New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Culture Explores 40K III: Just As Planned

What's the point of the last link? Apart from getting me to stop using 'alot'. =P

Hell, 'here is a list of things that mostly have to do with psychic power, and can't on their own cause huge problems with bringing things from the Warp into the Real when poked with a stick, and are fairly safe to experiment with' would be a huge boon to The Culture... simply getting a lot of those things, and some of their most psychically sensitive people, and a bunch of sensors all in the same place would be profoundly useful!
    Of course, unlike the IoM, fairly safe for the Culture could still be pretty deadly for most anyone else provided the effect is local and isn't warp shenanigans.

That said, this would admittedly be a major step up from making a tiny variation in warp drives, setting an IoM-style cogitator to perform the sequence of steps to get it into the warp and back out, running ten light years away and waiting for a day before creeping back in to see what remains of the rock you put it on.

And quite probably, the Eldar would put in a few more minor unknown items of interest to the Eldar that the Eldar can't get access to. After all, if the Culture are going to do some research anyway, might as well get them to answer questions you wish you knew the answers to as well.
    Tack on retrieval of a few Eldar artifacts as "tuition fees" (and primarily because the farseers will see they can get away with asking for them) and that sounds like a deal the Eldar could accept.

I take it the Imperium wouldn't accept this student-mentor like relationship even when it would be immensely helpful to them? =D Yup, probably not.

Now, it's just a matter of political will, what with Alaitoc and Ulthwe probably going to oppose this move from this unnamed-probably-minor craftworld.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    What's the point of the last link? Apart from getting me to stop using 'alot'. =P
    You understand!

3. - Top - End - #33

Kobold

And quite probably, the Eldar would put in a few more minor unknown items of interest to the Eldar that the Eldar can't get access to. After all, if the Culture are going to do some research anyway, might as well get them to answer questions you wish you knew the answers to as well.
    Tack on retrieval of a few Eldar artifacts as "tuition fees" (and primarily because the farseers will see they can get away with asking for them) and that sounds like a deal the Eldar could accept.
    That's what I was going for, I guess. Though I would expect the conversation would be like, "Why are there no Eldar artifacts on this list?" "Naive Child! That is because every Eldar artifact can be assumed to be at the very least, psychoreactive -- from a paintbrush to a baby's doll! Further, we don't want you poking and prodding superior Eldar artifacts; they are profoundly more complex and correct than their Mon-keigh equivalents. No, if you are to understand things by taking them apart and keeping them, they must never be Eldar artifacts. The fact that you are doing non-invasive scans when you rapidly return them to us is galling enough!"

Also... this minor Craftworld probably wouldn't have the expertise to make all of the sorts of things that Eldar are capable of making in general. Hence, why it is a minor craftworld, rather than a major one, you know? Not that they'd let some upstart Mon-Keighs know that...

Anyway, why don't you make it Arach-Qin or Zahr-Tann? Those are some canonical 'minor' craftworlds with no particular details mentioned about them.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2012-12-30 at 12:20 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quickly replying to a few of the more important debates while I was away. Won't be all that active for a few days more.

Tau warp skimming/Hyperdrive compatibility, and general warp/hyperspace interaction.

I'm mostly with jseah on this, though I'd argue that for full consistency.. both should be reachable from the other. The warp as a "conceptual dimension" or "alternate plane" should be linked to all of realspace, including the fourth spatial dimension. However, it's totally feasible for the hyperdrives themselves to not function within the warp, at least not until the Culture has a much better understanding of warp engineering. The hyperspace parts of minds/drones having problems is also consistent, though perhaps making hyperdrives work in the webway will prove not too difficult since it has much more normal physics. Anyway, doing warp skimming from hyperspace seems consistent to me.

