New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIX: "Understand the gravity of the situation."

Since Cheesegear did up a handy guide, I might as well throw up a Codex Marines list for review (since no-one wanted to comment on my thousand sons lists a while back).

Rapid Response;

Spoiler
    Show

HQ:
    Tigurius, 165

Troops:
    9 Tacticals, Drop Pod, Melta Gun, Combi Melta, Melta Bombs, 186

10 Tacticals, Drop Pod, Flamer, Combi Flamer, Melta Bombs, 195

10 Tacticals, Drop Pod, Plasma Gun, Plasma Cannon, 205

10 Scouts, Camo Cloaks, Sniper Rifles, 140

Elites:
    Ironclad Dreadnought, Drop Pod, Heavy Flamer, 180

Ironclad Dreadnought, Drop Pod, Heavy Flamer, 180

Fast Attack:
    Stormtalon, Skyhammer Missiles, 125

Stormtalon, Skyhammer Missiles, 125

Total:1501

3 pods 1st turn, both dreads and either the flamer tacs or the melta tacs based on what needs killing. Plasma squad to come down on/near an objective and camp, other squad as required. Scouts camp behind cover and annoy something/someone as opportunity presents itself if no other scouts/infiltrators are around.

Stormtalons cover AA, though I've pondered switching one out for a pair of speeders (mainly 'cause I like speeders), but doubt a single stormtalon will be enough AA.

Have also toyed with the idea of locator beacons on the pods and a squad of terminators instead of the stormtalons, but that leaves me with no AA.

Will get ruined by Tau with their disgusting amount of Interceptor, and I'm not sure what to do about Serpent spam, but who doesn't suffer against those 2 these days?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Drasius; 2013-11-15 at 04:46 PM.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIX: "Understand the gravity of the situation."

My first thought is that you should drop the ironclad dreads for a pair of thunderfire cannons, which gives you 160 more points to play with as well.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Cheesegear's Totally Incomplete Guide to Tyranids
    The Great Devourer

Had a couple of people over the last few days ask me about Tyranids just to get some use out of the models that they're currently buying in light of the new Codex coming out. I've seen the same questions here so I'd post this quickly.

Hive Tyrant:
    Twin-Linked Devourers; So good. Unfortunately, the Tyrant kit doesn't come with any. Good job.
    Hive Commander / Indescribable Horror / Old Adversary; Pick up Hive Commander if you're running a second Tyrant.
    Armoured Shell & Regeneration / Wings; They end up costing the same with equal amounts of goodness. Regeneration stacks with IWND if you manage to roll that Power on the Biomancy table.

The Swarmlord: He's expensive, and packs a weird combination of Hive Commander and Old Adversary at the same time. He functions well as a 'second Tyrant', he should never be fielded as a 'solo Tyrant'.

Tyrant Guard: If you've gone the Shell/Regeneration route, these guys function pretty well as extra Wounds. But they are expensive.

Tyranid Prime: Good if you're taking a single unit of Warriors. Otherwise pass.

The Parasite of Mortrex: Goes inside units of Gargoyles.

Hive Guard: Pseudo-Ignores Cover. Point is, they ignore Jink and have a bunch of shots with Preferred Enemy (Hive Tyrant, remember?), which means they function as even more Flier Defense.

Lictor, Deathleaper, Venomthrope

Zoanthrope Brood: Spam Telepathy like all get-out. Ignore your book-powers. They suck. If you field a lot of Monstrous Creatures (like, more than 5), consider stacking Biomancy.

Doom of Malan'tai: I don't know where you can get Mycetic Spores from, but, if you can make a Spore, then you're bringing the Doom.

Pyrovore Brood: ****

Ymgarl Genestealers: Pretty good. Only real reason to field these is because buying as many Hive Guard or Zoanthropes that you need will literally set your wallet on fire.

Tyranid Warriors: Put them in a Spore, give them Boneswords and Toxin Sacs, and run them at the biggest thing you can find. They will drop a Monstrous Creature in one round. If you took nine of them like a smart person, get a multi-charge off and be amazing. Shadow in the Warp will totally screw with Divination-users like Daemons and Eldar.

Genestealers, Hormagaunts, Rippers

Termagant Brood: You only need 10...

