New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Banned

Default Re: Conquering the Fantasy Kitchen Sink - Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo!

The Higan Guard and the youkai army are too zetta slow to keep up with your dolls!

Also nothing wrong with getting that cutscene out of the way now. It is a neat cutscene and much nicer to have it happen naturally than to have to actually try and get Reimu to lose to get it like i did. So recruit Rosedia for now, though she is expensive to keep around compared to how good she really is.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 43

Spoiler
    Show
    One last attack on the Nameless Hill. We're not losing this one again.

BGM: Poison Body ~ Forsaken Doll ~ Sengoku Arr. ~

This time things go in our favor. We lead off with Aya, Marisa, and Shikieiki each launching a blazing salvo on Yuuka from afar, bringing her down immediately to more manageable levels.

A terrifying Master spark from Marisa a short while later is the final nail in their coffin. With Yuuka no longer around to beat Marisa down before it fires, we take out almost their entire squad with this devastating assault.

Also, an interesting surprise occurred. Notice a familiar face amongst Medicine's allies there?

String Doll was taken prisoner.

The "Doll Liberation Front" promised the freedom of all dolls as its slogan, but its time was up. Reimu stood haughtily over the exhausted Yuuka and Medicine.

Reimu: And that seals my victory. Someone like me, who exterminates youkai for a living, isn't going to lose to any youkai at all.

Yuuka: ...We may have lost according to the rules...But I don't believe I've lost, myself.

What, are you trying to say that you would've won if you could've gone all out?

...Don't say such silly things. If Gensokyo as it is now were to experience my true power...Well, it's certainly a different era now. Even I have have become more peaceful since those old days. Wouldn't you agree?

As if...Someone who's "peaceful" wouldn't send letters like you did.

I suppose I shall just overlook your impudence for today. Do be thankful.

Yes yes, thank you very much...Geez, I really hate dealing with you, it's so tiring...And what about that kid?

BGM: Out of Sight, Out of Mind

Medicine stood by Yuuka's side, staring at the ground, with nary a word emanating from her lips. Her lips were shut firmly, and her palms clasped tightly around each other.

Hey...Are you alright?

Medicine: I couldn't do it...I knew I wouldn't be able to do it...

C'mon, there's no need to beat yourself up so much...You just had the worst possible opponent, that's all.

I got everyone's help because I kept proclaiming that it was all for the liberation of all dolls...but we lost. I really can't do anything.

I told you, don't take it so hard...It's just a game, you know.

Reimu...Be quiet.

Yuuka scolded Reimu with a sharp expression onher face. Reimu was readying a comeback, but upon seeing Yuuka's unusually serious expression, she decided to keep it in.

...don't be so hasty, you're still learning after all. You're still a newborn baby compared to me.

Yeah...You're right.

Mmhm. If you feel so regretful, then go out and get even more experience so that it doesn't happen again.

...Okay. Thanks.

No problem. Cheer up, alright?

A small smile returned to Medicine's sad face upon receiving Yuuka's encouragement. But unsurprisingly, things could never be the same again...And Reimu was still completely lost as to what was going on.

...You're done? Geez, seeing you two talk about a topic that seems so important is really uncomfortable.

My, are you that lonely without your allies around?

...I'll blow you away, I swear it. Anyway, you all lost, so you have to do as I say now.

Ooh, how frightening. But I suppose you're correct. Do as you wish.

...We really did lose, huh.

...And so, the curtain fell on another battle.

"Doll Liberation Front" has fallen.
    Medicine Melancholy has been taken prisoner.
    Yuuka Kazami has been taken prisoner.

Hakugyokurou. A mansion located in the netherworld, where the Saigyouji Clan, tasked with the management of ghosts, resides. The 200-yojana long garden is its pride, as well as the atmosphere and cherry blossoms.

The maintainer of that beautiful, majestic and mysterious garden, and the gardener of the Saigyouji Clan, Youmu Konpaku, was flying around the garden in a frenzy.

Youmu: Whew...That should be enough. This garden is so big, one person couldn't possibly maintain it all...It would be good if Lady Yuyuko found another helper.

With a light complaint of tiredness, she began her daily sword training after maintaining the garden. The two swords she wielded, Hakurouken and Roukanken, seemed to release her tiredness with each swing.

