New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XII

Welcome, contestants, judges, and guests to Iron Chef XII. Here in Optimization Colosseum, contestants will endeavor to create an optimized and flavorful character using a specified D&D3.5 prestige class as a "Secret Ingredient".

Contestants: You will need to present your build at at least one of the following points: 5th level, 10th level, 15th, 20th, and a "sweet spot" that you feel is the high point of the build. Feel free to present as many of these as you like, and please give a rundown of the build's abilities and playability at all of the levels you didn't show. The rules are as follows:

Menu: For most challenges, the "special ingredient" will be drawn from Core plus Completes. There will, from time to time, be special challenges that showcase secret ingredients from other books--for example, the XPH.

32 point-buy is the presumed creation method, but we have generally allowed other levels of point-buy.
    If you do use a different point-buy, please make your case for its necessity in your entry. Keep in mind that for using exceptionally large or small point-buys may warrant deductions in elegance and/or power.

Kitchen: Competitors will be free to use any official 3.5 rulebook in constructing their builds. Dragon magazine is disallowed, and Unearthed Arcana is allowed; but see Elegance below. Alternate rule systems from UA such as gestalt are not allowed, as they create a different playing field. Also, item familiars are forbidden because I hate 'em.

Cooking Time: Contestants will have until 11:59pm CUT on Thursday, September 30th 11:59pm CUT on Friday, October 1st to create their builds and PM them to the Chairman, Ozymandias9. Builds will then be posted simultaneously, to avoid copying.

Judging: Judging will be based on the following criteria, with each build rated from 1 (very poor) to 5 (exemplary) in each area: Originality, Power, Elegance, Use of Secret Ingredient.

Power level is up to you. Cheese is acceptable, but should be kept to a sane level unless you're showcasing a new TO build you've discovered. In the words of one of my predecessors, a little cheddar can be nice, but avoid the mature Gruyere unless you're making a cheese fondue.

Elegance could bear a little elaboration. It basically measures how skillfully you put your build together, and whether you sacrificed flavor for power. We're cooking here - if your dish doesn't taste good, it doesn't matter how well-presented it is. Use of flaws is an automatic loss of one point per flaw in this category. Other things that will cause lost points here are excessive multiclassing, and classes that don't fit the concept - using Cloistered Cleric in a front-line melee fighter, for example, will lose you points.

I am going to have to ask the contestants to PM me about any disagreement with the judges. Under no circumstances is a contestant to defend themselves inside the thread, since it breaks anonymity. For a brief refrence of what is and is not a valid dispute, confer this post.

Presentation: Builds will be posted anonymously, in order to avoid the potential of bias towards a particular competitor. For this reason, please don't put your name in the build, as I'm likely to miss it when reviewing the entries!

Due to concerns about standardizing entry format, I'd like everyone to try to use the following table for their entry.
    Spoiler
    Show
    NAME OF ENTRY
    {table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features

1st|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

2nd|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

3rd|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

4th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

5th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

6th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

7th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

8th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

9th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

10th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

11th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

12th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

13th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

14th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

15th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

16th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

17th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

18th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

19th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x

20th|New Class Level|
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |
    +x
    |Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities[/table]

Code
    Spoiler
    Show
    [b]NAME OF ENTRY[/b]
    {table=head][b]Level[/b]|[B]Class[/B]|[b]Base Attack<br>Bonus[/b]|[b]Fort Save[/b]|[b]Ref Save[/b]|[b]Will Save[/b]|[B]Skills[/B]|[B]Feats[/B]|[b]Class Features[/b]

1st|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

2nd|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

3rd|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

4th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

5th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

6th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

7th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

8th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

9th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

10th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

11th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

12th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

13th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

14th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

15th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

16th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

17th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

18th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

19th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities

20th|New Class Level|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|[center]+x[/center]|Skills|New Feats|New Class Abilities[/table]

For entries with spellcasting, use the following table for Spells per day and Spells Known. (Spells Known only if necessary, i.e. Sorcerer or Bard, but not Wizard or Warmage)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spells per day/Spells Known
    {table=head]Level|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

1st|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

Code
    Spoiler
    Show
    [b]Spells per day/Spells Known[/b]
    {table=head][b]Level[/b]|[b]0lvl[/b]|[b]1st[/b]|[b]2nd[/b]|[b]3rd[/b]|[b]4th[/b]|[b]5th[/b]|[b]6th[/b]|[b]7th[/b]|[b]8th[/b]|[b]9th[/b]

1st|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

4th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

5th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

8th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

9th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

10th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

11th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

12th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

13th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

14th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

15th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

16th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

17th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

18th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

19th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-

20th|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]

For other systems (Psionics, ToB, Incarnum, etc.) keep track of PP/maneuvers/essentia separately, preferably in a nice neat list.

