"But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth..."
--Umberto Eco, disillusioned Enigmatician
An enigmatician searches through his own subconscious for the solution to the Universe, made manifest through the workings of his bizarre and perplexing Puzzle Box.
BECOMING AN ENIGMATICIAN
Any person willing to put in the great amount of research necessary to understand the inner machinery of the Universe can become an enigmatician.
Knowledge (Arcana) 8 ranks, any other Knowledge skill 8 ranks
*New feat described below.
The Enigmatician's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (all, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Sense Motive (Wis).
Skills Points at Each Level:
2 + Int
|Level||Base Attack Bonus||Fort Save||Ref Save||Will Save||Special|
|Puzzle box, core, puzzles (2)|
|Enigmatic visage, puzzle|
|Enigma, puzzling mind|
|Riddling soul, puzzle|
: An enigmatician gains no new weapon, armor, or shield proficiency.
The heart of an enigmatician's power is the strange riddle made tangible: his puzzle box, an intricately carved metaphysical item made of wood, metal, and gemstones which holds the key to the enigmatician's personal Universe. A puzzle box is made up of two parts -- first the core, an inner reservoir that the enigmatician activates with metaphysical power, and second, an outer layer of puzzles which protect and shield the core. The enigmatician can unlock the puzzles one by one, releasing some amount of the power stored inside to alter the world around him. See Core and Puzzles, below, for more details.
An enigmatician crafts his puzzle box upon entry to this class, and can only have one such box at a time. It counts as a wondrous item, though it requires no feats, gold, or XP to craft (except in the case of Gemstone puzzles; see below); however, crafting the puzzle box requires one week of time, spent as if crafting a wondrous item. A damaged or destroyed puzzle box can be rebuilt by spending another week crafting. Since the puzzle box represents the enigmatician's subconscious mind, every puzzle box made by a given enigmatician at a given level is the same, though that enigmatician's personal puzzle box grows more complex as he gains experience.
Most enigmaticians guard their puzzle boxes with a fanatical reverence. However, occasionally one is stolen, or (more often) the owner is killed, leaving the puzzle box to be found by others. See Puzzle Box as Treasure, below, for details.
The core is the secret heart of the puzzle box, a cache of power that the enigmatician activates by infusing it with his own lifeforce and consciousness. The core is inert whenever it is not storing power. To activate an inert core, the enigmatician spends 10 minutes in meditation. At this point he chooses the core's Charge, which can be any number up to his class level. After the meditation is finished, the enigmatician's hit point total is reduced by 1d4 times the core's Charge; this is not damage, and cannot be prevented, reduced, or healed in any way, though he regains the lost hit points whenever the core discharges. When the core is active, the caster level for all of the box's puzzles is equal to twice the Charge.
As long as at least one puzzle in the box remains locked, the core's power and Charge remain preserved within. However, when every puzzle is unlocked, the box opens, and the metaphysical energy in the core is released in an explosive burst, damaging all nearby creatures other than the enigmatician. The explosion deals 4d6 points of untyped damage times the box's Charge, in a radius of 10 feet times the Charge. Affected creatures may make a Reflex save for half damage at a DC of 10 + Charge + enigmatician's Intelligence modifier. This explosion does not damage the box, but does render the core inert until the enigmatician takes 10 minutes to activate it again.
Around the core of the puzzle box are built puzzles which, when unlocked, cause the world around the box to warp based on the enigmatician's subconscious. The puzzles built into the box can be unlocked in any order, and the order in which the puzzles are unlocked also alters the effects which are produced – the more puzzles which are unlocked, the closer the box is to being opened, and the stronger each subsequent effect is. The puzzles can be unlocked any number of times, and produce their effects as long as the core is active; if the core is inert, then unlocking a puzzle has no effect.
