New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Conquering the Fantasy Kitchen Sink - Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo!

During IN, Keine disappearified the village because she suspected ill intent from the PCs. Let's show her just how right she was.

I'd say declare and attack. Declaring and developing doesn't seem like as good an idea, as we'd have both used an action on declaring war and forfeited the initiative. If we're going to use up an action on declaring war, we should make use of the advantage it gives us.

Also, Hakurei Dilemma sideplot, huh? Always a good one if executed well.
    Last edited by Jm2c; 2010-10-27 at 07:14 AM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah, declare and assault. No point in hesitating.
    "This means War! ...maybe..."

How large is the Alice-Marisa relations stat-penalty? I refrained from using them in the same party because of it, but is it actually meaningful or just fluff ?
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Pixie in the Playground

Items are mainly set up by difficulty level. On harder levels you won't get items at all.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Banned

I found the side plot about Reimu's issues to be really well done. Though, actually i would say that the two big side plots, Reimu and Marissa's, to be the central parts of the plot of the story. The main plot is really just "Yukari is bored and starts a big fight between everyone in Gensokyo." These two side plots both contain much character development and are quite central to events throughout the game. The two minor side plots, Reisen and Medicine's, are nice too, but very clearly not main plots of any kind.

And i concur. Let's get to fighting right now. And pray that we don't get caved.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IncoherentEssay View Post
    How large is the Alice-Marisa relations stat-penalty? I refrained from using them in the same party because of it, but is it actually meaningful or just fluff ?
    I think it's just a drop in a single random stat, like Melee dropping from 4 to 3 or Defense dropping from 5 to 4. That's what happens to me anyway.

And I guess the only reason I suggested to possibly develop instead of attack immediately was in case we still don't have enough units to muster a decent defense. After all, what's the point in launching an attack if you're just going to lose 80 points right after? (Not directing this at you, I just don't want to double post to explain my reasoning for everyone.)
    Last edited by EifieFlare; 2010-10-27 at 03:07 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 30

Spoiler
    Show
    The youngsters of the village were once again training under the blaze of the mid-day sun, practicing for the coming battles. Keine stood nearby, watching over them wordlessly. She was pressured by the villagers to participate in the game, but she still felt uneasy about it. A young man then came up to her.

Villager: Good afternoon, Ms. Keine. What's happened to make you look so pained?

Keine: Hm...Ah, uh, it's nothing.

You shouldn't try to lie, Ms. Keine. All your emotions are right there on your face! Don't worry so much, we won't be defeated so easily! Anyway, I need to do a few more laps, so please excuse me!

Ah, right...Don't push yourself too hard.

Her reply was out of character, but the villager decided to pay it no heed, and ran off after waving goodbye. As she watched his back fade into the distance, her face grew even more grim.

Akyu: Is something the matter? You look like you just found weevils in your rice bin.

Keine's gaze quickly shifted to the side that the voice came from, to find Akyu, who had been apparently been standing next to her for some time.

That kind of expression will make everyone feel uneasy, you know.

...Today's a day to ask about facial expressions, it seems.

That is why I am putting on a face that is imploring you to tell me your problems.

Hmm...It seems I'm easy to read, huh?

She stretched her two hands out to the sky and sighed. Keine had thought that she was able to keep her emotions under control, but apparently her skill at it needed refining.

Well, leaving that aside...Are you taking a walk, Lady Akyu?

Ah, no...Actually, I came to show this to you.

Akyu took out a familiar-looking sealed letter. Keine lost her bearings for a second as she tried to remember where she saw it before, but quickly regained her composure and began to ask more questions.

...Did that shady youkai say something to you again?

No, this is not from Lady Yukari. I received it from a child just a little while ago.

Keine opened the sealed letter and took in its contents as she listened. Once again, her expression started to change.

This is...It's one of those, isn't it?

Yes...It is a declaration of war from the Hakurei Shrine.

Good grief...How could they entrust such a thing to a child?

Apparently, the shrine maiden called the first person she saw at the entrance over and told him to give this to an important person in the village.

Such irresponsibility...Is she so lazy that she cannot approach one of the elder villagers?

She can be magnanimous at the best of times, and negligent at the worst, but Keine still could not believe that she would handle such an important letter so carelessly.

Anyway, it has finally come...Honestly, I don't think we are ready for it yet...but it's no use complaining about it now.

Additionally, I have something further I would like to speak to you about.

Mm? What is it?

I would like to fight alongside everyone.

Ungh!? *cough cough*...

Akyu's unexpected announcement nearly caused Keine to choke. She turned to face Akyu, and saw the seriousness in her eyes.

A-Are you all right, Ms. Keine?

I-I'm fine...More importantly, you shouldn't make such jokes, they're...

No, I am quite serious.

Akyu looked Keine straight in the eye. She was not going to back down, not even a single step.

It is true that I am not good at fighting...But battles are not just about direct combat, or shooting danmaku from afar. With my intelligence, and the Gensokyo Chronicles...The difference between victory and defeat is knowledge, don't you think?

Well, what you say does have some merit...But...

If it becomes dangerous, then I shall run away. That will be all, so let us work well together, Ms. Keine.