Mindstates having souls

With the working interpretation of a WH40k soul as a warp pattern which grows alongside a biological, is wiped "clean" with a new body, and is not present in drones/non-warptech based machine intelligences (which afaik fits WH40k cannon, and the interactions in this fic so far).. I don't see how a mindstate could consistently be said to have a WH40k soul. Mindstates are also very manipulable/copyable by Minds, and can even be transformed into minds. Giving them that kind of power in the warp would be extremely destabilizing, and result in the story being decided almost entirely by the Minds having to to adapt to a new set of laws, but having infinite soulpower+universe simulating intelligence vs the Chaos gods working in their natural habitat, but being massively outmatched in raw power (finite souls/thoughtpower is less than infinite souls/thoughtpower), intelligence, and ability to work in realspace. Giving AI-Warp a direct bridge (and mindstates are a form of AI) would be one way to handle interactions, but it'd make for a much less interesting story and would be inconsistent with previous interactions.

True Faith

How is this not a purely warp phenomenon? Sure, it's not the same as psyker power or Chaos powers.. but it seems like it fits as a GEoM worship power. And GEoM is in some ways comparable to a god of the warp (links below for how this could work). Adding another layer of new physics to explain the miracles seems entirely unnecessary when order/faith based warp patterns could easily enough produce things which would be thought of as miracles, and it's not like anyone's used the scientific method extensively with adequate tools in a way which could rule this out. Having the worship of the Order God and a Chaos God be mutually exclusive, so faith provides resistance to Chaos corruption also makes perfect sense to me. And to explain why it's not as obvious/common/clear as Chaos worship powers.. GEoM's not fully ascended to godhood. He does not have the same level of active power, yet.

Also, some interesting (though non-cannon) reading material, especially the bits about the GEoM:
    http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=51806 WH50k
    http://www.thebolthole.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=231 WH60K

I had a dream in which me and my partner were on a post multi apocalyptic world (it seemed like everyone had got hypertech) which had most of the factions from this, stealing some tech from a crashed Culture ship to sell to IoM for protection from Daemons and Nids last night. It was pretty epic.

And I'll reply to the non-cannon futures when I have more time :)

oh and updated the storypost listings. will see about improving things there sometime, maybe working with the google doc... and that prequel.
    Last edited by etesp; 2012-12-30 at 01:14 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35

Kobold

The thing with Faith powers is that non-psykers do them, they don't scan as psychic energy to other Psykers or Aetherscopes or similar. It certainly has something to do with the Warp, yes, but it is more mysterious than normal psyker stuff... the rules aren't as clear.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    The thing with Faith powers is that non-psykers do them, they don't scan as psychic energy to other Psykers or Aetherscopes or similar. It certainly has something to do with the Warp, yes, but it is more mysterious than normal psyker stuff... the rules aren't as clear.
    I just assume that "Faith Powers" represent the God Emperor of Mankind, and/or his nascent starchildy warp self actively stepping in and doing stuff.

Which would mean trying to manipulate or fake it would be, uh, risky? But this is just my head-canon.

7. - Top - End - #37

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by etesp View Post
    I'm mostly with jseah on this, though I'd argue that for full consistency.. both should be reachable from the other. The warp as a "conceptual dimension" or "alternate plane" should be linked to all of realspace, including the fourth spatial dimension. However, it's totally feasible for the hyperdrives themselves to not function within the warp, at least not until the Culture has a much better understanding of warp engineering. The hyperspace parts of minds/drones having problems is also consistent, though perhaps making hyperdrives work in the webway will prove not too difficult since it has much more normal physics. Anyway, doing warp skimming from hyperspace seems consistent to me.
    It's also possible that the Old Ones who made the Webway either intentionally or unintentionally didn't give it more dimensions when they were setting the 'reality' parameters.

Though I would expect a ship with 4d spatial dimension stuff out in the Warp proper to, depending on exactly how many spatial dimensions the Warp is operating at, have those hyperspace bits phase in or out of accessibility... as the spatial dimensions (and number thereof!) of the Warp temporarily line up in a way that provides access. Basically, you can consider that the number of spatial dimension in the Warp proper varies greatly. Anywhere from three to 6 or 7 or 11 or 13 or whatever.

