New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge In The Playground XXVII

Charred Charmer should have 3.5 for Power rather than 4.

3+.5+.5-.5=3.5
    My Extended Homebrewer's Signature

Gunslinger avatar and banner by Flumphy.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    This is not a correction from the chairman, but a request for a clarification, Zipding. Could you expand on your commentary about Practiced Caster and how its use merits a deduction, please? Thanks.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226049
    May be a reference to what is discussed in this thread. Very few people agreed with SirFredgar but it wasn't resolved with everyone agreeing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sorry, gang, but I won't be able to judge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

4. - Top - End - #424

Kobold

Looks like we are just waiting on Honeko then.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow. Zipding really hates the diplomacy skill and the Practiced Spellcaster feat.

Now it was fairly applied across the builds, so I have no complaints, but I am curious. If you have a special ingredient that specializes in controlling things and gives bonuses to diplomacy, then why apply a large penalty for being a "diplomancer"?
    Last edited by gbprime; 2011-12-28 at 08:43 PM.
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gbprime View Post
    Wow. Zipping really hates the diplomacy skill and the Practiced Spellcaster feat.

Now it was fairly applied across the builds, so I have no complaints, but I am curious. If you have a special ingredient that specializes in controlling things and gives bonuses to diplomacy, then why apply a large penalty for being a "diplomancer"?
    I am inclined to agree.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

7. - Top - End - #427
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by gbprime View Post
    Wow. Zipding really hates the diplomacy skill and the Practiced Spellcaster feat.

Diplomancers break the diplomacy ruling system as written in the 3.5 PHB. It is one of the most hated builds along with Cleric/Druidzilla and Batman Wizard.

Diplomancers are very powerful with the 3.5 written system. But that also means that the DM will be very frustrated with the character stopping every encounter because they can physically talk down their opponents.
    Last edited by Zipding; 2011-12-28 at 10:28 PM.
    Best comment I've heard in a D&D game:

Our bard after succeeding in 2 4e grapple checks to slam a female opponent who kind of looks like Ayn Rand:

"I JUST POWERBOMBED AYN RAND!"

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zipding View Post
    Diplomancers are very powerful with the 3.5 written system. But that also means that the DM will be very frustrated with the character stopping every encounter because they can physically talk down their opponents.
    Granted, but this special ingredient also gives said character charm monster and dominate abilities. Is being a diplomancer worth such a penalty in this circumstance?

You're kind of giving them a small bonus for using the diplomacy skill aspect of the PrC and then giving them a large penalty for the exact same thing. Someone can really net more points from you by ignoring the skills aspect of the special ingredient completely!
    Ding, You've Got Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live. - Samuel Clemens

Oh, and DFTBA.

9. - Top - End - #429

Kobold

I can empathize with the criticism of diplomancers, although many of the builds in this contest did it with a good amount of style. It is frustrating to deal with no save effects such as diplomacy. What I found interesting was how you gave bonuses and penalties for the use and non use of Mindsight. I'm honestly a little tired of the Mindbender / Mindsight combo. It is overdone, and there are so many better ways to use Mindsight.

100 feet Mindsight is nice, but why settle for that when you can get a range of miles instead.

Also I've never actually had a problem playing a full on batman wizard in any game. Zillas and Mailmen people have problems with, but I think its more about stealing the spotlight then actual power levels.
    Last edited by The Gilded Duke; 2011-12-29 at 01:45 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Gilded Duke View Post
    100 feet Mindsight is nice, but why settle for that when you can get a range of miles instead.
    Ya one of my favorite builds from IC had 100 miles for his mindsight.

While I don't really agree with Zip's reasoning of penalties for PC or diplomacy I think it is traditional in IC to not debate over judge rulings outside of PMs.
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post

While I don't really agree with Zip's reasoning of penalties for PC or diplomacy I think it is traditional in IC to not debate over judge rulings outside of PMs.
    True. It can get messy fast. I've removed my earlier post.

12. - Top - End - #432

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zipding View Post
    For my judging, all of the builds will start at 3.0, and the scores will adjust from there.

The Ethereal Enslaver of Evil

Power: 2.5
    You take Mindsight, which is a must for telepathy. (+0.5)
    You severely lack any sort of damage output, even after taking all the levels in Mindbender. (-0.5)
    I'm pretty sure you made a mistake here, 3+0.5-0.5 = 3 not 2.5 Could you fix it please.

13. - Top - End - #433

Tradition has been quite the opposite. It is only a product of more recent rounds to cut down the dispute process almost entirely.

