New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Final Fantasy d6 Homebrew

On the index: Deflecting and Stable of Soul are weapon abilities.

Also, I'm working up a homebrew Sin (
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yu Yevon included
    ) since the manual seems to neglect it... strange...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    On the index: Deflecting and Stable of Soul are weapon abilities.

Also, I'm working up a homebrew Sin (
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yu Yevon included
    ) since the manual seems to neglect it... strange...
    Because it's level >9000 in all likelihood.

Good luck though.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Because it's level >9000 in all likelihood.

Good luck though.
    But could it be more powerful than Chaos, a Level 30 End Boss?
    Spoiler
    Show

Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

(Sorry for double-post)

SIN
    Spoiler
    Show
    Level: 30 (End Boss)
    Category: Abnormal, Fiend
    Size: Unreported, Length estimated at over one mile
    Reaction: Hostile

Multiple Parts:
    Left Fin (1875 HP, Gravija)
    Right Fin (1875 HP, Gravija)

HP: 7500
    MP: 1450
    STR: 60
    VIT: 75
    DEX: 25
    INT: 40
    SPR: 20
    ARM: 150
    M.ARM: 100
    EVA: 15
    ACC: 23

Attacks:
    Sin Spurn - 480+2d6 Shadow Damage - Medium Range (or Short)
    Sin Spike - 200+2d6 Shadow Damage - Long Range

Magic: Gravity, Gravija, X-Zone

Special: Large, Flight, Multiple Parts, Break Damage Limit, Immunity to Insta-Death, Impervious, Fear

Limit Break: Giga-Graviton
    Sin unleashes an unstobbable flash of light, felling all heroes, even those immune to Insta-Death.

Rewards:
    20,000 Gil
    Drop: Apocalypse
    Steal: Ribbon
    Refine: Aegis Coat

I intentionally left no history/flavor text. The nine dozen spoilers weren't worth it. If you want to know about the history, go to the wikia and search Sin. Or go to the FFX section of our handbooks.

So, thoughts, comments?
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

(Sorry for double-post)

SIN
    Level: 30 (End Boss)
    Category: Abnormal, Fiend
    Size: Unreported, Length estimated at over one mile
    God, that would be one hell of a Sin miniature!

Multiple Parts:
    Left Fin (1875 HP, Gravija)
    Right Fin (1875 HP, Gravija)

HP: 7500
    MP: 1450
    STR: 60
    VIT: 75
    DEX: 25
    INT: 40
    SPR: 20
    ARM: 150
    M.ARM: 100
    EVA: 15
    ACC: 23
    Huh, not that much evasion. Make sure to include the ratings.

Attacks:
    Sin Spurn - 480+2d6 Shadow Damage - Medium Range (or Short)
    Sin Spike - 200+2d6 Shadow Damage - Long Range
    Well, which is it? Medium or short?

Magic: Gravity, Gravija, X-Zone

Special: Large, Flight, Multiple Parts, Break Damage Limit, Immunity to Insta-Death, Impervious, Fear
    Isn't gravity and gravija a bit redundant? It looks like it really only has two attacks that will come up. Sin Spurn and Gravija. You might want to give it more abilities. Also, End bosses have Break Damage Limit and Immunity to death and fear automatically.

Limit Break: Giga-Graviton
    Sin unleashes an unstobbable flash of light, felling all heroes, even those immune to Insta-Death.
    ...Well that's just cruel. There are a few ways around this (auto-life and Moment of Glory being the biggest), but it seems weird, since most likely this will end the encounter without the players getting to do anything

Rewards:
    20,000 Gil
    Drop: Apocalypse
    Steal: Ribbon
    Refine: Aegis Coat
    At this point I'm not sure loot is that important. Also, why is Sin wearing a ribbon? To get in touch with its feminine side?
    Last edited by Mecharious; 2010-11-15 at 08:41 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mecharious View Post
    God, that would be one hell of a Sin miniature!

Huh, not that much evasion. Make sure to include the ratings.

Well, which is it? Medium or short?

Isn't gravity and gravija a bit redundant? It looks like it really only has two attacks that will come up. Sin Spurn and Gravija. You might want to give it more abilities. Also, End bosses have Break Damage Limit and Immunity to death and fear automatically.

...Well that's just cruel. There are a few ways around this (auto-life and Moment of Glory being the biggest), but it seems weird, since most likely this will end the encounter without the players getting to do anything

At this point I'm not sure loot is that important. Also, why is Sin wearing a ribbon? To get in touch with its feminine side?
    1: Yeah, I couldn't even grasp a number for size. And "Helluh big" just sounded weird.

2: With 7.5 k HP, the Evasion may just be low. Plus it's dex I think, it's low stat.

3: I'm leaving that open to whoever uses Sin, so it's not just a rigid model, more like a template.

4A:
    Yes, yes it is.
    4B:
    The idea behind Sin Spike is a long ranged attack. Just versatility at work.
    4C:
    Leaving that a little open ended, allowing customization. See 3.
    4D:
    True dat. I'm dumb.

5: That's what it did in the game. It can also be altered to something else, or remove the "Even immune to insta-death" clause.