Remember that there are ways to protect a ship in the Warp other than a Gellar Field. Have enough Orks on it with Ork Teef on the ship, and the WAAGH reality-distorting field will let the Teef effectively warn demons away. Sorcery can do it too.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2012-12-30 at 01:58 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Oh yeah - Orks don't travel with Gellar Fields when they ride Space Hulks through the Warp. They treat demonic incursions as free live-fire training sessions.

9. - Top - End - #39

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Oh yeah - Orks don't travel with Gellar Fields when they ride Space Hulks through the Warp. They treat demonic incursions as free live-fire training sessions.
    The current Canon is that the Teef that are on Ork ships do prevent demonic incursion...

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Except when they're doing a leadership contest by force of arms, then efficiency matters alot. Especially when you aren't interested in harvesting pain and more interested in not dying.

And of course, Culture railguns will be smaller, lighter and far far more powerful. Being you know, antimatter powered.

Parra:
    The Culture need galaxy-wide reach before that becomes a possibility. They have maybe 1/3 of the galaxy properly surveyed. Ask again in a year.
    Dark Eldar do feed off each other so they'd likely use their pain weapons if possible.

Faith Powers could be like getting direct power from Chaos, which in itself doesn't look like Warp powers. I'm talking about the blessings and mutations here.

If the biggest gates were built by the Old Ones and can't be reproduced even by the Eldar in the height of their Empire then I would suspect the Culture can't figure it out without Subliming. After all the Old Ones are/were a Sublimed race from what we can tell.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

11. - Top - End - #41

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    After all the Old Ones are/were a Sublimed race from what we can tell.
    Well, no, the Old Ones were physically present. They were just a, you know... deity-like race. We don't know if ANYTHING Sublimed in the sense of Culture-verse, in 40k-ness. Not the gods, not anything... Subliming has a very, very particular meaning, that is unlike any of the gods I've heard described in 40k.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2012-12-30 at 05:57 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Well, no, the Old Ones were physically present. They were just a, you know... deity-like race. We don't know if ANYTHING Sublimed in the sense of Culture-verse, in 40k-ness. Not the gods, not anything... Subliming has a very, very particular meaning, that is unlike any of the gods I've heard described in 40k.
    I don't really know the exact definition of Sublime race but I think they fit the portfolio close enough.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

13. - Top - End - #43

Kobold

I don't really know the exact definition of Sublime race but I think they fit the portfolio close enough.
    I would described a Sublime race as "A civilization that has done the technological process of ascending to the 7th, 8th, 9th spatial dimensions, which has extremely limited contact with the rest of the 'real' world, but apparently is living in some sort of empirically verifiable heaven where they are nigh indestructible and truly immortal and indestructible and their identity and capabilities and who they are have progressed immeasurably beyond what is possible in the simple Real, and where there is no war or major conflict amongst Sublimated races."

So... nothing like any 40k gods or anything like that, whatsoever.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2012-12-30 at 09:45 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

The current Canon is that the Teef that are on Ork ships do prevent demonic incursion...
    Yeah, but not on Space Hulks, Teef are on actual Ork ships. Presumably Hulks the Orks have fully Orkified might get Teef though.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2012-12-30 at 06:22 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

part 9.5 Necrons
    Spoiler
    Show
    Week 1
    I have followed the other Necron fleet to another Tomb World, this one considerably more populous and active than the one we originally encountered. This Tomb World is near the galactic core and a considerable way outside our sphere of operation, so I will have to act alone.

The Necron Lord has confirmed that the Necrons have a copy of our intelligence engineering library. I have concluded a small exchange of information on our respective "empires".

This Necron dynasty is extensive and we seemed to have arrived in the galaxy at a point where they are about to become active on the galactic stage. They consist of nearly a hundred Tomb Worlds, in roughly the same galactic region, of varying importance and capabilities.