Dear me...That's one more thing to worry about. You look like you're having fun, though.

Ah, my apologies. I was just thinking how this would be the first interesting event of my generation that I will see...Anyway, I must go. I shall see you again.

Akyu bowed her head slightly, then started to walk back into the village. Keine watched her figure vanish into the distance, not knowing what to think.

Is this...the flow of time as well?

"Human Village Corps" - War has been declared.
    Akyu Hieda has joined the Human Village Corps.

For all their determnation, sadly the Human Village Corps' troops weren't too good in a fight. With a lower average level than the ghosts of the Higan Guard, the humans from the village were easy pickings for our battle-hardened warriors. Akyu herself had little in the way of offense, so we were able to safely just ignore her for much of the fight as we concentrated on taking out her guardsmen.

Looks like the Human Village will need quite a bit of help if they want to make this more of a challenge.

Keine had been very busy, checking around the village and talking to possible recruits due to the village's participation in Yukari's proposition. Her own history compilation and lessons were delayed as a result. The villagers worried for her, and implored her to leave matters to them during idle times. She took up their offer and slowly got some free time back to rest and walk around freely outside for a change of pace.

Her arms went towards the sky as she stretched. She looked upwards with narrowed eyes due to the strong sunlight, and sensed a black mass zooming by. It was too fast to see, and only something floating down was left.

Keine: Hmmm, this is...a crow's feather. But where did it come from...?

She suspiciously looked up towards the sky again, but there was nary a crow to be seen or heard. She decided that the wind must've blown it here, and was about to look down, when the black mass passed through again.

What...? I didn't see it too clearly...but was that a youkai?

Considering the possibility of an attack, Keine quickly prepared for battle. The black figure then stopped right above Keine, and swooped down swiftly. Keine barely jumped backwards, as dust settled where she was.

Ugh...What the...!?

???: Ouch...I put too much strength into that.

Who are you!?

Keine lowered her hips and bent her knees, readying herself for the next strike. As the cloud of dust finished settling, a shadow emerged, slowly getting closer.

Ah, hello. Long time no see!

Hm...? Oh, it's just you.

Coming even when not called, spreading the truth at speed to all areas! The traditional newspaper reporter of fantasy, "Aya Shameimaru" has appeared!

...Please leave.

Aya: Wah, how sudden!

Keine finally dropped her guard, and gave the visitor a weary "welcome". The black figure was actually the crow tengu who came to the village before for the data collection, "Aya Shameimaru".

I flew all the way here, and that's the reaction I get? That's so cold!

Why did you come here in the first place? I thought you already collected plenty of data when you came here the other day.

But there's something terribly interesting occurring right now, isn't there!?

Something terribly interesting...?

It's been a hot topic among us tengu. This war gme with Gensokyo as the stage is certainly interesting enough for me to come flying over!

Please leave.

I still haven't asked anything yet~!

If you're looking to write an article on it, shouldn't you go straight to the one who started it all?

Nobody ever knows where that youkai is.

What about the shrine maiden?

You're sending me to her? That's so very cruel!

As flashily as Aya had arrived, Keine still could not figure out what her true intentions for coming here were.

This is such a big event, yet everyone at the mountain only wants to spectate. It won't be fun for me at all.

I'm not finding it very fun either.

And allowing myself to not participate in this spectacle would bring shame to my name as a reporter. That's why I came flying here!

I still don't get you.

The bewildered Keine just let Aya keep blabbering her mouth off. But the next words that she spoke were enough to clear all of Keine's confusion.

A reporter needs personal experience to cover a story and write a good article. So I would like to join your army.

............Huh?

With a crow tengu like me assisting you, you can expect victory after victory to come your way!

Hold it right there. Just what are you planning?

How mean, I'm not planning anything. Furthermore, having more capable people...or rather, capable youkai, would be beneficial, don't you think?

Sorry, but you can't expect me to believe that you'll help out here and want nothing in return.

With Keine's doubt case squarely on her, Aya puffed out her chest in pride and defiance.

Oh dear, I suppose I've been found out. You're right, I don't plan to help out for free. After all, it's going to be completed soon, isn't it?

It?

Yes, the holder of much precious material and data covering all of Gensokyo thoroughly. The "Gensokyo Chronicles".

...What do you want with it?

Ah, don't look so scary~. All I want in return for helping out is to be the first one to be able to read the completed Gensokyo Chronicles. With that, I can write about anyone or anywhere very quickly! Ahh, I can smell the beautiful scent of a scoop already!

The Gensokyo Chronicles...the compilation handed down from generation to generation of the Hieda family. Such an item would certainly be mouth-watering for a reporter to possess.

I see...That is not a decision I can make.

The current head of the Hieda family is Akyu, correct? I'll go and see her!

Aya sped off as quickly as she came, leaving those words behind. Her figure soon disappeared from view, and the villagers were in a panic over the sudden gust that swept through the village.

Hey, wai...There she goes. Good grief...The self-centeredness of a youkai truly is a bother...

Keine was half youkai and half human, but she always had harsh words in store for youkai who behaved like aya. However, there was no doubt that Aya would increase their warpower significantly.

