New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

View Poll Results: Enter these creatures in the MiTP2?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mint Ooze: Yes!

23 85.19%
  • Mint Ooze: No!

5 18.52%
  • Cherry Ooze: Yes!

24 88.89%
  • Cherry Ooze: No!

2 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [MiTP] Candy Oozes

CANDY OOZE
    Similar to standard oozes, a candy is a very small ooze that rarely presents any danger to the typical adventurer. Possessing all of the standard ooze traits, some candy oozes also exhibit an unusual wit for their breeds, although they remain largely mindless.
    A candy ooze very rarely attack adventurers. They much rather find food that doesn’t have the tendency of fighting back.
    Blindsight (Ex): An candy ooze’s entire body is a primitive sensory organ that can ascertain threats or food by scent and vibration within 30 feet.

MINT CANDY
    At first you think you see a small mint drop, but when the tiny creature quivers and begins to expel a pseudopod in your direction, you realize this is an exceptionally small ooze. The creature is roughly ovoid in shape, a translucent green in color, and it gives off a pleasant mint scent.

Favored for their cheerful demeanor and delightful smell, mint oozes make excellent pets, though training can be exceedingly difficult. Mints eat trash, converting unwanted non-organic garbage into a delightful aroma.
    Mint candies feed on stones, metals, and other non-organic detritus. This sometimes causes underground dwelling humanoids to consider them pests, since mint candies will often form tiny tunnels in stone or metal walls and doors. Dwarves in particular loath the creatures for their tendency to ruin good veins of minerals.

COMBAT
    A mint candy dislikes to fight, and will scamper away surprisingly quickly if attacked. They only move slowly when eating, allowing their acid to slowly dissolve rocks and metals and absorbing the minerals.
    Acid (Ex): A mint candy’s acid ignores hardness and bypasses damage reduction as if it were adamantine. A mint candy’s acid has no effect on organic tissue, it only effects objects and creatures made of metal or stone. A mint candy can suppress its acid if it desires. Typically this will only occur with tamed mint candies taught to do so.

CHERRY CANDY
    The ooze before you is slightly smaller then a cat, yet seems largely disinterested in your approach. It moves surprisingly fast for an ooze, quickly scurrying around the dungeon detritus for organic edibles. Roughly ovoid in shape, it possesses a deep translucent red coloration and gives off a sharp, yet very pleasant, scent of cherry blossoms.

Harmless to all but the dead, a cherry candy exists as a perpetual cleaning machine, moving over any organic material left on dungeon floors and walls. A cherry candy is harmless unless attacked, and even then rarely stick around for a fight.
    Unlike most oozes, a cherry candy is semi-intelligent, and tamed cherry candies exhibit all the personality and guile of a cat. They quite enjoy being petted, and can form close companionships.

COMBAT
    A cherry candy will always retreat from battle. They’re surprisingly tough, sometimes able to ignore multiple blows before finally escaping.
    Acid (Ex): A cherry candy’s acid bypasses hardness and damage reduction as if it were adamantine. A cherry candy's acid does not affect inorganic materials, such as rock or metal, although it will dissolve formerly organic materials such as bone or petrified wood. A cherry candy can cause its acid to become inert, dealing no damage to organic creatures.
    Mindless: Despite having an Intelligence score, a cherry candy’s mental faculties are so primitive that it lacks many of the higher brain functions of other creatures. It retains all of the benefits of the Mindless trait, as if it had no Intelligence score.

TAMING CANDY OOZES
    Unlike normal oozes, a mint or cherry candy can be ‘tamed’ and trained as pets with an appropriate Handle Animal check. Despite a lack of intelligence, a mint candy can form associations when trained. They can learn to associate a certain creature as their ‘master’, and come to depend on that master for food and other pleasures, such as petting. A cherry candy is easier to train then its mindless cousin, and such candies possess distinct personalities.
    To tame a candy ooze requires a DC 25 Handle Animal check. This accounts for both their unusual nature and their lack of intelligence. A tamed candy ooze can be taught a single trick, at the normal DC +8, with the following exception: a candy ooze can never be trained the Attack or Defend tricks. It can be taught to Guard, but it will not engage an opponent that approaches the place it is guarding.
    If a character possesses the Improved Familiar feat, he can choose a candy ooze as a familiar. Like the standard familiar, a candy ooze becomes a magical beast, and loses the benefits of the Mindless trait. A candy ooze grants its master the benefits of the Blind-Fight feat whenever its master is within 1 mile of it. A candy ooze familiar never gains the ability to speak to others of its own kind.
    To gain a mint candy as a familiar, the character must have a caster level of 1 and the Improved Familiar feat. It advances as a standard familiar.
    To gain a cherry candy as a familiar, the character must have a caster level of 3rd and the Improved Familiar feat. It advances as its master’s caster level was two levels lower then it actually is.

