New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Morph Bark's Homebrew Tier Compendium

I laughed. A lot. xD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Y'know, considering this is the first time I'm doing this, I kinda felt like I should pick someone easy or with a small amount of 'brew, but you know what? Screwcork to that! I'll just be going with the only one nominated not by himself! Who, presumably, has been notified of course, and since more than 48 hours have passed since the nomination I think I can be safe in saying there aren't any objections on his part. Of course, the next times I do this (because I undoubtedly will do this again, at least if people like the below result), I'll simply roll a die for myself to randomly pick someone nominated. For now though, let's get on with it!
    ...and thus began one of the most awesome internet posts these eyes have ever had the pleasure or reading.

They may have found the Higgs Boson but i have found the best post on the internet!
    OMFGWTF!!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yay! Do me next, do me next!

You know, in celebration of finally having an extended siggy! >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you can nominate people, then I nominate Kellus, because I like his stuff.
    ~ Thanks to Crimmy for Richardtar ~

5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Yay! Do me next, do me next!

You know, in celebration of finally having an extended siggy! >.>
    Me next after Lord_Gareth! For his 'brew be interesting.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Hold it!

Ladies and gentlemen, children of all ages, and Honorable Jury of this Homebrew Court, if I may present an...

Objection!

...and, exerting my right to defend myself, I wish to appeal for a fairer trial!

As my first statement, the appeal is not in order to neglect the judgment of this Honorable Court and of Justice Morpholomew Bark, but that I have found four points that were unduly neglected during the examination.

Point #1:
    During the rigorous examination of my work, which was limited mostly to homebrewed classes, I found that the study of the "Monk" class used an outdated version of the 'brew. If I may, I wish to present this Honorable Court with the latest version of the Monk (Exhibit A). This version is truly in accordance with my vision of homebrewed content, and I recognize its labyrinthine amount of content which may leave people feebleminded upon a close examination. The content has been mildly revised by the good fellows of the Dungeons & Dragons Wiki Proper, Homebrew Consultation and Marketing Services, which may end up further improving the recipe (Exhibit B). I would desire the prosecution to provide a clear definition between my earlier attempt, which I have deemed "Monk Lite" and approved for people intolerant to heavily homebrewed content, from the "Retooled Monk" proper.

Point #2:
    I have found that various pieces of homebrewed content are missing, particularly one which I have yet to update on my Expanded Homebrew Signature. I would like to present the Court with the latest posted 'brew, the Zealot (Exhibit C), a piece of homebrew using the Incarnum system as sanctioned by the Wizards of the Coast, and an extensive revision of the Soulborn class using the Divine Champion chassis as presented in Project Heretica.

Point #3:
    If allowed by this Honorable Court, I would wish to cross-examine the prosecution's dictaminations regarding the Retooled Ranger, on the grounds of "retooling provides no Tier improvement to the class ending in a zero-upgrade version".

The prosecution's words regarding the Retooled Ranger are as follows:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Playgrounders of Homebrew Design forum v. T.G. Oskar View Post
    Ranger; the addition of Trapfinding, Fast Movement and Favoured Terrain/Plane added some minor things to the Ranger, as well as the Fighter bonus feats in addition to his Combat Style, as a whole made the Ranger a lot stronger and allowed for more leniency on feat choice. Lenient on feat choice? Ha! As if anyone needs that! Feats were meant to be rare for anyone but the Fighter! We’re lucky that overall those changes and additions, as well as the switch to Druid spells, still wasn’t enough to increase its Tier, but the changes certainly do make it better. Defendant also may have a hidden love for Disney movies.
    Now, based on the original document regarding the Tier System for classes:
    Quote Originally Posted by JaronK, on the description of tiers
    Tier 3: Capable of doing one thing quite well, while still being useful when that one thing is inappropriate, or capable of doing all things, but not as well as classes that specialize in that area. Occasionally has a mechanical ability that can solve an encounter, but this is relatively rare and easy to deal with. Can be game breaking only with specific intent to do so. Challenging such a character takes some thought from the DM, but isn't too difficult. Will outshine any Tier 5s in the party much of the time.

