As you enter the cavern you see a grisly sight; two corpses lie on the table, barely rotted despite the age of this place. Drawing closer you can still tell that they were an attractive young couple in life. As the cleric bows his head in a silent prayer, the corpses suddenly stir, as if the good intentions themselves had driven them into a rage. He is thrown to the ground before he can even begin to reach for his mace. As he scrambles back you prepare to cast a spell and the paladin readies her sword. To your surprise, as the battle begins, the two abominations spread out a pair of decaying wings and take to the air. You feel a strange sense of forboding...
AKA: Corrupted Angel, Rotten Celestial
Medium Undead (Angel, Evil)
12d12 (78 hp)
30ft. (6 Squares); Fly 90ft. (Poor)
29, touch 14, flat-footed 25 (+4 dex, +15 natural)
Slam +12 melee (1d6+6)
2 Slams +12 melee (1d6+6)
5 ft./5 ft.
Magical Corruption, Confuse Alignment
Angel, Undead and Evil Traits, Regeneration 5, Spell Resistance 30, Change Shape
Fort +4, Ref +8, Will +13
Str 22, Dex 18, Con —, Int —, Wis 20, Cha 15
Solitary or Pair
Always Neutral Evil
Caries are undead created by corrupting an angel that has taken a humanoid form. Through a complex process the angel is trapped in it's shapeshifted form, killed, the corpse resurrected and the angel itself bound to it. The result resembles whatever form the unlucky celestial had taken but with dark rotting wings.
Angel, Undead and Evil Traits
Note that because of their undead nature, Caries' Protective Aura ability functions against good aligned creatures.
Magical Corruption (Su)
Undead are once-living creatures animated by spiritual or supernatural forces.
An undead creature possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).
- No Constitution score.
- Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
- Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
- Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
- Cannot heal damage on its own if it has no Intelligence score, although it can be healed. Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) can heal undead creatures. The fast healing special quality works regardless of the creature’s Intelligence score.
- Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
- Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.
- Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
- Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.
- Proficient with its natural weapons, all simple weapons, and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
- Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Undead not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Undead are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
- Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.
Angels are a race of celestials, or good outsiders, native to the good-aligned Outer Planes.
An angel possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).
- Darkvision out to 60 feet and low-light vision.
- Immunity to acid, cold, and petrification.
- Resistance to electricity 10 and fire 10.
- +4 racial bonus on saves against poison.
- Protective Aura (Su): Against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures, this ability provides a +4 deflection bonus to AC and a +4 resistance bonus on saving throws to anyone within 20 feet of the angel. Otherwise, it functions as a magic circle against evil effect and a lesser globe of invulnerability, both with a radius of 20 feet (caster level equals angel’s HD). (The defensive benefits from the circle are not included in an angel’s statistics block.)
- Tongues (Su): All angels can speak with any creature that has a language, as though using a tongues spell (caster level equal to angel’s Hit Dice). This ability is always active.
A subtype usually applied only to outsiders native to the evil-aligned Outer Planes. Evil outsiders are also called fiends. Most creatures that have this subtype also have evil alignments; however, if their alignments change, they still retain the subtype. Any effect that depends on alignment affects a creature with this subtype as if the creature has an evil alignment, no matter what its alignment actually is. The creature also suffers effects according to its actual alignment. A creature with the evil subtype overcomes damage reduction as if its natural weapons and any weapons it wields were evil-aligned (see Damage Reduction, above).
Any non-spontaneous spell caster with unused good aligned spells who makes contact with the Caries must make a DC 22 will save or lose them.
Confuse Alignment (Ex)
A number of times per day equal to its charisma modifier a Caries may make a touch attack on any intelligent creature to share the confusion of its conflicted alignment. If the attack succeeds the target takes 1 point of charisma damage and must make a DC 14 will save or have their alignment confused. If this happens then they become a caricature of those of opposed alignments (e.g. chaotic individuals may become a stickler for obeying rules, neutral characters may commit unshakably to an ideal, etc) for 1d6 hours.
A Caries takes damage from fire, good-aligned weapons and from spells and effects with the good or fire descriptor.
Change Shape (Su)
This allows the Caries to assume the form of any small or medium humanoid or monstrous humanoid, however they remain mindless making it impossible for them to pass as a living creature. A Caries that is not being controlled (or otherwise ordered to do otherwise) will instinctively assume the form of an attractive member of the last race it saw.
Being mindless Caries will usually lay dormant in the form of the last type of humanoid or monstrous humanoid it saw, resembling an eerily fresh corpse. It will attack any living creature that comes within 10 feet then proceed to fight until there are none left within 100 feet or it is destroyed.
Knowledge (The Planes) or Knowledge (Arcana) check
|22||This is a Caries. An undead creature made from a corrupted Angel (reveals undead, angel and evil traits).|
|27||Most of their good aligned abilities have been corrupted they may also corrupt the living (reveals Magical Corruption and Confuse Alignment abilities).|
|32||They can still shapeshift into a humanoid form (reveals shapeshift ability)|
- The party's cleric is sent a vision by their deity of an angel that has been captured by a dark wizard. He asks his fellow party members to join him in freeing it. Little does he know the wizard already has several Caries from previously captured angels at his disposal.
- A mysterious person has been seen wondering the streets. The rumours state that it flies on rotting wings and kills all who encounter it, however the same rumours are inconsistent as to its appearance.
- A local wizard has created a Caries, unknown to the rest of his guild. The PCs must both stop him and prevent an overzealous paladin from slaying them all in retaliation.