Tervigon: ...Because this guy makes even more of them. In the end, on average you'll need 17 Termgants for each Tervigon, plus the original 10 to make them Troops. Which makes 27 Termagants per Tervigon you plan on fielding. Then, to hedge your bets, you'll want to bring about 40 per Tervigon. Two Tervigons make 80 Termagants, plus a few more just in case you roll really hot. Make it an even hundred Termagants, because if you're playing Tyranids, you can afford it, right?

Tyranid Shrikes, Raveners, Sky-Slasher Swarm, Harpy

Gargoyles: Coupled with their flight stands and stupidly huge wings, they'll give a Cover Save to any Monstrous Creature you want to put on the board. And that's not even including that they are actually really good on the offensive, too! 20+

Spore Mine Clusters: Useful for Infiltration denial and ruining Scout moves, because Genestealers are way too expensive for that noise.

Carnifex Brood, Old One Eye

Biovore Brood: Pew, pew! Large Blast, Barrage will force one Character model to make 10 Look Out, Sir! rolls. Because Barrage is good for Character sniping. Even when Biovores miss, they don't.

Trygon Trygon Prime: Good for thinning out hordes. Interceptor makes this guy a complete waste of 240+ Points.

Mawloc: Good for giving your TO headaches. What happens when a Mawloc hits a Building or Emplaced Weapon (i.e; Bastion or Quad-Gun)? ...Pretty sure it gets instantly destroyed. But seriously, they hit like a truck. If it doesn't get to do anything, it's because your opponent shot at the Mawloc instead of shooting the Hive Tyrant(s) and Tervigons, and that's also doing it's job.

Tyrannofex: How else do you beat Land Raiders? Rupture Cannon & Regeneration brings it to nearly 300 Points. Hot damn it'd better be worth it!
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2013-11-15 at 10:27 PM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

4. - Top - End - #484
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Thunderfire Cannon:
    ...remember that using the Barrage rule is optional, so if you just want to plant 4 Markers in one spot, that's fine too, if slightly less effective against hordes.
    Do you have a source on this? I can't find anything in my rulebook that implies this, and I can't see it in the FAQ either..?

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    Do you have a source on this? I can't find anything in my rulebook that implies this, and I can't see it in the FAQ either..?
    Hmm...You appear to be right. When discussing this with my opponents, I think the person who said it thought that the first bullet point 'Barrage weapons can fire indirectly...' meant that Barrage was totally optional. Ah well. Glad to see that that's wrong. So, fixed.

Still, I've never not used Barrage on a Thuderfire Cannon because Character sniping with Ignores Cover has been really good, so I haven't cheated in any of my games.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2013-11-15 at 11:41 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

6. - Top - End - #486
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hmm...You appear to be right. When discussing this with my opponents, I think the person who said it thought that the first bullet point 'Barrage weapons can fire indirectly...' meant that Barrage was totally optional.
    And that person was right. When a barrage weapon cannot fire indirectly it specifically says so in the unit entry; see the difference between Basilisks and Colossi in the Guard codex.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

7. - Top - End - #487
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    And that person was right. When a barrage weapon cannot fire indirectly it specifically says so in the unit entry; see the difference between Basilisks and Colossi in the Guard codex.
    Old rules, friend. Old rules. Ordnance Barrage weapons used to have the choice to fire directly or indirectly at their own discretion, a rule which made Basilisks a pretty decent artillery platform. That choice was, by design or oversight, removed from the wording of the new Barrage rules, which means that Barrage weapons of all sorts, including ones that used to have a choice, must be fired indirectly unless they have a separate non-Barrage weapon profile. Including the Basilisk, which originally had to pay point to be able to fire indirectly at all.

It was a stealth nerf to Ordnance Barrage, and one that's seen my Basilisk firmly in its case ever since I noticed the change.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

8. - Top - End - #488

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    Old rules, friend. Old rules. Ordnance Barrage weapons used to have the choice to fire directly or indirectly at their own discretion, a rule which made Basilisks a pretty decent artillery platform. That choice was, by design or oversight, removed from the wording of the new Barrage rules, which means that Barrage weapons of all sorts, including ones that used to have a choice, must be fired indirectly unless they have a separate non-Barrage weapon profile. Including the Basilisk, which originally had to pay point to be able to fire indirectly at all.