It's still quite warm...It seems I am not able to fully clear my mind yet. Though the feeling of sweating from practicing my swordsmanship feels good.

Despite being a gathering of ghosts, Hakugyoukurou experiences the heat and coldness of the 4 seasons too. Youmu's sword continues its steady swing up and down...And a single figure watched her from behind a tree.

...What would you be doing, Lady Yuyuko?

Yuyuko: My, you found me? Very good, Youmu. I see you have not forgotten to be aware of your surroundings. Your readiness is praiseworthy indeed.

The figure of Yuyuko Saigyouji, the master of Hakugyokurou whom Youmu served, emerged from the shade. She had her usual aloof expression on her face, keeping anyone from being able to tell what she was thinking.

However, your complaints were unacceptable. You are to maintain this garden precisely because it is large. Anyone else doing so would not let me rest in peace.

You wouldn't ever rest in peace anyway...But you were listening all the while, Lady Yuyuko?

Yes I was. I appreciate the effort you expend every day, but you will not be given a helper.

I was never hoping for one, and it isn't necessary either, so it is fine. It is a little strange to see you come all the way here, though. Ahh, are you here to practice your swordsmanship? I'm afraid I have no practice fencing sticks with me, so I must return to the mansion to retrieve one...

I'm afraid you've got it wrong, we can save that for next time. I came here to look for you specifically.

I always return to the mansion properly after I've finished with my work. I'm not a lost little child, you know.

War is brewing.

You're always treating me like a kid and...Ehhh!? Where is it? who is attacking us!? Ahh, we must hurry and cut them down at once...!

My, children who refuse to listen to the end should learn how to calm down as well.

Lady Yuyuko, a war is not anything to be calm about!

Yukari has told me of an interesting game that she has thought of. So we shall be playing as well.

Something that Lady Yukari thought of? That gives me a very ominous feeling.

My, this time, she has something that will involve all of Gensokyo. We were punished for the Spring Incident, but this kind of game should garner no complaints.

Err...I think it would be natural to expect punishment for what we did during that Spring Incident...

A-ny-way! Yukari took great pains to set this event up, so we shall be participating as well. Make sure to use your swords to slice up our enemies.

Lady Yuyuko, these swords were not made to cut through living flesh.

The unfolding of weapons, under a hail of blossoms...Doesn't that sound like a true warrior's battle? Oh, the details are right here, so give it a read-through. And do call that band from the other side of the barrier to join in as well. Ahh, I'm getting quiet hungry, I wonder what's for tea-time today?

Yuyko handed over the sealed letter she got from Yukari to Youmu, then returned to the mansion. leaving Youmu at a loss.

Ah, Lady Yuyuko! *sigh*...This is almost certainly going to get weird...The scale of this is far too large, even for Lady Yukari.

Yukari: It's more fun to play with a hundred people than to play by yourself, isn't it?

That may be so, but...Uwaaaah!?

Just as Youmu turned her head towards the voice in shock, yukari retreated and closed her gap at the exact same time.

Oooooh...It feels like the two of them prepared this just to make fun of me...

Youmu let her shoulders droop as far as they could, then set out to run Yuyuko's errands.

Turn: 43
    Ouki: 13440
    Ryumaku: 54/84
    Actions Available: 2

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine
    Defense: 250/250
    Cost to Develop: 24 RES

Night-Blind Road
    Defense: 160/160
    Cost to Develop: 27 RES

Faintly Dark Path
    Defense: 175/175
    Cost to Develop: 33 RES

Magic Forest Entrance
    Defense: 180/180
    Cost to Develop: 30 RES

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior
    Defense: 210/210
    cost to Develop: 9 RES

Road of Reconsideration
    Defense: 190/190

Muenzuka
    Defense: 215/215
    Cost to Develop: 6 RES

Human Village
    Defense: 310/310
    Cost to Develop: 21 RES

Garden of the Sun
    Cost to Develop: 9

Nameless Hill
    Defense: 205/205
    Cost to Develop: 6

Enemy Territories:

Misty Lake
    Army: Strongest Fairy Army
    General: Cirno (leader)
    Defense: 225/225

Lost Bamboo Forest
    Army: Eientei Forest
    General: Reisen Udongein Inaba

Eientei
    General: Kaguya Houraisan (leader)
    Defense: 230/230

Special Events

War Declaration: Eientei Forest
    Costs 10 NEG to declare war.

