousers of Rassilon? All Time Lord artifacts are the something of Rassilon....

16. - Top - End - #826
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    LIES! As somone who had to wear a beret for about two years of his life I can sa they are extremely cool. Still, I vote for Smith to get a viking helmet. No matter how.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    LIES! As somone who had to wear a beret for about two years of his life I can sa they are extremely cool. Still, I vote for Smith to get a viking helmet. No matter how.
    I wore one for 4 years in marching band back in high school, but I was never delusional enough to think they were cool.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2011-10-17 at 06:58 AM.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ettin in the Playground

a Coonskin cap... which at one point comes to life, tries to strangle him and reveals itself to be an alien lifeform planted on him by the Silence /
    Last edited by dehro; 2011-10-17 at 08:51 AM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

19. - Top - End - #829
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, so the 11th Doctor costume probably won't happen. It's hard to find a tweed jacket that isn't super expensive or isn't actually tweed. So I'll probably just do the 10th Doctor. I look more like Tennant anyway.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

20. - Top - End - #830
    Dwarf in the Playground

21. - Top - End - #831
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mukora View Post
    That's not really fair - the Brigadier could make absolutely any headwear seem awesome.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

22. - Top - End - #832
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Thinking about this, I don't think you've quite got it perfect for me... Now if we stick the viking helmet on Rory, then give Smith either a Bicorn or Tricorn hat, that'd be fun
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Amy could pull off wearing a beret.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    Okay, so the 11th Doctor costume probably won't happen. It's hard to find a tweed jacket that isn't super expensive or isn't actually tweed. So I'll probably just do the 10th Doctor. I look more like Tennant anyway.
    check thrift shops.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

25. - Top - End - #835
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Dr. Si's Old Who Recommendations

Continuing my plan to post what I think to be the highlights of every season of Doctor Who, old and new.

For each series I'll try to choose 2, maybe 3 of what I consider to be the best stories, which may comprise any number of actual episodes (somewhere between 1-14, typically 4 or 6). Older Who is nearly always episodic, with NuWho most episodes are self-contained. Feel free to expand on my brief comments, agree, disagree etc. This is, after all, purely subjective.

First Doctor

Second Doctor

Season Seven

Season Eight (1971)
    Third Doctor/Jo

The second Pertwee season introduces The Master for the first time, played excellently by Roger Delgado but having him in every story renders him a bit over-used and diminishes his credibility as an opponent. We also see the introduction of Jo Grant and the consolidation of the recurring UNIT characters.

The Mind Of Evil – Starts out as an interesting political thriller and a meditation on the nature of good and evil. Sadly the interesting political angle gets lost by the end, as it turns into a fairly standard Pertwee-era runabout involving the Master. Also features the unlikely revelation that the Doctor counts Chairman Mao as a friend.

The Daemons – Not, perhaps, as good as its reputation makes it out to be, but certainly the first in a long line of stories where a god or supernatural being turns out to be a powerful alien entity. A fun riff on Denis Wheatley novels, featuring the Brigadier’s immortal line “Jenkins, chap with wings there. Five rounds rapid.”

Honourable Mentions
    Terror Of The Autons – introduces both Jo Grant and the Master. However, it would seem that the technique of colour separation overlay had just been invented and so they use it (badly) for everything, making the story look gaudy and dated.

The Claws Of Axos – more CSO, but better. Some good attempts at really alien stuff, but at four episodes it ultimately feels a bit light, and probably didn’t need the Master.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    You sure about that?
    Last edited by twinkletoes; 2011-10-20 at 09:16 PM.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Orc in the Playground

Default Dr. Si's Old Who Recommendations

Wow, discussion really drops to nothing here when the Doctor isn't currently on TV. So, times for some more nostalgia.

Continuing my plan to post what I think to be the highlights of every season of Doctor Who, old and new.

For each series I'll try to choose 2, maybe 3 of what I consider to be the best stories, which may comprise any number of actual episodes (somewhere between 1-14, typically 4 or 6). Older Who is nearly always episodic, with NuWho most episodes are self-contained. Feel free to expand on my brief comments, agree, disagree etc. This is, after all, purely subjective.

First Doctor

Second Doctor

Third Doctor

Season Nine (1972)
    Third Doctor/Jo

This season is really the first of those featuring the Third Doctor where the action moves away from Earth and off to alien worlds again, and in this it is only partly successful. It has to be said, though, that the Doctor's Earth-bound situation does begin to get claustrophobic and so it is nice to feel the Whoniverse starting to open out again. Also, excellent though Roger Delgado is, it's also refreshing to get some stories without the Master.

The Curse of Peladon – Overtones of a gothic whodunnit, with the mediaeval castle wreathed in storm and prowling monsters. The alien ambassadors are fun, particularly the ridiculous Alpha Centauri, and the story isn’t too predictable. Much better than the return visit.

The Sea Devils – Features one of the Master’s classic scenes (with the Clangers). Some good location filming courtesy of the Royal Navy. Watch for where Katy Manning is replaced with an obviously male stunt double. The experimental electronic music is … an acquired taste, shall we say.

Honourable Mentions
    Hmm… quite a weak season, so difficult. Day Of The Daleks is probably marginally better than The Mutants for its Terminator-esque cause-and-effect storyline, but to be honest the whole season looks a bit cheap.
    Last edited by Dr. Simon; 2012-10-10 at 07:54 AM.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Bugbear in the Playground

In case no one has ever posted this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5N2zVWXVMFA

Related to tenth doctor and the events of End of Time.
    Also known as Jarbis

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ettin in the Playground

Finally bothered to dig this up fez's are cool
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Attention Craig fans: James Corden plays the comic relief in the new Three Musketeers movie.

Also, apparently the hot blonde chick was one of the vampires in The Vampires of Venice.