It was a stealth nerf to Ordnance Barrage, and one that's seen my Basilisk firmly in its case ever since I noticed the change.
    The rule says "can," not "must."
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

9. - Top - End - #489
    Troll in the Playground

I'm curious as to people's opinion of the Maulerfiend. I'm quite fond of the thing as I've gotten good results from a default one punching tanks to pieces, but I'd like to hear what other chaos players, and people who play against chaos, think of it.

For those unfamiliar with it:

It has the armour of a dreadnought.
    Moves like a beast.
    Ignores terrain.
    Hits like a Carnifex.
    Saves like a daemon.
    Costs about as much as a dreadnought to field.

I know that it compares poorly to land raiders and forgefiends and the like when competing for heavy support slots, but I still find a place for it in my rampaging horde of madmen chaos marines.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    That's not the issue. The issue was not 'Can I fire indirectly?', but, 'Can I place my Marker anywhere I want, or do I have to use the Multiple Barrage rule?'

The only optional part of Barrage is firing indirectly. All other parts of the Barrage rule must be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    I'm curious as to people's opinion of the Maulerfiend.
    As someone who uses two of them, I think they're quite good. It has problems being AV12, but IWND often fixes that. They're not for everyone. They aren't bad, but you do have to know what you're doing with them.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2013-11-16 at 08:05 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Guide to Adepta Sororitas
    The Sisterhood at War

Since this is an online-only Codex (for now) and you - the consumer - can't preview it, this Disclaimer needs to written; Unless you are a fanatical foam-at-the-mouth Sisters fan, or you have a serious Screamer/Jet Council infestation in your meta-game, don't buy this Codex. It's fairly awful. The artwork and fluff do not justify this purchase. Read below and prepare to be underwhelmed...

Special Rules
    Spoiler
    Show
    Act of Faith: Every unit in your army gets a neat special ability that it can use once per game. Kind of like Ultramarines Doctrines, but, more flexible since each unit can use their own at different times over the game. Pretty neat. Well...Except that if you fail your Leadership test to use it, then your ability is just gone.

Shield of Faith: Every unit in your army has a 6+ Invulnerable and Adamantium Will. It wont win you the game. But it is handy. Now, if only Black Templars weren't Desperate Allies, you could actually do something fun!

Matyrdom: When your Warlord dies, all models with Acts of Faith automatically pass all Leadership checks until the end of your next turn. So, if possible, try and get your Warlord killed on your turn...But, then you have to kill off your Warlord...

Warlord Traits
    1. Nobody gives a flying **** about Fear.
    2. Your Warlord and unit increase their Invulnerable to 5++.
    3. Your Warlord can re-roll Deny the Witch. Not bad. If anybody uses anything except Biomancy and Divination buffs.
    4. Yay. Sisters like Assault, right?
    5. All models in a radius can use your Warlord's Ld for Acts of Faith. Good.
    6. Your Warlord is a Banner that gives Stubborn.

...Sisters Warlord Traits kind of suck. Only one of them is especially good, and some of them (i.e; Fear) are just outright bad. Never roll on this table.

HQ
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saint Celestine: She has the best Warlord Trait in the book (use her Leadership for Acts of Faith), she gives her unit Fearless and Hit & Run, and she has 2+/4++. Not bad. Especially when she has five attacks base! This is more than a Space Marine Chapter Master! ...Although, when you think about it, it's probably to make up for the fact that she doesn't have two weapons.
    Speaking of weapons; She has a S5, AP3 Master-Crafted weapon which can fire as a Heavy Flamer because Vulkan He'Stan isn't the only person in the Imperium who likes fire!
    But, that's not all! Her Act of Faith lets her come back to life with full Wounds! Which is kind of cool. But, remember, it's still an Act of Faith which can only be used once, and if you fail your Leadership check you just lose it forever. Still, her guarenteed Warlord Trait is more than enough reason to take her, all for under 150 Points.