Speculation: Please don't post or speculate on possible builds until the "reveal," in order to avoid spoiling the surprise if a particular competitor is producing a build along those lines.

Leadership is banned; we're producing a meal, not a seven-course banquet for a hundred diners.

So! Who wants to sign up as a contestant, and who wants to sign up as a judge? Looking for about 5 judges and as many contestants as feel like playing!

In what is becoming a theme, this will be the contest's fourth special challenge. This week's special ingredient is:

The Expanded Psionics Handbook's War Mind!

As a note, this week's ingredient is also available as part of the SRD.

Allez optimiser!

Judges
    gallagher
    Private-Prinny
    Dubious Pie
    Keld Denar
    OMG PONIES
    True_Shinken
    The Vorpal Tribble

Contestants
    Cadian 9th
    The Gilded Duke
    Greyfell
    BobVosh
    WinWin
    Amphetryon
    IdleMuse
    TerrickTerran
    playswithfire
    Rancor1
    T.G. Oskar

Past Competitions

Iron Chef I: Entropomancer
    Iron Chef II: Psibond Agent
    Iron Chef III: Cancer Mage
    Iron Chef IV: Stonelord
    Iron Chef V: War Chanter
    Iron Chef VI: Master of Masks
    Iron Chef VII: Green Star Adept
    Iron Chef VIII: Pyrokineticist
    Iron Chef IX: Animal Lord
    Iron Chef X: Mythic Exemplar
    Iron Chef XI: Blade Bravo

Post Edit History
    10/8/10 9:50 PM CUT Updated Judges List
    Spoiler
    Show

10/2/10 5:12 AM CUT Updated Contestants post
    10/2/10 3:25AM CUT: Updated Judges List
    9/29/10 9:46pm Cooking Time Extended
    Last edited by Ozymandias9; 2010-10-08 at 04:51 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. [...]Where did you start yours?
    A street riot in a major city that was getting violent.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XII

Declaring interest as a contestant!

War mind, huh? This'll be fun!
    Awesome Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins!

Retired from active duty

It means I am rarely on this site anymore. It's been an honor serving with you all.

PEACH

3. - Top - End - #3

Kobold

Contestant time! War Mind! Yes! Hahaha.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

In like Flynn. War mind.... Mmmmmm *ponders*

This ought to be interesting.
    I play bards a LOT in 3/3.5... keep this in mind when I post answers to questions :)

Running the Night Below (old 2nd edition module) adapted to 3.5, heres the journal:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166334 (game now defunct sadly)

Now running, Red hand of Doom in Forgotten Realms
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219147

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Going for contestant this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

if it isnt too much to ask, i would like to participate as a judge. especially because i would like to see some amazing war mind builds!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hell yeah. I hope the judges are not lactose intolerant.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WinWin View Post
    Hell yeah. I hope the judges are not lactose intolerant.
    You going to try to constipate them with cheese?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Competing in this one.

EDIT: War Mind in the SRD
    Last edited by Amphetryon; 2010-09-26 at 06:05 AM.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Hmm, I'm in as a contestant, but that may change to judge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

11. - Top - End - #11

Whoa, short time this time round... Maybe I should put aside ALL of tomorrow to compete.
    "Hex grids are the way forward! And slighty to the side..." - Studoku

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGirl

I'd like to judge if possible. I love psionic builds.
    Minister of sarcasm and pragmatism of the Grayview fanclub.

No, none of us were altering the unimutable laws of physics. That would be wrong.

13. - Top - End - #13

I'm in for judging. I'll update this post with criteria in a bit.

Edit: Here they are. Instead of a rigid system, I just use general guidelines.

Originality
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros: Does the build take advantage of an unusual race? An unusual class combination? Does the build do something that hasn't been done before? Is the build distinct from the other entries?

Cons: Does the build use an obvious entry? An obvious tactic? Does the build look like a known example? Is the build similar to other entries?