That means...Hm...Well, knowing Lady Akyu, she should be able to send her away nicely.

That was Keine's optimistic hope, but a short time later, those hopes were quickly dashed.

Akyu: ...We'll be counting on you, then.

Understood! There are still things that will be ironed out, but that can be saved for next time.

Yes, I have not had much of a chance to speak with those from the mountain, so this will be enjoyable.

I'll also be looking forward to the completion of the Gensokyo Chronicles!

Ehehehehe.

Ahahahaha.

Of course, Keine had no idea such a conversation was occurring under her nose...

Aya Shameimaru has joined the Human Village Corps.

Aya: Extra, extra, read all about it~.

Reimu: Ow!

Reimu had been enjoying a calm and peaceful afternoon, but the silence was suddenly broken. The newspaper that Aya threw hit Reimu right on the head.

That nonsense reporter again...What is it this time?

She lifted the fallen newspaper up towards her view.

Let's see...The crow tengu Aya Shameimaru, famed for being the fastest in Gensokyo, has teamed up with Keine Kamishirasawa to defend the Human Village. This outstanding revelation will greatly increase the Human Village's warpower. The Hakurei Shrine, the enemy army, will have a tough time ahead...What? Reporters can write about themselves now...? Or maybe her making and delivering of this to me is a challenge...She's got guts, at least. She'll be sorry that she wrote that!

Taking up any form of provocation had always been one of her principles, so Reimu was starting to seethe with fighting spirit. This despite the fact that they declared war on the Human Village in the first place.

Turn: 30
    Ouki: 8980
    Ryumaku: 30/61
    Actions Available: 2

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine
    Defense: 250/250
    Cost to Develop: 24 RES

Night-Blind Road
    Defense: 160/160
    Cost to Develop: 27 RES

Faintly Dark Path
    Defense: 175/175
    Cost to Develop: 30 RES

Magic Forest Entrance
    Defense: 180/180
    Cost to Develop: 18 RES

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior
    Defense: 210/210
    cost to Develop: 9 RES

Road of Reconsideration
    Defense: 190/190
    Cost to Develop: 9 RES

Muenzuka
    Defense: 215/215
    Cost to Develop: 6 RES

Enemy Territories:

Human Village
    Army: Human Village Corps
    General: Keine Kamishirasawa (leader)
    Defense: 210/310

The Human Village Corps is probably my favorite army in the game. They're pretty much the underdogs, but I really like all of their unique members. Aya and Keine are two of the best characters in the game, IMHO, and Akyu is just too adorable, even if she is kind of useless in battle. This is probably my favorite portrayal of her character.

@ Incoherent Essay: The stat penalty is determined completely randomly. There's a random chance for each individual stat to receive a -1 penalty for the negative affinity between two characters. You can have all your stats suffer, or none at all. The same is true for getting stat boosts from positive affinities; that's a random +1 to each stat. A character is allowed to have up to 3 negative or positive affinities stack for a single battle, which makes a team full of characters that can support each other into an extremely formidable force. In fact, that's what makes some of the later armies so dangerous.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2011-09-06 at 03:39 PM.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

7. - Top - End - #157
    Banned

Yeah, the human village is awesome. And the Keine/Mokou pair was the foundation i won most of the late game battles on. Both are fairly strong and amazingly durable. Mokou has to die at least twice to stay dead and Keine is basically just a walking, caving, history-teaching tank.

8. - Top - End - #158

So so the penalty can be anything from meaningless to crippling then?
    Wonderful .

Considering that the village is quite a bit weaker than us at the moment, maybe we should hold back a bit and develop. Now that we have antagonized them, we can keep racking xp from their counterattacks pretty easily whilst we develop. If nothing else, getting Reimu & Co over to L10 would be nifty.

Also, i think the generic units aren't randomly generated, merely randomly picked from a list. I ran through a few [Start New Game]s to get a better idea of what to expect of generics and ran into good ol' Jack (Souichirou Chiashi) with the same exact stats as here. Also seen Ichirouta twice now, same stats both times. Anyone else experience this? (though with my luck this was already common knowledge )
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2010-10-28 at 06:12 AM.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

No holding back! Crush them! Crush them now!
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm inclined to agree with Sliver at first, but Inc. makes a compelling argument. Then again, if Keine is as good as she is purported to be here, we may not want to give her too much time to level further. Looking at the latest in-battle pic, I see that our fighters were all around level 9, while their team consisted of level 4-6 mooks with only Akyu leading them, so that may account for the easy victory.

Also, I'm having some fun matching the character portraits witht he artist that drew them. I see Marisa by Takana Shinno Aya by Haniwa, and I think I've seen that Yukari before, but other than that I'm drawing a blank. I guess I don't read enough doujins. Time to go dig through those 8 gb I downloaded the other day.

11. - Top - End - #161

I actually tried out the 'Hold-Out' strategy myself just now. Got to turn 47 before an event (a faction formed) forced me to move out. Had a stockpile of ~70k Ouki with ~90 Ryumaku to back it up. The village generics were up at L9 at that point, easy prey for (bought levels) L15 Reimu & Co.
    Besides we have massive* Dakka with Eiki/Marisa/Jack, so we can let Keine take herself out of the picture her Special and just shoot down everyone else .
    Had no trouble stomping the villagers, though it does leave me exposed to 3 factions at once for the moment. If we go ahead with the plan, a timeskip would be kinda necessary to avoid 15+ dull updates .