Uriah Jacobus: He's still a Priest and gives you re-rolls to your Saving Throws is kind of good, which makes the fact that you're guaranteed the bonus Invulnerable Warlord Trait actually useful. Still, you're not taking him to be your Warlord. Because you're taking him because he gives the unit he's in a second use of their Act of Faith, and, automatically passes their Leadership check when doing so! Again, he's still a Priest, and so every other turn he can gain Smash for an at-Initiative (4) AP2 attack. It's a shame he left his Eviscerator at home.
    ...That's not all. He carries his Banner which makes everyone near him Fearless and gives them Counter-Attack, too. Because apparently a Fearless aura for 100 Points isn't good enough?
    ...What's that? You can take Celestine and Jacobus for less than a Land Raider? Sure. Yes. Do it.

Cannoness: Decidedly average statline for an HQ character (I4), if she passes her Act of Faith, her unit gets Hatred for a turn. Because everyone knows Sisters are all about Assault. Always take a Rosarius, the Cannoness is 80 Points base, always.
    Book of St. Lucius; If you care about Fear, you're doing it wrong.
    Litanies of Faith; Being that Acts of Faith simply go away when you fail your Leadership check, how about you don't fail your Leadership check in the first place? One way to automatically get the Warlord Trait is just to pay points for it? Really GW? What happens if you randomly roll the Warlord Trait? ...Sighface.
    Cloak of St. Aspira; Yes please.
    Mantle of Ophelia; Unless you're trying to trigger Matyrdom (that's dumb, don't do it), always take.

Where GW catastrophically failed on the Warlord Table, they made up for it in the Relics. Unfortunately, taking all the good stuff means you cost even more than Celestine, and she's better! Maybe if your Cannoness could take a Jump Pack she'd be worth all those points. But, she can't. So, the only good reason to be spending all those points is to gain access to a Command Squad.

Ministorum Priest: Primary Detachment only. Sad face. But, you can take up to five of them, and they can make their own 'Act of Faith' every turn;
    Your unit re-rolls Saving Throws, your unit re-rolls To Wound or, for some reason your Priest gains Smash which is kind of awesome. In any case, re-rolling To Wound is great and you should be using it every turn.
    Plasma Gun; If you stick five of them together, you'll have a scary Plasma unit which Sisters can't get.
    Eviscerator; Have fun with Smash. Unless your meta is full of Daemons (which it might be!).
    Mace of Valaan; Relic. It's a Power Maul that gets better when it's around Daemons. Nope. You don't even have to be attacking a Daemon. You just have to be near one, then kill everything not a Daemon and save the Daemon for last.

Ecclesiarchy Command Squad: You get one for each Priest (including Jacobus). Which is fine because the Priest doesn't even need to go with this unit, and the Priests would rather be using their re-roll Saving Throws buff of models with Power Armour.
    In any case, if you were serious about taking one of these squads; This is why Sororitas Command Squad sucks at Assault. The only problem is that every model is locked into having a Power Sword. Which totally sucks for 5th Ed. players who modelled their Crusaders with Axes and gave their Death Cult Assassins a Power Sword and Axe. ...Seriously. What is the point in having two Power Swords? Way to fail, GW.
    Anyway, I hope you like Arco-Flagellants, because spamming Immolators is great!

Sororitas Command Squad: This unit's Act of Faith gives Fleet, Crusader and Move Through Cover. Because everyone knows that Sisters are actually secretly Black Templars. This unit would be fine, if Sisters had access to Land Raiders to Open-Topped vehicles, which they don't. So their Act of Faith is actually crap, and it's only used for shooting, of which you can pack in four special weapons because you're always bringing a Dialogous - if you haven't got them on your Canoness, give Litanies of Faith to this model. Ignore the Simulacrum Imperialis. This unit probably wont get to use it's AoF twice even if it wanted to. Just use it for shooting. You can take up to four of...
    Condemnor Boltguns; Screamer Councils, Jet Councils, Grey Knights, Horrors, etc. The extremely poor wording on this weapon makes it amazing at blowing away units with Psykers in them.
    x3 Meltaguns & Heavy Flamer; If you're serious about getting up close and personal with your AoF, this loadout does alright. Of course, you can also have just four Heavy Flamers if you really wanted to, but, that's kind of overkill.
    Combi-Plasmas; How else are you doing it?
    Heavy Bolters / Multi-Meltas; If you don't want to field Retributors because you'd rather field three Exorcists, then here's an alternative.
    x4 Power Axes; What else are you going to do with that Act of Faith? Bring a bunch of Melta Bombs, too. Just 'cause.
    Special weapons are better done with Dominions who can Ignore Cover.

