New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Conquering the Fantasy Kitchen Sink - Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo!

I say we go after Medicine. Her poison ability will probably be useful in the later battles. As for Cirno's army, save the strongest for last.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 37

Spoiler
    Show
    Yuuka: A letter from Reimu? I wonder how badly it will rain today...My, they were actually brave enough to declare war first, I see. That saves us some time, at least. This will be a good opportunity to beat them up to tiny pieces of pulp.

Medicine: Y-You're being scary...

Reimu is a very important human, you know? If you can beat her, I'm sure you'll get much closer to your goal of liberating all the dolls.

Huh, is that so? That's all the motivation I need then! She wasn't really strong when we last met, so this should be easy!

It's time for some payback after all this while. I'll make them regret they ever made an enemy of me!

Yeah!

"Doll Liberation Front" - War has been declared.

Yuuka: ...So you've come, Reimu. Have you been doing well?

Reimu: I would be doing even better if you didn't show up.

Oh my, what a greeting.

This time, I'll exorcise you properly, and make sure the remains are burned so that a ghost won't come out~.

Unfortunately for you, lightning won't strike twice. I'll show you power even more fearsome than ghosts!

BGM: Faint Dream ~ Inanimate Dream ~ Sengoku Arr. ~

Yuuka is one character in this game that you absolutely must not underestimate. Despite not even being her army's leader, she is far more of a threat than Medicine can possibly be. Boasting an incredibly high level and enormous offensive stats, she hits like a speeding train. Thankfully, she isn't as fast as one.

Normally, I like leaving at least a few powerhouse characters back to defend in case we get attacked again, but with Yuuka, we cannot afford such a luxury. Fielding every one of our best characters, we blitz her as fast as possible with Aya, Marisa, and Shikieiki (who equipped the Hurricane Wing, as you'll recall). Similar to the situation with Aya, the four other generic units in Yuuka's party can be ignored completely compared to the danger that Yuuka represents. Only by weakening Yuuka as much as possible could we expect to capture this domain.

Letty: Ahhh...The kid can be a little helpful sometimes.

Letty had Cirno created a snow hut on the lake's surface, letting her enjoy the coolness inside. She started to get sleepy, which wasn't surprising: she would usually be sleeping at this time.

Ahh, so sleepy...Honestly, what am I doing here? I should've just sent her away then...And furthermore, thanks to her, more of the little ones keep joining...Which means...I'm the only youkai here, geez!

Letty was starting to get herself riled up. The walls of ice reflected her voice back at her, making her words reverberate throughout her own body. As she covered her ears, still seething with resentment, she looked up to the sky to see the source of all her headaches making a fuss about something or other overhead.

Daiyousei: Waaait, Ciiirno!

Cirno: Hey hey, over here~!

Luna: You can't run now! Give back Star's ribbon!

Bah, I was just borrowing it for a bit! Cuz it's really big.

Sunny: What? Big!? And don't use her ribbon to tie up your frogs!

It's fine, they're frozen! I'm just using it to carry them around.

That isn't the problem! And if that's all you wanted to do, why not use your own skirt?!

No way, it'll get wet.

W-Why you!

So I'm gonna borrow it for a little longer. Bye by...Ow!

Cirno turned around to see who hit her, and there stood Letty.

Letty! That hurt!

You should behave yourself! Now, return that ribbon!

...Okaaaay.

After being scolded by Letty, Cirno reluctantly handed the ribbon back to the two fairies.

Erm, thanks, Ms. Lucky.

It's Letty!

We'll bring this back to Star. Thanks a lot, Poochie!

I'm not a dog!...Bah, there they go.

You shouldn't do those kinds of pranks, Cirno.

I don't wanna hear that from you.

Pranks need to be more crazy to be fun! Like we could sneak up on Luna while she's sleeping, then hide some sweets into her hair!

Ah, that sounds awesome! Let's do that tonight!

Then when she wakes up in the morning, she'll complain about her head feeling heavy! Ahahaha!

...The two of them completely forgot about Letty's scolding, and flew off to plan their next prank. The remaining Letty sighed while putting her palm to her face.

...I don't ask for much, just be quiet at least...I can't relax at all otherwise!

Yuuka: Sunflowers just like our sun~, gazing into the sky~, A Yuuka just like our sun~, makes sunflowers turn away~.

Medicine: What kind of song is that?

It's a song to help my cute little things grow. It's quite famous, you know.

I've never heard of it.