Incidentally, would anyone else who has the game be willing to help me confirm the "list" theory? Would be quite useful to have accurate data on Melee/Ranged strenghts & weaknesses. (Of course, now somebody will tell me there is a way to view enemy stats mid-battle . Haven't seen one yet, though.)
    What i'd need is the stat-layout from the members/prison screen (preferrably without Affection bonuses) and the ability name (if any).

*but not 'Enuff. No such thing.

Edit:@V: so it's both true and already known then? Oh well.
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2010-10-28 at 01:46 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162

If not else you could always beat the game and in the extras there is a space to edit character data, which includes all the characters IIRC.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IncoherentEssay View Post
    So so the penalty can be anything from meaningless to crippling then?
    Wonderful .
    Maybe we should take Alice out of the main party, and team her up with all her dolls? Just to avoid the Random Debuff of Doom.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

14. - Top - End - #164
    Banned

I wouldn't recommend it. Would mean also taking Shanghai out of the main party and Shanghai is quite awesome, as well as being utterly adorable.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Firbolg in the Playground

In my play through, I started out by using Alice, her dolls, and generic dolls as sort of second team. They'd either attack/improve or defend while the other characters did the attacking/improving.

As I got more and more characters to use however, they got split up because of the different attack types (ranged vs melee) and used when I felt like it.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

16. - Top - End - #166

Eh, my annoyance with the debuff was mostly that is is impossible to reliably plan around.
    It's a bit early to go double-team assaults quite yet. We don't have enpugh heavy hitters yet. Team Shanghai/Alice/Hourai/Wriggle(?) needs a fifth that doesn't give the enemy easy KOs. I've found generic dolls to be far too fragile for this purpose, sadly.
    Medicine is a pretty decent choice for this with Alice's Doll Master buff (though a bit fluff-wise), though were still a fair few turns off from that anyway.
    Still, two solid recruits could allow us to advance into the double-team leagues .

17. - Top - End - #167
    Firbolg in the Playground

We've got enough characters to do double-teams; Alice doesn't need to be all dolls. Granted, none of the generic characters are that much ahead of the one's we'd fight, but it's still enough to double-team if we wanted too.

The fifth would be someone like Souichirou or Souun. The first only has poor speed and def to worry about (7's for both melee and range) and the second is basically ranged only.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

18. - Top - End - #168

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 31

Spoiler
    Show
    Marisa: Yo.

Aya: Ah, Ms. Marisa Kirisame. It's been quite a while.

Whoa, you remember me?

Once a reporter has investigated a lead, she never forgets it.

As if that's true. Ya failed to reveal the truth on who's the fastest in Gensokyo after all.

My, isn't it a fact? There wasn't anyone I left out, was there?

The one right in front of ya. I ain't gonna run from a battle on who's the fastest. Let's settle this right here!

A human is attempting to compete with me? This could be very interesting. Okay, I accept your challenge!

Great, ya better not throw a tantrum when ya get beat!

Hah, the eventual result is plain for anyone to see!

That's it, I'm definitely gonna make ya cry!

Our next assault against the Human Village brings us to a formidable obstacle: Aya Shameimaru. With a fairly high level and incredible speed, Aya tore into our party right out of the gates, bringing both Wriggle and Marisa down to fairly low health before most of our party even got a chance to act.

Aya is weaker in melee combat, but she makes liberal use of her special, Wind God's Fan, which both deals damage and automatically moves her from Close to Far range, keeping enemies at bay with ease. Shanghai managed to get close for a while, though, and dealt significant damage during that time, finally bringing the Tengu down.

In addition to the advancement of our conquest, we managed to capture an enemy soldier, Sousuke Jinbara. He has pretty good stats for a ranged attacker, with a natural 7 in both RNG and SPD. We may need him more than I had thought, actually...

Akyu: Wow...everyone seems to be working very hard.

All the villagers who were able and willing to fight gathered at the plaza every day for training. Akyu happened to catch a glimpse of them while passing by, and was quickly filled with admiration for them.

Villager: Ah, good afternoon, Lady Akyu. Are you out to do some shopping?

Ah, yes. I am just about to return home.

A young man nearby called out to her. She put her bags of items she bought earlier down as she spoke, partly because the heat of the mid-day sun had made her feel a little dizzy.

Whew...It is rather warm today.

Yes it is. It must be hard on you, Lady Akyu.

Ah, yes...My body is not very durable, unfortunately.

Would you like to join us? Training yourself will help you grow stronger to the effects of the sun as well.

I am afraid that I am not very good at physical exercise...Unlike everyone else here.

She politely turned down the invitation. She much preferred sitting at a desk with a pen in hand.

I see, that's too bad...Aren't you fighting with Ms. Keine and all of us too? Wouldn't that be dangerous?

It may be...But I shall do my best as my body allows.