6A: So what? Loot is loot?
    6B: Hey, Chaos is wearing a Ribbon too. Only real men wear Ribbons.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Legendary Accesory: Grimoire of the Rift
    Scholar Only. +6 Int, +4 Spr. The amount a target's ACC, EVA, ARM & M. ARM is reduced by a Scholar's abilities is doubled. They may also use Words of Power to possess a target as many times as they have uses, rather than 1/session.
    Everything looks in order. Believe it or not FFTA2 is actually my favorite FF game. Story was nothing special, but I loved all the customization

Could you add Parivir to the main page?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Everything looks in order. Believe it or not FFTA2 is actually my favorite FF game. Story was nothing special, but I loved all the customization

Could you add Parivir to the main page?
    Cruuuuud

I was absolutely certain I had done that.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Well I have officially concluded my first game with the new FFd6 system, which introduced the city of South Figaro in all it's turn-of-the-century splendor, and contained zero combat or skill checks made, haha.

Anyway, thought I'd share a few things I've made for this game. Nothing too fancy like end game bosses or new classes, but I have one new race (the Selkies of Crystal Chronicles. Yes I know they don't really belong in FF6 but she's got a good reason to be there), and three monsters with a fourth in the works.

New Race: The Selkies
    Spoiler
    Show

Closely resembling Humes, the Selkie are defined by their wilder, rugged looks. Physically, they are quite similar to the Hume; they stand at a similar height of between 5.5 and 6 feet on average, and mostly lack any unusual features such as the Lilties sprout or the Yukes armor. Males tend to be more athletically built then their Hume counterparts, while females sport well defined, voluptuous curves. Their hair is the thing that really sets them apart, always thick, shiny and difficult to tame, and has the color of precious gemstones. Their manner of dress is also highly individualized, favoring lightweight and revealing clothing in bright colors and patterns, often decorated with furs and trinkets either stolen from others or taken from defeated monsters.
    Selkies are plagued by a partially undeserved reputation as cutpurses, gypsies and thugs. This has stemmed from generations of ostracizing by the other tribes and their own hedonistic personalities, which has forged in the Selkies a highly enlightened sense of self-preservation. More often then not, this leads the Selkies to a life of thievery.

Average Height
    Males: 5’6” - 6’2” ft
    Females: 5’3” - 5’10” ft

Average Weight
    Males: 170 - 200 lbs.
    Females: 160 - 185 lbs.

Average Lifespan
    Young is 5 - 14 years old
    Adult is 15 - 55 years old
    Elder is 56 - 90 years old

Hair Colors
    Red, teal, yellow, violet, silver

Eye Colors
    Blue, green, gray, red

Society
    Having spent much of the last few generations as vagabonds or unwelcome guests in the cities of other tribes, the Selkie have little use for the traditional notion of a leader. Instead, each Selkie is expected to be the master of their own destiny, doing what they feel is right and damning anyone who gets in their way. Sometimes, a Selkie of great vision will lead a small group in a unified quest, but be sure that each one of his followers has their own agenda. Likewise, the advise of elders often falls on deaf ears as the younger generation makes their own way in the world. In ancient times this was not the case, and though there are few records of it the Selkie did have great kings and queens as the other races. If the miasma were to clear, it is unsure weather the Selkie would return to their monarchies, or if the tribe would simply scatter to the winds in pursuit of their individual dreams.

Roleplaying
    The Selkie are defined by their attitudes as fast-talkers and quick-thinkers. They tend to plan on the fly and rely on their own skill and luck to see them through dangerous scenarios. Though untrusting of others (as in turn no one trusts them) they can be capable and loyal allies to those who prove themselves as friends. They are also known for their senses of humor, about the world at large and even the discrimination against their own kin. As such, they take failures in stride and always seem to land on their feet when disaster strikes. They are survivors, and have proven many times their ability to weather the worst of hardships.

Languages
    If the Selkie once had their own native tongue, it has been lost to time. They speak Common, with a defining accent that ranges in strength depending on how Selkie-dominant of a community they grew up in. (I imagine them sounding a bit like like pikies from Snatch)

Bonuses
    The Selkie are not known for their written history, and their oral traditions are suspiciously lacking. None the less, their agility is known the world over, and one fact is quietly passed among the selkies; they are people of the water, and to the water they will one day return.
    Selkies gain a +1 bonus to Athletics checks, and can hold their breath for a number of hours equal to their vitality rating, minimum 1 hour. After that point the normal rules for submersion and drowning apply.

Jobs
    It goes without saying that most Selkie are Thieves, but the true defining element of their race is their strong and individual personalities. As such, many Selkie use their agility and adventurous persona to excel as Rangers, Entertainers and Gamblers. Those with a more martial bent are drawn to Monk or Dragoon, though they often avoid heavy armor. Finally, the Selkie seem more actively concerned with ending, or adapting to, the threat of miasma then other tribes, and this has lead to several adopting the mantle of Blue Mage, to better understand monsters and their immunity to the poison.

Notes
    Although my knee-jerk reaction was to simply create a race with a bump to their thievery, I felt like that would be selling the selkie short. Their overall design, as well as the word selkie, hearken to a strong celtic influence for the race. As such, it seemed more fitting to me for their reputation as thieves to stem more from the outside view of their ways, much in the same way the celts were seen as simpletons and barbarians. So in the end I went with their natural agility, coupled with a nod to the in-game reference to them being water-folk, as well as the original legends of selkies (people who could take the form of seals.) Personally I think this gives a lot more potential for character development, not to mention they would make smashing pirates

New Monsters: Nettlehopper
    Spoiler
    Show
    This large beetle-like creature eyes you from the branch overhead. After only the slightest movement on your part it springs into the air, long diaphanous emerging from its shell to propel its leaping attacks, and its six legs unfurling into long claws. After a single swipe your blood is suddenly boiling, and you chase the beast without thought of the other nettlehoppers joining the battle behind you.