Prisoners:

Got some prisoners again, although I'm not sure if I want to re-recruit String Doll now, since I doubt we'd use it for combat, and it lacks a RES score. Yuuka has awesome stats, but she'll need some level boosts to bring her up to par with the rest of our party (at least 3, if not 4, which cost 1500 each). I don't know how she just lost 17 levels when joining, when nearly everyone else joins at the same level as they appeared in battle when playing on Normal mode.

We also have some more items to purchase, if we'd like. This time there's an Intelligence Pill and a Vitality Pill, which raise RNG and DEF respectively for 4500 Ouki each.

Where to next? Eientei? The fairies? Or maybe even wait for Hakugyokurou? I don't think we can fight the Yakumo Clan until they're the only ones left, so don't worry too much about running into them early.

I like Youmu's wide range of expressions. I actually find it sort of funny.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

3. - Top - End - #243
    Orc in the Playground

I vote for spending a couple turns for buying those pills, recruiting Yuuka and Medicine, and developing if we have spare actions but not enough decent units to attack. The Lake and Eientei aren't really getting anywhere anyway, so we might as well make the most of it. And then afterwards, go after the Fairies and SDM.

I dunno if was just for me, but a team consisting of Alice, her dolls, Medicine, and Marisa (after certain requirements of course) worked great in my game. Medicine's ability is especially useful when putting her in close range, and managed to save the group a couple of times against a certain enemy in the end-game. Granted, I did give Medicine a Power Bracer and an affection boost, but it still works reasonably without it.

And yeah, you can't attack the Yakumos until you defeat everyone else, even if you manage to get to them. If you declare without them being the last enemy standing, they'll just reject it and make you waste the action and units.
    Last edited by EifieFlare; 2010-11-06 at 10:34 PM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Firbolg in the Playground

Recruit just Yuuka, develop stuff, get pillz, and then next turn we go knock on Eientei's door before they come looking for protection money.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

I say that the next few actions should be spent recruiting Medicine and Yuka, leveling up Yuka. As for the next target, I say go after the fairies.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

6. - Top - End - #246
    Banned

I'm with Assassin on this plan. Though i'm just biased by my fondness for the SDM staff.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Barbarian in the Playground

Let's buy the Dakka-pill and take out Fairies->SDM next. Eientei can take their time and wait for their turn. It's what they do best anyway .
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

8. - Top - End - #248

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 44-45

Spoiler
    Show
    Reimu: Good afternoon. How are you doing?

Medicine: ...What do you want?

Reimu's casual greeting was met by the depressed and ambitionless Medicine.

Gah, still feeling down huh...Really, what's wrong? Are you that depressed about losing?

You were just going with Yukari's words, weren't you? I don't know what she said to you, but in the end, it's just a game, so...

It wasn't a game.

Ehh?

That purple-coloured lady told me to work really hard to liberate all the dolls...But I failed.

Hm...So you've given up?

I really tried my hardest. But in the end, I couldn't do anything.

...I can't say I fully understand what you're going through, but do you really have to do it all by yourself?

Huh...?

And what's the connection between you joining Yukari's game and your goal of the liberation of dolls anyway?

That's...because she said I could find more people who are willing to help me...so...

Then I don't see the problem here.

What do you mean?

Medicine was unable to fully grasp the extent of Reimu's words. Reimu, looking at the confused Medicine, continued slowly with her lecture.

You lost to me, that's true. But that doesn't mean you can't find allies to your cause anymore. If anything, isn't it only getting started?

Uh...um...

Ahh, that Yuuka said something similar too, didn't she? Anyway, if you still want to go for it, why not join up with me?

Huh?

Let's work together and finish this whole mess.

Why would I work with...a human...

So you don't want to?

...No, I will. I'll try it, like you said.

That's good to hear. Let's do our best, alright?

Once again, the Medicine that was abandoned by humans, returned to serve under them. With that, she took a first, important step out of the tiny world she lived in.

Medicine Melancholy became an ally.

Reimu: ...Hey, what did I come here for?

