New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: OOTS Kickstarter Bonus PDFs: The Discussion Thread *Unmarked spoilers*

I was a bit puzzled why the guy that was being asked for money near the beginning appeared to be afraid of the two guys--I know it was plot-necessary in order for Belkar to make the mistake he did, but why did he act that way?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS Kickstarter Bonus PDFs: The Discussion Thread *Unmarked spoilers*

I assumed he did not want to pay in the first place and was more "annoyed" than actually "afraid".

If you want "afraid" in, just assume he is somewhat broke and does not want to pay the little gold he has, but he is afraid people in the town find out about his financial situation. That'd explain anything we saw?
    Last edited by Winter; 2013-02-24 at 08:49 AM.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I loved this.

But my loudest out-loud laugh didn't come until the third reading.

That was when I first noticed the sign being held up in the window during the beat after the venture capitalist/Kickstarter joke.

The first couple times, I thought it was just a moment of self-realization that they'd gone off into a surreal topic and it was time to reign themselves in. Sort of a, "WTF were we just saying?" I found it hilarious with just that. But when I noticed the sign in the window, around which that whole cell was built, I just about fell off the couch.

You're welcome, Rich. You're welcome.

m

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

The twisted denouement of "Uncivil Servant" calls to mind an actual IRL event. In 1856, tribes from Eastern Washington raided Seattle; Territorial Governor Isaac Stevens put a bounty on their heads: $20 for ordinary Indians and $80 for a "chief". Patkanim, chief of the Snohomish and allied tribes, obligingly delivered a sack of heads to the governor's office in Olympia, demanded payment, and was ready to provide more. The Territorial Auditor, suspecting that he was merely culling his slaves and in the process promoting a suspicious number of them to "chief", put a stop to the bounty system (but I don't know whether the initial bounty was in fact paid).
    Belkar is indeed an evil creature, but not unrealistic.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by oball View Post
    Should probably warn people that Oglaf in general and that strip in particular are NSFW.
    After a half & half was defined, I may have forgotten about that. Sorry!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I was a bit puzzled why the guy that was being asked for money near the beginning appeared to be afraid of the two guys--I know it was plot-necessary in order for Belkar to make the mistake he did, but why did he act that way?
    He was being hard-sell harassed at like 6:00 am in the morning, in a way that he couldn't get out of. My thinking was that he was the sort of guy who has been studiously avoiding being near the people canvassing for donations for the last few weeks, and now he's been cornered. He's doesn't have the spine to just say, "I don't want to donate to your charity thing," though, so he's flustered and nervous. "Nervous" and "afraid" look pretty much the same (which was the point).

EDIT: Oh, and "Brint" and "Shart" don't refer to anything. I just made up short names that sounded sort of brutish and harsh to further hide the twist. If "shart" has a slang meaning, I didn't know about it.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

7. - Top - End - #127

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I knew there was something off about the shakedown, I just couldn't quite put my finger on it. When the mayor reacted with disgust, I simply thought they were the overseers of the whole racket, and that's where the bounty money came from. Great twist, and I love how their dialogue reads through completely differently on a second read-through.
    well, i thought it was because wholetale slaughter and beheading of sentient humanoid beings is alot different than killing bugs.

but that wasnt it.
    Part of the "Raise Nale and Let Him Serve Life in Prison" fan-club

"The only reason why people didn't like Durkon before was because he is the only member of the group that doesn't commit evil, like hurting others, or breaking the rules for giggles. I.E.' He's not cool'"

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rewinn View Post
    The twisted denouement of "Uncivil Servant" calls to mind an actual IRL event. In 1856, tribes from Eastern Washington raided Seattle; Territorial Governor Isaac Stevens put a bounty on their heads: $20 for ordinary Indians and $80 for a "chief". Patkanim, chief of the Snohomish and allied tribes, obligingly delivered a sack of heads to the governor's office in Olympia, demanded payment, and was ready to provide more. The Territorial Auditor, suspecting that he was merely culling his slaves and in the process promoting a suspicious number of them to "chief", put a stop to the bounty system (but I don't know whether the initial bounty was in fact paid).
    Belkar is indeed an evil creature, but not unrealistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #129

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    He was being hard-sell harassed at like 6:00 am in the morning, in a way that he couldn't get out of. My thinking was that he was the sort of guy who has been studiously avoiding being near the people canvassing for donations for the last few weeks, and now he's been cornered. He's doesn't have the spine to just say, "I don't want to donate to your charity thing," though, so he's flustered and nervous. "Nervous" and "afraid" look pretty much the same (which was the point).

EDIT: Oh, and "Brint" and "Shart" don't refer to anything. I just made up short names that sounded sort of brutish and harsh to further hide the twist. If "shart" has a slang meaning, I didn't know about it.
    I woke up to some (extremely fast talking) guy trying to sell/peddle some form of donation object. I actually think he said something about it coming in the mail so it was probably a scam. I've also been harassed in the middle of the night in walmart and target parking lots by people trying to peddle perfume.