Mm, I suppose it's natural for a doll to be unable to understand culture.

Yuuka exaggeratedly made a show out of reaching into her pocket and producing a single seed. She then proceeded to bury it into the soil.

What're you burying?

It's a sunflower seed. It was left over from last year, and I thought it might be lonely, so I kept it with me.

Wouldn't it be worse to keep it in a dark, gloomy place? It wouldn't be able to bloom into a flower now.

My, just wait and see. Now now...If you don't grow a flower sprout really soon...I don't think you want to know what will happen.

Yuuka waved her hand over the spot she buried the seed into, all the while singing some sort of curse. A single, healthy-looking sprout suddenly emerged, and quickly grew as big as its neighbours.

W-Wooow! You can do something like this!? That's amazing!

My, your happiness is infectious.

Hey, can you make Ms. Su sprout flowers as well?

Ms. Su?

Ah, I meant the suzuran at the hill over there...Some of them aren't doing very well, so I'll be glad if you can make them bloom...

Hmm...I think it's better not to do so.

Ehh? Why not? Don't be so stingy...

Who are you calling a stingy, bottom-class youkai whom no one can rely on?

I didn't go that far...

Hmph, fine...Anyway, I could make them bloom...But they've bloomed already, correct? Flowers bloom, then spread their seeds, storing their energy for the next time they shall bloom again. They're just waiting for the next season.

I see...Okay, I'll wait for the next flower-blooming season!

That's good, I don't mind being around obedient kids.

I'm gonna go see how Ms. Su is doing! Bye bye!

Medicine fully accepted Yuuka's explanation, and waved goodbye before flying off.

Was she that obedient when we last met...? They really do grow up so fast when you aren't looking. You all should try to match her enthusiasm, mm?

Yuuka continued to wander merrily about the field of sunflowers.

Alice: Y-You're...Have I finally found it...!?

Medicine: Huh? Who are you?

I-If I may ask a little question...Are you moving because of someone's magic?

What are you talking about? I'm me. I can make poison from Ms. Su come out from my body though!

I knew it...! There are no strings, and I can't feel an magical power...so this girl is moving under her own power!

Hey, stop with the weird muttering and answer my question already. Who are you?

Me? I'm Alice Margatroid, a magician and dollmaster. May I have your name?

A dollmaster...So those dolls beside you are controlled by you?

Ehh? Well, yes...

...Who would've thought a chance would come so quickly! For the liberation of all dolls, I will take you down!

H-Huh? Ehh...!? Geez, I don't know what you're so angry about, but have it your way!

The Doll Liberation Front retaliates with an attack on the Human Village. I know for a fact that if Yuuka chooses to attack with them, she'll easily tear her way through whomever I choose to field. Luckily, since we didn't develop this past turn, we still have plenty of units available, so I used some of them to run a scouting mission on the enemy. After making sure that Yuuka isn't amongst the attackers, I agree to meet their attack.

Medicine herself isn't that dangerous. All you need to remember is to avoid getting close to her, as her special ability will debuff anyone who tries to attack at close range. Alice and her two dolls were sufficient to hand Medicine a sound defeat, although Wriggle's own brand of poison surely helped as well.

Turn: 37
    Ouki: 6168
    Ryumaku: 49/73
    Actions Available: 2

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine
    Defense: 250/250
    Cost to Develop: 24 RES

Night-Blind Road
    Defense: 160/160
    Cost to Develop: 27 RES

Faintly Dark Path
    Defense: 175/175
    Cost to Develop: 33 RES

Magic Forest Entrance
    Defense: 180/180
    Cost to Develop: 30 RES

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior
    Defense: 210/210
    cost to Develop: 9 RES

Road of Reconsideration
    Defense: 190/190
    Cost to Develop: 15 RES

Muenzuka
    Defense: 215/215
    Cost to Develop: 6 RES

Human Village
    Defense: 310/310
    Cost to Develop: 12 RES

Enemy Territories:

Misty Lake
    Army: Strongest Fairy Army
    General: Cirno (leader)
    Defense: 225/225

Lost Bamboo Forest
    Army: Eientei Forest
    General: Reisen Udongein Inaba
    Defense: 205/205

Eientei
    General: Kaguya Houraisan (leader)
    Defense: 230/230

Garden of the Sun
    Army: Doll Liberation Front
    General: Yuuka Kazami
    Defense: 75/175

Nameless Hill
    General: Medicine Melancholy (leader)

Special Events

War Declaration: Eientei Forest
    Costs 10 NEG to declare war.