Hahaha, alright. If things get dangerous, we'll protect you, so don't worry.

Thank you very much.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I ought to be heading back as well. See you again!

The young man with a good physique waved goodbye, and returned to the plaza. A tinge of envy started to develop within Akyu upon seeing all the energetic youths training hard.

They look like they are having fun. I am feeling a little jealous now. But I must not do anything too rash to ensure that the reincarnation goes smoothly.

If by chance, the person holding the legacy dies before preparations were completed, the reincarnation would not be guaranteed. And if the Hieda family were to collapse, who would take over the Gensokyo Chronicles?

...But as impudent as my actions may be...It has been quite fun.

The large-scale event occurring now may be more dangerous than training, but for Akyu, who had never seen such a thing in her present life or her memories, it was an event that she had to participate in.

The human village launches a counterattack on their turn. Against them, we fielded Hourai, Shikieiki, and some generic units. Our enemies were Aya and a squad of human soldiers. In this 5-on-5 match, it soon became obvious that pretty much only one character on either side actually mattered: the powerhouses of Shikieiki and Aya.

Thanks to her immense speed and ranged attack power, Aya started off the fight by dealing 250-300 damage per hit to our generic units, leaving them easy prey for the rest of her team to pick off. Shikieiki, while slower, was also hitting for the same amount, and managed to nearly OHKO several enemies. Due to Aya's speed, her team was able to wreck everyone but Shikieiki in record time. However, with her high stats and level Shikieiki was able to practically solo four enemies all by herself, including Aya. Even when grossly outnumbered, she managed to slowly defeat every last enemy. While the battle guage may have been heavily in our opponent's favor for most of the battle, defeating all enemies automatically means a victory for us regardless of what the guage had read just before the end.

Unfortunately, this proved to be a rather pyrrhic victory.

We lose two of our members in this battle. Admittedly, they weren't particularly important members, but that could still be somewhat costly at this point in the game. Hopefully, the guy we captured earlier could make up for this in part.

Marisa: Hey, did ya hear? Or rather, did ya read?

Reimu: About what?

This thing was delivered to my house.

Marisa's hand fidgeted with her skirt for a while, before it eventually threw a rolled-up piece of paper towards Reimu.

...Ah, this...Where did you just pull that from?

It was convenient. Best for ya not to think about it. From your reaction, I'm gonna guess that she came over here too?

Uh-huh, she landed a clean hit on my head. Hmph, she'd be sorry if my brain got damaged from that.

Who knows, maybe a good whack would make it work better...Okay okay, my bad, now put that spellcard away!

You always love to say more than is necessary, don't you?

Reimu then stuffed the spellcard back into her shrine maiden outfit through the neck.

And where do ya keep YOUR stuff, huh? Well, that ain't a big deal anyway. More importantly, someone sure has guts. She can't declare herself the fastest.

Marisa exaggeratedly slapped the newspaper with the back ofher hand as she spoke. Just when did someone have to get permission to talk about who the fastest was?

It's not like you have a monopoly on that title.

Whatever ya say, this line is definitely her way of callin' me out. It's only gonna be right to take up on anyone who picks a fight with me.

...Well, feel free to do your best, as long as it doesn't become a headache for me.

Reimu thought that Marisa would act against orders when she was as fired up as that, so she readied a little motivation in terms of a brandished needle to keep her in line.

Turn: 31
    Ouki: 9785
    Ryumaku: 30/62

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine

Night-Blind Road

Faintly Dark Path

Magic Forest Entrance
    Cost to Develop: 21 RES

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior

Road of Reconsideration

Muenzuka

Enemy Territories:

Human Village
    Defense: 130/310

Prisoners:

Sousuke Jinbara - Good ranged stats, excellent speed.
    Special: Human Harmer, increases damage dealt to humans.
    Level: 7
    HP: 350
    MEL: 4
    RNG: 7
    DEF: 1
    WIS: 5
    SPD: 7
    RES: 2
    NEG: 5
    Cost: 2
    Requires 9 NEG to recruit.

What a day! We lost two members, but also captured someone with pretty nice stats. I suppose recruiting this guy is a foregone conclusion, eh?

I'm starting to think that with Aya being this much of a threat, we should probably replace Wriggle with Shikieiki in our main assault party, just to ensure that we can at least win the attacks that we know we must do, and hope for the best in regards to any counterattacks.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2011-09-06 at 03:43 PM.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

19. - Top - End - #169

Yeah, making the main team a proper steamroller is IMO the option to go with. Every time i've had any team waiting on the defense, the enemy has refrained from attacking. Waste of a team really. So go with Reimu/Marisa/Shanghai/Alice/Eiki on the offense.

I actually tend to forfeit defensive battles, -80 generally takes longer to lose a territory than the potential -100. I do this mostly because AI gets to spam their top units in every battle .
    No point to send generics to be lolstomp'd by, say Aya/Keine combo, or the later named characters. The occasional forfeit loss is more than offset by the relatively frequent 100 point victories the assault team achieves.