It made me feel very uncomfortable, freaked out and nervous. Especially since the first thing you wonder when a complete stranger comes right at you in the middle of a parking lot is that they are going to rob you.

So i really felt for the poor guy.
    Part of the "Raise Nale and Let Him Serve Life in Prison" fan-club

"The only reason why people didn't like Durkon before was because he is the only member of the group that doesn't commit evil, like hurting others, or breaking the rules for giggles. I.E.' He's not cool'"

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Kudos, Rich! I really enjoyed "Uncivil Servant", and having finally gotten to read it, it makes the $12.00 I paid for a pair of magnets seem almost worthwhile! (Just kidding, I really liked the Roy magnets, which have been guarding my refrigerator for months!)

A few comments: Only someone as stupid and bloodthirsty as Belkar could have both leapt to the conclusions he reached and taken the subsequent actions he took. I could see Elan, or even Roy, mistaking Brint and Shart for crooks, but they'd probably report them to the chief of police, which would have ended the mix-up fast. (Also, Roy never slays first and asks questions later, that's Belkar.) So chalk this case of mistaken identity to a combination of comical misunderstanding, bloodthirstiness and gross stupidity.

The comic did do a nice job of giving Belkar a back story without humanizing him. Belkar was a slave. That's how he knew Buggy Lou and Buggy's pals. However being a slave did not in any way shape or form humanize him, because Belkar was already a psychotic murderer beforehand. I see what you did there Rich: You got to have your cake and eat it too. Very clever!

Glad to hear your hand has been healing! Now get to work on the O-Chul and "Dim Sun" pieces! :)

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Very nice tale. Belkar is being awesome
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Hm, I actually saw the ending coming (well, that they weren't actually criminals, not that it was a volleyball game), but I still really enjoyed it. I wonder what he ended up spending his money on.

Then again, based on his conversation with the tailor, I probably don't want to know.
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2013-02-26 at 06:15 PM.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blisstake View Post
    Hm, I actually saw the ending coming (well, that they weren't actually criminals, not that it was a volleyball game), but I still really enjoyed it. I wonder what he ended up spending his money on.
    At a wild guess, either a sex taint, a cart of gophers, or some d*mn mansion whores.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Took three tries to finish downloading the story, not because of any fault of the link ut because the crappy internet here tends to blink every 10 minutes, aaarrggh!
    The story was well worth the stress though, Well Done Giant, well done!
    The half and half reference almost had me spit a soda out on my keyboard though since I did understand it even though I don't know where I have heard it before. Probably from some HBO series. Looking forward to reading the O-Chul and Therkla stories. Thank you Giant, and glad that your hand is doing better.
    "One useless man is called a disgrace, two are called a law firm and three or more become a congress."
    John Adams (lawyer, congressman, 2nd President of the USA)
    I participated!
    Typical of a non-spellcaster to think so linearly............But it's a line.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skavensrule View Post
    Took three tries to finish downloading the story, not because of any fault of the link ut because the crappy internet here tends to blink every 10 minutes, aaarrggh!
    The story was well worth the stress though, Well Done Giant, well done!
    The half and half reference almost had me spit a soda out on my keyboard though since I did understand it even though I don't know where I have heard it before. Probably from some HBO series. Looking forward to reading the O-Chul and Therkla stories. Thank you Giant, and glad that your hand is doing better.
    For O-Chul, I hope we know what happened to Hinjo's Parents or his probable life as a retainer for some nobles (his uniform is different from other azurite soldier).
    For Therkla, say hello to racist town of Azure City (Well, orcs were hated in typical D&D settings or at least least accepted race other than elves).
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

16. - Top - End - #136

War & XPs (back of the book- Tourist Guide) does say that only human-blooded (though this includes half-humans) can be granted citizenship in Azure City.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2013-02-27 at 01:43 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Was it just me or the mayor look like the dude from Monopoly?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

18. - Top - End - #138
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

I sadly missed the Kickstarter...

Is it possible somebody can still donate money to be able to see these comics ;~;

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Nope. But they'll be published in books eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

20. - Top - End - #140
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Belkar key traits have already been established as being too quick to kill people and also that he is incapable of understanding the difference between "good" and "bad" killing (which in my mind means he's more psychotic neutral then evil). A theme established in previous comics is that once Belkar is rewarded for killing an evil thing, he must immediately screw up the goodwill by killing something good.

It was obvious that Belkar had to misread the shakedown and kill good people, what was not clear was how.

