Bugbear in the Playground
Join Date: Dec 2011
The Elder Kingdom
Re: Zap and Eldest do Patria! (OoC)
Hey! Thanks for choosing us! First order of business: here's my character info.
Female Human Warrior-Poet, Level
+0, Base Attack Bonus
+9 (1d6+4, x3)
Club (other end of Spear)
+6 (1d4+2, x2) (Nonlethal)
, Bracer of Armor +1
(+4 Armor, +1 Shield, +4 Dex)
Str 14, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 9, Cha 16
Moon, Human Warrior-Poet
- primary melee striker
- secondary tank
- balance of offense and defense
- wields a spear
- Found on the steps of a Sunshani monastery as an infant and raised by the monks that live there
- Trained extensively in the use of the spear and in calligraphy
- Has only left the monastery walls a few times in her life
- Naive, strong-willed, and curious, Moon seeks to learn what life is like outside the monastery, and to make a name for herself
Moon is a young human woman with characteristic Sunshani features. Her tall frame is girt with lithe muscle, and she carries herself with the grace of a master's quill stroke. Her straight, black hair is pulled back into a ponytail that falls to the small of her back, and two eyes the color of olives stare out from just under her bangs. Smooth, hard features adorn her pale skin. She has often been called beautiful.
She wears simple clothing, as would befit a monk or any roadside traveler, though close inspection reveals it to be of quality workmanship. Beneath her cloak, she wears a long, red vest--stretching down nearly to her ankles--that is bound at the waist by a white sash. She wears trousers, boots of supple leather, and a sack--no doubt full of provisions--is slung over one shoulder.
She is in possession of a magnificent spear. Obviously of the highest craftsmanship despite its functional aesthetic, it is a long, black wooden shaft topped by almost a foot of hardened steel. Stretching almost at tall as Moon herself, the other end of the spear ends in a cap that is clearly designed to inflict harm.
Her expression is often stern, but is only rarely threatening. She appears as though she is analyzing everything around her, processing, and acting in response.
Moon doesn't speak often, largely because she has rarely left the monastery, and is almost constantly gauging the world around her. She feels that the world follows a set of rules, that it conforms to a pattern, and she is determined to learn what that pattern is, and master it.
Though she acknowledges that others consider her to be beautiful, she takes no steps to cultivate this beauty. She never wears makeup, and only dresses up on very rare occasions. Some would say that this homespun nature of hers does nothing but amplify her beauty, but that is not her intention.
Moon is most often polite and always collected, but only rarely does she become aggressive. In those moments, she has been described as exceedingly cold.
She is at her happiest when the heat of the day gives way to the cool darkness of night. One of her greatest delights is to walk through gardens or woodlands by the light of the full moon.
Goals and Secrets:
- Moon is an orphan raised by the monks of a Sunshani monastery since they discovered her on their stoop 24 years ago. She has grown to be like a daughter to many of the older monks, and while she was raised according to their teachings, she was always considered a ward instead of one of the members of the monastery.
- From the age of 6, Moon has been trained by the monastery guards in the way of the spear. She is strong for her size and exceptionally graceful. She also has a keen mind from her rigorous studies in history and meditation.
- Tall and slender, with dark brown hair, large, grey eyes, and pale skin just barely kissed by the sun, Moon is a very pretty young woman. She carries herself with poise and confidence, and moves with an economic elegance. While she is aware of her own beauty, she dresses simply and wears no makeup or adornments. She is fond of the color red, and prefers sensible traveler's clothing.
- Moon has only left the monastery a handful of times, but those times have instilled a deep wonder of the outside world.
- Moon is intelligent and courteous, though she is a stranger to the outside world, its people, and its customs. She is a blank slate ready to take in all the world has to offer.
Contacts and Quirks:
- Though she has been free to come and go from the monastery for the past 8 years, Moon has so far been content to stay and train with her surrogate family. Now, though, she has decided to act upon her insatiable desire to see the world. Sturdily outfitted by her caretakers, she has gone forth into the world, intent to drink deep of every culture she can find.
- Though she has never revealed her feelings on the matter, Moon is nevertheless interested to learn about her parentage if she can. Any piece of evidence she might find that will lead her closer to such knowledge will be carefully analyzed and exploited to its fullest extent.
- Though the monks did their best to shield Moon from the less than ideal parts of the outside world, she has nevertheless learned a good deal from merchants and other visitors to the monastery over the years. She knows a little about the unrest amongst the slave population of Sunshan, and can sympathize with their desire to have full control over their lives.
- Moon is of noble birth, and was actually stolen from her parents in a plot to weaken the nobility against a slave revolt. Neither Moon nor the monks that raised her are aware of this.
- Eik Einarson is a Vallheimer of the Hawk Clan. He visits her monastery regularly, though she knows next to nothing about the nature of his visits.
- Brother Goro is the monk who trained Moon in the ways of the spear. He is a hard man, and much of that stern, pragmatic exterior has rubbed off on Moon.
- Vail is a Vallheimer from the Fox Clan. He and Moon met on one of her infrequent excursions into the outside world, at the village nearest to her monastery. They have grown to be acquaintances, though Moon doesn't understand why Vail always seems so melancholy.
- A few years ago, a brash young monk named Lo was expelled from the monastery for trying to force himself on Moon. No one knows where he's gone since he left the monastery, but the look he gave Moon at their parting implied that he wasn't finished with her.
- Moon got her name because the full moon was the only thing guaranteed to calm her crying during her infancy. She is still very fond of moonlit walks, and prefers night to daylight.
- Having been raised by warriors and philosophers, Moon has always lived her life within the bounds of a strict code of conduct. She believes that interactions follow an ironclad series of rules and regulations, not unlike a chess game.
- One of Moon's strongest childhood memories is the music one of the monks would play on his fiddle while she practiced calligraphy with the others.
- The sole piece of Jewelry that Moon wears is a pendant that was with her when the monks found her as an infant. It bears no distinguishing marks, but is of fine craftsmanship. She wears it around her neck, beneath her clothing.
Moon fights with the grace of a leaf curling through the air on its way to the earth. Flips and spins are punctuated by jabs and tight slashes, and at times her spear seems to move like liquid through her hands. She dances around her enemies, wearing down their defenses and delivering a rain of knicks and cuts like the leaves in autumn.
I believe she'll be speaking in Sea Green
is a good example of what Moon looks like as well as her fighting style. Lots of spinny stuff, swapping places, narrow dodges, and parries and stuff. Character-wise, Moon is pretty different from the girl in this anime.
A few things:
Circle of Life mentioned the discrepancy between my wearing both armor and a bracer of armor. I really don't want to use a shield, but I don't mind have a bracer that I use to block as though it's a shield. If I have to chip in a couple hundred extra gold to do so, I'd be happy to make it a "Bracer of Shield +1" instead of "Armor." Is that all right?
As far as where we're starting out, I believe that--while Vail is a Vallheimer--he's lived in the town nearest to my monastery in Sunshan for a while now. Unless Eldest has another idea, I figured that would be where we'd start.
Last edited by Zap Dynamic : 06-25-2012 at 10:52 AM.