Examples: Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Crusader, Bard, Swordsage, Binder (without access to the summon monster vestige), Wildshape Varient Ranger, Duskblade, Factotum, Warblade, Psychic Warrior

Tier 4: Capable of doing one thing quite well, but often useless when encounters require other areas of expertise, or capable of doing many things to a reasonable degree of competance without truly shining. Rarely has any abilities that can outright handle an encounter unless that encounter plays directly to the class's main strength. DMs may sometimes need to work to make sure Tier 4s can contribute to an encounter, as their abilities may sometimes leave them useless. Won't outshine anyone except Tier 6s except in specific circumstances that play to their strengths. Cannot compete effectively with Tier 1s that are played well.

Examples: Rogue, Barbarian, Warlock, Warmage, Scout, Ranger, Hexblade, Adept, Spellthief, Marshal, Fighter (Zhentarium Variant)
    The comparison case pits the Wildshape variant Ranger (Exhibit D) with the vanilla Ranger (Exhibit E), placing one in a higher tier than the other. The oft-touted comparison test between Tiers results as follows:

Situation 1: A Black Dragon has been plaguing an area, and he lives in a trap filled cave. Deal with him.

Situation 2: You have been tasked by a nearby country with making contact with the leader of the underground slave resistance of an evil tyranical city state, and get him to trust you.

Situation 3: A huge army of Orcs is approaching the city, and should be here in a week or so. Help the city prepare for war.
    In theory, because of the ability to turn into animals while retaining spellcasting ability, the Ranger can deal with a Black Dragon while avoiding traps through judicious use of wildshape, use forms to avoid suspicion and find the secret hideout of the resistance, and...this person find a lack of evidence to support a city against an army of Orcs.

Now, I would like to present the extensive list of changes done to the Ranger class, and how the changes may present a different observation of the Tier:
    • The list of class skills has been expanded, to add trap-defusing options such as Disable Device, and mobility options such as Tumble.
    • An extensive alteration to Combat Styles in order to change their perception as "fixed set of bonus feats" into veritable improvements to the class. The fact that all improvements are Extraordinary in nature improve their effectiveness.
    • Their spellcasting ability was improved in a significant way. Druid spellcasting is only a fraction of what they possess, as the list of spells includes enhancements such as [Greater] Magic Weapon and Haste, stealth spells such as Invisibility, detection spells such as See Invisibility and even debuffing tactics such as Glitterdust and Slow. These are neither part of the Ranger list nor part of the Druid list, but rather a selection of spells that provide a much-needed boost to the Ranger. Also, a few spells were reduced in spell level for ease of access, such as the Cure Wounds line.
    • Favored Enemy, alongside Favored Terrain, are switchable options. Weekly (or daily with a penalty), the Ranger may switch their set of favored enemies to better suit their needs; as well, the bonus on skills focuses exclusively on stealth and detection skills (no Bluff) and grants the bonus to attack rolls. Favored Enemy can now apply properly against the most common creatures within an area, and works best when the Ranger has prior study of the enemies and the terrain, a tactic often used by Tier 1 characters (although on their own, unlike the Ranger).
    • The addition of Uncanny Dodge and Improved Uncanny Dodge make them able to withstand any ambushes, and even flanking, except by Rogues of four levels higher. A Ranger facing a Rogue four levels higher may also be facing another monster of four levels higher, which by itself involves a "difficult challenge".
    • Their animal companion has been thoroughly boosted to mere inches behind the Druid's one (the Ranger counts as a Druid three levels lower), thus enabling Brown Bears, Dire Lions, Fleshrakers and other nasty creatures to lend their assistance.
    • Their class features reinforce their dual mastery of stealth and perception, as abilities such as Survival Mastery ensure a safe boundary for results, whereas abilities such as Untraceable mingle with Darkstalker to make the Ranger essentially invisible to everything. Camouflage and Hide in Plain Sight are reduced from their original levels to make them viable much earlier.
    • Not only do they have Evasion, they also have Improved Evasion. This means that they'll rarely be harmed by traps in the eventualiity they fail a saving throw, making them more than a match for a Rogue specialized in trap disarming.

