Wikipedia has a good list of the different versions
Originally Posted by BIGMamaSloth
1. Are AD&D and 2nd edition the same thing? What are the core book(s) to play called?
2. Are OD&D and 1st the same thing? What are the core book(s) to play called?
3. which one of these two had non-human races as classes? both?
4. Are 1st and second edition very dramatically different? like 3rd and 4th were?
. The article also goes over many of the differences at a high level.
5. Can anyone give me a general feel or idea about these systems to help me decide if I'd like them?
My favorite version is probably 2nd ed AD&D pre-Skills and Powers. It had some of the balancing factors which 3rd lost while remaining fairly simple at heart.
As for whether you'd like it - I suggest taking a good look at Castles and Crusades
- it's an attempt at keeping the best parts of d20 while reverting other areas to something nearer AD&D.
Edit: Almost forgot - there's also OSRIC
, Old School Hack
, and Swords and Wizardy
I laugh at myself first, before anyone else can.
-- Paraphrased from Elsa Maxwell
The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you.
-- Paul Graham in Keep Your Identity Small