An enigmatician's puzzle box begins with two built-in puzzles at 1st level, and he adds an additional puzzle at every even level, to a maximum of 7 puzzles at 10th level. The specific effect produced by unlocking a puzzle depends on three things: the Material, the Manipulation, and the Release. The Material (the substance which the puzzle is built out of) determines the available effects, and is chosen when the puzzle is built from among the wood, metal, and gemstone Materials detailed below. The enigmatician may choose the same material more than once, if he likes; most enigmaticians, however, have a more widely-varied subconscious and choose a different material for each puzzle.
The enigmatician chooses the Manipulation (the way in which the puzzle is unlocked) when he unlocks the puzzle, selecting either Disengage, Press, or Rotate; this determines which effect the puzzle produces. The strength of the produced effect depends on the Release (R), which is equal to the number of puzzles which are unlocked (including the current puzzle). For example, the first puzzle to be unlocked would have an R of 1, the second would have an R of 2, and so forth.
Unlocking a puzzle requires a standard action which does not provoke attacks of opportunity (just like activating a wondrous item which requires manipulation); locking a puzzle again requires another standard action. In addition, in any round in which the enigmatician locks or unlocks a puzzle, he can lock or unlock a puzzle as a swift action as well. A puzzle box automatically re-locks all unlocked puzzles after 5 minutes of inactivity, even when the core is inert.
All puzzle abilities are spell-like abilities unless specified otherwise. The effects have a caster level equal to twice the core's Charge, and a save DC (if applicable) of 10 + Charge + the enigmatician's Intelligence modifier.
Enigmatic visage (Su):
Wooden puzzles are more internal than external, defensive than offensive. They enhance the enigmatician personally, or offer protection from various threats.
is associated with charisma, self confidence, and bravery.
- Disengage -- Gain a morale bonus of +R to Charisma for 1 minute.
- Press -- R creatures within 30 feet gain the benefit of the remove fear spell.
- Rotate -- Gain a morale bonus of +2 times R on attack rolls, saves, and skill checks for 1 minute.
is associated with intellect, communication, and mental fortitude.
- Disengage -- Speak telepathically with any creatures who have language within 30 feet for R rounds.
- Press -- Gain an insight bonus of +R to Intelligence for 1 minute.
- Rotate -- Remove a charm or compulsion effect from an ally with a touch by making a dispel check (using the caster level of the puzzle box).
is associated with rebirth, renewal, and healing.
- Disengage -- Gain fast healing R for 1 minute.
- Press -- As long as Charge is at least 4, grant the benefit of the reincarnation spell with a touch. The material components must be provided.
- Rotate -- Gain immmunity to fatigue and exhaustion for R minutes.
grants insight into the workings of the fey, and protection from extraplanar evils.
- Disengage -- Gain the benefit of the magic circle against evil spell for R rounds.
- Press -- Gain DR R/lawful for 1 minute.
- Rotate -- As long as Charge is at least 4, use dismissal as the spell against any creature within 10 feet per R.
is associated with endurance and protection from lightning.
- Disengage -- Become immune to sickness and nausea for R rounds.
- Press -- Gain electricity resistance equal to 3 times R for 1 minute.
- Rotate -- Gain a bonus of +R to Constitution for 1 minute.
provides psychic protection, and the ability to detect and conceal magic.
- Disengage -- As long as Charge is at least 4, gain the benefit of the analyze dweomer spell for R rounds.
- Press -- Grant the benefit of nondetection for R minutes with a touch.
- Rotate -- Become immune to damage to your mental ability scores for R rounds.
grants wisdom, magical knowledge, and optimism.
- Disengage -- Gain a +2 morale bonus times R to saves against fear effects for 1 minute.
- Press -- Gain an insight bonus of +R to Wisdom for 1 minute.
- Rotate -- Gain an insight bonus of +2 times R to Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft checks for 1 minute.
is related to purity and strength.
- Disengage -- Become immune to poision for R rounds.
- Press -- Gain a bonus of +R to Strength for 1 minute.
- Rotate -- Gain a +R untyped bonus to Armor Class for 1 minute.
is most closely associated with illusion, divination, and enchantment magic.
- Disengage -- Gain an insight bonus of +R to caster level for the next divination spell you cast.