Power
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros: Does the build function in its chosen role? Does it have extra capabilities outside of its chosen role? How would it compare to other builds made for that role?

Cons: Does the build fail at its chosen role? Is it incapable of functioning outside of that role? How does it compare to other builds with that role?

Elegance
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros: Does the build progress smoothly? Do you get something new every level? Does the build stop taking class levels at appropriate points? Can the build fit in with a variety of parties?

Cons: Does the build progress sporadically? Are there excessive dead levels? Does the build rely on alternate rules? Do you have uncited sources? Flaws are a one point deduction each. Is the build inhibited by a party?

Use of Secret Ingredient
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pros: Does the build identify itself as a War Mind? Are all of the class features taken advantage of? Is the inclusion of War Mind crucial to the build's tactics? Does the build enter War Mind early in the progression?

Cons: Does the build identify itself as an X with War Mind levels? Are some class features simply abandoned? Is the inclusion of War Mind levels detrimental to the build's tactics? Does the build put off War Mind levels until late in the progression?
    Last edited by Private-Prinny; 2010-09-27 at 04:56 PM.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Moron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    'Adding up numbers' is completely independent of roleplay. What you're saying makes as much sense as "peeling a banana is not a good way to drive."

14. - Top - End - #14

I'll try to compete, but not sure I'll have the time to throw something together.
    Homebrew
    Current Project (A sequel to Tome of Battle)
    Past Projects, some of which I may come back to
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric Sea Campaign Setting (work in progress)
    later version of the Sea Dog base class from it

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

yeah this is a rather short turn around... might have to be a little light on the back story this time :)
    I play bards a LOT in 3/3.5... keep this in mind when I post answers to questions :)

Running the Night Below (old 2nd edition module) adapted to 3.5, heres the journal:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166334 (game now defunct sadly)

Now running, Red hand of Doom in Forgotten Realms
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219147

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Warmind. Nice. I'm in as a contestant this time.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, the War Mind. One of those classic PrCs with great (or at least cool) abilities and no real natural entry or followup class. I don't have the time to compete or to judge, but I'll be watching this with some interest. I hope that people will be really aiming for the Originality angle this time... it would be interesting to see several different takes on this. Offhand, I can think of two semi-obvious ways to go (which is distinct from having a natural entry point), but we'll see how people go beyond those.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sign me up for judging.
    Last edited by Dubious Pie; 2010-09-26 at 04:29 PM.
    Who made my awesome mad scientist hamster? Why Dr.Epic, of course.

Any Washington GitPers that want to have a meet up/play RPGs/Light things on fire, please PM me.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Rappy View Post
    So yes, the metal skeleton can be haulted by the power of rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    Their souls taste of rancid trout and the foul aftertaste of failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    On the plus side, they did manage to teach me the proper sequence for the first six letters of the alphabet.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Why such a short build time?
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

20. - Top - End - #20

I'm guessing with the length of time the last round took, Ozy wanted to abbreviate this one to keep a semi-regular pace. Also, I'm coming up zeroes right now in terms of character concepts. I may switch to judging, unless I can drum up a concept tomorrow.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Just asking, but I presume 1st level "dip" is not too bad, so long as the rest of your build is straight classes? (I.e. only 4.)

Failing that, are soverign archetypes allowed for DW kobolds?
    Awesome Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins!

Retired from active duty

It means I am rarely on this site anymore. It's been an honor serving with you all.

PEACH

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

I like judging! Copy/Pasta

One thing...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE include your PP per level, at every level where your PP total changes. I don't want to have to go back and calculate your PP all the time to see how much staying power you have at various levels. Failure to do so WILL result in point deductions. Period.

My Criteria
    Originality: Does the submission use unexpected sources or material? Does it avoid over-used qualification methods? Does it use the secret ingredient in an unusual or clever way? This section is an amalgam of the build itself and how the build is presented.

Power: What tier is this build? How does it compete against similar roles in terms of versatility, skills, damage, control, resiliance, etc. Does the inclusion of <Secret Ingredient> actually make this build more powerful? Is the build well-optimized? Are there any noticable saggy spots where the build underperforms? Is the build versatile (able to respond to a variety of challenges, both combat and non-combat), on top of any specialized tricks it may contain. Does the build use large amounts of LA and/or RHD that could lead to a slow start? Be as detailed as possible. If there is something your build does that is powerful, yet not completely obvious, you should probably expand upon it. If an important yet subtle feature in your build is missed by the judges, its mostly your own fault.