Now, using the sanctioned situations where the Tiers are put to test, let's examine the results:
    Situation 1: The Ranger has Disable Device, Search, the Detect Snares and Pits spell, and various other buffs to its disposal. In theory, the Ranger could lead the party to safety, potentially finding how many enemies are located in the cave by looking at the tracks (as the Ranger is a master Survivalist). Fighting alongside the dragon, the Ranger and its animal companion function as a lethal duo, particularly if the Ranger specializes in dragons; as they're about to face a dragon, it is natural that the Ranger changes its enemy specialization to Dragons and its terrain specialization to Underground, thus taking advantage of both bonuses. Albeit not alone, the Ranger can stand its ground effectively against the Dragon, what with its Evasion ability (and eventual Improved Evasion) deny the Dragon's greatest weapon. It all depends on the combat style, as Archery (or Throwing) become particularly potent whereas Capturing not as much (but it allows the Ranger to stand its ground against the Dragon's grappling check, unless it wishes to use Escape Artist).
    Situation #2: The Ranger can use its stealth and athletic skills to find the best path, and through they lack Gather Information to find the individual, a careful search for tracks may lead it to the secret hideout, which it may find using Search. Or, if a contact is available, the Ranger may use Animal Messengers to relay information towards a safer place, one which may be under the Ranger's advantage. This requires a great degree of improvisation, so the Ranger may be under-equipped for this one, but it can solve otherwise.
    Situation #3: The Ranger is a warrior first and foremost, but it also has the skill of creating traps, which it may use to its advantage. By setting up the right terrain and the right favored enemy (orcs), it can take advantage of a great bonus to attack and damage rolls every turn. With spells such as Entangle, Glitterdust, Haste, Slow and others, you can set up various traps that can slow down even the worst horde, while providing your allies with decisive advantages. The Ranger may not be the best leader in the party, but he'll rack up the most kills if set up properly.

Now, this cross-examination may seem a bit biased, but I have presented the sanctioned method of examining a class' Tier, and thus it is reasonable to assume that, with the new evidence, the prosecution may choose to reformulate its statement and potentially improving the rating of the Ranger, at least to borderline Tier 3.

Point #4:
    The last, and in my honest and humble opinion the most important, is that the prosecution gravely misunderstood the scope and importance of Project Heretica, which, if the Court allows me to be so bold, is what I would consider my Magnum Opus; it is, after all, through sublimation of the Paladin to its barest essence that I found the important discovery of the chassis underlying each class, the structure and skeleton of all classes and what, in a sense, defines each.

For starters, as I've stated proper on the first post, it HAS to deal with Paladins, but it goes beyond. The full scope of Project Heretica cannot, and should never be, limited only to its Paladin class. To do so would be to neglect the Blackguard, the Justiciar and the Anarch (what I like to call the "Peanut Butter And Jelly" classes), the extensive boosts to Prestige Classes like the Hospitaller, the Pious Templar, the Gray Guard, the Hunter of the Dead and the Knight of the Chalice, as well as the plethora of Alternate Class Features for all classes, and even the improvements to the Holy Avenger and the introduction of Armor Suits of Virtue.

Now, I understand clearly that the position of the Court is to study the homebrewed classes, as these are the only ones that may be Tiered proper. Even then, the Court (and the Prosecution, by that), neglected the study of the other classes of Project Heretica, as they are based on the same chassis and thus may be seen as mirror images of each other. While this is largely the case, further observation indicates that they hold significative differences. To boot: the Paladin is more defensive, relying on shields and defensive auras, and providing offensive through retributive damage. The Blackguard falls on the line of all-out offense, with most of their tactics being focused towards dealing as much damage as possible, and minor debuffing. The Justiciar has a balanced amount of offense and defense, but it has a strong specialization upon Incapacitation, as it is a deputized officer of the Law. The Anarch relies on happenstance, and its main offensive tactic becomes further improved when leaving luck to the wind. All four, while based on the same chassis, are distinct enough to merit further investigation. Furthermore, the retooled Paladin has been evaluated extensively by the good fellows of the Dungeons & Dragons Wiki Proper, Homebrew Consultation and Marketing Services, of which several changes have been done to power up the class. The fellows have deemed, thus far, that the Project Heretica Paladin stands around the High/Rogue level of balance, which is mostly equivalent to Tier 3 in many cases, or that the 'brew aims for it.