Troops & Dedicated Transports
    Spoiler
    Show
    Battle Sisters: Arguably one of the best Troops units in the entire 40K game. The only problem with them is that they come out of this book, instead of a good Codex. Power Armour and Boltguns? Check. Cheap? Also check. Their Act of Faith gives them Preferred Enemy for one phase. It's actually quite good. Make sure to bring a Simulacrum because Preferred Enemy really is that good when you have a horde of Sisters. Double Meltaguns, Flamer & Heavy Flamer, Storm Bolter and Heavy Bolter, do what you want. As long as it makes sense. Make sure to pack Combi-Plasmas on your Superiors because you can't get normal Plasma Guns anywhere except on Priests.

Sororitas Rhino: It's a Rhino. With a few extra points tacked on to give it a 6++ and Adamantium Will just in case you've got Blood Angels throwing around Blood Lance. With only two Fire Points, it's probably best just using them for Battle Sisters and every other Transport being a...

Immolator: Immolators are your friend. Bring as many as you can because they're just that amazing. Always pick up the Twin-Linked Multi-Melta. Just do it. Besides, the more Multi-Meltas you have, the more Flier Defence you have.

Laud Hailers; Don't forget to give a few vehicles in your army some of these, just to make sure that your Act of Fath gimmick actually works. Doesn't it suck when your army's gimmick doesn't even work? I'm looking at you, Raven Guard.

Elites
    Spoiler
    Show
    Celestians: You get Furious Charge for some reason! They're Battle Sisters with an extra attack that don't Score. Garbage. Do Sisters have Assault Vehicles? If the answer is no, then don't try to Assault.

Sisters Repentia: Great models. Horrible rules. Do not use.

...You know what? Sisters don't have an Elites section. You know what else? Nobody cares. That just means more points to spend on Fast and Heavy slots that can actually Score on some Missions. Or, for the cynic, having no Elites frees up more points for Allies.

Fast Attack
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seraphim: The one unit that can actually make it to Assault...Gains Shred in the Shooting Phase, not in the Assault Phase. I swear, this Codex is a bad joke. On the other hand, this is the only squad that you can really put Saint Celestine in. Giving Celestine's Heavy Flamer Shred isn't that bad of an idea, considering how bad Sisters are at Assault, any softening you can do before you get there can only help.

Dominions: Scouting Immolators? Yes please. Your Act of Faith is Ignores Cover? Why are you not immediately loading your Fast slots with as many of these as possible? Almost as good as Legion of the Damned. Always bring a Simulacrum. Remember that your Superior doesn't necessarily need to take a Combi-Melta. A Condemnor Boltgun with Ignores Cover is really good.

Heavy Support
    Spoiler
    Show
    Exorcist: AV13. BS4. Shoots Missiles? I know it's random. But the fact is you need it despite it's randomness. Because you don't have any other long range abilities. Always bring an extra Storm Bolter, just so a single Weapon Destroyed has a 50% chance of bricking your Tank, instead of 100% chance.

Penitent Engine: An Open-Topped Walker? ...This had better be just as amazing as an Eldar War Walker...Nope.

Retributors: Good for thinning hordes. Unfortunately, you can only use your Rending ability once. Which is really crap. Which means the only time you should use your Act of Faith is when you're shooting at an AV12 Flier, because there isn't much else Sisters can do about Fliers.

Allies
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sisters. Need. Allies.

Blood Angels: Blood Angels are only good Allies when they can be Battle Brothers.

Dark Angels: Black Knights and Ravenwing Command Squads can bring reliable AP2 that Sisters just don't have. Not to mention Power Fields. While your Librarian can't join a Sisters squad, he can still stand 1" away...Or even inside the unit for a sneaky IC. Have a Priest nearby using his Re-roll Invulnerable saves and you're golden.

Grey Knights: Always not-a-bad choice.

Imperial Guard: Good Flier Defense. Good Scoring units (Chimeras). And then insert any tank you want that you think you need, determined by your meta. Probably a Manticore or two.