On the double-teams, whilst we do have just about enough in numbers, there is the economic viability to consider.
    A single steamroller team can grab 100 pt victories with minimal damage. Splitting the power players into two teams not only downgrades that into 2x ~60 or less, but also risks losing one or both of the assaults and the corresponding action for no benefit. Thus costing us a development in the process.
    We would also have to finance healing for two teams, both of which are taking more damage than the steamroller team would take.
    So i'd say it's not quite yet the time for two teams.

The viability of the double-team is severely hampered by the AI's ability to spam their top units, though. So if the AI had to play by the same rules as us, it would be far more viable as a strategy.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Pixie in the Playground

I tried to play the game but it's gives me en error...I used applocale and it also didnt let me...and it's updated and have the english patch.

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by Tomion View Post
    I tried to play the game but it's gives me en error...I used applocale and it also didnt let me...and it's updated and have the english patch.
    Deranged, the guy who translated and patched the game, usually frequents the Pooshlmer and Maidens of the Kaleidoscope threads for the game. If you post details of your error there, you'll probably find someone to help you out, or you may see that someone else asked the same question earlier. If it's a unique new error, Deranged may even write up a new patch to fix it (he's done it two or three times already).

Pooshlmer Sengoku Gensokyo thread
    MotK Sengoku Gensokyo thread

Watch out for spoilers in both threads, if you're bothered by that kind of thing.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Banned

Yeah, we should definitely get that guy. We should also largely just focus on a solid offense, so i support Reimu/Marisa/Alice/Shanghai/Shikieiki as out offensive team.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

+1 vote for recruiting Sousuke. And is Sousuke actually a guy? I thought that portrait looked more like a female's to me.

What happened to Souichirou? I would've thought that a 7 in both Melee and Ranged (and Wisdom IIRC) would make up for that 1 in Defense to get him a spot on that heavy-hitter team. He even has that Youkai Hunter ability, so he could do quite some damage to Aya with some good/lucky positioning. If the relatively low level is the problem, you could just Ouki-raise him a bit.
    Last edited by EifieFlare; 2010-10-29 at 01:50 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Banned

Hey, you're right. I believe that this Sousuke has one of the female faces...Which is greatly harmful to a world view where Sousuke has previously only meant "crazy child soldier who blows things up all the time, causing trouble for his sorta-girlfriend".

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Hey, you're right. I believe that this Sousuke has one of the female faces...Which is greatly harmful to a world view where Sousuke has previously only meant "crazy child soldier who blows things up all the time, causing trouble for his sorta-girlfriend".

26. - Top - End - #176
    Pixie in the Playground

ok so..yeah here a picture of what happen when I try to play without applocale:
    http://img13.imageshack.us/i/error1x.png/

and heres what happen with applocale:
    http://img340.imageshack.us/i/error2z.png/

I'll post is on pooshlmer too

27. - Top - End - #177

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    According to the portrait files, that's actually one of the human male portraits. All the human female portraits have either long hair or short twintails.

Relatively speaking, I think the generic male Youkai portraits are even more feminine-looking. I didn't even know there were male Youkai units until I checked the portrait files after Extra mode was unlocked.

28. - Top - End - #178

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 32

Spoiler
    Show
    No longer tolerating our aggression, Keine decides that it's now time for her to take to the field.

BGM: Plain Asia ~ Sengoku Arr. ~

We immediately target Aya as the number one threat, and beat her down with our best attackers regardless of range. The three humans that accompanied them likewise went down quickly, although Reimu went down during the crossfire. During the few turns that we spent defeating them, though, Keine scored heavy hits and took barely any damage in return. Soon after, she was the only one standing on the enemy's field, yet she had over half of her team's counter guage all for herself to use. We expend everything we have, yet still couldn't defeat Keine and her immense defenses. We could only watch as she steadily chipped away at our lead. Miraculously, she failed to KO anyone else, although she came pretty close.

We manage a moderate victory, and also pick up an item drop: another Book of Wisdom.

Sousuke Jinbara became an ally.

Akyu: Ms. Keine, we have an emergency~!

Keine was at the elementary school, enjoying the peace and quiet of after-hours. But that calmness was broken to pieces by the worried voice of Akyu.

Keine: It's rare to see you so distressed, Lady Akyu...What's going on?

Please come with me and see it for yourself!

H-Hey...Alright, no need to drag me...

Akyu stopped trying to drag Keine along, and instead started to run. Keine followed behind her, trying not to lose track of her. They quickly reached a place with a large crowd of people.

Over there!

Hm, what's happening here?

They pushed their way through the people to the center. They could hear voices of anger, mixed with a certain familiar voice. They eventually reached the center, and found Aya and some villagers quarreling.

Villager #1: Why you...Care to repeat that!?

Aya: As many times as you like. You weak humans will only be a burden on a superior youkai like myself. I do not need assistance from any of you.

Villager #2: How dare you insult us like that...!

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]I'm in this army as a result of a fair trade that benefits both sides. I'm not obligated to care about what humans think. And don't you think you all being angry at my opinion is meaningless without actions to back it up? Do any of you think you can match my speed?

Villager #3: Ugh...

I'm not hearing any responses. See? Just me alone is enough.

.....That's how it's been...

...This has clearly gone much too far.