In my humble and honest opinion, I have a worry that the Court may be biased towards considering partial spellcasting unworthy of Tier 3, reserved only for two-thirds spellcasting (the method of spellcasting used by the Bard and the Psychic Warrior). I may be forced to explain, in no simple words, why "half spellcasting" done the right way isn't an impediment for a class to achieve Tier 3, and that such a line of thought leads to discrimination (but perhaps not now, and not in this place). I am strongly against the idea that a Paladin, a Ranger or a "half"-spellcaster cannot reach Tier 3 unless it upgrades to 6-level spellcasting. It is an affront (I may even dare say sin) to creativity, particularly when a creative option such as expanding the spell list to its roots and re-arranging spells may prove just as useful.

After having presented my points, I leave to the consideration of the Honorable Court of Homebrew and its presiding judge, Justice Bark, to analyze my points and re-evaluate the final decision.
    Last edited by T.G. Oskar; 2013-08-11 at 08:40 PM.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Okay now this is the best thread.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

think I have time to grab popcorn?

9. - Top - End - #189

RedWizardGuy

This is legen-allofthelactoseintolrantpeoplegetoutofthethreadbec auseitsabouttobefullof-DARY!
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    This is legen-allofthelactoseintolrantpeoplegetoutofthethreadbec auseitsabouttobefullof-DARY!
    ...while not on the level of the posts we're talking about, this did make me laugh.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Spoilered for file sizes. Be sure to click this before opening the spoiler.
    Spoiler
    Show

...th-this... is an outrage! The defendant does not know his place, frankly we should move to remove him from court immediately and have the punishment inflicted right away!"

"Excuse me, could somebody please explain to me why the Honourable Prosecutor is sitting in my chair?"

"Wh-what? What is this?! National Outrage Day?!"

"No, just the real Justice in this case. Bailiff, kindly remove this man from the stand."

"No! NO! Get your... curse you all! My lawyer will hear of this! And your lawyers will hear from mine! And you from your lawyers! I'll be back, you hear me? I'LL BE BACK!"

"Right. Sure. Anyway, now that I've got my chair back, I've missed you, chairy-chan, I believe there was a case going on here? I was ever so lucky to just be able to catch some of Mr. Oskar's counterpoints to the prosecution, so let us address them, shall we?

Point #1: The Monk
    Due to the surfacing of new evidence in the form of Exhibit B, re-examination of the Monk shall have to be post-poned to another date yet to be determined. The court accepts that the prosecution investigated the wrong evidence and moves to have the Retooled Monk stricken from it and replaced with the Monk Lite.

Point #2: Unchecked Homebrew
    As our capable officers have informed me that they had to work off a list of possibilities submitted by the defendant himself. Due to its apparent incompleteness, further investigation may be necessary, as suggested by the defendant, Mr. Oskar. Cursory investigation into the Zealot suggests that is at least on-par with the official Totemist, which would suggest that the class falls in the Borderline Tier 3-4 range.

Point #3: The Ranger
    The court accepts the defendants plea to re-examination of the Retooled Ranger. While the change in spell list does not influence the class in any major way, nor does the addition of Improved Evasion on account of the class having a good Reflex save and a likely Dexterity focus, ensuring the save will have a high chance of succeeding and thus negating all the damage with normal Evasion, nor does the boost to Combat Styles prove enough to boost it a Tier despite being a very good change and allowing greater flexibility in builds, the court accepts that the additional skills and Trapfinding--normally only accessible as an Alternative Class Feature--add to the class' versatility, as well as the changeable Favoured Enemy, Favoured Terrain and Favoured Plane. On top of this, the court makes note of the large changes in playstyle these additions and changes bring, as well including the addition of Uncanny Dodge and its Improved version and the boost to the Animal Companion, which the court agrees the Ranger deserves. As such, the court makes note of the defendant's concerns and moves to up its Tier.

Point #4: Project Heretica
    Examining the files of the prosecution, they seem have noted that they deemed the other classes mentioned by Mr. Oskar 'similar enough to not warrant further individual investigation'. This is clearly laziness and investigation of the Paladin should not immediately count as investigation of the other classes as well, even though the prosecution did only present their case for the Paladin as not counting for the entire Project. As such, the court makes note to include the other parts of Project Heretica in further investigations.