Space Marines: All types are basically bringing the same thing; Drop Pods and Bikes. It just depends on what's in the Drop Pods;
    - Ultramarines; Boltguns. Pass. Just use your own units.
    - Imperial Fists; Pedro and Sternguard. Decent.
    - Salamanders; Reliable Melta in your opponents' back line that you have no way of achieving.
    - White Scars; Don't you already have Scouting Dominions?

Space Wolves: Rune Priests. /end.

Even though Tau and Eldar are Desperate Allies, those Codecies are just so good that they can work even when they don't Score.

Tau: You lose the point of spamming Kroot, but you gain Interceptor and Skyfire units that your Codex just does not have.

Eldar: Just 'cause you don't Score doesn't mean that Guardians and Jetbikes don't stop Bladestorming for that valuable AP2. Also Wraithknight.

ForgeWorld
    TBA
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2013-11-17 at 07:15 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Am I wrong in thinking GW really just wants Sisters to die and go away? Because that's kinda the feeling I'm getting to be honest.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by mistformsquirrl View Post
    Am I wrong in thinking GW really just wants Sisters to die and go away?
    I think that they're popular enough to stay.
    But not popular enough to actually give a crap about.

Their Codex isn't actually all that bad. It's just that their Codex goes from amazingly good to horrendously awful with no middle ground (lots of blue, lots of red, not enough Black or Orange), and that means that Sisters are in a mono-build (spam Immolators). What makes it worse is that Sisters don't have any differing models. Which means, in reality, you have 6 or 7 models that just get repeated over and over again, which is made worse when you take Special/Heavy weapon models because all of those are going to look the same.

Of course, serious tournament players aren't going to care. They're going to spend the money just to get a unit that can take 5 Condemnor Boltguns for Allies.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2013-11-17 at 07:52 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

14. - Top - End - #494
    Banned

Master of the Forge: His only real use is to spam Ironclad Dreadnoughts.
    Conversion Beamer & Bike; Not only are you dropping your extra attacks for a Conversion Beamer that you don't need, but you're now really expensive for a model that is basically just a tax.

Vindicator: A good choice if a Thunderfire Cannon isn't required in your meta.
    Despite all this, I still love this list:

Spoiler
    Show
    Iron hands:
    MotF with CB = 110
    Scouts = 55
    Scouts = 55
    Vindicator = 125
    Vindicator = 125
    Vindicator = 125

Ultramarines:
    MotF with CB = 110
    Tactical squad = 70
    Vindicator = 125

ADL with quad-gun = 100

=1000

Because there is no such thing as "Too much S10 AP1 large blast."

(Of course, someone is now going to explain to me in words of one syllable (probably including "Troops" - unfortunately, "Cover" is two syllables) why this is a bad idea, but it's funny at least.)

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm curious, does anyone here play The Horus Heresy?

I'm wondering if I should use Contemptor Dreadnoughts (or normal Dreadnoughts) with lascannons or ACs for anti-tank? The other option is Rapier Weapon Batteries with Laser Destroyers.

The army is largely thinks I thought seemed interesting and is built around a siege-breaker type concept. Phosphex shell Medusas, Breacher Marines and a Siegebreaker Consul. It's lacking long range anti-tank though, melta-guns will only get you so far. Hence why I'm asking for advice.
    Last edited by Penguinizer; 2013-11-17 at 09:40 AM.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Techmarine: No. If they were Independent Characters...Well...Still no.
    Minor nitpick, but Techmarines are indeed Independent Characters according to my 'dex.

Good guide, though. I'll have to read through it again when I'm more awake, but my main takeaway so far is that I really do need to find the money for some thunderfires as soon as possible...

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Adrastos42 View Post
    Minor nitpick, but Techmarines are indeed Independent Characters according to my 'dex.
    Indeed they are. I think I was comparing them to Techmarine Gunners in my head. Having a Thunderfire Cannon gives Bolster Defenses, too, so what are you taking a Techmarine for when for 25 Points you can have a Thunderfire Cannon to go with him?

I also moved the Land Raider Redeemer to red.