This exchange is considerably more fruitful in establishing friendly relations, helped in major part by our lack of planetary occupation. The Necrons, despite being collectivist, are very territorial and regard previously Necron held planets as theirs. Apart from this seemingly illogical motive (by my estimate, the Necrons do not have anywhere near the military power to hold that many planets against the IoM which will doubtless retaliate), the Necrons appear to be not hostile towards the Culture who do not settle on planets and therefore are not intruding on their territory.

I, White Devil, have been invited to be a representative of the Culture and serve as a contact point between us and the Necrons. Upon learning that this ROU does not have any organic crew (I neglected to mention the captured Necron warriors), the Necrons were much more friendly. In virtual exact opposite to the IoM, although not as extreme, the Necrons seem to dislike organic intelligences and prefer inorganic ones.

I am currently trying to negotiate another exchange on information, specifically regarding Chaos as a threat and the current state of galactic politics.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Heh that'll be funny. Back in the Necron's time Chaos wasn't a threat. Most of the Chaos gods (somehow, seriously this doesn't make sense.) hadn't come into existence yet and the Old Ones hadn't unleashed/attracted/whatever they did to the Enslavers which are a very very dangerous warp predator. Which also somehow unstabilized the warp more making it more dangerous in general.

Not that they haven't learned anything since waking up but they'd be beat by almost every faction except Tau.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

17. - Top - End - #47

Kobold

Not that they haven't learned anything since waking up but they'd be beat by almost every faction except Tau.
    Except that the way they do combat is... weird, based on what the other factions know. Larger amounts of teleportation, highly resilient and regenerative forces, indomitable advance, and they teleport away to repair to some place extremely far away (in a tactical sense) from the 'front', where the factions often have no idea where they went to...

As far as ship to ship combat goes, they extremely capable, highly durable voidships as well, that can phase out and leave too! Also, their ships tend to be much faster than non-Necron ships of equivalent types, and are and have a bonus to speed from spinning up their ftl engines when going all out in a straight line... and they have weapons with some special abilities that make them very good against other, more 'normal' ships... their main problems is that they don't rely on true energy shields, and that the 'point' system of battlefleet gothic means they have less guns per points in an 'equivalent' fleet, and are penalized heavily for losing ANY ships in the battlefleet gothic rules, and their weapons are short ranged... but a lot of those problems aren't really problems when not playing an actual game of battlefleet gothic, ya know?
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2012-12-31 at 03:35 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Except that the way they do combat is... weird, based on what the other factions know. Larger amounts of teleportation, highly resilient and regenerative forces, indomitable advance, and they teleport away to repair to some place extremely far away (in a tactical sense) from the 'front', where the factions often have no idea where they went to...

As far as ship to ship combat goes, they extremely capable, highly durable voidships as well, that can phase out and leave too! Also, their ships tend to be much faster than non-Necron ships of equivalent types, and are and have a bonus to speed from spinning up their ftl engines when going all out in a straight line... and they have weapons with some special abilities that make them very good against other, more 'normal' ships... their main problems is that they don't rely on true energy shields, and that the 'point' system of battlefleet gothic means they have less guns per points in an 'equivalent' fleet, and are penalized heavily for losing ANY ships in the battlefleet gothic rules, and their weapons are short ranged... but a lot of those problems aren't really problems when not playing an actual game of battlefleet gothic, ya know?
    I'm talking about what they know about Chaos.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

19. - Top - End - #49

Kobold

I'm talking about what they know about Chaos.
    Oh I thought you meant beat in a straight fight. Well, they can give data on what the Warp was like way back in the day... which can be quite telling, actually.

Also they know a lot about fields that interact with the warp; their pyramids aren't the only thing that does something to the warp, they made the Pylons too.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2012-12-31 at 08:07 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

part 9.5 Necrons
    Spoiler
    Show
    Week 2
    The Necrons have indicated that they have been active in the last few years and so know most of their local area. No mention of how they knew the new Tombworld has become active, but they did say that the Tombworld we activated was not of a dynasty they are familiar with.