These forest dwelling bugs are somewhat communal by nature, often working together to bring down larger food. In a world filled with creatures armed with far more devastating attacks then their own, they’ve developed an intriguing counter measure. By slapping enemies with their wings they can inflict the Berserk status effect. Once all enemies are hopping mad and fighting mindlessly others will swoop in for the kill.

Level 1
    Category: Aerial, Beast, Insect
    Environments: Plains, Forest, Swamp
    Size: 2.5 ft (including wingspan)
    Reaction: Wary to Hostile. If well fed nettlehoppers are somewhat less inclined to attack.

HP: 32
    Strength: 8+2, Dexterity: 13+4, Vitality: 6+2, Intelligence: 1, Spirit: 2
    EVA: 10, ARM: 6, M.ARM: 0

Flyby Claw: ACC +4, 8+2d6 damage.
    Wing Snap: ACC +2, 2d6 damage, and target is afflicted with Berserk for a number of rounds. If all enemies are Berserked then this attack becomes the Call for Help ability.
    Special: Reduced HP, Weakness to Fire, Vulnerable to Wind, Vulnerable to Ice, Auto-Float
    Rewards: Steal - Swamp Incense, Refine - Cherub Down

Acrophies
    Spoiler
    Show
    A blue-shelled crab with a claw nearly as big as it is, lined with sharp white teeth. Moving with surprising speed, it lunges for the attack.

A danger to any beachgoer, the acrophies is armed with a large, strong claw that has a paralytic toxin within it. Though not usually a danger to the prepared warrior, these beasts are often followed by the more lethal predators, which scavenge meals from the paralyzed victims acrophies leave behind.

Level 1
    Categories: Aquan, Beast
    Environments : Water, Swamp, Underground
    Size: 2 feet
    Reaction: Wary to Hostile

HP: 38
    STR: 7+2, DEX: 7+2, VIT: 8+2, INT: 4+1, SPI: 5+1
    EVA: 8, ARM: 6, M.ARM: 0

Pincer: ACC +4, 7+2d6 damage.
    Numbclaw: ACC +1, 7+2d6 damage, and the target is afflicted with Stop for several turns.
    Special: Reduced HP, Lightning Weakness, Water Resistance
    Rewards: Steal - Oxygen Ball, Refine - Fish Scale

Sandhorse
    Spoiler
    Show
    What appears to be a ripple in the sand ahead of you suddenly reveals the long snout of a camouflaged monster. What then bursts from the ground is a beast ostentatiously resembling the harmless seahorse. This creature however towers over you, covered in chitin plates with a flared crest raising from behind its red eyes, and two wing-like fins protruding from its back. Moving across the ground like a reared snake, it circles you with a predatory eye.

These hostile creatures are found in any sandy environment, and readily attack any creature that appears vulnerable and edible. They often appear after lesser monsters have softened or otherwise debilitated potential prey, ambushing from under the sand using the geomancer job ability Elemental Body.

Level 2
    Categories: Dragon, Beast
    Environments: Desert, Water (sandy beaches, specifically)
    Size: 10 ft.

HP: 90, MP: 22
    STR: 9+3, DEX: 6+2, VIT: 9+3, INT: 5+1, SPI: 2
    EVA: 9, ARM: 6, M.ARM: 3

Attacks: Tail Whip: ACC +5, 9+2d6 damage.
    Clamp: ACC +2, 9+2d6 damage, and both the target and the Sandhorse are afflicted by Stop. Each turn Stop does not end, the target takes 10% of its maximum HP in damage. If Stop ends for either the target or the Sandhorse, it ends for both.
    Magic: Sand Storm (aside from slight thematic changes, this attack is identical to the blue magic Seed Cannon)
    Special: Ice Vulnerability, Water Vulnerability, Earth Resistance
    Rewards: Drop - Tier 1 Armor Parts, Steal - Potion, Refine - Earth Drum

And lastly, a single item I made for a future treasure pack for the party dragoon. Nothing fancy, but I think it has a nice flavor to it.

Wind Spear
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tier 3 Reach, Spell Effect - Aero, Special Ability - Grants use of the Freelancer job ability Quick Hit once per session.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zansumkai View Post
    Wind Spear
    I'd name it "Typhoon." It's more memorable, I think.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zansumkai View Post
    Wing Snap: ACC +2, 2d6 damage, and target is afflicted with Berserk for a number of rounds. If all enemies are Berserked then this attack becomes the Call for Help ability.
    I hated nettlehoppers SO MUCH!

Everything in this thread floors me. I am stunned for four rounds by awesome.

12. - Top - End - #42

Brotherhood
    Tier 7 Blade, +2 STR, Waterstrike, Special Ability

The Brotherhood is a famed sword that appears to be made of water. On its end is a vicious hook. Just above the hilt, ridges that look like bubbles protrude from the blade's edge, and on the other side of the edge, black metal stands out to protect the wielder's hand. The sword's hilt is surprisingly thin, though it need not be any larger, for the blade is as light as a dagger. A red cloth kerchief hangs from the end of the hilt as a final decoration.
    The Brotherhood allows the wielder to sense how much HP and MP an enemy has left, as well as sense its weaknesses, resistances, immunities, absorbencies, and active status effects automatically, as long as the wielder can see that enemy.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Random stuff:

Weapon ability:

[Element] Burst (example: Fire Burst)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Requires Tier 3/6 Weapon
    The weapon occasionally envealops itself in an element, dealing additional damage. Whenever a critical hit is scored, it is treated as if it was a weapon of the type listed and does an additional 2d6 damage. If a 12 is rolled, another 2d6 is rolled, and the process is repeated until a result of 12 is not rolled. All damage from consecutive rolls is added to the attack. The element, and the extra damage, also take effect if used in conjunction with a Limit Break. A Tier 6 weapon is required for a Holy Burst weapon.