- Press -- Gain an insight bonus of +R to caster level for the next enchantment spell you cast.
- Rotate -- Gain an insight bonus of +R to caster level for the next illusion spell you cast.
is strongly tied to truth and protection.
- Disengage -- Gain the benefit of the discern lies spell for R minutes.
- Press -- Gain a +R morale bonus on all Wisdom-based skills for 1 minute.
- Rotate -- Gain a +R bonus to natural armor for 1 minute.
increases facility with evocation, abjuration, and elemental magic.
- Disengage -- Gain the use of the Energy Substitution metamagic feat for the energy type of your choice for R rounds.
- Press -- Gain an insight bonus of +R to caster level for the next evocation spell you cast.
- Rotate -- Gain an insight bonus of +R to caster level for the next abjuration spell you cast.
is a remedy for many types of ailments.
- Disengage -- Grant the benefit of the remove disease spell with a touch.
- Press -- Create 3 times R goodberries.
- Rotate -- Grant the benefit of the remove blindness/deafness spell with a touch.
has strong associations with the wind, and with conjuration and transmutation magic.
- Disengage -- Gain an insight bonus of +R to the next conjuration spell you cast.
- Press -- Gain an insight bonus of +R to caster level for the next transmutation spell you cast.
- Rotate -- Gain a flight speed of 10 feet per R with good maneuverability for 1 minute.
is tied to death and rebirth.
- Disengage -- Gain an insight bonus of +R to the next necromancy spell you cast.
- Press -- Gain the benefit of the death ward spell for R rounds.
- Rotate -- Restore R points of ability damage with a touch, as per the lesser restoration spell.
Metal puzzles are used for manipulation of energies and forces. They are generally offensive, though some defensive uses exist.
is associated with reflection of light and energy.
- Disengage -- Gain the benefit of the invisibility spell for R rounds.
- Press -- Turn back the next R levels of spells cast at you, as per spell turning.
- Rotate -- Receive R mirror images, as per the mirror image spell.
is used for conducting electricity and negative energy.
- Disengage -- Create a lightning bolt (as the spell) to a distance of 10 feet per R.
- Press -- Deal Rd4 negative energy damage with a touch.
- Rotate -- Gain the benefit of the call lightning spell for R rounds.
is associated with the sun and positive energy.
- Disengage -- Deal Rd6 damage as per searing light.
- Press -- Deal 4d6 damage to and blind a single creature within 10 feet per R as per sunbeam.
- Rotate -- Turn undead as a cleric of the box's caster level, with a bonus of +R on the turning check.
is strongly connected with earth, and with man-made weapons.
- Disengage -- Grant a touched weapon the benefit of greater magic weapon for R rounds.
- Press -- As long as Charge is at least 3, gain the benefit of the stone shape spell.
- Rotate -- Deal 2d4 per R as per the hail of stone spell.
- Disengage -- Use a targeted dispel effect (as per dispel magic) against any creature within 10 feet per R, using the caster level of the box.
- Press -- Create a wall of force, as the spell, for R rounds.
- Rotate -- Generate an antimagic field (as per the spell) for R rounds, which does not suppress its own effect.
is a mutable metal, facilitating transformation.
- Disengage -- Assume gaseous form (as the spell) for R rounds.
- Press -- Gain 2 primary claw attacks which deal Rd6 base damage for 1 minute.
- Rotate -- Increase your size by one category for R rounds.
exists in several different dimensions.
- Disengage -- Use the Transdimensional Spell metamagic feat spontaneously for R rounds.
- Press -- Create twice R magic missiles, as the spell.
- Rotate -- Affect a creature within 10 feet per R with the effect of the dimensional anchor spell.
has ties to cold and ice.
- Disengage -- Deal 1d8 per round for R rounds and cause fatigue to one target.
- Press -- Cause an ice storm, as the spell, which deals Rd6 damage.
- Rotate -- Cause R Dexterity damage with a touch, Fort save for half damage.
is related to fire and acid.