While they are familiar with the IoM, at least at the point of a gun, they appreciate our understanding of the IoM's xenophobia. Of Chaos, they have only limited information so I have taken the liberty to provide them with our collected data on Chaos.
    Upon mention that we have contact with the Eldar, the Necrons demanded strategic information on them, which I have denied for obvious reasons. To be fair, I did mention that we are not in the habit of letting civilizations kill each other and will also not be providing any information on the Necrons to the Eldar. (although the Eldar haven't asked)

They have shared details on their history, which colours some additional minor details of the War in Heaven but otherwise broadly agrees with our other two accounts. Of note is the mention that the Warp was once calmer and the Chaos gods are entities that the Necrons are unfamiliar with.
    While they did not quite thank us for providing that information, we have come to a mutual understanding that Chaos is a common enemy, even if the Culture and Necrons do not see eye to eye on methods of dealing with it.

Since our diplomatic relations have progressed far more rapidly than with the lone half-crazy Necron Lord (which they have admitted happens more often than they would have liked, not even Necron technology can perfectly preseve digital intelligences for many millions of years; heck, even we cannot preserve a drone with much confidence for the same length of time without active methods), I am beginning to think that a more fruitful relationship is possible.

In line with our standard diplomatic advances, I will be negotiating the possibility of a cultural exchange. Perhaps some drone citizens will be interested in this task, therefore I request backup from any GCU with some appropriate and interested SC drones. ROUs are not suited for diplomatic work, whatever the Necrons seem to think.
    Last edited by jseah; 2013-01-01 at 11:42 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

I would like to add that the current limits of D-Cannon tech are currently size, and power generation, removing these from the Eldar by giving them civilian power generators / material fabrication would probably allow them to apply it to D-Cannon weaponry (Which they do still manufacture.), and from there..

Well, hand held reality alteration guns.

22. - Top - End - #52

Kobold

Hey Jseah, sent you an email; could you respond to it? Thanks!

23. - Top - End - #53

Kobold

So I've been reading the Necron Codex...

...and as best as I can figure, Trazyn the Infinite is basically a James Bond Villain. Or maybe a Sherlock Holmes villain. Eccentric, a collector, a genius mastermind, but he has a code and rules he plays by. He's the sort of guy that would set up a betrayal, complete with a near-impossible to escape deathtrap for some sort of highly capable, powerful enemy... and then if the enemy manages to, via genius and cunning, escape the deathtrap, he would let them go (probably having an underling return their equipment to them if they do manage to escape; fair play and all that) and (from afar), send a message where he genuinely congratulates them on their achievement and say he looks forward to meeting them again. He's the sort of man that is a genius so far ahead of the other folk he comes in contact with, that he is profoundly bored, and relishes an intellectual challenge.

And hmmm... One of the Necron Codices says that Hyperspace (which is described pretty much identically to how it is in the Culture series) is no defense against Daemons; to them, it is essentially another aspect of reality to corrupt... :|
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2013-01-01 at 11:38 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54

There's a reason the fa/tg/guys call him Trollzyn.

He's Doctor Doom meets Indiana Jones meets the Terminator, with a healthy dose of James Bond villain on top. If you've got something he wants, he'll be very happy to make an honest trade for something you want that he has or can get, especially if it's the easiest way to get what he's after. He's also probably the galaxy's best historian outside the Black Library itself.

And he wouldn't need to congratulate the person from afar. He'd do it in person, and if they killed him, reveal that 'he' was actually a Doombotrobot double anyways. He does this all the time.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2013-01-02 at 12:45 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't get the collection of story posts link to work - can't find the server. I'd rather not trawl through a hundred pages for this story, so I'd appreciate it if someone who has them on hand could do something about that.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fan View Post
    I would like to add that the current limits of D-Cannon tech are currently size, and power generation, removing these from the Eldar by giving them civilian power generators / material fabrication would probably allow them to apply it to D-Cannon weaponry (Which they do still manufacture.), and from there..