Marisa: I gotta be worried if you're the one askin' me.

Yuuka: It would worry me too. It's rather rude of you to say that as soon as you see me, though.

Quiet, you.

You don't have to ask anyway, I already know. You want my strength, don't you?

...Let's just go back.

C'mon, ya should know just how strong she is, right? It'll definitely be better to have her on our side.

So you understand it well, Marisa. By the way, have you been able to master it yet? You know, my...

Ah-ahh, I'm not listenin'.

I suppose it's a subject I should stay away from. Anyway, it's boring to leave the game just because I lost, so I will assist you all.

You don't have to if you don't want to.

Oh don't you worry about that. Besides, you're sure to go to her...To Yukari's territory, aren't you? I'm certainly not useless either, so it's win-win.

Win-win? You're getting the most out of it!

Let me know when to meet up with the rest. Goodbye~.

As soon as she finished what she wanted to say, Yuuka flew off from the area, leaving behind the sighing Reimu.

Management's a tough job, eh? Keep it up.

You're the one who started all this!

Yuuka Kazami became an ally.

Youmu: ...So, let's work together if possible.

Lunasa: ...Hmm, it's a bit worrying. Our orchestra is not a mercenary unit, you know.

The Blossoms Barrier. A barrier located far into the horizon that divided the netherworld from the world of the living. It had been broken since the Spring Incident, and has stayed that way since.

At the barrier which made it unclear which side was which, the person who was unclear whether she was a ghost or a human went to talk to the poltergeists who were definitely ghosts. The person speaking to Youmu was the eldest of the three sisters of the orchestra. She was Lunasa Prismriver, the violinist of the group.

Well, yes, but...

Your mistress always treats us quite well though, so it shouldn't be a problem for me.

That's good...

...You look rather relieved. Like you didn't need to do something extremely troublesome.

No no, not at all...I'm sure that I alone won't be enough for this anyway.

You go through an awful lot, don't you? Anyway, I can't make a decision by myself, so you should ask my little sisters as well.

Lunasa then took her violin and slowly began her song. To put it kindly, it was calming. To put it bluntly, it was a dark, depressing melody that resounded all over the area.

Ahh, this feeling of immense gloom is overcoming...seriously...*siiigh*...

Are you that affected by it? ...Ah, here she comes.

The second sister and trumpeter, Merlin Prismriver, came flying right over upon hearing the sounds of a violin. She flapped her hands rather dangerously while she was still holding her trumpet.

Merlin: Sister, you shouldn't~. Your solo performances always does a real number on our listeners~.

Are you calling me dangerous? Your own solo trumpet performances does terrible things to people who listen to it too, you know...Right?

*sigh*...Ehh? Did you say something?

Oh, never mind. My little sister is here, so give her an explanation as well.

Ah, yes, understood. Well...

......Hm, that's a li'l worrying. We're an orchestra, not a bunch of bodyguards.

That's the same thing she said.

We are sisters, after all. What did you decide to do, sister?

I want to hear your opinion, and Lyrica's too. I personally have no problem with it, though.

It's okay with me too then~. It sounds great anyway, doesn't it? Everyone's gathering together, making so much noise and having so much fun~.

Thank you very much...Although I think you might be slightly mistaken.

We'll have to ask Lyrica too. She'll make a fuss if we leave her out.

Yeah~, let's call her over then.

Lunasa readied her violin, and Merlin her trumpet, and they began their performance anew. At first they seemed perfectly harmonious, but the contrary dissonance of their sounds and personalities confused Youmu greatly.

Ahh...I want to rest a bit...Ahh, moving my body around is so fun!...*sigh* Please recruit some additional help, Lady Yuyuko...

Lyrica: Wait, wait! See what happens when you two perform alone? Don't do that!

At some point, the youngest sister and keyboardist Lyrica Prismriver appeared next to the utterly messed up Youmu.

*sigh*...Ah, uh, about what I said, please don't tell Lady Yuyuko about it...

Hehe, maybe I should~.

Hey, stop that. You're going to cause trouble for us.

You all are the cause of this trouble in the first place, sisters. Both solos and duos are dangerous. Anyway, why are you here?

Alright, explanation time.

Again~...? *sigh* Okay, actually...

......Huh, that sounds great. It's like a festival, right?