Armor:

Wraith's Skin
    Spoiler
    Show
    Light
    1200 Gil
    5 ARM
    25 M.ARM
    +2 INT
    15 Difficulty
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44

Note:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the interest of appealing to the greatest audience possible, I'll be keeping the first version available for fans of the first version of FFd6. In order to accommodate fans of the newest version, however, I'll be including a spoiler at the end of this post including how to change the job to fit said version. Anything not mentioned in the changed version is the same as the old version.

Fencer

Fencers are speedy combatants with almost unmatched skill and bravado. They may not be as hardy as many others, but for what they lack in toughness, their ability to dodge enemy blows and weaken targets with various status effects and abilities often goes beyond the call of duty.
    Most often, Fencers wield rapiers and other light weapons in battle, allowing them to take advantage of their agility.

HP/Level: +4
    MP/Level: N/A
    Weapons: Blade, Concealed
    Armor: Light, Medium
    Skill Points: 16
    ACC: 2 + DEX or INT rating
    EVA: 8 + DEX or INT rating

Epic Ability: Featherdance -- Instant, Self
    When a Fencer goes into a heightened state of being, unleashing their great inner might in combat, enemies beware. Upon using Featherdance, the Fencer gains an additional Standard action each turn, and Slow actions they initiate begin and end in the same turn. As well, enemies within Close range at the beginning of the Fencer's turn become slower, taking Standard actions to complete Instant actions, Slow actions to complete Standard actions, and Slow actions finish at the end of an affected creature's next turn. Featherdance lasts for the Fencer's DEX or INT rating rounds or four rounds, whichever is greater. During this time, the Fencer is immune to all effects that would lower their DEX, ACC, or EVA. At the end of the Featherdance, the Fencer releases a storm of feathers, hitting every enemy within Medium range, reducing their EVA scores to 0 until the end of the Fencer's next turn.

Innate Ability: Parry -- Passive, Special
    A Fencer is an extremely skilled combatant, able to turn away even the strongest of blows with great finesse. This requires a degree of concentration, however. Whenever the Fencer takes the Defend action in combat, they gain a +2 bonus to EVA as well as the normal 50% damage reduction.

Job Abilities

Swarmstrike -- Passive, Self
    The Fencer has taken stinging like a bee to the next level, applying the poisontouch weapon ability to all weapons they wield. Additionally, a number of times per session equal to their SPR rating, the Fencer may choose to attack normally, dealing no damage, but automatically inflicting poison on the target.

Shadowstick -- Standard, Single
    Beyond their ability to move quickly, a Fencer is able to reduce an enemy's ability to do the same. The Fencer attacks, dealing no damage, but reducing the target's EVA to 0 until the end of the Fencer's next turn. This ability may be used a number of times per session equal to the Fencer's INT rating.

Checkmate -- Slow, Single
    The Fencer strikes at the target's throat, dealing no immediate damage, but stopping the target's life-giving (or unlife-giving) functions after 4 rounds, effectively inflicting death. Some bosses may be immune to this ability. This ability is usable only once per session.

Featherblow -- Standard, Single
    Fencers have the ability to strike almost anything, though such accuracy comes at the cost of power. As fast as lightning, the Fencer attacks with a +6 bonus to ACC, but deals only 50% damage.

Swallowtail -- Standard, Special
    The Fencer attacks all creatures, including allies, but not the Fencer, within range, making attacks as normal against every subject target. This ability may be only be used once per combat.

Manastrike -- Standard, Single
    A Fencer's ability lies not only in their ability to strike at the body, but also at the soul. The Fencer makes a normal attack. The damage dealt by this attack instead damages the target's MP. If the target's MP would be reduced to 0 or less, leftover damage becomes HP damage. This ability may be used a number of times per session equal to the Fencer's INT rating.

Piercethrough -- Standard, Special
    Reaching out with their weapon, the Fencer is able to strike two enemies by literally going through a target. The Fencer attacks normally, but is able to attack two enemies, provided the second target is within range of attack. This ability may be used a number of times per session equal to the Fencer's DEX rating.

Nighthawk -- Standard, Single
    Lunging forward and leaping back, creating a wave of force by striking forward, or simply with force of will, the Fencer attacks at a Medium range, dealing damage as normal. This ability is usable a number of times per combat equal to the Fencer's INT rating.

Riposte -- Passive
    A Fencer has trained extensively in the art of returning attacks directed against them. Whenever the Fencer successfully evades an attack, they may immediately counterattack, as the Brawl weapon category ability. This ability may be used a number of times per session equal to the Fencer's DEX rating.

Evasive Maneuvers -- Passive, Self
    Zigging and zagging, hopping and skipping, and running and crawling around the battlefield, the Fencer is better able to avoid attacks by distracting opponents with attacks after moving. Any round in which the Fencer moves and attacks an enemy with one of their job abilities, they gain a +2 bonus to EVA until the beginning of their next turn. This bonus also applies after the ending attack of Featherdance if the Fencer moves before finishing.

Barrage -- Slow, Special
    The Fencer stabs forward countless times, striking a weak point in the enemy with each lunge. The Fencer makes four attacks against one or multiple targets. Every attack deals only 50% damage, and none of the attacks may be critical hits. This ability may be used a number of times per session equal to the Fencer's DEX rating.

Legendary Accessory: Plume: Fencer Only. +6 DEX, +4 INT. The carrier of the Plume is able to automatically dodge a single attack, spell, or effect once per session. The attack dodged cannot be a limit break.