Hearing a few lines of this argument was more than enough to figure out why Akyu was so worried. With a large sigh, Keine stepped up and stood firmly between the two parties.

What do you all think you're doing? Kindly stop at once.

Villager #1: Ah, Ms. Keine! Please listen, this youkai has been badmouthing us over and over...

It is not badmouthing, I am simply stating the facts.

Don't bother, I can already tell what's going on.

Keine waved the villager away, grimacing. Whether she thought the matter was annoying or not, she did her best not to outwardly display it.

...Let's start with you.

Keine swiveled towards Aya. Aya looked as proud and haughty as ever, full of self-confidence and belief that all she said was true.

Reasons and objectives aside, it'll be a huge problem if you cannot cooperate with everyone involved in this event.

Weak humans will only be a burden to me. Let me fight alone, and my effectiveness, as well as our chance of winning, will increase tremendously.

Villager #2: That birdo has been like that the whole time, Lady Keine. She just keeps going on and on as she likes about how we're weak and useless.

You do not address a lady so rudely, thank you very much.

Crow: Caw! Caw!

A crow sat on Aya's shoulder, presumably being her familiar. It crowed at the villager, as if jeering at him.

Villager #3: Damnit, even a crow is making fun of us...!

I know already, so quit it!

Keine quickly held the two villagers back, not wanting the fight to restart. But what could be done here...? As she mulled over what to do, Aya made an interesting proposal.

If you do not understand through words, then perhaps actions would work better. If the pen does not work, then let us move on to the sword.

What do you mean?

Let's play a game of tag.

............What?

Aya's words caught Keine off-guard, and all she and the villagers could do was blurt out a surprised response. Aya ignored all of them and continued with her proposal.

I take great pride in my speed. I am the fastest in Gensokyo, after all. I will not accept the thought of any of you laying a finger on me. If a miracle happens and I am caught, I will be quiet and do as I'm told. But otherwise, I will continue to do as I please.

Villager #1: Of course you pick the game that you have the biggest advantage in!

That's natural in the world of battles. Of course, I wouldn't lose to a human in any battle, but this will be more peaceful than a danmaku battle or a fistfight.

Hmm...Well, that is reasonable, but...

You can refuse if you wish, of course. But I will treat it as a no-contest victory on my end.

Aya's constant provocation, combined with most of the villagers being quite passionate, led to the villagers wanting to accept her challenge. They would not take her words lying down.

Villager #2: Hmph, let's do this! We'll show you!

Villager #3: Yeah! As long as Ms. Keine agrees to it.

Hm...Fine, as long as both parties agree to it, I'll allow it. But I want no future trouble regardless of who wins or loses.

She's right, you all will need to be obedient and listen to me~.

Villager #1: You think you've won already...? You'll pay for that!

I have only one rule. Neither side are allowed to leave the village for the duration of the game. Is that acceptable?

Understood. Let's begin!

Aya immediately took to the skies as the words came out of her mouth. She then sped downwards to hover right above the ground. The villagers tried to give chase, but she would fly upwards when they got close.

Mm, flying in the sky feels so good~!

Villager #3: Come down here, you!

Whoops!

A villager was about to grab her ankle, but a swift flight upwards easily dodge the attempt.

Villager #2: ...Why you!

Such simple tactics won't work on me.

Another villager tried to sneak up behind her, but she easily slipped away just as he was about to pounce.

Villager #1: Wait, damnit!

What kind of youkai would wait just because you told her to~?

Yet another villager tried to chase after Aya at full speed, but Aya simply left him in her dust. The gap between the abilities of the two sides was evident...It was like a battle between a man and a baby.

Oh dear...This is not much of a contest at all...

It's quite worrying...But there isn't much we can do.

It was true that Aya was important to their war effort. But all the cons she also brought with her made that practically meaningless. The proud crow tengu would normally never cooperate with mere humans.

...This is getting boring. You're all just wasting your time, you know.

Villager #1: *pant pant*...S-Shaddup!

15 minutes had passed. Not a single one of the villagers were able to catch Aya. There were many curious onlookers at first, but they quickly lost interest, and only Keine and Akyu remained.

Well, I suppose this was expected...No human can match a crow tengu's speed.

But at this rate...

Akyu was worried that if this ended up as a complete victory for Aya, she would no longer listen to orders and act completely of her own accord. The villagers would not be amused, and the foundations of cooperation and understanding between humans and youkai would crumble away. At the very least, Akyu wanted to avoid that outcome.

Geez, no matter how hard you try, it's useless!

Aya flew off into the distance in an instant, leaving her words behind. As Aya's figure shrunk smaller and smaller, the villagers similarly lost their willpower and energy to chase after her.

And so it ends...

...Just when Keine and the villagers were about to give up, Akyu unexpectedly opened her mouth.

Um...Ms. Keine, may I lend my assistance?

Hm? Ah, that shouldn't be a problem, but...Forgive my impoliteness, but I don't think you can do anything to help at this point...

What Keine had said seemed all too true, but Akyu answered with a worry-free smile.

I believe we spoke about this matter before. The difference between victory and defeat is knowledge...so just leave this to me. Excuse me, everyone!