- Disengage -- Create a ball which does Rd6 damage, half fire and half acid, as per fireball.
- Press -- Cause a heat metal effect which lasts for R rounds.
- Rotate -- Create acid fog, as the spell, which lasts for R rounds.
is associated with the moon.
- Disengage -- Create a moon blade (as per the spell) for R rounds.
- Press -- Deal R/2 d4 Strength damage as per the moon bolt spell.
- Rotate -- Affect R creatures with faerie fire, as the spell.
Gemstone puzzles are extremely varied and powerful, but expensive to build. Each gemstone puzzle requires 1000gp in special materials.
is a versatile gem which promotes love and protection.
- Disengage -- Create a charm monster effect (as the spell) for R minutes.
- Press -- Gain a +2 times R bonus to Charisma-based skill checks for R rounds.
- Rotate -- Gain a +R deflection bonus to AC for 1 minute.
calls upon fire and positive energy.
- Disengage -- Gain resistance to fire equal to 3 times R for 1 minute.
- Press -- Heal all allies and damage undead within 30 feet for Rd6 damage.
- Rotate -- Produce a radiant fog effect (as the spell) for R minutes.
calms the mind and aids meditation.
- Disengage -- Produce a calm emotions effect (as the spell) for R rounds.
- Press -- As long as Charge is 4 or greater, eavesdrop on the minds of R creatures as per brain spider for 1 minute.
- Rotate -- Gain the benefit of the tongues spell for R minutes.
is a powerful gem with several uses.
- Disengage -- As long as Charge is 3 or greater, produce a black tentacles effect (as per the spell) for R rounds.
- Press -- Gain a +R bonus to Dexterity for 1 minute.
- Rotate -- Assume the form of a tree as per the tree shape spell for R rounds.
is associated with radiance and light.
- Disengage -- Become immune to blindness for R minutes.
- Press -- As long as Charge is 5 or greater, produce the effect of the prismatic ray spell, but the target is blinded for R/2 rounds.
- Rotate -- Produce the effect of the glitterdust spell for R rounds.
is connected to earth.
- Disengage -- Summon 1d3 small earth elementals as per the summon monster IV spell for R rounds.
- Press -- Gain a stoneskin effect (as per the spell) which protects against 10 points per R of damage.
- Rotate -- Gain the benefit of the meld into stone spell for R rounds.
is strongly tied to lawful alignments.
- Disengage -- As long as Charge is 3 or higher, produce the effect of the order's wrath spell.
- Press -- Gain the benefit of the magic circle against chaos spell for R minutes.
- Rotate -- Imbue a weapon you wield with the effect of the lawful sword spell for R rounds, as long as you wield it.
is tied to luck and prosperity.
- Disengage -- As long as Charge is 2 or higher, roll twice for your next saving throw and take the better result.
- Press -- Gain the benefit of the freedom of movement spell for R rounds.
- Rotate -- Affect a creature within 30 feet who fails a Will save (DC 13+R) with the effect of the unluck spell for R rounds.
- Disengage -- Produce a fog cloud effect for R rounds.
- Press -- Summon a water mephit as per summon monster IV for R rounds.
- Rotate -- You and R allies gain the benefit of water breathing for 1 minute.
- Disengage -- Produce an enthrall effect for R rounds.
- Press -- Affect R creatures as per the greater command spell.
- Rotate -- Increase the DC of the next enchantment spell you cast by +R/2.
is used for altering textures.
- Disengage -- As long as Charge is 4 or higher, produce a transmute rock to mud effect.
- Press -- Produce a grease effect as the spell for R rounds.
- Rotate -- Produce a web effect as the spell for R rounds.
is very useful for defensive magic.
- Disengage -- Gain the benefit of the mage armor spell for R minutes.
- Press -- Gain the benefit of the shield spell for R minutes.
- Rotate -- Gain the benefit of the conviction spell for R minutes.
- Disengage -- Increase all your movement modes by 10 feet per R for 1 minute.