Newer Version:
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP Bonus: 14
    MP Bonus: 0
    ACC Bonus: 2
    AVD Bonus: 7
    Skill Points: 20

No Epic Ability.

Parry: Change the EVA bonus to an AVD bonus.

Swarmstrike: Remove the part about uses per session, replacing it with the ability for the Fencer to do 25% damage while automatically inflicting poison if they hit their target.

Shadowstick: Once per session, the Fencer can reduce an enemy's AVD to 0 as an Instant Action until the foe's next turn.

Manastrike: Whenever the Fencer attacks an enemy, they reduce the foe's current MP by 25% of the damage dealt. Once per session, the Fencer can deal 100% of their damage to an enemy's current MP.

Piercethrough: When the Fencer attacks an enemy while another foe is within range as well, the Fencer makes an opposed Force check against the first enemy. If the Fencer succeeds, they deal 25% of the damage against the first enemy to the second. As well, once per combat, the Fencer can deal full damage to the second foe.

Nighthawk: Once per combat, the Fencer may attack at a Medium range. In addition, the Fencer gains a +2 bonus to AVD until the beginning of their next turn after using Nighthawk.

Riposte: This ability may be used once per combat.

Barrage: This ability may be used once per combat.

Limit Abilities

Featherdance: Copy the above Epic Ability, replacing any occurrences of EVA with AVD and making the duration five rounds. It costs 3 Destiny to use.

Heartstrike: When the Fencer scores a critical hit, the damage ignores ARM and reduces the enemy's ARM to 0 for 1 round.

Double Hitter: Once per combat, the Fencer can attack twice in one round. The second hit deals 50% damage.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2013-03-18 at 05:46 PM.
    Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    HP/Level: +4
    MP/Level: N/A
    Weapons: Blade, Concealed
    Armor: Light, Medium
    Skill Points: 16
    ACC: 2 + DEX or INT rating
    EVA: 8 + DEX or INT rating
    4hp/level is worse than the thief. There doesn’t seem to be much reason to take blades over concealed.
    Epic Ability: Featherdance -- Instant, Self
    When a Fencer goes into a heightened state of being, unleashing their great inner might in combat, enemies beware. Upon using Featherdance, the Fencer becomes Hasted. As well, enemies within Close range at the beginning of the Fencer's turn become Slowed. Featherdance lasts for the Fencer's DEX or INT rating rounds or four rounds, whichever is greater. During this time, the Fencer is immune to all effects that would lower their DEX, ACC, or EVA. At the end of the Featherdance, the Fencer releases a storm of feathers, hitting every enemy within Medium range, reducing their EVA scores to 0 until the end of the Fencer's next turn.
    This is a bit underwhelming, especially if you can get haste from another source.
    Innate Ability: Parry -- Passive, Special
    A Fencer is an extremely skilled combatant, able to turn away even the strongest of blows with but a thought. Parry allows the Fencer to add their ACC score to their EVA against a number of attacks per combat equal to the Fencer's DEX rating.
    On the other hand, this is overwhelming. Adding accuracy to evasion makes you practically unhittable. At high levels, you’ll basically be able to do this for the entire encounter (30 dex for ten times an encounter)
    Swarmstrike -- Passive, Self[/CENTER]
    The Fencer has taken stinging like a bee to the next level, applying the poisontouch weapon ability to all weapons they wield. Additionally, once per session, the Fencer may choose to attack normally, dealing no damage, but automatically inflicting poison on the target.
    Secondary effect isn’t strong enough to only be used 1 time a session. Maybe increasing it to SPR rating/session

Shadowstick -- Standard, Single
    Beyond their ability to move quickly, a Fencer is able to reduce an enemy's ability to do the same. The Fencer attacks, dealing no damage, but reducing the target's EVA to 0 until the end of the Fencer's next turn. This ability may be used a number of times per session equal to the Fencer's INT rating.
    Looks good.
    Checkmate -- Slow, Single
    The Fencer strikes at the target's throat, dealing no immediate damage, but stopping the target's life-giving (or unlife-giving) functions after 4 rounds, effectively inflicting death. Some bosses may be immune to this ability. This ability is usable only once per session.
    I’d be careful about giving death abilities to characters at early levels. It doesn’t look too powerful though.
    Featherblow -- Standard, Single
    Fencers have the ability to strike almost anything, though such accuracy comes at the cost of power. As fast as lightning, the Fencer attacks with a +6 bonus to ACC, but deals only 50% damage.
    Should be fine.
    Swallowtail -- Standard, Local
    The Fencer attacks all creatures within range, making attacks as normal against every subject target. This ability may be only be used once per combat.
    Should be group, not local. Be careful though, a fencer that takes the weapon training ability could hit every enemy in sight with a ranged weapon.
    Manastrike -- Slow, Single
    A Fencer's ability lies not only in their ability to strike at the body, but also at the soul. The Fencer makes a normal attack. The damage dealt by this attack instead damages the target's MP. If the target's MP would be reduced to 0 or less, leftover damage becomes HP damage. This ability may be used a number of times per session equal to the Fencer's INT rating.
    Looks a bit on the weaker side. Maybe making it standard instead of slow?
    Piercethrough -- Standard, Special
    Reaching out with their weapon, the Fencer is able to strike two enemies by literally going through a target. The Fencer attacks normally, but is able to attack two enemies, provided the second target is within range of attack. This ability may be used a number of times per session equal to the Fencer's DEX rating.
    Looks good.
    Nighthawk -- Standard, Single
    Lunging forward and leaping back, creating a wave of force by striking forward, or simply with force of will, the Fencer attacks at a Medium range, dealing damage as normal. This ability is usable a number of times per combat equal to the Fencer's INT rating.
    Looks good.
    Riposte -- Passive
    A Fencer has trained extensively in the art of returning attacks directed against them. Whenever the Fencer successfully uses their Parry ability to stop an attack, they may immediately counterattack, as the Brawl weapon category ability. This ability may be used a number of times per session equal to the Fencer's DEX rating.
    Successfully means you used parry, or you used it and the enemy missed? Personally I would make usage based on INT since Parry is already DEX, but it’s your call.
    Evasive Maneuvers -- Passive, Self
    Zigging and zagging, hopping and skipping, and running and crawling around the battlefield, the Fencer is better able to avoid attacks. Any round in which the Fencer moves, they gain a +2 bonus to EVA until the end of their next turn.
    I’m not really sure this works with the abstract movement system. You could just say you move a short range to the enemy’s side, granting this bonus every round.
    Barrage -- Standard, Varies
    The Fencer stabs forward countless times, striking a weak point in the enemy with each lunge. The Fencer makes ten attacks, which may be against a single enemy or multiple enemies. Every attack is made at a -10 penalty to ACC and deals 50% damage. This ability may be used a number of times per session equal to the Fencer's DEX rating.
    Slow down the game, much? 10 attacks a round just seems a bit excessive.
    Legendary Accessory: Plume: Fencer Only. +6 DEX, +4 INT. The carrier of the Plume is able to automatically dodge a single attack, spell, or effect once per session. The attack dodged cannot be a limit break.
    Seems fine.
    Check out the Final Fantasy d6 System by Dust.
    Tophat imp avatar by Darwin. (Imps are DEVILS not demons)