As a plan began to form in Akyu's mind, she called the surprised villagers over, and gave each and every one of them a specific set of instructions to follow.

...I have...So, everyone will...

Villager #3: I see...Will we really be able to pull that off, though?

I do not know...And we will never know if we do not try. I will be right back, Ms. Keine.

With those words, the people that Akyu instructed went off in different directions. Akyu herself ran off to somewhere unknown as well.

Ah-ah, how boring. You all wouldn't even be able to beat a newborn baby tengu like this.

Aya was floating at the sky over the edge of the village, idly grumbling. The thought of humans possibly beating her never crossed her mind, but she expected them to put up a much better fight.

Perhaps I should have talked with Ms. Akyu from the beginning and avoided all this silly nonsense.

Aya started talking to her crow familiar, nesting on her stomach. The crow replied with a cry...but it then started flapping its wings furiously.

Crow: Caw!

Huh? What's wrong?

Crow: Caaaw!

Ah, hey, wait!

The crow ignored Aya's orders and shot like an arrow to its target. Aya chased after it, and discovered a glittering light on the ground that had caught its attention.

Crow: Caaaw!

As the crow approached the light, the closely-following Aya identified it as glass fragments and a ball made of glass, presumably a child's toy. The crow happily picked them up with his beak and played with them.

Now now, don't be greedy, you'll embarass me. I don't remember these things being here though...Ah!

Villager #1: Now!

Aya realized something was odd, and tried to grab her crow and return to the sky, but the net was already falling from overhead. The crow's feet and wings became entangled as it cried pitifully.

Crow: Cawww?! Cawww!!

Ahh, geez...You deal with that yourself!

Villager #2: There!

Ack!

Aya gave up on saving the crow and was about to take to the skies again, when another net was thrown at her. She just barely dodged it and was trying to regain her composure, when...

Villager #3: How do you like this!?

W-Wait...Gaaah!

BGM: Roll Back ~ From Now

A third net was thrown right after. Aya could not escape it, and her ankle became entwined around the net as they both fell to the ground. She hurriedly tried to free her ankle, but someone grabbed her from behind.

...There, you are caught. Victory is ours.

Hm, that was quite a battle.

The villagers surrounding Aya erupted in cheers and shouts of joy as Keine and Akyu declared their victory. But Aya was still unable to accept her defeat, and started to protest loudly.

This kind of sneak attack is unfair! It's so sly!

A loss is a loss. Take your defeat with grace.

I did not lose, no one was able to catch up to me!

Get over yourself!

Wha...!?

It may be true that individually, humans are no match for you. But that is only the case in a one-on-one matchup.

Ooh...But, you see...

No matter how strong you are, if the enemy has numbers and brains on their side, you will be exposed like just now. Power alone means nothing!

Ooh.........Okay, okay! Fine! I lost!

So now, you shall fight alongside the villagers without any complaints, understood?

Understood! The proud crow tengu never go back on a promise!

Aya managed to force the words out. The surrounding villagers went wild at her admission of defeat. Aya could not go against them any longer, so she instead directed her anger at the crow still caught in the net.

You...stupid crow! How could you fall for such a simple trick!? I'm going to sell you to a grilled chicken stand!

Crow: Caw!? Cawww!

Dear me...I have to admit, though, that was quite a plan, Lady Akyu.

Yes, I asked everyone to look for items that reflected light to act as a lure...It is the nature of a crow to be attracted to light, after all.

It would be nice if she learned from this experience...

The villagers, Akyu, and even Keine would have no chance of winning a direct one-on-one fight against Aya. But that is why allies and knowledge exist. With both of those, Aya would not have been caught. Youkai were generally loners who preferred to work alone. To Keine, humans being the exact opposite was what made them wonderful.

Turn: 32
    Ouki: 10999
    Ryumaku: 33/63

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine

Night-Blind Road

Faintly Dark Path

Magic Forest Entrance

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior

Road of Reconsideration

Muenzuka

Enemy Territories:

Human Village
    Defense: 55/310
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-10-29 at 07:50 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
    I take great pride in my speed. I am the fastest in Gensokyo, after all. I will not accept the thought of any of you laying a finger on me. If a miracle happens and I am caught, I will be quiet and do as I'm told. But otherwise, I will continue to do as I please.
    You know you've read too many doujins when you read this and have to forcibly extract your mind from the gutter afterwards.

Ahem. Anyway.

So the HVC's only territory has only 55 Defense left? Move in for the kill, I say.
    Of course, knowing my tropes, I doubt it will be that easy.

30. - Top - End - #180

I'm expecting a subversion, actually. They'll probably swap a generic for Akyu, who is good only at Neg and walling ranged, being more of an anchor in combat . With a bit of luck, Keine removes herself from combat with History Concealer (Marisa, Alice and Eiki care not for thy Def) so we can just shoot Aya in the face, whomp the generics and prance onwards to glorious victory . Or not. We'll see.

Since we might not have an enemy immediately after victory, i say we Res up the Forest Interior and the Road of Reconsideration a bit. No point in developing the village though, we might have to trade it back-and-forth with the later factions. Better to get our Ryumaku elsewhere.
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2010-10-30 at 03:49 AM.