- Press -- Teleport up to 20 feet per R as per the dimension hop spell.
- Rotate -- As long as Charge is 5 or greater, gain the benefit of the shadow walk spell for R minutes.
produces calming, soporific effects.
- Disengage -- Produce the effect of the deep slumber spell for R rounds.
- Press -- Target R creatures with the effect of the slow spell.
- Rotate -- As long as Charge is 4 or greater, produce the effect of the waves of fatigue spell.
aids in controlling the weather.
- Disengage -- Produce the effect of the gust of wind spell for R rounds.
- Press -- Produce the effect of the sleet storm spell for R rounds.
- Rotate -- Produce the effect of the fog cloud spell for R minutes.
is used for vibrations and sonic effects.
- Disengage -- Produce the effect of the shatter spell in a 5 foot per R radius spread.
- Press -- Deal Rd8 sonic damage with a touch.
- Rotate -- Gain resistance to sonic equal to 3 per R for 1 minute.
promotes community and protection.
- Disengage -- Produce the effect of the sacred guardian spell for R minutes.
- Press -- Allies gain a +R morale bonus on rolls as per the prayer spell, while enemies suffer a -R penalty to the same rolls.
- Rotate -- Gain immunity to 1 spell (as per the spell immunity spell) for R minutes.
Other woods, metals, and gemstones exist and can be used to make puzzles, but their properties are not as well studied. (i.e., ask your DM.)
Beginning at 2nd level, an enigmatician's metaphysical connection to his puzzle box strengthens such that the intricate carvings warp the space around him, making him difficult to hit. Any creature trying to attack the enigmatician in melee combat suffers a miss chance on the attack of 5% times the box's Charge.
At 3rd level, and every odd level after, an enigmatician learns the secret to a riddle of his personal Universe, granting him some measure of insight into himself and his surroundings. He learns one enigma chosen from the list below at each indicated level. Activating an enigma ability requires one minute of meditation, and the enigmatician can have only one enigma active at a time.
Puzzling mind (Su):
Enigma of Animus Unbound (Ex): While this enigma is activated, the enigmatician is immune to effects which would affect his soul, such as magic jar or trap the soul. In addition, any effect which would cause him to temporarily enter the Astral, Ethereal, or Shadow plane (e.g., ethereal jaunt or shadow walk) is doubled in duration.
Enigma of Harnessed Time (Ex): While this enigma is active, an enigmatician may take an extra standard or move action on his turn. However, he loses both his standard and move actions on his following turn. This benefit cannot be gained on consecutive turns.
Enigma of Lonely Existence (Su): When this enigma is activated, the enigmatician receives the benefit of the sanctuary spell; the DC of the Will save is 10 + 1/2 the enigmatician's class level + the enigmatician's Intelligence modifier. The enigmatician may deactivate this ability as a move action.
Enigma of Mortal Reticence (Su): While this enigma is active, any creature other than the enigmatician which attempts to cast a spell with a verbal component within 10 feet per enigmatician level takes 1d4 damage times the level of the spell (possibly disrupting the spellcasting, and forcing a Concentration check).
Enigma of Passive Solemnity (Su): While this enigma is active, any creature other than the enigmatician which attempts to cast a spell with a verbal component within 10 feet per enigmatician level must make a Will save (DC 10 + the spell's level + the enigmatician's Intelligence modifier), or the spell fails.
Enigma of Sight Retained (Ex): While this enigma is active, the enigmatician gains blindsight out to 10 feet times his Intelligence modifier as long as his eyes are closed. As soon as he opens his eyes (a free action), he loses the benefit of this enigma and must spend another minute in meditation to regain it. While his eyes are closed, the enigmatician may not perform any action which would require actual sight, such as reading a book (including a spellbook), casting from a scroll, or seeing through a mundane disguise.
Enigma of Sublime Communion (Su): While this enigma is active, the enigmatician may gain the benefit of the divination spell at will. However, each time he does so, he suffers a cumulative 10% chance of deactivating the enigma (maximum 90%). When this enigma ends, the enigmatician becomes confused as per the spell for a number of rounds equal to the number of divinations he made. No immmunity to mind-affecting or confusion affects can prevent this confusion from occurring.