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I'd name it "Typhoon." It's more memorable, I think.
    Sorry, late on the quote-back. I used Wind Spear because it is a reoccurring, above-average middle of the game weapon, which is approximately where it'll pop up and its purpose. I should note though I realized after posting that weapons don't start getting 2 abilities until tier 5. For my game I may hand-wave it since it was my mistake, but it should either have the Quickhit special ability removed (added critical damage is going to get a lot of mileage on a reach weapon, especially in the hands of a dragoon I imagine), or up it to tier 5.

Was wondering what the thoughts were on the low-level monsters? Dust seems to (dis)like the nettlehopper I noticed, haha.

17. - Top - End - #47

4hp/level is worse than the thief. There doesn’t seem to be much reason to take blades over concealed.
    Gasp! Someone is critiquing my work in this thread! Excellent.

I'm aware of both of these things. I figured that because of the Fencer's exceptional ACC and EVA, as well as abilities that raise both (plus more), +4 should be enough.

Rapiers could probably be easily fluffed as Concealed weapons or Blade weapons, though Blade fits slightly better, I think.

This is a bit underwhelming, especially if you can get haste from another source.
    I'm not sure about it being underwhelming overall, but I'll change it so it stacks with Haste. That should push it up to epic level.

On the other hand, this is overwhelming. Adding accuracy to evasion makes you practically unhittable. At high levels, you’ll basically be able to do this for the entire encounter (30 dex for ten times an encounter)
    I was worried about this. Originally, I had the ability to roll an attack and use the result in place of their EVA, regardless of whether it was higher or lower. That seemed a little underpowered, so I changed it. I was tired at the time of posting, so my judgment was a little wonky. Does anyone have any ideas for an innate ability that doesn't rely on "uses?"

Secondary effect isn’t strong enough to only be used 1 time a session. Maybe increasing it to SPR rating/session
    I based this ability off the Ninja's Beso Toxico ability. Seeing as Beso Toxico is a Spell Effect enhancement (tier 3 required), I suppose it could do with a bit of an upgrade--especially since the poison can happen with a normal attack.

I’d be careful about giving death abilities to characters at early levels. It doesn’t look too powerful though.
    I think the limited usage is enough to warrant a death effect at any level, really. A once-per-session delayed death effect, after all, isn't that powerful. It's probably limited against bosses, so there's that, too.

Should be group, not local. Be careful though, a fencer that takes the weapon training ability could hit every enemy in sight with a ranged weapon.
    I stuck it with Local because, if I remember correctly, the Fencer in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance hit everyone around them, not just enemies. I thought the flavor-stick wouldn't be that bad, considering it's a Short range ability; it's also a balancing factor, however. Getting a ranged weapon would make this ability extremely dangerous for the Fencer's allies.

Looks a bit on the weaker side. Maybe making it standard instead of slow?
    I can level with that.

Successfully means you used parry, or you used it and the enemy missed? Personally I would make usage based on INT since Parry is already DEX, but it’s your call.
    I suppose that is vague wording. I'll fix that. I had meant for it to mean Parry being successful in stopping an enemy's attack, not the Fencer using it to stop an attack.

I really want the innate ability to not be based on anything, which would deal with the attribute affinity issue. Again, any ideas?

I’m not really sure this works with the abstract movement system. You could just say you move a short range to the enemy’s side, granting this bonus every round.
    It works with the system, but it's kind of dumb since it applies every round. I have no idea what I was thinking when I made this. I'll change it. I just got an idea.

Slow down the game, much? 10 attacks a round just seems a bit excessive.
    Slowing the game was my primary concern. Should I just make it like X-Fight (Ranger)?

Thanks much. I appreciate it.
    Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Gasp! Someone is critiquing my work in this thread! Excellent.
    I've got too much time on my hands.