Also, it occurs that I've written three Guides now and have left out some qualifiers;

Excellent: Auto-include. Best-in-slot. However you want to call it, these units are the best units in your Codex, or, they fulfil a role in your Codex that no other unit can do and that means that you really, really need it. So, if you don't have one of these units in your army, you really need to consider why not.
    Good/Okay: These units aren't must-haves. But, they certainly aren't going to lose you the game just because you took them instead of something else. In most cases, these kinds of units become Excellent when you field three (or more) of them.
    Caution: These units aren't necessarily bad, but, they usually come with caveats. Such as being entirely dependent on what kind of army your opponent has, will determine their effectiveness. Or, maybe you can only include one of these units if you also include another unit. In any case, point is, these types of units are unlikely to be useful every game or in every type of army list, but, when they are useful - or when you've built your list around them - they typically perform well in their designed role.
    Bad: Awful. Unusable. You've wasted your money. These units are utterly terrible. There's another unit in your Codex that is cheaper and better, or, this unit can't even fulfil the role it's designed for. Anyway, I'm sure you're a human being with working pattern recognition; Red = Bad.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2013-11-18 at 01:46 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The Tyranid rundown seems a bit silly considering we're expecting a release in the next month or two, haha.

Anyone looked at the Codex: Inquisition yet?

19. - Top - End - #499
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cheesegear, don't forget to include your new guides in the first post of this thread.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    The Tyranid rundown seems a bit silly considering we're expecting a release in the next month or two, haha.

Had a couple of people over the last few days ask me about Tyranids just to get some use out of the models that they're currently buying in light of the new Codex coming out. I've seen the same questions here so I'd post this quickly.
    That's why it also has no explanations for why things are bad and why it's 'totally incomplete'.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, the guides are always greatly enjoyable to read though :)

Though i could have sworn, wasnt there someone else who also made a guide to the new Eldar codex?
    It certainly would be nice to have both on the main page.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

22. - Top - End - #502
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post

Anyone looked at the Codex: Inquisition yet?
    Yes.

Have you ever looked at your Space Marine army and thought "This is really good and all, but I sure do wish I could have Coteaz and Valkyries"? Or your Imperial Guard army and thought "Man, access to Divination powers would be really nice, and I want to take some Valkyries with Multiple Rocket Pods to bust hordes on the cheap but I've already filled up all my Fast Attack slots and none of my Battle Brothers have Divination..."? Or your Grey Knight army and thought "Man, if only I could take two of Coteaz..."?

Congratulations, because now you can! Take whatever army list you were using before, subtract 250 points from it and add Coteaz and a Henchmen squad in a Valkyrie and you're done. Or, subtract more points for more Henchmen in Valkyries, if that floats your boat. Protip: Grey Knights can take a Coteaz from their book and a Coteaz from the Inquisition book, since there's no wording that you can't. Woo!

23. - Top - End - #503

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Feel free to tell me where I went wrong.
    I was looking over the Tau guide now that I've played a few games and had a chance to really learn the game, and for the most part I agree, but feel your assessment of sniper drones is very unkind! The drones are fine snipers for their price.

Firepower:
    9 sniper drones firing at range 48" will score approx 7 hits
    20 kroot at range 48" will score no hits at all, because they lack the range.
    -
    9 sniper drones firing at BS 5 at 24" will score approx 15 hits (rapid fire)
    20 kroot firing at BS 3 at 24" will score approx 10 hits

As you can see, paying an extra 34 points (a 24% increase in price) gets you highly reliable markerlights, the ability to engage at a longer range, +50% hits at the same range, and a substantial upgrade in durability. (Of course, you could spend points on pathfinders to upgrade the kroot's accuracy, but then you're

Of course, the downside is that you move from a Troop slot to a Heavy Support slot, lose Outflanking, and you create a hybrid unit that's got sniping *and* lights, which can be problematic if you'd like to mark a different target than the one you want to snipe, or if you'd like to move ('Lights are heavy, so the firesights don't get to fire while wandering around even if our little jetpack drones do.) So it's not that sniper drones are forever better all the time, but they're definitely not a model tax.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

24. - Top - End - #504
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    ('Lights are heavy, so the firesights don't get to fire while wandering around even if our little jetpack drones do.)
    Well, they can fire (They're not that heavy. :p)

25. - Top - End - #505
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    Yes.