I'm glad someone out there was as impressed with Wruk as I was. Power, style, and obscurity--that was a perfect storm!

14. - Top - End - #434
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by The Gilded Duke View Post
    I'm honestly a little tired of the Mindbender / Mindsight combo. It is overdone, and there are so many better ways to use Mindsight.
    Ah, but the synergy of Mindbender/Mindsight is what causes it to be such a dip class (And as level 1 advances casting, if you don't have another source of telepathy as a caster you might as well).

Realistically, in the context of this competition, I can't see how you wouldn't take it, especially as if memory serves for last rounds ShadowDancer a number of people were penalised for not having the Darkstalker feat to use in conjunction with the Hide In Plain Sight ability.
    "No Anti-Magic field ever stopped a pouncing Barbarians Great Club"

Spoilered Stuff!
    Spoiler
    Show

Favourite Threads!

Random
    Spoiler
    Show

I appear to be a pixie. I knew I overflowed with natural charisma

Nooo! I have fallen to being a mere halfling! Guess I'll....umm.....throw things....and bemoan my favored class.....

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    I'm glad someone out there was as impressed with Wruk as I was. Power, style, and obscurity--that was a perfect storm!
    Thank and he was an actual Gnome, unusual for the gnome only PrC. Somehow.

Also I think the debate has been cut down since the perfect storm that was Green Star Adept. Which was about 7 or 8 if memory isn't terrible. Just slowly dwindled away.

16. - Top - End - #436

NecromancerGuy

Thank and he was an actual Gnome, unusual for the gnome only PrC. Somehow.

Also I think the debate has been cut down since the perfect storm that was Green Star Adept. Which was about 7 or 8 if memory isn't terrible. Just slowly dwindled away.
    Private_Prinny cut out the debate in his most recent tour as Chairman in an effort to speed up the time between contests; the process before that was to mail disputes to the Chairman for review and reveal as s/he saw fit. Mailing concerns about scores to the Chairman started as a result of the GSA debacle, which I do not wish to ever see repeated.

The open discussion about ZipDing's scoring STOPS NOW. If, by my query as Chairman about one of his deductions, I opened the floodgates for such discussion, I apologize for creating the impression that such discussion was welcome.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #437
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by cd4 View Post
    I'm pretty sure you made a mistake here, 3+0.5-0.5 = 3 not 2.5 Could you fix it please.
    Fixed. I must have miscounted somehow.

Due to the chairman's request, I have adjusted my scoring for all who used Practiced Spellcaster.
    Last edited by Zipding; 2011-12-29 at 04:52 PM.

Our bard after succeeding in 2 4e grapple checks to slam a female opponent who kind of looks like Ayn Rand:

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Just about 18 hours left for our judge, I hope we get at least one more.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Just about 18 hours left for our judge, I hope we get at least one more.
    Surely there's an unwritten rule that saying that sort of thing means it's not going to happen!

I kid, I kid, More judging is always good

Anything but the Reaping Mauler for the next IC. Anything but that.

I would be interested to see Mortal Hunter done, though really I'm just pondering that out of curiosity for the wacky races that would appear...
    "No Anti-Magic field ever stopped a pouncing Barbarians Great Club"

Spoilered Stuff!
    Spoiler
    Show

Favourite Threads!

Random
    Spoiler
    Show

I appear to be a pixie. I knew I overflowed with natural charisma

Nooo! I have fallen to being a mere halfling! Guess I'll....umm.....throw things....and bemoan my favored class.....

20. - Top - End - #440

Kobold

Mortal hunter could be interesting, although I am still hoping for Dragon Disciple.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I would love to see master of chains, which Thurbane brought up in another thread. Although it would probably be low in number of chefs due to the source being a 3.0 book.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

I would love to see master of chains, which Thurbane brought up in another thread. Although it would probably be low in number of chefs due to the source being a 3.0 book.
    I do have access to that book. Except with that PrC, we would probably be seeing a lot of machine trippers.

23. - Top - End - #443

NecromancerGuy

Mr. Ponies must be frightfully busy this week for his beloved tables to go without an update for so long.

Not much longer now, gang.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #444

Mr. Ponies must be frightfully busy this week for his beloved tables to go without an update for so long.
    I believe that the Charred Charmer is in the lead, but only with half a point. A third judge could be decisive!
    My personal folder is a graveyard of ideas, stuck in their dream phase.
    The "DM won't kill us" attitude is a bubble that sometimes needs to be bursted.
    There's an armor variant rule in UA that will drastically increase character survivability without completely bubble-wrapping them in plot invulnerability
    Throphies won:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #445

NecromancerGuy

And now, it's time for the reveal! Everyone deserves much praise for their entries, and for their patience through the holiday delays.