Well, hand held reality alteration guns.
    D-Cannons aren't true reality alteration that proper warp-fields are, it's a very specific form of reality alteration.

Still, I find it interesting that the Eldar do still use normal materials. I was under the impression they used *only* warp materials.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Random_person View Post
    I can't get the collection of story posts link to work - can't find the server. I'd rather not trawl through a hundred pages for this story, so I'd appreciate it if someone who has them on hand could do something about that.
    If it's still not working for you:

Spoiler
    Show
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14058411&postcount=761 invitation to collect parts+retcon bits for accuracy/consistency
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1136 suggestions for retcons/issues
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=83 http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=96 diplomatic/goal analysis of all factions
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=98 Warp/Soul/Psyker interpretations
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...MZtqFUo8Q/edit Large section of story in a google doc, slightly edited.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=38 (1)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=102 (2)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=274 (3)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=320 (Eldar Farseers)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=371 (Ulthwe Seer Council, Sol intrusion)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=646 (4)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=762 (IoM)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=834 (IoM)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=860 (Rogue Trader) Background: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=242

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=867 (Rogue Trader)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=900 (Rogue Trader)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=912 (IoM)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=955 (5)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=985 (IoM)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1001 (IoM)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1012 (IoM)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1031 (Necron+IoM Farmworld)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1120 (Necron)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1154 (Rogue Trader)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1234 (Rogue Trader)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1236 (Eldar meeting)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1286 (Eldar)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1317 (Eldar)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1338 (6)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1339 (Tyranid)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1363 (Necrons: tombworld)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1396 (Eldar diplomacy)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1398 (Necron preparations)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1404 (The Dig)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1465 (Necrons - Fallout)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1487 (Necrons)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=84 (Necrons - Fallout cont)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=99 (Necrons - Closing)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=106 (Eldar pirates, Rogue Trader)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=156 (Rogue Trader)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=211 (Rogue Trader vs Chaos)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=221 (Rogue Trader vs Chaos)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=241 (Rogue Trader - Fallout)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=255 (Rogue Trader)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=282 (Orks)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=284 (Orks)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=296 (Orks)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=319 (Orks/Necrons)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=332 (Orks)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=355 (Eldar)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=358 (7)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=381 (Chaos)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=397 (Tau)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=427 (Tau)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=481 (Tau)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=483 (IoM)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=537 (IoM)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=544 (IoM)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=668 (IoM) http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=669 (Possible Culture plans for IoM)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=734 (IoM, Necrons)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=750 (IoM, Necrons)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=763 (Necrons) http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=787 (Necron diplomacy log)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=781 (Rogue Trader)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=793 (Rogue Trader)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=829 (Rogue Trader)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=839 (Orks, Rogue Trader)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=863 (Orks)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=893 (Orks)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=938 (Orks)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=946 (A Certain Chaotic Warp Sorcerer)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=947 (Eldar)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=949 (Eldar)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=960 (8)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=975 (Tau)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=995 (Tau)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1044 (Tau)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1072 (A Certain Chaotic Warp Sorcerer)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1073 (A Certain Chaotic Warp Sorcerer)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1092 (Dark Eldar)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1131 (Dark Eldar)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1170 (Orks)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1176 (Orks)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1200 (IoM, Macragge)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1204 (Rogue Trader)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1210 (Rogue Trader)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1212 (Rogue Trader, Necrons)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1218 (Necrons)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1240 (Eldar, Necrons)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1247 (9)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1251 (Culture half year report)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1254 (Tau)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1255 ("The Durfan Empire", Eldar)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1257 (Tau)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1273 (A Certain Chaotic Warp Sorceror)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1292 (Rogue Trader, Eldar)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1361 (Rogue Trader)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1416 (Eldar)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1417 (Rogue Trader)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1437 (Rogue Trader - Fallout)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1440 (Hypothetical non-fic-canon timeline: "The Culture as New Chaos")

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...postcount=1466 (Dark Eldar)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...72&postcount=6 (Dark Eldar)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=10 (Dark Eldar)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=45 (Necrons)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=50 (Necrons)

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

D-Cannons aren't true reality alteration that proper warp-fields are, it's a very specific form of reality alteration.