Elegance: Does your build progress well? Does it avoid requiring flaws and variant rules (not including published Alt Class Features like Racial Subs)? Do you avoid overly dipping classes like cleric 1 that are obviously for bonus feats/class abilities? Does the build play well in a party, or does the presence of a party inhibit its functionality. Does your build subscribe to various power break points if it doesn't complete a PrC? Do you avoid using Taint and Dark Chaos shuffling? Other judges might, but I have no problem with a player drawing from a multitude of sources. As far as I'm concerned, if material in a source book improves your submission, use it. This section is the one most affected by your back story and build presentation, but the submission itself is still very important here. PLEASE CITE ALL SOURCES USED!

Use of Secret Ingredient: How important is the secret ingredient in this build? Would you refer to the build as being A <Secret Ingredient>, or are you just splashing the PrC in there? Does the flavor of the build fit that of the PrC? Do you use the PrC in a clever, synergistic or powerful way? Do the special abilities of the secret ingredient augement or are augemented by other abilities in the build? If you didn't use all levels of the secret ingredient (and you don't always have to), do you have good reasoning why not, and did you exit at an acceptable power break point? This section is an amalgam of the build itself and how the SI interacts with the rest of the build.
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2010-09-27 at 12:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

23. - Top - End - #23

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Heliomance View Post
    Why such a short build time?
    It's 5 days from when I posted it. When I did 7 I was told it was a long period. I'm quite willing to extend it if a significant number of participants think Friday 10/1/10 would be better.
    Last edited by Ozymandias9; 2010-09-27 at 01:14 AM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. [...]Where did you start yours?
    A street riot in a major city that was getting violent.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

That was partly my fault. I got slammed at work and it really impacted my free time to judge. I don't anticipate having that problem again (unless there is another major break somewhere in the mill, at which point the plant would probably close for good...).

25. - Top - End - #25

BlueWizardGirl

I think I'll take the plunge and participate for the first time. It'll be interesting to see how many people had the same idea.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

I would also like to participate.
    Player Registry

Current Characters:
    Cael Therge - Religious Rampage
    Miski Ranshar - The Cage & Beyond

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Huh, I didn't even know the last one ever got finished. Got busy with the PrC competition in the homebrew forums.

*reads*

Still amazes me sometimes how often with this competition my entries are loved or considered a favorite and yet still score badly... sometimes in every category

It depends on the judge's specifics when I see them whether I enter this one or not. I didn't read the fine print in the last competition and have some serious issues with a few of them. Those don't seem to be judges this round however, so hopefully won't be a problem.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2010-09-27 at 12:29 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Note, I edited in a new line in my judging criteria, notated by bolded text.

"Does the build play well in a party, or does the presence of a party inhibit its functionality."

This is something I realize I judged on in a couple of the last few competitions. Some builds just don't play well with others. Builds that rely overly much on excessive amounts of stealth and/or deception tend not to work well in a party comprised of a drunken, fullplate wearing dwarf and a pyromaniac wizard, etc. Not saying that these builds wouldn't work ok in a group, but that they don't reach their fullest potential in a group or tend to pull the spotlight away from the group. Plain and simple, would the build make a better NPC (especially NPC "boss" type) than a PC.

If any of you have any questions about this, or would like more clarification, just ask.

29. - Top - End - #29

Oy, definitely judging. My only original ideas each had wrinkles I couldn't iron out. Criteria coming shortly.

EDIT: And here they are...

Originality
    • 1: The build is either a duplicate or a collage of pieces gleaned from well-known charop builds.
    • 2: The build closely mirrors another submission in election (race/class/etc) and/or execution (entry/combos/tricks). Please note that, in such situations, both submissions will receive the reduced score.
    • 3: The build is fairly straightforward, though some small elements may have been unexpected.
    • 4: The build is unexpected in either election (race/class/etc) or execution (entry/combos/tricks), but not both.
    • 5: The build was entirely unexpected and unique, both in election and execution.

NOTE: I also evaluate the character's backstory as a component of my originality score. Particularly unique and decent stories may receive a small bump (up to +1), though drab or cliche stories will not be penalized. I understand that the build itself is the focus of the competition, but I feel that a finely crafted or well-engineered concept can really give a build identity.