I'm not sure about it being underwhelming overall, but I'll change it so it stacks with Haste. That should push it up to epic level.
    Yeah, haste can also be dispelled, so it fixes that problem, too.

I was worried about this. Originally, I had the ability to roll an attack and use the result in place of their EVA, regardless of whether it was higher or lower. That seemed a little underpowered, so I changed it. I was tired at the time of posting, so my judgment was a little wonky. Does anyone have any ideas for an innate ability that doesn't rely on "uses?"
    Eh, this is a toughie. It could be something as simple as "After landing a successful attack, the fencer's evasion increases by 2." Or evasion increases when using the defend options (it normally lowers damage by 50% or something).

I think the limited usage is enough to warrant a death effect at any level, really. A once-per-session delayed death effect, after all, isn't that powerful. It's probably limited against bosses, so there's that, too.
    Yeah, you're right. I'm just so used to death effects not being available until late-game (and them sucking, anyway).

I stuck it with Local because, if I remember correctly, the Fencer in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance hit everyone around them, not just enemies. I thought the flavor-stick wouldn't be that bad, considering it's a Short range ability; it's also a balancing factor, however. Getting a ranged weapon would make this ability extremely dangerous for the Fencer's allies.
    Oh, I was under the impression local also affected terrain and stuff. You might want to specify in the description that it includes allies (unless you already did and I missed it)

I suppose that is vague wording. I'll fix that. I had meant for it to mean Parry being successful in stopping an enemy's attack, not the Fencer using it to stop an attack.

I really want the innate ability to not be based on anything, which would deal with the attribute affinity issue. Again, any ideas?
    It could just be after evading an attack.

Slowing the game was my primary concern. Should I just make it like X-Fight (Ranger)?
    Yeah, you could just copy the ability if you want.

19. - Top - End - #49

Oh, I was under the impression local also affected terrain and stuff. You might want to specify in the description that it includes allies (unless you already did and I missed it)
    You're right; it does. I thought it could apply to abilities that affected everything, including terrain, but also abilities that affected everyone...guess not. Changed.

I suppose I'll specify that allies are affected, too, since a lot of people, I guess, will assume "all creatures" is code for "all enemies."

Also, the Fencer is updated.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-11-20 at 01:37 AM.
    Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

New notorious monster. Worried it may result in a TPK but I 'spose we'll see.

Angler Whelk
    Spoiler
    Show

Before you is a giant spiked conch shell, gold in color and nearly the size of a train car. When the creature’s mucus-green head pokes out you see it is carrying some kind of treasure chest in its tendril-filled maw. Its beady eyes begin to glow, and the shell starts to crackle with electricity, but you NEED that chest!

This horrible monster uses the promise of treasure to lure adventurers into its grasp, then uses its surprising aptitude for magic to destroy them utterly. It has a few weaknesses however, the primary being its head. However the head will retract into the shell after damage has been done to it several times. This leaves only the tough shell to crack, which generally alternates between making a normal attack or casting a spell, Thunder or a 25% chance to cast Revenge. It also has a 25% chance to counter attacks with Thunder. When the head is out it will cast Laser Eyes on its first turn, and El Nino as a group attack using the Blue Mage job ability Aura Magic on its second.
    Its second weakness is its dependency on magic. If the shell runs out of MP it will simply go dormant, no longer taking actions of any kind. The head does not suffer from this weakness, and can use the chest it holds as a weapon if need be. The whelk also has a small weakness to fire.

Level 3 Smart, Notorious monster
    Categories: Abnormal, Aquan, Beast
    Environments: Water, Swamps, Underground, Towns
    Size: 15 ft, both tall and long

HP: 138 (Shell) 69 (Head), MP: 58 (each)
    STR: 4+1, DEX: 6+2, VIT: 10+3, INT: 14+4, SPI: 2
    EVA: 9, Base ACC: 8, ARM: 10 (Shell) 4 (Head), M.ARM: 6 (Shell) 8 (Head)

Attacks (Shell): Smash Tackle: ACC 8, 8+2d6 dam.
    Spells (Shell): Thunder, Revenge
    Abilities (Shell): Magical Counterattack (Thunder, 25%), Magic Dependant (cannot take actions if out of MP), Vulnerable Fire, Absorb Water

Attacks (Head): *Treasure Slam: ACC 8, 12+2d6 dam.
    Desperation: ACC 4, 4+2d6 dam. (Note: The whelk will only use this attack if it cannot recover the chest, and then only if it is out of MP)
    Spells (Head): Laser Eyes, El Nino
    Abilities: (Head): Shell Dependant (if the Shell is out of MP, the Head can no longer retract), Retract (after being attacked by two separate characters, the Head is removed from combat for 1d6 rounds), Aura Magic (useable 3 times), Vulnerable Fire, Absorb Water

Abilities (Shared): *Multiple Parts, Large, No Mercy, Immunity (Mini, Charm, Stun, Fear)

Rewards: Drop - Magician Shoes, Rubber Suit, Rank 1 Magicite (Bismark), 2,000 gil, Steal - Tent, Refine - Lightning Marble

El Nino, Rank 1 Blue Magic (15 MP)
    Target: Single
    Type: Elemental (Fire, Water)
    Reflectable

The area around the target is filled with bubbles rising from the ground that have the multi-colored look of oil in water. The water is scalding hot, and deals (INT x 4) +2d6 points of Fire or Water damage, whichever the target is weaker against.