1st place: Charred Charmer (by Garwain): (17.0 + 15.5)/2 = 16.25

2nd place: Shelob (by Gotterdammerung): (17.0 + 15.0)/2 = 16.0

3rd place (tied): Anjelica (by Piggy Knowles): (17.5 + 12.5)/2 = 15.0

3rd Place (tied): Lydia (by Feytalist): (15.0 + 15.0)/2 = 15.0

Frater Omnia (by Piggy Knowles): (16.0 + 13.0)/2 = 14.5 - Honorable Mention

Enslaver of Evil (by DemonRoach): (16.0 + 12.0)/2 = 14.0

Monty Took (by Venger): (15.0 + 11.5)/2 = 13.25

Sir Daenmoor (by Grey McBannert): (15.0 + 11.5)/2 = 13.25

Senator Graildark (by gbprime): (14.0 + 11.5)/2 = 12.75

Jongler (by DemonRoach): (7.5 + 13.5)/2 = 10.5

Lilly Bleak (by TheGeckoKing): (10.0 + 9.5)/2 = 9.75

Maccles (by nedz): (9.0 + 8.5)/2 = 8.75

Artis (by Tyndmyr): (6.0 + 8.5)/2 = 7.25
    Watch for Iron Chef XXVIII, coming soon to a thread near you!
    Last edited by Amphetryon; 2011-12-30 at 07:13 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #446
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

Well cool beans, I took 2nd place in my first Iron Chef XD.

It was a fun experience and I am happy with 2nd place. I made a stupid mistake when I overlooked that mindbender pets have to be large or smaller. The build still works with large bugs it just would of been more fun with colossals.

I was real surprised I scored so low in originality. I thought for sure a bug queen would stand alone in the originality department and I have never heard of anyone intentionally putting an aberrant dragonmark on there character sheet on purpose, much less 4 aberrant feats. I figured it would be one of those
    " I never would of thought of that" responses from the judges.

But at the same time the judges were very gracious, because the presented build technically didn't work due to the large/collossal mistake. They could of gutted me in elegance for submitting a build with a snag. But they didn't.

Overall, It was a great experience and I will definitely play again. Hopefully next time I won't have any brain farts.

27. - Top - End - #447

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung View Post
    Well cool beans, I took 2nd place in my first Iron Chef XD.
    Good work! I wasn't a judge, but you were actually my favorite. Mostly because I thought Dragonfire Adept was a clever answer to the question of "what class can take 10 levels of Mindbender without totally nerfing itself?" and "control Vermin" was a clever answer to "what can a Mindbender do that other full casters can't do?"

As for Originality, maybe you could give your entries a name that isn't a Tolkien ripoff?
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

28. - Top - End - #448

What a close call! And I'm happy to take the win with my first entry ever!
    Curiously enough, also second place is taken by a first time contestant. What would that mean?

On the other hand, I must admit that I'm not entirely pleased with my build. After seeing the other builds, I realised that I made a crucial error. I read the Mindbender entry as caster level 5, instead of spellcaster level 5. Meaning that I could have entered earlier and finish the fatespinner PrC which would make the build a lot less feat hungry.
    Spoiler
    Show

I would have dropped master specialist. The capstone (negate a +2 bonus on will saves when threatened) dwarves with the capstone of fatespinner (-10 on saves, no save). The build would be something like:
    enchanter 5/mindbender 2/fatespinner 5/complete mindbender and something to top it off.

That would open space for at least a lot more feats to include... hmm.. mindsight?

I loved participating, and I'm looking forward to the next!
    My personal folder is a graveyard of ideas, stuck in their dream phase.
    The "DM won't kill us" attitude is a bubble that sometimes needs to be bursted.
    There's an armor variant rule in UA that will drastically increase character survivability without completely bubble-wrapping them in plot invulnerability
    Throphies won:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #449

Not much longer now, gang.
    You don't know the half of it, friend.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Good work! I wasn't a judge, but you were actually my favorite. Mostly because I thought Dragonfire Adept was a clever answer to the question of "what class can take 10 levels of Mindbender without totally nerfing itself?" and "control Vermin" was a clever answer to "what can a Mindbender do that other full casters can't do?"
    Thanks =)

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    As for Originality, maybe you could give your entries a name that isn't a Tolkien ripoff?
    I meant it more as a tribute, not a rip-off. I didn't think the names would count towards originality since the competition is about the build. I am glad someone noticed the reference though.