Power
    • 1: The build, as presented, cannot function in its chosen role. Examples include a wizard with 9 INT or an illegal build.
    • 2: The build functions more weakly in a party than a similar build without the secret ingredient, relying entirely on items or adequate preparation rounds.
    • 3: The build functions as well in a party as a similar build without the secret ingredient. Though the build can still function without items or adequate preparation rounds, it does so at a reduced capacity.
    • 4: The build functions as a stronger party member than a similar build without the secret ingredient. Though the build can still function without items, it may operate at a reduced capacity without adequate preparation rounds.
    • 5: The build excels at its chosen role/roles within a party, eclipsing a similar build without the secret ingredient, even in the absence of items or adequate preparation rounds.

NOTE: Please keep in mind that I evaluate submissions against similar builds, rather than against each other. I will evaluate a caster submission against the strength of other casters, a skillmonkey build against the strength of other skillmonkeys, and so on.

Elegance
    • 1: The build presented is illegal by any reading of the rules, functions only upon an intentional misreading of the rules, or contains 3 or more "dips" (defined as less than two levels in any class).
    • 2: The build presented is overly complex, or relies on conflicting class features (either mechanically or in terms of flavor). No more than two dips.
    • 3: The build presented is simple and straightforward enough that most DMs would allow it at their table. No more than 1 dip.
    • 4: The build presented, while streamlined, efficient, and free of dips, relies on a variant such as LA buyoff or variant classes/races presented in Unearthed Arcana. Please keep in mind that such elements can be presented as possible adaptations with no reduction to Elegance. However, if the build cannot function without the variant used, the deduction will be taken.
    • 5: The build presented is so streamlined that it all seems to blend together as one larger class.

NOTE: As per contest rules, flaws will cause a deduction of one point each, to a minimum score of zero. Also, while I will not penalize cheese in terms of power, it may cause a reduction in elegance.

Use of the Secret Ingredient (UoSI)
    • 1: The build does not qualify for the Secret Ingredient, renders the class features useless in some way, or hampers class features gained elsewhere by taking the Secret Ingredient.
    • 2: The build has utilized, but not showcased any of the class features acquired.
    • 3: The build has showcased at least one class feature acquired, and taken at least half of the levels of the Secret Ingredient.
    • 4: The build has taken every level of the Secret Ingredient, or provided a persuasive explanation as to why not doing so was beneficial. Most class features acquired are showcased, but not all.
    • 5: The build has taken every level of the Secret Ingredient, or provided a persuasive explanation as to why not doing so was crucial. Every class feature acquired is showcased.

NOTE: As mentioned, by my criteria a character can fail to use every level of the Secret Ingredient and still receive a perfect score in this category. It's not just about how much you use...it's about why you use it, and how you use it.

Please note that submitting an illegal build will cause you to receive scores of 1 in Power, Elegance, AND Use of the Secret Ingredient. While I do not like to penalize multiple times for the same thing, there is no excuse for submitting an illegal build to this contest. Please double check your entry requirements and feat prerequisites.

If there are any questions or comments on my criteria, let me know via PM or through the chairman.

EDIT TO THE EDIT: Criteria adjusted to reflect the minimum score of 1.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2010-09-27 at 02:45 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Note, I edited in a new line in my judging criteria, notated by bolded text.

"Does the build play well in a party, or does the presence of a party inhibit its functionality."

This is something I realize I judged on in a couple of the last few competitions. Some builds just don't play well with others. Builds that rely overly much on excessive amounts of stealth and/or deception tend not to work well in a party comprised of a drunken, fullplate wearing dwarf and a pyromaniac wizard, etc. Not saying that these builds wouldn't work ok in a group, but that they don't reach their fullest potential in a group or tend to pull the spotlight away from the group. Plain and simple, would the build make a better NPC (especially NPC "boss" type) than a PC.

If any of you have any questions about this, or would like more clarification, just ask.
    Just so I'm clear on this one, are the "drunken, fullplate wearing dwarf and a pyromaniac wizard" going to be the de facto expectation for the other members of the presumptive party, or do you want us to spell out the other members of the adventuring party, or how do you envision this influencing scoring? I only ask because I know that some builds work poorly with others; a battlefield-control wizard who specializes in divide-and-conquer techniques often works at cross-purposes to a cleave-monkey, while the pyromaniac is a better fit (but is less optimal otherwise), for example.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show