Now, the court would like Mr. Oskar to know that his concerns regarding the Tiering process will be taken into regard. However, the court would like to inform Mr. Oskar that due to the presence of too few half-casters in official publications it becomes harder to place similar classes, especially since half-casting is usually not really a major feature and tends not to be capitalized on. Of the official classes falling into Tier 3 only the Ranger is one of them and the reason he falls into Tier 3 is because of his Wildshape ability, not his half-casting or other abilities. The others make use of greater-than-half-casting, martial maneuvers or other subsystems, the only true exception being the Duskblade, which falls into the lower end of Tier 3. The court would like to inform Mr. Oskar that it is for this reason that the Borderline Tier was created, which includes the Duskblade, the Totemist and others. Furthermore, the court does acknowledge that classes not using a subsystem can still fall into Tier 3, as the Chozo Warrior, Gambler and Olympian show, and which cursory investigation of the Retooled Monk (the non-Lite version) suggests it falls into.

The court would also like to inform all those present that it does not share the opinion of the prosecution that Wizards of the Coast is 'holy', 'wonderful' or 'illustrious'. The court could also really go for a cup of tea right now.

In any case, Mr. Oskar, I hope you enjoyed this examination and would like to see more of you in the future. As such, I am proud to say that...

tl;dr
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ha! You really think that with T.G. Oskar involved there would be concise versions?

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    To put this differently, after I chose T.G. Oskar for the purpose of this investigation (which I sincerely hope he liked and enjoyed to read and respond to), I realized that I might have chosen a person a little too... grand in his mechanations for a first investigation. Sure, it did allow me to kick this feature of the Homebrew Tier Compendium off with a blast, and sure, there will be more later on, just not yet, as I don't want to overdo this, but I experienced first-hand how Oskar (if I may call him that) can turn even a relatively simple class into a Big Read. And that's not even including everything in his spoiler boxes! It is for this reason that when I reached Project Heretica that I decided to only deal with the Paladin at the time (hence why I linked directly to the post the Paladin is in and not the first post of the thread) and I ended up skipping about a quarter of the links in his Extended Homebrew Signature entirely. I hope I did largely tackle his Retooled classes appropriately and his Warlock is prettymuch my go-to fix for the class if I wish to use a fix. I think my largest problems is, with regards to classes like his Ranger, that I simply am not familiar enough with the Druid's spell list of levels 1-4 to judge how much that would contribute to bringing the Ranger to a higher Tier. From Oskar's end, or any homebrewer's really, I think the problem is moreso not really a problem, but that a person is usually one of the most knowledgeable about their class and what they can do with it, which would automatically mean that by virtue of their mechanically prowess with the class alone they could bring it up a Tier. Sometimes though, a homebrewer overshoots or undershoots their intended goal, yet they cannot see it and think their class is Tier X, while in reality it is Tier X+2 or Tier X-1. In this particular case, I trust that Oskar has greater experience and knowledge about Druids and their spells and thus knows that they would genuinely help the Retooled Ranger to be better than the official Ranger, at least spellcasting-wise (though on part of Combat Style and Animal Companion it is flat-out better, no doubt about it) and that most of the time he certainly has his classes end up in the Tier he aimed for (I am guessing the fact that in his rebuttal he said nothing about the other classes of his that I Tiered means that he largely agrees with the Tiering for them).

Anyway, I had a lot of fun doing this and reading T.G. Oskar's reply. I would like to thank him for his reply and thank Savannah for making the graphic, which will see more use in the future. The next full examination will not follow immediately, as it'd likely get old soon if I did them back-to-back and I'd burn out. I prefer to switch things up and keep it fresh, so the next one may not even go courtroom-style at all! In the meantime, stay tuned everybody, because there are a whole lot more classes waiting out there to be Tiered!

OOC tl;dr
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're a stubborn one, aren't you?
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2012-07-11 at 02:27 PM.
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

Courtcase #Purple: Oscar vs Bark was a pretty good read

also, I would like to recieve a review, as i am rather new to homebrew, although exchanging a rating for the Marine with my original Templar
    Last edited by toapat; 2012-07-11 at 03:33 PM.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

Barrier Mage; Dispeller’s Haze doesn’t specify if it works or doesn’t with non-Barrier Mage spells, which could make it a great dip for other casters. Knowledge (strategy and tactics) doesn’t exist and generally falls under Knowledge (history) due to including facts on wars. The intention here was in keeping from it having any damaging spells even if they are primarily control spells, such as Wall of Fire/Ice and Black Tentacles, though Web isn’t included either. On the other hand, due to its limited skill list and low skill points (though with Int synergy), it cannot function as a skill monkey. Getting damaging control spells or more skill points and class skills and a class feature or two fit for a skillmonkey would make this a real Tier 3 class.