...Her reaction was different.

That's because Lyrica is strange.

I don't wanna hear that from you, sister. Anyway, what did you two decide to do?

We both agreed~.

I see, that's great then.

Yes, thank you very much. I will probably be imposing on you all in the future, but let's work well together.

Youmu bowed deeply to the three sisters, then crossed over the barrier and back towards Hakugyokurou.

Okay, we'll have to practice more for our upcoming live performance~.

Yes, we must not give an embarassing account of ourselves.

Everyone, no matter human, youkai, or ghost, will be KO'd by our harmony!

At Lunasa's signal, the three sisters began to play their instruments. The beautiful melody and chords resounded around the Blossoms Border, with no one fortunate enough to be around to hear it.

"Hakugyokurou Hades" has been formed.
    Blossoms Barrier has been placed under control of Hakugyokurou Hades.
    Hakugyokurou Stairs has been placed under control of Hakugyokurou Hades.
    Hakugyokurou has been placed under control of Hakugyokurou Hades.

Our last turn ends with another attack by the fairies on the Human Village. But seriously now, no unique units? Just a bunch of generics? I am very disappointed.

We destroy them in short order. Yuuka throws around tons of damage, etc.

Turn: 45
    Ouki: 4676
    Ryumaku: 62/87

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine

Night-Blind Road

Faintly Dark Path

Magic Forest Entrance

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior

Road of Reconsideration

Muenzuka

Human Village

Garden of the Sun

Nameless Hill

Enemy Territories:

Misty Lake
    Defense: 225/225

Lost Bamboo Forest

Eientei

Blossoms Barrier
    Army: Hakugyokurou Hades
    General: Prismriver Sisters
    Defense: 220/220

Hakugyokurou Stairs
    General: Youmu Konpaku
    Defense: 200/200

Hakugyokurou
    General: Yuyuko Saigyouji (leader)
    Defense: 235/235

Special Events

War Declaration: Hakugyokurou Hades
    Costs 12 NEG to declare war.

Bought out the store, but still haven't used any of the pills we've obtained so far. Any suggestions?

It seems like people are leaning towards attacking the Strongest Fairy Army next, but there's still time to cast your vote!

Also, was Merlin always this cute? I don't even remember her from my first two playthroughs, although I guess I kind of ignored the cutscenes at this point. Still, Lunasa's my favorite sister, and one of my overall favorite characters.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

9. - Top - End - #249
    Banned

I haven't seen much personality from the Prismriver Sisters elsewhere, but she always was this cute in this game. They are definitely enjoyable characters here, all three of them.

As for who to give the pills to. One gives range and the other defense, right? In that case how about giving the defense pill to Keine to make her even better at doing her job and holding on to the ranged pill until we defeat the SDM and pick up Patchy.

As for what to do now, take on the fairies and assault the mansion afterwards.

10. - Top - End - #250

I think we'd get better returns from the Dakkapill with Aya, she acts often and has no trouble remaining at range.
    Would there be any point in holding the Def pill for Meiling? Giving it to Keine is by no means a bad choice, just wondering.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!

11. - Top - End - #251
    Orc in the Playground

I'm gonna have to side with Inc. on the pill distribution, so more dakka for Aya and more meat shieldiness for Meiling. Besides, we could just max out Patchy's RNG with a single affection boost or +1 equipment, and even then she's still a bit too slow to make use of that 10.

For our next plans, I'm going to go with Terra for attacking the Mansion (and their roadblock). Once that's done, go for Eientei, and finally Hakugyokurou. If we defeat Hakugyokurou it'd lead to the forming of the Yakumos and allow them to build up power, so I think it's best to leave them for last anyway.

And yes, Merlin always had this bubbly personality. I still also prefer Lunasa though.
    Last edited by EifieFlare; 2010-11-08 at 02:45 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252

Actually, come to think of it, this is a good spot to take a break for a few days. I'm really exhausted from med school stuff at the moment, and I have work the next two days followed by two more med school interviews in the upcoming week, so I think I'd like a little while to recharge.

Shouldn't take too long, though. If I get an acceptance letter in the next two weeks, well, I'll be pretty energized then. I might still update in the meantime, just not every day.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
    Actually, come to think of it, this is a good spot to take a break for a few days. I'm really exhausted from med school stuff at the moment, and I have work the next two days followed by two more med school interviews in the upcoming week, so I think I'd like a little while to recharge.