Enigma of Synthetic Knowledge (Su): This enigma has an instantaneous duration; when it is activated, the enigmatician may make a Bardic Knowledge check on any topic, using twice his enigmatician level as his effective bard level for the check.
Enigma of Unbridled Awareness (Ex): When activating this enigma, an enigmatician may assign himself a penalty to Listen, Search, and Spot checks up to his Wisdom modifier. He gains half the assigned penalty as an insight bonus to Initiative checks. Alternatively, he may assign himself a penalty up to his Dexterity modifier on initiative checks, and gain an equal insight bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. The enigmatician may deactivate this ability as a move action.
Enigma of Unlearned Skills (Ex): When activating this enigma, an enigmatician may choose one skill in which he has ranks, and for which it is possible to take 20. He may take 20 on that skill in half the normal time, but may not take 10 or 20 on any other skill check. He may deactivate this enigma as a swift action.
An enigmatician of 5th level or higher has modeled his puzzle box after his subconscious, and the similarity between the two has altered his conscious mind in unpredictable ways. Any mind-affecting effect used against the enigmatician a 5% chance times his puzzle box's Charge of failing to affect him (roll the failure chance before any save or spell/power resistance, if applicable).
Riddling soul (Su):
Upon reaching 10th level, an enigmatician has learned, by using his puzzle box, how to become another riddle in the Universe, one that is devilishly difficult to solve. Any creature attempting a divination effect of any kind against an enigmatician has a 10% chance times his puzzle box's Charge of failing to affect him (roll the failure chance before any save or spell/power resistance, if applicable).
PLAYING AN ENIGMATICIAN
An enigmatician is a strange creature, whose mind is his namesake. He seeks answers for the unanswerable, and knowledge of the deepest secrets in the Universe. He knows, however, that such secrets will change the way he thinks, even as his thoughts shape the truth he discovers. The enigmas that an enigmatician learns are baffling abilities which reflect the underlying strangeness of the Universe. He represents his understanding of such riddles with his puzzle box, a powerful and versatile tool for shaping the world around him.
An enigmatician has the usual options that a member of his original class has in combat; however, he also has a number of other options granted him by his puzzle box, depending on the puzzles he builds into it. As no two puzzle boxes are the same, the tactics of individual engimaticians vary wildly.
An enigmatician's path of advancement is very dependent on his choice of enigmas and puzzles, which change from one character to another.
Enigmaticians are highly individualistic, and almost never willing to share secrets with each other – not through contrariness, but from a simple understanding that one enigmatician will interpret the riddles of the Universe very differently from another, and so such sharing is usually pointless. However, many enigmaticians end up as iconic cryptic advisors to kingdoms and powerful warlords, giving them support systems to continue their research.
ENIGMATICIAN IN THE WORLD
"He stood, terrible in his understanding, and spoke words which burrowed into my mind. I have not forgotten them, but neither can I articulate them to you, for they struck a chord deep within me that is beyond description." - Syllana Darrow, queen of Meidania, in a letter to her cousin Ness
Few people realize the specific existence of enigmaticians. They are often found in similar situations to other wizards or archivists, delving into arcane and abstruse knowledge that laymen have no interest in. However, those who delve deeper find that an enigmatician is an extremely introspective and cryptic soul, prone to speak in riddles and profundites. An enigmatician is never found without a puzzle box; indeed, they often fidget and manipulate them unconsciously during conversation.
An enigmatician at home spends most waking hours in contemplation of his books, and especially his puzzle box. An adventuring enigmatician seeks clues to ancient riddles in abandoned ruins, or in discourse with a great wyrm with similar interests.
Tarrin Wirth is the most famous enigmatician in recorded history, as premier advisor to Warlord Hakkor Savin during his conquest of the Eight Kingdoms. It is said that Master Wirth rarely took to the field, but when he did, the natives quickly surrendered as their leaders were struck dead in a matter of minutes. Wirth was said to have a puzzle box of unusual complexity and size, and kept it floating on a disk that followed him around at all times.