This is the first time we were at war with at least two factions, isn't it? Well, it was going to happen eventually, since if we didn't declare war on Medicine's group, she probably would within another turn or so. Eientei's considerably more mellow, while Hakugyokurou has yet to form. The only thing we need to worry about now is an attack from both the Strongest Fairy Army and the Doll Liberation Front in one turn. I'd rather face the former than the latter though, since Yuuka can show up anywhere, and she alone is probably deadlier than Cirno's entire team. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if even our best team lost to her at some point, since all it takes is one very unlucky opening positioning set.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

3. - Top - End - #213
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
    I'd rather face the former than the latter though, since Yuuka can show up anywhere, and she alone is probably deadlier than Cirno's entire team. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if even our best team lost to her at some point, since all it takes is one very unlucky opening positioning set.[/spoiler]
    Oh so true, and what a pain unlucky positioning can be. I've had that exact team (minus Reimu, instead a generic) beaten soundly just because Shiki, Aya, and Marisa all ended up in Close/Medium range for Yuuka to whack. At least for you it'd get a cutscene though.

What's it take for a unit to get an affection bonus? I know you can get them from chatting in the Events tab and after battles, but I can't see any sort of patterns for the battling method. I've gotten two for a unit within a couple battles of each other before while some units haven't gotten even one yet.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Banned

I say continue to try and deal with the DLF. Also make sure that Shanghai or Hourai fight Medicine at some point, i'm sure they'd bring a special scene along. Really i don't think there is all that much to say at this point.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Barbarian in the Playground

Seems like i forgot how hardcore Yuuka can be on the enemy team because of her Redemption Demotion when recruited.
    Luckily their generics seem to be weak as tissue paper.
    The other good use for scouting i know of is checking for Named-Character-Affection-Steamrollers, as exemplified by the Hakugyokurou team. I got lucky enough to capture a generic with Pressure skill, so knowing when to field it is handy, especially if making multiple assaults/turn.

Edit: they do, at least Shanghai.
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2010-11-02 at 04:46 AM.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

6. - Top - End - #216
    Banned

Yeah, i know. I'm not sure if they share one, Hourai has her own or if she get nothing. But i do know that there is at least one and that one can be triggered by Shanghai.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

Both Shanghai and Hourai get a cutscene with Medicine (it actually might be the same one; I can't speak from experience since I didn't get either one), although theirs have no special effects later on in the game. Deploying Alice against Medicine actually gets you an event later on in the game, but I'm not sure if that has any special effects either.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Banned

It gives a really nice, touching scene at least. That should be worth something.

9. - Top - End - #219

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 38

Spoiler
    Show
    We take the Garden of the Sun in one more attack. Yuuka puts up a valiant fight, as even when she's at nearly half health, she still hits with immense force.

BGM: Faint Dream ~ Inanimate Dream ~ Sengoku Arr. ~

However, a single super-star isn't quite enough to carry an entire army. They may have one strong member, but we've got several. Using the same idea as before, we take the time to get our ranged attackers out of Yuuka's melee range and bombard her with quick spells, more or less ignoring the rest of her entourage. This turns out to be enough for victory.

Yuuka: Ahh, my beautiful sunflowers have been trampled upon by Reimu's army!

Medicine: Ugh, how could this be!?

In any case, let's retreat for now. There is still...yes, the Nameless Hill.

I hope Ms. Su doesn't get frightened from all the humans and youkai coming. If it was the best season of all, I could just poison them all too...

...Would you like me to use my power? I can generate quite a lot of poison...

Hmm...Let's not. I don't want Ms. Su to be overworked either.

Alright...Let's retreat from this area, then. A veeeery scary shrine maiden will capture you if you're not quick about it.

Wahh, I hate scary stuff!

Reimu, I'll remember this!

BGM: Pranked!

Cirno: Heeey, let's go freeze some frogs!

Daiyousei: Ehhh? I can't do weird things to frogs like you can, so it's booooring.

Hmm, then let's go see the giant toad at the mountain!

Ah, I want to see that! But it's kinda far, will we get scolded again?

If you're always so worried about things like that, you'll never do anything!

I just don't wanna be scolded again~. That youkai is really scary when she's angry.

I guess she'd be angry, huh? It'll have been awesome if she came along too...Then, let's think up of some new pranks.