{table]|Mint Candy|Cherry Candy
    |Diminutive Ooze|Tiny Ooze
    Hit Dice:|1/4d10 (3 hp)|1d10 (9 hp)
    Initiative:|+2|+0
    Speed:|10 ft (2 squares), climb 10 ft.|10 ft (2 squares), climb 10 ft.
    Armor Class:|16 (+4 size, +2 Dex), touch 16, flat-footed 14|12 (+2 size), touch 12, flat-footed 12
    Base Attack/ Grapple:|+0/ -16|+0/ -11
    Attack:|Slam +6 melee (1 –4 plus 1 acid)|Slam +2 melee (1d3-3 plus 1 acid)
    Full Attack:|Slam +6 melee (1 –4 plus 1 acid)|Slam +2 melee (1d3-3 plus 1 acid)
    Space/ Reach:|1 ft./ 0 ft.|2˝ ft./ 0 ft.
    Special Attacks:|Acid|Acid
    Special Qualities:|Blindsight 30 ft|Blindsight 30 ft
    Saves:|Fort -1, Ref +4, Will +0|Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +0
    Abilities:|Str 2, Dex 14, Con 15, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 2|Str 4, Dex 10, Con 19, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 2
    Skills:|Climb +8, Hide +12|Climb +8, Hide +8
    Feats:|Weapon Finesse (B)|Weapon Finesse (B)
    Environment:|Underground|Underground
    Organization:|Solitary|Solitary
    Challenge Rating:|1/16|1/8
    Treasure:|None|None
    Alignment:|Always neutral|Always neutral
    Advancement:|-|-
    [/table]
    Last edited by Danu; 2007-06-13 at 11:46 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: [MiTP] Candy Oozes

You know, that Cherry candy could make for one sweet familiar.

/pun.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Huh. It seems like people don't like the mint candy nearly as much as they do the cherry. Anyone willing to mention why?

Indon: Yes, they would. And whenever you run out of supplies, that cherry blossom smell is going to make things reeeeal tempting.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

heehee, fun idea. I dunno, seems a bit comedic for a monster book, but I dunno. I like that you can take them as familiars.

Are they edible?

Also, you need to put in sizes. Looking at the bonuses, you made mint diminutive and cherry tiny, right? I suggest fine for the mint, fine is about the size of a fly, diminutive is about the size of a toad or large rat.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker
    heehee, fun idea. I dunno, seems a bit comedic for a monster book, but I dunno. I like that you can take them as familiars.
    Well, everyone seems to like the really nasty big bad monsters. I decided to make some monsters that wern't really a challenge, but had a good bit of flavor and fun to 'em.

And, of course, the idea of making them capable of being familiars just seemed to pop right out there.

Are they edible?
    I'm sure they are, to an extent. Despite how they smell, however, I doubt they'd taste very good. Although that would be a nice bit of fluff, wouldn't it? The mint candies could be a dwarf's breathmint.

Also, you need to put in sizes. Looking at the bonuses, you made mint diminutive and cherry tiny, right? I suggest fine for the mint, fine is about the size of a fly, diminutive is about the size of a toad or large rat.
    When I set up the table, I must have missed the sizes. And you're right on the sizes.

A mint candy is actually about the size of a mouse. A cherry candy is about the size of a small cat. Despite the 'candy' part of their name, few people would actually mistake these creatures as an actual treat on inspection.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

With the popularity of the cherry and mint ooze their manufacturers will begin to create other flavors like the chocolate pudding (like the Black Pudding in the monster manual) and the rock candy golem.
    Last edited by DragonTounge; 2007-06-06 at 09:22 PM.
    Unofficial flash light of the
    My homebrew monsters: Reef Golem, Blood Burning Crab, Blood Burning Swarm, Spreader, Demonic Spirit
    Bringer of doom to all thing furry and small

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I can see it already, "the candy man"
    do you know black pudding's fatel weekness?
    milk and a spoon

/pun
    awsom avvy by simius
    srry 'bout the spellin'

OoTS Graveyard

R.I.P OoTS #1-#443
    Fell right into her grave. OoTS#120-#464

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Ah, I love my tiny semi-intelligent oozes. Improved familiar already costs a feat for what little benefit you get for an improved familiar, I don't think it's necessary to penalize the cherry candy's bonuses.

I'd specify that the cherry candy's acid doesn't affect inorganic material, unless you meant it to ("all but the dead" implies that you didn't).

I'm confused on the mint ooze: it has no int score, yet you say that it's trainable, and then don't mention it in the training section. I'd just give it the same 1 int myself, but it needs some kind of mention, otherwise it won't be trainable by the rules.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

why am i reminded of the 80s horror movie "The Stuff"?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Danu View Post
    It advances as its master’s caster level was two levels lower then it actually is.
    Should be "It advances as if its master's"
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.