Have you ever looked at your Space Marine army and thought "This is really good and all, but I sure do wish I could have Coteaz and Valkyries"? Or your Imperial Guard army and thought "Man, access to Divination powers would be really nice, and I want to take some Valkyries with Multiple Rocket Pods to bust hordes on the cheap but I've already filled up all my Fast Attack slots and none of my Battle Brothers have Divination..."? Or your Grey Knight army and thought "Man, if only I could take two of Coteaz..."?

Congratulations, because now you can! Take whatever army list you were using before, subtract 250 points from it and add Coteaz and a Henchmen squad in a Valkyrie and you're done. Or, subtract more points for more Henchmen in Valkyries, if that floats your boat. Protip: Grey Knights can take a Coteaz from their book and a Coteaz from the Inquisition book, since there's no wording that you can't. Woo!
    Hmm, this might be useful from an allies perspective if it lets you take inquisition units as part of other detachments. Is it main detachment only or can allied detachments take units from it?

26. - Top - End - #506

Griffon

Hmm, this might be useful from an allies perspective if it lets you take inquisition units as part of other detachments. Is it main detachment only or can allied detachments take units from it?
    Inquisition can be Primary, Secondary or Tertiary Detachment. Most of the units are all but identical to the Grey Knights codex, with the exception that - provided you take an Inquisitor as HQ - you can take an Inquisition force even if you already have other Allies.

Or so I understand. I intend to get the 'book' proper tomorrow, but this is the big thing that has been spoiled to me.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

27. - Top - End - #507
    Troll in the Playground

It's functionally a separate system from the usual Allies detachments. Every army can take a Primary Detachment, an Allied Detachment and an Inquisitorial Detachment, and if you take all three the Inquisitorial Detachment treats both the Primary and Allied Detachments differently based on its allies matrix. So, if you've got Space Marines with Allied Guard, both treat your Inquisitorial units as Battle Brothers. If you've got Guard with Tau, the Guard are Battle Brothers with the Inquisitorial stuff and the Tau are Desperate Allies. Their FOC is also a bit wonky, being 1-2 Inquisitors and 0-3 Henchmen Warbands. Amusingly, if you have Coteaz as one of the Inquisitors the Henchmen Score, even if you're Desperate Allies.

Otherwise, it's basically the Grey Knights stuff only Battle Brothers with every Imperial faction and slightly better thanks to more options. Most notably is that Henchmen Warbands have access to Ministorum Priests, so if you're building them into an Assault unit they've got all the best stuff from Grey Knights and Adeptus Sororitas.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Reading through Codex: Inquisition right now. I'm hoping somebody in my group will have Clan Raukaan by the weekend. I'll have Warzone: Pandorax tomorrow, too - if anyone cares about that.

EDIT: All the Guides are done, except Imperial Guard. But, rumour is that it's going to be the next Codex after Tyranids. So...Yeah. In other news, the Imperial Guard Guide would be about as easy to do as the Tyranid one I did earlier because there isn't much to say about the Guard Codex either.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2013-11-19 at 04:59 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

29. - Top - End - #509
    Troll in the Playground

I'm trying to work out if Inquisition forces could be used in the same army as chaos marines by using the allies matrix carefully.

Since I don't have access to the Inquistion codex could people clarify something for me?

Would a chaos primary force with allied guard be able to take Inquisition stuff?

Would an Imperial Guard primary force with allied chaos be able to take Inquistion stuff?

I suspect only the latter is correct, but I think it could be useful for counts as stuff for Mechanicus/Dark Mechanicus themed forces.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Troll in the Playground

I'm trying to work out if Inquisition forces could be used in the same army as chaos marines by using the allies matrix carefully.

Since I don't have access to the Inquistion codex could people clarify something for me?

Would a chaos primary force with allied guard be able to take Inquisition stuff?

Would an Imperial Guard primary force with allied chaos be able to take Inquistion stuff?

I suspect only the latter is correct, but I think it could be useful for counts as stuff for Mechanicus/Dark Mechanicus themed forces.
    No in both counts. As long as either the Primary or Allied detachment is Come the Apocalypse with the Inquisition you cannot take an Inquisitorial Detachment, no matter how you structure your army.

Unless you're an Imperial faction, Necrons or Eldar (or possibly Tau with Imperial Allies and are willing to divide up your forces to keep the Inquisition stuff away from the Tau stuff since they're Desperate Allies), you do not get to use this book.