Just according to keikaku*. I aimed it at being roughly equal to the Warmage, and apparently succeeded. The clarification on Dispeller's Haze might be needed, though, and the change to skills as well.

*Translator's note: keikaku means plan
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

As a note, yes I am a stubborn one. What you thought I'd only read the long versions?
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

15. - Top - End - #195

I would like to submit myself and my homebrew to this thread for tiering. My complete list of finished stuff is in my extended homebrew signature, but I will link to a few specific pieces I'd like tiered. Of note: I tend to just make what sounds fun to me, and worry about tiers later, so some of these might be a little unbalanced when compared to some core classes and such.

The Sage. I consider this my best class so far. Gains spellcasting in the form of SLAs, as well as a bunch of Knowledge based abilities. Concept drawn from the age old idea of a wise man on top of a mountain that everyone goes to for advice. Possible tags: [Arcane], [Divine], [Vancian-Unique], [Magic], [Sage]

The Handyman. One of my earlier classes, it's still well done IMHO. Goal was a class who was pretty much strictly skillbased, with a bit of combat thrown in there. Basically a Rogue without the sneaky assassin/theft bits. Possible tags: [Face], [Sage], [Roleplay]

T6 Base Classes. That's right. Eleven classes with an aim of T6. I suspect many of them are actually T5, but there should be at least one here that's T6 material. Most of these are inspired by classes that are not T6, making them...wimpified? Devolved? Sub-par? versions of real base classes.

The Arcane Crafter. Quite possibly the most controversial bit of homebrew I've created, at least one person at my table told me this was tier 0. While I don't believe that for a moment, it is a powerful class. Concept was a caster who specializes in the creation of and modification of magic items. Possible tags: [Arcane], [Vancian], [Crafter], [Magic]

I look forward to anything you may have to say about my classes.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

When you have time--and I mean that quite sincerely, since there's a lot involved here--it would be great if you could attempt to Tier my spellshaping base classes. They're essentially a magical spin-off of the Tome of Battle. Unfortunately, this would mean that you'd have to look through the circles of formulae, as well, since doing otherwise would be akin to trying to Tier the wizard without looking at a single spell in existence.

Base Classes

Circles and Formulae:

Given the ludicrous amount of material here, I'll understand if you choose to delay this one for a while.
    Homebrew I've written. Includes an entire index of the spellshaping materials, as well as a few other tidbits I've done.

17. - Top - End - #197

I wish to humbly present my one and only posted base class, The Open Palm (link in sig) for a good, honest Morphin'!

I warn thee, the fluff is a bit on the long side, and there's a fair bit of reading, but it's only 1, promise!

Impressive work btw, you have the patience of an Inevitable good sir!
    All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by.

My homebrews Moloques! Sagacious Defender of the Forge, The Open Palm, Sacred Scourge, The Bastion
    Co-Developer of the Mutant Powers Project:
    World Warper
    Telekineticist and ACFs, Feats, Shadow Hand PrC

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    As a note, yes I am a stubborn one. What you thought I'd only read the long versions?
    Cheeky!

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis Vigil View Post
    *snip*
    Many "Tier 6" classes I've seen do indeed venture quite easily into Tier 5 terrain. It would also appear that your Arcane Crafter is so overpowered it turned itself into something else!

Quote Originally Posted by Veklim View Post
    Impressive work btw, you have the patience of an Inevitable good sir!
    Now that is just a blatant lie! I... uh... well, I don't quite know how to respond, but still!

Thanks though.

Still, yes, there's been quite a bit of work done in the past month since I started. I started this only on the 7th of June and now, just a little over a month later, I've Tiered 79 original classes and 23 Fix classes.

I originally had actually thought I was on 99 original classes now, but made a miscalculation that made me off by 20, so that's just been fixed. Otherwise I would've made a special occassion out of Tiering the 100th tomorrow morning before the party.
    YouTube channel:

19. - Top - End - #199

Morph Bark, can I get some explanation behind the Tier 2 ranking of my Soulknife fix? I expected Tier 3, and I can see high Tier 3, but I don't see the game breaker that's needed to go to Tier 2. Thanks.
    A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
    Handbooks Index
    My Homebrew Compendium

20. - Top - End - #200

RedWizardGuy

Still, yes, there's been quite a bit of work done in the past month since I started. I started this only on the 7th of June and now, just a little over a month later, I've Tiered 79 original classes and 23 Fix classes.
    Wow. That's a lot.