So I suppose that this is a monster AND a spell, even though their isn't a Blue Mage in the party, ungrateful players... The treasure is a bit heavy, but that is intentional as the whole point for the group right now is finding that chest. The items listed are just what I put in there.
    Last edited by Zansumkai; 2010-12-15 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Balance Concerns

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dunno what to say about the level of that monster. On the one hand, I think it can absolutely do a TPK if you don't use potions every round, and on the other, it has HP so that you could chop the head off with two or three or four attacks. With a bit more HP I'd push it even to level 5 or 6.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mega-elixir at level 3?

No no no no no

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Mega-elixir at level 3?

No no no no no
    Think it's too much? I was concerned at first thinking that they would just try to fence it as soon as they got back to town, but realistically who would buy it? Don't think giving them one reset button, level 3 or otherwise, is throwing things too far out of balance. At any rate though, it's kind of a moot point since the party doesn't have a thief.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just a question about the scholar, would giving him a job ability that allow him to learn time magic would be too much? Because well if the Red Mage can get it why not the Scholar who is very similar to him in term of magic.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DualShadow View Post
    Just a question about the scholar, would giving him a job ability that allow him to learn time magic would be too much? Because well if the Red Mage can get it why not the Scholar who is very similar to him in term of magic.
    My only experience of a Scholar is FF3 for the DS, and in that at least they could only use Black & White. Guess I don't see any reason to give them Time Magic, AFAIK it's not a legacy ability in the games and while I would like to give them Time Magic, I feel minor access to Blue Magic makes up for it.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

My only experience of a Scholar is FF3 for the DS, and in that at least they could only use Black & White. Guess I don't see any reason to give them Time Magic, AFAIK it's not a legacy ability in the games and while I would like to give them Time Magic, I feel minor access to Blue Magic makes up for it.
    In other news, K-B needs to get to Spira and run his game. /stern.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

In other news, K-B needs to get to Spira and run his game. /stern.
    I'm working on it you impatient Son of a Shoopuf

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm working on it you impatient Son of a Shoopuf
    *starts working on the Shoopuf as a playable race*
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just so everything's in one place, I'm going to re-post the chemist class here.

Chemist

Statistics
    Spoiler
    Show
    Chemists have the same statistics (HP/MP per level, weapon/armor proficiencies, skill points, ACC, and EVA) as the Engineer with one exception. They lose access to Huge weapons and gain proficiency with concealed weapons instead.

Epic Ability: Grand Concoction
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Instant/Group) - A chemist, in dire circumstances, can create a powerful concoction capable of turning the tides in a battle. Upon using this ability, the Chemist chooses from the list below, and uses the effects of that potion.
    The higher a chemist's Synthesis (Alchemy) skill is, the more choices that character can choose. For example, the character only needs a single skill point in Synthesis (Alchemy) in order to use Potion Spray, but requires 5 skill points in order to use Phoenix Tear.
    {table]Skill|Potion|Effect
    1|Potion Spray|The group recovers 100hp
    2|Ether Spray|The group recovers 100mp
    3|X-Remedy|The group recovers from all negative status effects and gains immunity to negative status effects until the end of the chemist’s next turn
    4|Shilixer|The group increases their armor and magic armor by an amount equal to the chemist’s level
    5|Phoenix Tear|All unconscious group members are revived at full HP. This has no effect on subjects killed by the “No Mercy” ability.
    6|Megalixer|All conscious group member are restored to full HP and MP.
    7|Angel Tear|The group is restored to full HP and receives the effects of auto-life.
    8+|???|All unconscious group members revive at 1HP. All group members then receive the effects of Haste, Protect, and Shell.[/table]

Innate Ability: Refine, just as Engineer.

Job Abilities
    Spoiler
    Show
    The chemist loses access to the following Engineer Abilities: Soul of Thamasa, Maintenance, Salvage, Junkyard, and Pandora’s Box.
    The chemist may still pick the following Engineer Abilities: Chemist (change name to Auto-Potion), Oil Spill, Twin Accessory, Gillionaire, and Efficient Construction.

New Job Abilities
    Spoiler
    Show
    The chemist may select from the following 5 abilities when they would gain a new ability. Engineers may not select these.
    Throw Potion (Standard/Single): A chemist may throw any recovery item (including phoenix downs) from a distance. They may target any ally that they see, regardless of the distance. This ability can be used a number of times per session equal to the chemist’s strength rating.
    Art of Healing (Special): Any good chemist knows that it is important to be both well versed in creating potions and salves in addition to being able to know how to apply them. Whenever the chemist uses an item on an ally, that ally recovers HP equal to twice the chemist’s intelligence score. This even applies to items such as phoenix downs and eye drops, that normally don’t heal.
    Bottomless Bags (Special): A chemist may carry 20 items, instead of the usual 10.
    Alchemical Coating (Instant/Single): The chemist may coat one of their, or an ally’s weapon with an alchemical substance. This causes the target’s next physical attack to do any element type in damage, including shadow and holy. This alchemical coating is lost after the target first hits an opponent. This may be used a number of times per session equal to the chemist’s INT rating.
    Dispensary (Instant/Self): Some chemists seem to have a never-ending supply of items. Whenever a chemist uses an item, the character may choose not to remove it from their inventory. This may be used a number of times per session equal to the chemist’s SPR rating. This cannot apply to elixers, megalixers, three stars, or a supreme gem.

Legendary Accessory: Philosopher's Stone
    Spoiler
    Show
    +6 INT, +4 DEX. When the Chemist uses Grand Concoction, the character keeps a copy of that item to be used at a later time, in addition to the effect being immediately used. This item may be used on the entire party at any later time, but there can only be one Grand Concoction in the chemist's inventory at any given time, and dispensary may not be used with it.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Barbarian in the Playground

Anybody know if this system would be good for adapting another series?