There are no dedicated organizations for enigmaticians, but they are often found in colleges, secret arcane cabals, or libraries run by priests of Boccob.
Standing behind the throne is a strange man with hooded eyes, watching the proceedings while his hands roam endlessly over an intricately-carved wood-and-metal cube. He speaks in cryptic riddles, and is quite intimidating in his knowledge and understanding. He is clearly a man of power, and his whispered words in the king's ear are always given immediate attention.
ENIGMATICIAN IN THE GAME
An enigmatician gives up progression in his previous class for a lot of reusable versatility. Most of the puzzles duplicate spell effects and are useable multiple times per day, but with shorter durations or smaller effects than if cast using regular spell slots. The class is extremely customizable, with almost 27 million different combinations of puzzles available. No two enigmaticians should be the same.
Enigmaticians fit in any campaign where someone might be interested in unlocking the secrets of the Universe, and of their own mind.
The enigmatician is the power behind the throne, the hermit studying ancient texts, or the scholarly professor teaching in riddles.
Universal Enigma Feat:
Puzzle Box as Treasure:
Varies (usually around 5 lbs)
Intricately carved from countless pieces of wood, metal, and gems, this inscrutable cube seems to draw the eye in bizarre ways, warping light around itself.
A puzzle box is the creation of an Enigmatician, a person who dedicated their life to understanding the profound riddles of the Universe by building the box to reflect their own subconscious. Most of the puzzle box's strange powers can only be unlocked by its Enigmatician master; however, the box is clearly an object of some power, and it likely has such power stored within its core.
When a puzzle built into the box is unlocked by someone other than its creator, if the Charge is more than 0 (so the core is active), it releases a burst of multicolored light, but otherwise has no effect. Once the last puzzle on a charged box is unlocked, however, the core discharges violently, dealing 4d6 untyped damage times the Charge in a radius of 10 feet times the Charge. Anyone caught in the blast can attempt a Reflex save (DC 13 + Charge) for half damage.
The caster level for a puzzle box is equal to twice its Charge; the aura is faint for a Charge of 0-2, moderate for a Charge of 3-5, and strong for a Charge of 6 or more. The cost of a box depends on the number and type of puzzles built into it; the base price is 3,000 gp, increasing by 2,000 gp for each puzzle and an extra 1,000 gp for each gemstone puzzle.
A found puzzle box will have 2-7 puzzles and a Charge of 0 to 10; roll on the table below to randomly generate a puzzle box. Each puzzle can be unlocked as a standard action by making an Intelligence check (DC 15 + Charge). However, the box has strange effects on the mind, and can lead to obsessive behavior. Any creature who attempts to identify
the box or unlock one of its puzzles must make a Will save at a DC of 17 or become fascinated with the box: holding it and playing with it without realizing they are doing so, protecting it from harm, becoming irrationally angry with those who attempt to take it from them. A creature which fails the Intelligence check to unlock the puzzle receives a -4 penalty on the Will save. The obsession passes after 48 hours without touching or seeing the puzzle box, though any further attempts to unlock the puzzle box trigger a new Will save.
A creature who is obsessed with the box may decide, upon accumulating enough experience to gain a level, to enter the Enigmatician class. An obsessed creature need not meet the feat or skill prerequisites of the class, though they must attempt to do so at the earliest opportunity (spending their next skill points in Knowledge skills and taking Universal Enigma as their next feat). When they have taken their first level of Enigmatician, they spend a week tinkering with the puzzle box, making alterations to the puzzles (and to their own subconscious) until the box is fully active and produces the normal effects. Each time they could build a new puzzle into the box, instead they adapt and alter an existing puzzle, slowly mastering this object that has taken over their life.
Random Puzzle Box:
Creator must be an enigmatician, Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks
cost to create:
Cost varies depending on materials; 7 days