I originally had actually thought I was on 99 original classes now, but made a miscalculation that made me off by 20, so that's just been fixed.
    Still, it is a lot. And you've technically tiered 102 classes, if you count fixes.

Otherwise I would've made a special occassion out of Tiering the 100th tomorrow morning before the party.
    A PartyITP? I should've known. Haha, have fun at your party. You know, so you can be refreshed for tiering. No, seriously, is there a PartyITP? Because that'd be pretty cool, although I have no idea if that's technically possible and would there be cake if there was?
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

nice job on the 102 ratings
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

would there be cake
    Yes, but we all know the cake is a lie.

That is quite a lot Morph. Congrats!

23. - Top - End - #203
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I would be quite happy if you wanted to check out my japanese stuff (in sig) the ninja is finished, and I guess the samurai is too since no one seems to have had any problems with it. I will build the monk when I get back into the country. (It's hard to get internet here)
    Last edited by madock345; 2012-07-15 at 12:31 AM.
    I can be friendly whenever I wish, Alas for you, wishing to be intelligent does not make it so.

My Ninja and its Setting also, My Samurai P.E.A.C.H!

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Garryl View Post
    Morph Bark, can I get some explanation behind the Tier 2 ranking of my Soulknife fix? I expected Tier 3, and I can see high Tier 3, but I don't see the game breaker that's needed to go to Tier 2. Thanks.
    I'd have to give it a deep look into it again then, I guess. IIRC, it was somewhat well-hidden. I'll give it a re-evaluation at a later date, alright?

Wow. That's a lot.

Still, it is a lot. And you've technically tiered 102 classes, if you count fixes.

A PartyITP? I should've known. Haha, have fun at your party. You know, so you can be refreshed for tiering. No, seriously, is there a PartyITP? Because that'd be pretty cool, although I have no idea if that's technically possible and would there be cake if there was?
    There was cake that day, but not at that party. The cake was only for my family.

Thanks all for the congratulations. Yes, it's been quite a lot so far already, more than I had dared expect at the beginning.

Within shortly, I'll examine mainly martial disciplines, because I intend to use them for a homebrew-heavy game for which inspiration came to me after watching Sword Art Online.

As such, I'll ask a previous question again that was passed over, as I am still thinking I should change the way I tag martial disciplines. Instead of what I have now, I'm thinking of changing it to this:
    Discipline Name
    Creator: Name. Tier: Tier 2-3-4. Skill: Skill. Weapons: Cutty, pokey and crushy. Theme: Theme or themes. Comments:

Alternatively:

Discipline Name
    Creator: Name.
    Tier: Tier 2-3-4.
    Skill: Skill.
    Weapons: Cutty, pokey and crushy.
    Theme: Theme or themes.
    Comments:

Does that sound good? Which of these options looks better to you?
    YouTube channel:

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

I prefer the alternate version you listed last. EDIT: But I said that before.
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2012-07-15 at 01:49 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

26. - Top - End - #206

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    I prefer the alternate version you listed last.
    If you're separating each discipline by individual spoilers, I think the second one would be better. Agreed.

If you're putting disciplines together, the first would probably make it look better based on saved space.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    If you're separating each discipline by individual spoilers, I think the second one would be better. Agreed.

If you're putting disciplines together, the first would probably make it look better based on saved space.
    This ^ I very much agree with Temotoi.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Going to also chime in agreeing with Temotei.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Discipline Name
    Creator: Name.
    Tier: Tier 2-3-4.
    Skill: Skill.
    Weapons: Cutty, pokey and crushy.
    Theme: Theme or themes.
    Comments:
    This just makes me want to make a tier 1 discipline. Just to see if it can be done.

30. - Top - End - #210

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    This just makes me want to make a tier 1 discipline. Just to see if it can be done.
    Level 1 Maneuver:

Win Game
    Action: Free

You win the game.

It's the only maneuver in the discipline, which is unfortunate. It's not very versatile, but I think the power makes up for it.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2012-07-15 at 05:47 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).