Shouldn't take too long, though. If I get an acceptance letter in the next two weeks, well, I'll be pretty energized then. I might still update in the meantime, just not every day.
    Good luck!

...And if the whole medical school thing works out, remind me to send you an Igor or something
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

14. - Top - End - #254
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post

Have fun with that (if you can anyway), and good luck! A game's not exactly worth losing a job/life over, so don't get too worked up over having to go on a short break.

15. - Top - End - #255

Okay, so my break was longer than I expected, but I'm back now! Shall we resume?

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 46

Spoiler
    Show
    So, where to now? Looks like the majority consensus is to head to the lake next. Looks like fairies are on the menu for today.

The most annoying thing about the Strongest Fairy Army are Sunny and Luna. Sunny's ability makes her immune to ranged attacks, while Luna's will protect her from all melee attacks. This makes them tricky to hit successfully, as they will move around often to ensure our army is at a disadvantaged position and can't hit them properly. Surprisingly enough, even when Wriggle's attack does 0 damage due to their ability, they can still be poisoned, which came in handy at the end.

Cirno: Damnit, you all lost! You need to work harder!

Luna: Hey, it's not all our fault!

Sunny: Right, Luna's the only one at fault here!

How so!?

Star: Such a troubling pair.

Daiyousei: You don't look like you care very much either.

What should we do, Letty?

Letty: You're being far too agitated about a minor loss. Well, I'll certainly be glad if this is over and done with quickly so I can go back to sleep, though.

C'mon, don't say that!

*sigh*...Fine, I suppose we should stop them from getting close to here.

From getting close to here? How do we do that?

If it was winter, I could make it so cold that they wouldn't be able to walk...

We won't be able to move either~!

In that case...We could just use your powers, couldn't we?

Ehh? Our powers?

Controlling the refraction of light, the propagation of sounds, and the ability to sense animate objects from afar...Isn't that plenty?

Hmm, you're thinking of something, aren't you?

We might as well do it...I'll be able to sleep if no one comes, after all.

Hm?

It's nothing.

And so, Letty's plan was put into action.

Reimu: Alright, let's go!

Reimu's Hakurei Army began their march towards the Misty Lake. Yet, no matter how long they traveled, the sight of the lake never once came into their view.

Marisa: ...Hey, was the lake supposed'ta be this far?

This is weird, we should've reached there awhile ago...

Let's keep movin' a bit longer, I s'pose.

...Yet, no matter how long they traveled, they never reached their destination. Right when they began to suspect something fishy...A familiar view revealed itself before their eyes.

......Hey, we're back at...

......The village.

They had marched straight towards their main destination, yet they somehow ended up at the point where they started. It was completely mindboggling.

Whatever way you look at it, this is really weird...Anyway, let's withdraw for today.

Guess that's all we can do.

...From somewhere in the distance, a giggling voice could be heard.

The fairies may be untouchable at the lake right now, but they can still attack us at the village.

Letty is a somewhat serious foe, but most of the fairies are pretty weak aside from a few annoying abilities. These fights aren't really that tough, though.

Turn: 46
    Ouki: 7359

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine

Night-Blind Road

Faintly Dark Path

Magic Forest Entrance

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior

Road of Reconsideration

Muenzuka

Human Village

Garden of the Sun

Nameless Hill

Enemy Territories:

Misty Lake
    Defense: 125/225

Lost Bamboo Forest

Eientei

Blossoms Barrier

Hakugyokurou Stairs

Hakugyokurou

Special Events:

Asking the Villagers
    Costs 12 RES to ask the villagers for help.

Prisoners:

String Doll (Generic doll unit) - Weak stats, but relatively fast. Lacks a RES score.
    Special: Full Power Shot, a strengthed ranged attack that stuns the user.

Haruka (Generic fairy unit) - Slow with about average stats, but a decent NEG score.
    Special: Healing Light, recovers one target's HP.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

I guess we need to attack Eientei now and recruit Reisen, as her powers are able to negate the effects of Sunny, Luna, and Star. That or ask the villagers for help.