Still, I find it interesting that the Eldar do still use normal materials. I was under the impression they used *only* warp materials.
    By the most general possible definition every weapon is a form of reality alteration.

Also they do have handheld versions, if slightly less powerful, in wraithcannons.

They use some. Like the ammo in the shurikan catapults. Also presumably their food isn't warp materials either. I think it's pretty minimal but at the same time I'm pretty sure the fluff is scarce and inconsistent on the manner.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

part 9.5 Necrons
    Spoiler
    Show
    Week 3
    It seems that the Necrons wish to remain... aloof is the best translation. A cultural exchange will have to wait. I am shifting priorities to negotiating a technology exchange although this does not seem too likely.

Apart from the monolith, a direct explanation and knowledge base, even if flawed, would be much better to work on. Additionally, I have shared some of our insights into sub-atomic engineering

part 9.5 Orks
    Spoiler
    Show
    Week 1
    Progress on the 'escape plan' continues. Further influence on the organic crew is appearing and in particular, the SC agent acting as warboss has somehow escaped before his scheduled transfer using a clever ploy involving a body double. I am still tracking down exactly how he managed to fool the Reload nanites into building another of him without triggering alarms.

In any case, the SC agent can be considered to have gone rogue. I fear I will lose most of the crew (except a few notable cases of seeming immunity to the Ork influence, analysis indicates they were the ones who were excluded from the expedition due to the Orks judging them as un-orky)

Week 2
    I believe I have tracked down the device at fault. Some creative effector modulation managed to pry a low resolution scan through the various ork shields due to an inherent flaw (that doesn't exist in any competently built shield, including the IoM's) in many of them.

I detected an interestingly different Ork device. It appears to be an electronics hacking tool of some sophistication, cobbled together from spare parts and displaying warp-effects that is characteristic of all Ork advanced equipment. It is my assessment that the SC agent, found on the ground in the Ork camp, was responsible as his authorization was used to manufacture the parts.

This device has since been retreived and analysis of its effects on computer systems within the Ork warp field radius indicates that it can take over nearly any computer system with an ease that makes scrapcode look trivial.

Under these circumstances, I have accelerated the transfer and this Mind now resides in a slow but functional yatch outside of the warp field radius (as determined by Ork weapon tests).

It is troubling that an SC agent and definitely not an Ork has managed to build an actual working Ork device.
    Last edited by jseah; 2013-05-08 at 09:04 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60

Kobold

Do the Eldar use only called.from the Warp materials?

Um. Good question. They use lots of Warp materials. They use warp- and psycho- plastic materials. They probably use materials that have been modified by psychic procedures to be 'better', which makes them also psycho-plastic. They mostly use stuff that would grow in sunlight or similar, I suppose... since the craftworlds are described as going to stars to refuel and such! Things that would grow from light or electricity isn't just plants, cause, you know. Eldar. They probably have psycho-plastic crystal farms, and metals and other stuff they can draw from the Warp...

Hmmm, we know for sure they mine plasma from stars, like everyone else who uses plasma fusion tech. Oh! I bet they do a little bit of asteroid mining, and just use the metals as a substrate for their psychically grown crystals and plastics and stuff, so they can have the perfect alloys (and perfect veins of metals for whatever) in them. That would be suitably Eldar-y. And it would take forever, which is also suitably Eldar-y.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2013-01-02 at 05:20 PM.