A-greed! Let's see...How about when a human is fishing, you freeze the fish before they can reel it in?

We did that already...it was fun, but I got all wet afterwards and it sucked.

Hmm...I know! When a human starts to fish, freeze the hook before he catches anything! He'll then reel it up, and the ice block will hit him in the head!

That sounds cool! But I don't wanna dive into the water, I'll get all wet again.

How about if you take off your clothes?

I don't wanna go that far for a prank.

Boo, stop thinking about this and that and just do it!

Don't be so unreasonable, what do you think I am!?

Huuuh, aren't you supposed to be the strongest? Yet you can't do something simple like that?

Ooh...Y-Yeah, I'm the strongest, so getting wet isn't a problem, but...

Okay! Let's start practicing then!

Huh? P-Practice?

If you don't practice, you might mess up when a human comes to fish, you know. C'mon, go give it a try!

O-Okay already! ...Hyah!

Pfff! *cough cough*...Now that I think about it, since when does something like this need training!?

Hehe...Ahahahahahahaha! You're dripping wet, Cirno! Ahahahahaha...

...You were...H-How dare you trick me!!

Wah~, don't get mad~! It was just a little prank~!

Shut up, shut up! Take this!

Ahhh! Don't throw ice, it hurts, it huuuurts!

Letty: ...Please let me sleep in peace...

The fairies once again mount an assault on the human village. Their strength still hasn't improved, though, so our reserve members still had little trouble taking them down. Even with Star Sapphire's ability to shift the battle guage greatly in their favor at the beginning, we still fight back bit by bit and overwhelm them with superior firepower.

The Nameless Hill, avoided by human and youkai alike. A lonely and quiet place, with the grass rustling from the wind providing the only audible sound. It was where Medicine awakened long ago, and where she still lived.

Medicine: I wonder...what should I do to liberate all the dolls? Hey, Ms. Su? What do you think I should do?

The suzuran simply swayed with the wind, providing no answers.

It's kinda hard to liberate them when I'm the only doll who moves by myself. Otherwise, there's only non-moving dolls and controlled dolls.

Hey Ms. Su, if I liberate the dolls from the humans, will they happily come with me?

The suzuran continued to sway left and right, as if they were answering that they didn't know.

You don't know, huh? I don't either. But maybe...Maybe if I get stronger, and my heart gets bigger, then everyone will start to follow me.

Her mutterings disappeared into the air. She didn't like to mope around or think to much, so she decided to just take things as they come, one at a time.

Hm...Well, I'm not gonna get anything done if I think too much! I'll just do like that lady in Ms. Su's colors said, and make lots of allies. Cheer for me okay, Ms Su? I gotta do something by the time the next season comes...I'll do my best for the liberation of all dolls!

The lecture that Eiki gave was starting to change her outlook, slowly, but surely...But she still had not yet felt the pain of setbacks and frustration.

Our worst situation came up: an attack from both the Strongest Fairy Army and the Doll Liberation Front in a single turn. With almost no good fighters left to fend off the second assault, we have no choice but to accept the loss.

Turn: 38
    Ouki: 8630
    Ryumaku: 49/77

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine

Night-Blind Road

Faintly Dark Path

Magic Forest Entrance

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior

Road of Reconsideration
    Cost to Develop: 18 RES

Muenzuka

Human Village

Garden of the Sun
    Defense: 95/175
    Cost to Develop: 9

Enemy Territories:

Misty Lake

Lost Bamboo Forest

Eientei

Nameless Hill

Special Events

Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-11-02 at 11:43 PM.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

10. - Top - End - #220
    Firbolg in the Playground

Finish them! The sooner Doll Liberation Front is gone, the easier it will be; no need to worry about Yuuka then.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Banned

Yeah, we want to defeat the dolls before we do anything else. But i still think we should have either Shanghai or Hourai fight Medicine at least once, and possibly both to see if they have a scene each. I mean it ultimately doesn't provide anything more than the scene itself, but it is still nice to get.

Then once that is done, we need to discipline those little children by the lake.

12. - Top - End - #222

Yep, stomp some dolls and go after SDM next (Fairies? Oh, right. That roadblock.) Eientei has all the time in the world to wait anyway .
    We can afford one more attack on the Garden, so let's press onwards. The Fairies harass the Village and need at least 4 assaults to take it even if we forfeit each and every time. So maybe pull double-assault on the DLF if you think the B-team is up to the challenge.
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2010-11-03 at 01:44 PM.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

13. - Top - End - #223
    Orc in the Playground

Both offensive options seem pretty risky at the moment. If we're lucky, they won't attack the Garden on one turn and we'd be able to finish off the army with no territorial losses, but that leaves it all up to whether the computer decides to attack. We could try and pull off a double assault, but if we suffer a loss then that could potentially delay us another turn, not to mention we'd be defenseless for further possible counterattacks from both sides.

I think we should just carry on with our star team attacking, letting the Village territory suffer any losses it might take, and defend the Garden with our backup team. If the backups can successfully defend even once, then we should be able to defeat the Front before they can take the Garden. If need be though, we could just repel the army from the Garden with our main team and take a one-turn delay. We'd still get experience from it so it wouldn't be a total waste.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Banned

Yeah, double attacking is kinda dangerous if we don't know that we can win both times and defeat the DLF in the process. We don't want to mess around when Yuuka is involved.

15. - Top - End - #225

Hm, it's likely my perception of the threath the DLF presents is screwed by the whole "ton of bought lvls + Yuyuko/Youmu" approach i could take to it .

Still, we won't actually lose anything (other than cash) if we go all-out assault once. Even if they go for the Garden, we won't lose it quite yet and can counter-assault with B-team.
    What's a LP without a few silly risks and setbacks ?
    Admittedly, i'd normally advocate a more measured approach but were currently in a horrible pinch with three factions to deal with and the Hakugyokurou timer ticking in the background. Getting out of that asap seems to be for the best.
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2010-11-03 at 03:55 PM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

Reimu and Marisa lead out team. We must think like Reimu and Marisa.

Danmaku first, worry never. Note that even if we leave ourselves completely defenseless, unless Eientei chooses this precise moment to declare and attack us, there is actually no chance of us losing our border territories, since the DLF and SFA are attacking different erritories. So yeah, take stupid risks. Get some flowers for the flower throne.
    Also, Terra has piqued my interest in that Shanghai/Medi scene.

Alternatively, I guess you could play it safe for now and only double-assault when you have the Nameless Hill down to enough defense for you to actually take it in two assaults.
    Last edited by Jm2c; 2010-11-03 at 04:09 PM.

17. - Top - End - #227

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 39

Spoiler
    Show
    Medicine: Hm? Aren't you...dolls? There are dolls like me around!?

Shanghai: ......?

Huh...Someone's controlling these dolls. Boo, aren't there any other dolls who can move on their own like me?

......*flap flap*

It seems they're being treated really well though...Are you two happy? You can't answer, huh? *sigh*...

BGM: Poison Body ~ Forsaken Doll ~ Sengoku Arr. ~

We attack the Nameless Hill, expecting to meet quite a challenge with both Medicine and Yuuka holding down the fort. However, we were quite surprised when greeted by a third PoFV character that happened to join their group.

We take a heavy beating at first. Yuuka strikes Shanghai for nearly all her HP, while Komachi lands a very lucky Higan Ferrier on Reimu when she was still at full health. Shikieiki and Alice mounted a strong comeback, though, and turn after turn of powerful ranged attacks would take their toll on our foes. Still, this was a hard-earned victory.

No captures, though. I kind of want to take Komachi.

Sunny: Hey, Cirno! I wanna ask you something.

Cirno: What?

Luna: It seems we'll be living here for awhile...

Star: So we were going to make a house here...Are there any good trees around?

There's lots of trees growing around the lake. Just look around and pick one you like.

Okay, we'll go do that.

Don't go too far!

...So, which one should we use?

How about that one? The branches are really high, so it'll be a good fit.

Yeah, let's use that.

Hmph!

Umph!

Mmph...there. This looks great!

Though all we did is spread some wood over the branches.

If you wanna do a full-blown house, then it'll take a lot longer than a day. More importantly, look that way!

Wow, what a great view!

We can see the whole lake from here.

The cool breeze feels great too, let's come here very summer!

Yeah, we'll build a proper house next time.

*creak*

Hm? Did someone just make a sound?

It wasn't me.

Even if you did it, we wouldn't hear it.

Well, it was probably nothing...Mm, the scenery is so good, and the breeze is so refreshing!!

Hey, don't move around so much!

*creak creak*

......Did I just hear a creak?

It wasn't me.

*creaaaaak*

Ah, ah, wahhh!

It's collapsing!

We're going to fall!

The wooden planks they placed on top of the branch fell apart, sending the three fairies on top of them plummeting to the ground.

Owwww...Ah-ah, our new house is all broken now.

It's your fault! You didn't build your part well enough!

What!? That was so your part!

There they go again...They're really no different from each other.

It's your fault too!

It's your fault too!

Letty: ............So loud......

Yuuka: Oh my...? It is that season, isn't it? I suppose you have to finish your job before winter comes.

Wriggle: ...Why are you looking at me like I'm some kinda insect?

Am I wrong?

You're not, but that stare of yours really gives me the creeps.

My, don't worry, I'm not scary. After all, without insects like you, flowers would be little more than seeds. Now now, work on my garden, please.

I didn't come here for that!

Yuuka leads a surprising assault once again on the Garden of the Sun, and, well, this was pretty bad. She puts up huge numbers against Wriggle and Marisa, and Hourai's healing wasn't anywhere near enough. Aya alone really can't hope to overcome Yuuka and the rest of her cohorts.

Turn: 39
    Ouki: 7807
    Ryumaku: 49/78

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine

Night-Blind Road

Faintly Dark Path

Magic Forest Entrance

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior

Road of Reconsideration
    Cost to Develop: 21 RES

Muenzuka

Human Village

Garden of the Sun
    Defense: 12/175

Enemy Territories:

Misty Lake

Lost Bamboo Forest

Eientei

Nameless Hill
    Defense: 125/205

Special Events

This was a rough turn for us. I'm really starting to doubt our ability to double-attack on the Nameless Hill, as our beta team has such a tough time beating just Yuka and some generics. Throwing Medicine and Komachi into the mix will make it all the more difficult.

I think Hourai's cutscene with Medicine is the same, given what she said in this one.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-11-03 at 11:20 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228

Oh, so we're outleveled in terms of generics? Ouch. We might be able to win a double-A, if Komachi/Yuuka or both pull a no-show for B-team. So luck of the draw and some scouting to confirm.
    Though if we don't DA, maybe we should counterassault the garden with B-team? Buying Hourai to L9 would also help our efforts a bit, maybe also buy up whoever the preferred generic is or throw a level on someone else in B-team.

Still, Komachi turning up is a rather nasty suprise, but can we capitalize on that? Wail on her in all battles and hope for capture? Would be sweet.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Orc in the Playground

Maybe for now we should just focus on reclaiming the Garden from the DLF. Even though we're not making any real progress, it's still experience gained and a chance that we might get Komachi if she shows up.

Spending some Ouki to buy some levels for weaker units might not be a bad idea either.

I'm not too sure what happens when you lose a territory, aside from the obvious part about the enemy army gaining that territory. I'm assuming that you have to reclaim it starting from full health again. But do territories behind it end up regaining any defense points that were lost?
    Last edited by EifieFlare; 2010-11-04 at 02:52 AM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Banned

Yeah, trying to regain our strength in the garden seems like a good idea. We don't want to lose it and we can't really expect to take the Nameless Hill this turn.

Also i think you are right that Hourai's scene is the same as Shanghai's. Which does make things easier. And i do hope we get Komachi i quite like the lazy bum.

21. - Top - End - #231

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 40-41

Spoiler
    Show
    We return to the Garden of the Sun to repel the invaders from the Doll Liberation Front. Only Medicine and a few grunts showed up to stop us, though, so our alpha team had little problem with this one.

Our other attackers peppered the opposing team with shots to weaken them, while Marisa charged up for a Master Spark that wiped out every single enemy in one ferocious blast, scoring an absolute victory.

We even managed to capture an enemy on this attack, whom we promptly recruit.

Alice Doll was taken prisoner.
    Alice Doll became an ally.

Our opponents let us off this turn, so we go into the next turn without any losses to our territories. This gives us the confidence to once again attack the Nameless Hill.

Without Komachi around to just randomly OHKO our characters, the fight goes a lot more smoothly. Aya gets off two full-powered shots on Yuuka before she even gets a turn, which goes far to weaken their best member.

Standing just one more battle away from defeat, though, Medicine and Yuuka will finally give in and use their secret weapon.

While the Doll Liberation Front fortunately continues to let us off on the counterattacks, the fairies of the lake try yet another attack on the Human Village. They never learn, do they?

Aside from maybe Letty (and even then only because of her level), the Strongest Fairy Army just doesn't have any particularly strong attackers, which means we can feasibly just outdamage them after a drawn out, back-and-forth affair. Things could get complicated if they used Sunny or Luna more often, but so far they haven't been fielding them. We win handily again.

Turn: 41
    Ouki: 13162
    Ryumaku: 51/80

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine

Night-Blind Road

Faintly Dark Path

Magic Forest Entrance

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior

Road of Reconsideration
    Cost to Develop: 21 RES

Muenzuka

Human Village

Garden of the Sun
    Defense: 112/175

Enemy Territories:

Misty Lake

Lost Bamboo Forest

Eientei

Nameless Hill
    Defense: 27/205

Special Events

22. - Top - End - #232
    Banned

Seems like there is only one thing to do now. Defeat the DLF and recruit Yuuka and Medicine as soon as possible. Then the question comes of where next. I vote going through the fairies to th SDM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, after defeating the DLF (assuming we defeat them), we'll have only one hostile front left, and that front isn't much of a threat to us. However, if we eliminate that front and take their territory, the SDM faction will replace them, and they're quite likely to be a greater threat. So if Eientei and/or Hakugyokurou then declare war on us before we take down the SDM (which will take some time due to their number of territories), we'll be stuck between two or three dangerous fronts, as opposed to one or two dangerous fronts and a largely irrelevant one.

So that's my tactical argument. The fanboy says get Sakuya.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Associate View Post
    Well, after defeating the DLF (assuming we defeat them), we'll have only one hostile front left, and that front isn't much of a threat to us. However, if we eliminate that front and take their territory, the SDM faction will replace them, and they're quite likely to be a greater threat. So if Eientei and/or Hakugyokurou then declare war on us before we take down the SDM (which will take some time due to their number of territories), we'll be stuck between two or three dangerous fronts, as opposed to one or two dangerous fronts and a largely irrelevant one.

So that's my tactical argument. The fanboy says get Sakuya.
    I vote Eientei for "precognition reason" and the fact that there's only 3 spots to get all those characters (2 for my favorite) compared with 5 for SDM.

Spoiler
    Show
    I didn't feel like paying the protection fee and got attacked on that same turn as well when I wasn't ready for it.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

25. - Top - End - #235

I say we can go after SDM. Eientei doesn't mobilize anyone beyond Reisen and Tewi if we don't go after them and Hakugyokurou is still quite a few turns off.
    We can conscript Letty (decent overall if with an odd special) and the Strongest (Nifty special, not terribad otherwise) if we need the numbers.
    Also means Eientei might snatch up Komachi/Mystia/Rumia for us to capture and recruit whilst we deal with SDM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Banned

Not to mention that Patchy is rather awesome as long as you can avoid enemies getting too close to her, so getting our hands on her will be nice. Then again, Mokou is awesome too.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Orc in the Playground

The thing with Eientei sending war declarations is that you can basically choose when they declare. And like Inc. said, Hakugyokurou is indeed quite a ways off. I actually managed to defeat the DLF, Lake, SDM, and half of Eientei (stopped for recruitment purposes) before finally choosing to declare war on Haku myself, just to give an idea.

That said, I say go for the SDM once we finish off the DLF. Every character you can get there really is just too good, or at least otherwise useful. As for the Lake's army, I really only used Letty as backup a few times and left the fairies on development duty.
    Last edited by EifieFlare; 2010-11-05 at 01:47 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 42

Spoiler
    Show
    Medicine and Yuuka had put up a good fight against Reimu's army, but they still continued their steady progress as the fate of the Doll Liberation Front became darker and darker.

Yuuka: It's good that this isn't a matter of life and death...But they certainly have the clear advantage right now.

Medicine: I guess I really wasn't cut out for this...

Now now, don't get disheartened. If you give up just from this, then you won't ever get anything done.

Y-Yeah...If I don't work hard, no one else is going to liberate the dolls in my place!

Mm, keep that spirit up.

While Yuuka had managed to cheer Medicine up, she knew that the next battle would be painful without a plan in mind.

What can we do, without using the suzuran...This could be wasteful, but we don't have much of a choice left.

Just as a plan started to form in Yuuka's head, Reimu's army arrived at the scene.

Reimu: Alright. It's taken a long while, but this will be where it all ends. Prepare yourself!

You're quite fired up, I see...Perhaps I should cool your head a little...In my personal style!!

What's going on!?

Yuuka's eyes twinkled devilishly as vines of ivy sprouted all around Reimu's army and entwiced themselves around their legs.

Wow! You can do that, Yuuka? Cool!

Mmhm, I was just using the plant seeds already sowed around here. How do you like it? Having fun trying to move around?

Hmph, you've certainly gotten desperate to be using such devious tricks.

Save those words for after the battle is decided...If you can win, that is!

With our entire team's speed taking a dire hit, Yuuka ends up even deadlier than before. We spend our early turns moving our ranged attackers out of her Close range, but our lower speed gave Yuuka enough time to Advance All and still go before us to attack again, allowing her to score knock-out blows on our team.

Even after taking down her compatriots, Yuuka's power was just so great that we only managed to make exactly 50% on the battle guage. Unfortunately, as I just discovered at this very moment, a 50% on the battle guage still translates to a loss.

Ouch. So close.

Reimu: Grr, how vexing...

Reimu had lost the battle, and immediately began flying backwards to a safe area. She was followed by Marisa, seemingly in a flurry.

Marisa: Hey Reimu, wait a sec.

Huh? I'm in a rush, so can you save it for later?

It seems there's some troops who were a bit slow to retreat. Shouldn't ya go and make sure they're OK?

Ehh? No thanks, that sounds so troublesome.

Wha? Hey...You're the leader, ya know.

They won't get eaten or anything, so I'm sure they'll be fine.

Sure, but the leader retreatin' before her allies is kinda, ya know...

Oh shut up already, who cares about that?

Wha...!!

Marisa had tried to chide Reimu about her behavior, but ended up getting a harsh rebuke for her efforts. The shock of Reimu's words made her resolve falter.

Are you trying to lecture me like that Yama? All about allies this, allies that...they're just people who fight with you in battle, and nothing more.

What the...?

...Anyway, I'm going. If you care so much about those lagging behind, then you can go and make sure they're fine.

...Bah, fine, whatever! Bye!

Marisa finally decided that there was no getting through to Reimu, and flew off in another direction. Reimu pondered to herself as she absent-mindedly watched Marisa's figure fade into the distance.

What was that all about...And what did I get so irritated for? It's all that Yama's fault for saying weird things, geez.

...But no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't shake the ideals that Marisa and Eiki were trying to convey to her.

As we nursed our wounds from the failed assault, the Doll Liberation Front launches a counterattack on the Nameless Hill. We're not giving up our hold just yet, so we send in our beta team, plus our newest member.

Alice Doll pulls her weight, healing her allies by a substantial amount as the rest of our party takes down our foes. Thankfully, Yuuka isn't part of the enemy's forces, so we pull out a comfortable win.

We also capture yet another prisoner: Rosedia, a generic female youkai (our first youkai capture). Here are her stats:
    Level: 10
    HP: 431
    MEL: 2
    RNG: 5
    DEF: 6
    WIS: 4
    SPD: 8
    RES: 5
    NEG: 1
    Cost: 3
    Special: Mind Focus, temporarily raises own RNG stat.
    Costs 8 NEG to recruit.

Turn: 42
    Ouki: 11431
    Ryumaku: 51/81

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine

Night-Blind Road

Faintly Dark Path

Magic Forest Entrance

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior

Road of Reconsideration

Muenzuka

Human Village
    Cost to Develop: 18 RES

Garden of the Sun
    Defense: 112/175

Enemy Territories:

Misty Lake

Lost Bamboo Forest

Eientei

Nameless Hill
    Defense: 27/205

Special Events

I assure you, I did not throw that fight. It really was that close.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-11-05 at 09:17 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Orc in the Playground

More generic units are always good (at least until we get better ones), so I say recruit Rosedia. Even if we don't end up using her all that much for combat, at least she has a decent 5 in Res.

Tough luck with that loss. I found that out myself the hard way as well, trying to deal the finishing blow on the Human Village. But hey, at least you got that cutscene with Reimu done now.

In other news, I finally finished the game today. Quite a twist at the end, but surprisingly I actually made it through without a single casualty. I guess I spent too much time grinding beforehand while trying to get some characters. Now to mess around with the extras.

30. - Top - End - #240

I just have to say, been playing with my editted data National Mode campaign today, using Alice's Forest of Magic Team as my army. Alice steamrolls through everything with a full team of dolls, mostly due to the combined might of two new dolls that I gave her: Stuffy Doll and Arcbound Ravager. Meanwhile, my beta team consists of Iku, Yumeko, Sho Minamimoto, Mell Kelly, and Xykon.

Yeah, this is too hilarious. I just have laughing fits every battle.