Also Cirno is adorable when she is disappointed.
    Last edited by Assassin89; 2010-11-18 at 11:26 PM.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

17. - Top - End - #257
    Firbolg in the Playground

Go attack Eientei and get Mokou. It's what I voted for in the first place.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Reisen's ability doesn't really cancel out or have any association with the Fairies' in this game (inside battle or outside of battle). It's a redirection ability inside battle. Besides, even if Eientei is first conquered, Reisen becomes a free agent. Sad to say, I went two playthroughs without getting her or Komachi.

Ask the villagers for help! That's a great idea. Right now I think we should concentrate on taking down the Misty Lake.
    Last edited by PKF995; 2010-11-18 at 11:29 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259

I say we stick with the Lake -> SDM plan. Bug the villagers about it.

Whilst it would be nice to have alternate solutions to the fairies trick, i'm pretty sure Reisen couldn't do that. She can manipulate wavelenghts and could theoretically negate Sunny's and Luna's tricks, but she doesn't have any special insight into the 'normal' sights and sounds of the area. We'd still be lost amidst the illusions, they could merely be slightly more interesting than "nothingness".
    Now if she had a pair of spare moonrabbits around, she could maybe use the telepathy to keep track of her position within the nothingness, if telepathy gives a sense of direction.
    /pointless over-analysis

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

Don't worry, it took me ages to notice the villager option at all. My initial reaction was, like everyone else here, "okay, go get Reisen".
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

21. - Top - End - #261

Beats my 'keep attacking until something happens dammit," strategy that I masterfully employed.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Banned

Yeah, just trying attacking a few times wasn't very helpful. I didn't notice the villagers until i went to declare war on Eientei in hopes that the illusion would disappear on its own if i waited.

And to get Reisen you need to trigger a series of events PKF. If you do that, you get her automatically.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Really? I never knew that! What are those events? I would have expected to have Reisen prisoner just by defeating Eientei.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Banned

They begin with having Eiki as part of a group attacking the Bamboo Forest itself when you start your fight against Eientei. Then you either have to wait until Reisen leaves or just conquer the place, i can't quite tell i'll admit. However, if you conquer the area without Reisen leaving the Eientei army during an event you have to reload if you want to get her. The next event is triggered, i believe, by attacking the Eientei area and waiting until Reisen comes back. If you go through these events, she'll surrender along with Kaguya and Eirin.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thank you for the advice. I'll keep it in mind on my third playthrough. Out of all the Touhou fangames I've played, this one is really the most addictive and fun.

26. - Top - End - #266

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 47

Spoiler
    Show
    Why did they end up at the village every time they set out for the lake? Reimu and Marisa went to the Human Village to try and sort out and investigate the puzzle.

Marisa: This place's the closest to the lake, so maybe we'll get some good info here.

Reimu: I wonder...if the lake is really the same as it was before.

They then went around, talking to the villagers they saw and asking them about the lake.

Villager #1: Ehh, the lake? Did something happen there? Hm, I can't tell you much about it, I'm afraid. That place is dangerous, so I try not to go there.

Villager #2: I'm sorry, but I don't go to the lake often, so I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

Villager #3: You know the ice fairy there, right? She froze my crops before, she was such a pain. Be careful of her.

Villager #4: Speaking of fairies, there were a trio of them causing a big fuss at the reservoir recently. Water is precious here, so I gave chase, but as soon as I got close...

Villager #5: Those fairies, as soon as they noticed me, they disappeared without a sound! I heard something about a lake just before, though. Is that related, maybe?

...They then took a break to sort out the information they gathered.

It seems like not a single one of 'em knows what we're talkin' about for sure.

That last villager...He talked about a trio of fairies...Does that bring anything to your mind?

Hm...Sorta. But nothin' that makes a huge impression.

This is worrying. We won't be able to solve this mystery at this rate. We need to find out more details...

Fairies...A trio of fairies...disappeared without a trace or sound...Hey Reimu, when we went to the lake, were you able to hear anything?

Now that you mention it...It was almost entirely silent except for a buzzing in my ears...Now that's sounding suspicious.

That seems to be related, yeah. I think we should try and find out who we're dealin' with.

And how would we investigate a trio of fairies...? Doesn't sound like it'd be terribly easy.