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Mage View Post
    Belkar key traits have already been established as being too quick to kill people and also that he is incapable of understanding the difference between "good" and "bad" killing (which in my mind means he's more psychotic neutral then evil).
    "psychotic neutral" sounds like just another variant of Evil.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

22. - Top - End - #142

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Mage View Post
    Belkar key traits have already been established as being too quick to kill people and also that he is incapable of understanding the difference between "good" and "bad" killing (which in my mind means he's more psychotic neutral then evil). A theme established in previous comics is that once Belkar is rewarded for killing an evil thing, he must immediately screw up the goodwill by killing something good.

It was obvious that Belkar had to misread the shakedown and kill good people, what was not clear was how.
    In what possible sense of the word is killing innocents not evil?

He's evil. He's stated he's evil, the Giant has stated he's evil, his character sheet says evil, and he's repeatedly been evil for the sake of evil. He's dabbled in slavery, tried to murder teammates, murdered a random passerby for a chocolate bar, murdered the Oracle before they could ask their questions, and tortures kobolds well beyond what can be considered payback. Oh, and in this story, he proceeded to shake down the town for protection money upon realizing he killed their guards.

He's evil, not neutral. Let me repeat, EVIL. with a capital E. This isn't poor misunderstood Belkar. This is a psychotic, evil little halfling who likes to kill things for fun.
    Last edited by NerdyKris; 2013-02-28 at 06:48 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post

He's evil. He's stated he's evil, the Giant has stated he's evil, his character sheet says evil, and he's repeatedly been evil for the sake of evil. He's dabbled in slavery, tried to murder teammates, murdered a random passerby for a chocolate bar, murdered the Oracle before they could ask their questions, and tortures kobolds well beyond what can be considered payback. Oh, and in this story, he proceeded to shake down the town for protection money upon realizing he killed their guards.

He's evil, not neutral. Let me repeat, EVIL. with a capital E. This isn't poor misunderstood Belkar. This is a psychotic, evil little halfling who likes to kill things for fun.
    Agreed totally, but I have to point out, he only found the chocolate bar after looting the body of the random passerby he stabbed.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post

Not to pick nits, but Belkar is not EVIL with a capital E. He's EVIL with a capital EVIL.

Otherwise you're quite right, carry on, and so forth.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

In that little aside about insane neutrality I did mention that this seemed like neutrality to me, not the Giant, or in the OOTS world.

See Belkar was established as someone who can't tell the difference between right and wrong meets the legal definition of criminally insane. Belkar, if he really is someone who is incapable of moral reasoning fits this. Also, at least one description of Neutrality in an official D&D book included in it all "amoral" creatures, defined as those that did not reason morally.

Of course, in addition, Belkar does ENJOY killing, and is utterly selfish. But then that describes a lot of cats http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cats_actually_kill

I can't seem to find the exact comic. He is somewhere chided for killing a good guy or rewarded for killing a bad guy and expresses confusion as to the difference. I don't mean this comic http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0539.html#539

Here its debatable whether he genuinely doesn't see what the problem is.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    I can't think of anything more thrilling to read than the blow-by-blow specifics of a battle between an ancient black dragon and an apprentice baker.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Great fun! Looking forward to the others!

I believed the shakedown opening and I think starting the story with other dangerous events helped frame that belief nicely. I too thought I figured out the twist, thought I figured it out again and was still delightfully surprised at the end!

Some thoughts on the comic.

I never thought he burned down the village instead of simple extortion. Among the other reasons (like Rich's post!), his loot would have all been different as he would have to have gathered it himself post-killing. It would be more random; not just a big chest stuffed full of clean, choice loot.

The nervous guy, who did not want to donate for unknown reasons, was being asked to donate by two high-status individuals. In public. That seems like it would cause stress in almost any society.

Anarion's post noting strip 58 was awesome.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Leorik View Post
    ...The comic did do a nice job of giving Belkar a back story without humanizing him. Belkar was a slave. That's how he knew Buggy Lou and Buggy's pals...
    I don't think this story really sets that up. Comic 685 establishes that Belkar was friends with one of the suppliers Buggy Lou bought slaves from. It wouldn't make sense for Belkar to be friends with people who were buying and selling him. Plus, in the story Belkar implies that he killed the slavers. The story does establish that Belkar wouldn't have had any qualms about associating with slavers even after being a slave himself, but I don't see Belkar's slavery as having anything to do with Buggy Lou.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    I found it more sad than funny for the greater part, but still nice. Couldn't expect anything else from a belkar without roy to control him.

By the way, at page 4 of the pdf file, there are a couple of boots of eldricht supremacy with something written on them. It really looks like a code, and I expect it to contain some random joke like the one when V accepted the soul splice. I don't want to take the effort of translating it, but I'd really appreciate if someone with more passion for eciphering codes did.
    On it, they do seem to be genuine characters, not just your average gobbledegook, and they differ from boot to boot

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by Conte_Vincero View Post
    On it, they do seem to be genuine characters, not just your average gobbledegook, and they differ from boot to boot
    It's a special font.

Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club