Orc in the Playground
Join Date: Jan 2012
The Nightmare Shards (3.5, Eberron, Psionic)
He stood in the middle of the meadow he had always visited in his childhood, the wind blowing up the pollen of the flowers. His nose tingled, and he felt a sneeze coming on. As he tried to lft his arm to his face, he heard a cracking. Looking down, he saw that his body had turned to brittle, irridescent glass. He could feel his heart race as he tried not to move and to stifle his sneeze, flakes of him drifitng off in the wind. Despite his efforts he sneezed explosivly. Chunks of glass feel from his body, and his lungs filled with the shattered glass of his throat. He collapsed, coughing violently as his body tore itself to shining pieces. He awoke with a start. Around him was nothing but darkness. With a small focusing his eyes started to emit their own light, and he saw that he was still in the back of his wagon, lying in a tangle of his blankets. Sighing with relief, he crawled to the opening in the front of the wagon and got back into the driver seat. He knew he wouldnt be able to sleep again that night, the nightmare were getting worse. But he was loyal, and he only needed to carry the thing in his pocket for a little longer. He could even see the light of the town ahead, the last one between him and his destination. Soon his burden would be gone, and his loyalty rewarded.
The Big 16:
1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)? D&D 3.5
2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)? The setting for this is going to be Eberron. It will have some horror game undertones, but that isn't the focus. The main focus is on psionics. Every character must be psionic in some way.
3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? 4-6, with a few alternates if I get too many finished sheets.
4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? The forum.
5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)? 8th Level.
6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? Base Wealth for 8th Level.
7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? As stated above, all characters must be psionic in some way, and it should be one of the focuses of the character. So a Psychic Warrior with a few fighter levels for bonus feats is fine, but a fighter with a few levels in PW for Inertial Armor is not. Homebrew must be asked about in advance, I consider 3rd party and Dragon Comp/Mag homebrew. Also, before anyone asks, NO THRALLHERD OR LEADERSHIP OF ANY KIND.
8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? Eberron races are allowed obviously, along with the base races. Any race can be choosen, as long as the LA does not exceed +1 (and its not homebrew). I will not accept homebrew races, so please don't ask.
9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? 7d6b3. For HP roll normaly, but any dice that roll under the average are brought up to the average (example: roll a 2 on a d10, it gets brought up to a 5).
10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? I do allow evil, but please do not be Chaotic Stupid, and be reasonable about your evil too. Just because your evil doesn't mean there arn't people you care about, or at least want to keep alive. Same goes for Lawful stupid and overly good characters.
11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? No multi-class penalties. But keep it reasonable, if your build need 5 different classes and a monster race, something is wrong.
12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? You roll your attacks and skills that you are doing alone. I will roll in the open for the monsters and NPCs. I will roll things like Listen or Spot myself, since its faster. I may hide certain rolls (like a monsters hide check, or a NPCs sense motive).
13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. You get a feat every two levels (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, etc.) but you also are not allowed any flaws or traits.
14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? Skirt length at least. Bigger is better, but don't go to overboard with it. Something you all should keep in mind is that all of the party does know each other, and have adventured together occasionally.
15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? A bit of everything will be used, and the more roleplay the better.
16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? Any book published by WotC is allowed. 3rd Party and Dragon Comp/Mag I consider homebrew, so ask first, and don't use to much of it. No homebrew races.
This is more re-stating the above and the way I DM rather than House Rules, but meh.
1. Story goes over all: If I have to fudge a dice roll to stop yu from dying the first combat, or a villans saving throw so that he can return later on, I will. Almost always I do this to keep the story together and avoid stupid things happening (big bad fails saving throw against a Slaying Arrow, dies first round of combat for example), so don't worry about it to much.
2. There is Roleplaying XP, but not to much of it, and its given if the roleplaying is good or funny without derailing the game. Think of it more as a gift rather than expecting it. You should still roleplay anyway.
3. For feats, you get one every 2 levels, so the progression is 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th, 15th, 17th, 19th, etc. But, you also cannot take flaws or traits.
4. For HP any dice that roll under average are brought up to average. So a 2 on a d10 would become a 5.
5. No Thrallherd, or leadership feats of any kind. I have never had a good experience with any of those feats in any game I have run.
6. Homebrew is allowed, but you have to ask about it and cite it. I consider Dragon Comp/Mag and 3rd Party to be be homebrew. The exception to this is homebrew races, don't even bother asking.
TL;DR- 8TH LEVEL. EBERRON. EVERYONE MUST BE PSIONIC.