Sounds like it'd be terrible, actually. Let's see what we can do though.

Reimu and Marisa went to Akyu to inquire about fairies who could conceal their sounds and figures.

Reimu: Akyu, are you there?

Akyu: My, how may I help the two of you?

Marisa: We came to take a quick peek at the Gensokyo Chronicles.

Oh, again? I thought you looked through it quite a bit already.

Actually, it's for this and that, and so on and so forth.

I see, so it is about such and such?

What the heck are you two on about?

Ahh, just ignore that, please. I shall bring it here, so please wait a little while.

Akyu disappeared into the mansion, and eventually reappeared, holding several volumes of books.

Whew...So, you two would like to investigate further on a certain trio of fairies, correct?...I...I am so touched...

H-H-Hey, what's wrong?

Gensokyo has changed so much throughout the generations of Hiedas...But to see that the Gensokyo Chronicles, a creation of the first generation, is fulfilling its purpose...It makes me feel very emotional.

That's just slightly creepy...Anyway, does a trio of fairies ring any bells?

A trio of fairies certainly is not an everyday sight. I believe this is what you are looking for.

Akyu took one of the many volumes of the Chronicles out as she spoke, and flipped the pages until it settled on something regarding fairies. She then opened it up for Reimu and Marisa to see.

Hmm..."The Light-Bending Sunny Milk", "The Sound-Manipulating Luna Child", and "The Animate-Detecting Star Sapphire"...

I feel like I've seen 'em somewhere before.

Your experience of returning to the village after setting out for the lake can be explained by this.

How so?

Every object in this world requires light to be reflected off it for the eye to recognize it. If light were to bend around me, my figure would not be seen. Furthermore, if you think about it the opposite way, reflecting light onto scenery in a creative way can make something similar to an optical illusion.

So ya mean...We were goin' towards what LOOKED like the lake, but we were actually headin' towards the village instead?

They would also use their ability to detect animate objects to sense your presence, then use their ability to conceal to confuse your sense of direction.

That's a pretty good plan for a bunch of fairies, honestly. How can we get around it though?

Well...Waiting for a rainy day would be the best option, but the weather is not something you can count on.

...Nah, we don't need'ta wait for that. I've got a plan.

Just as I expected, Marisa. I always had faith in you.

Yep yep, pour it on. Anyways, now that we know their tricks, there's nothin' to it. Just leave it to me.

I have no idea what you're planning, but since you're so confident, I'll do just that.

I'm glad to have been of help.

Yeah, thanks a bunch.

Yep yep, see ya!

Akyu held her book close to her chest as she watched the two off in high spirits.

Turn: 47
    Ouki: 10491

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine

Night-Blind Road

Faintly Dark Path

Magic Forest Entrance

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior

Road of Reconsideration

Muenzuka

Human Village

Garden of the Sun

Nameless Hill

Enemy Territories:

Misty Lake
    Defense: 125/225

Lost Bamboo Forest

Eientei

Blossoms Barrier

Hakugyokurou Stairs

Hakugyokurou

Special Events:

Prisoners:

String Doll (Generic doll unit) - Weak stats, but relatively fast. Lacks a RES score.
    Special: Full Power Shot, a strengthed ranged attack that stuns the user.

Haruka (Generic fairy unit) - Slow with about average stats, but a decent NEG score.
    Special: Healing Light, recovers one target's HP.

Akyu! STOP BEING SO CUTE!!!

27. - Top - End - #267
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Yay! Marisa has a plan!

I suppose we should go put some more pressure on Cirno's army? They should lose their only territory soon enough.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PKF995 View Post
    Yay! Marisa has a plan!
    I have a horrible feeling that the "plan" is basically "orbital bombardment at wherever she thinks the lake is."

Possibly with a bit of "oops, I missed. You didn't need that continent, right? Right?"
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2010-11-19 at 11:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

29. - Top - End - #269
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Yeah, that does sound Marisa-ish. It'd probably throw the fairies in such a panic that they won't be able to maintain the illusion anymore.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PKF995 View Post
    Yeah, that does sound Marisa-ish. It'd probably throw the fairies in such a panic that they won't be able to maintain the illusion anymore.
    I just figured being reduced to their component atoms would interfere with their concentration.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman