New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Conquering the Fantasy Kitchen Sink - Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo!

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 66

Spoiler
    Show
    Suika: I'll lend you my strength.

Reimu: Huh? I haven't even said anything.

Now now, no need to be shy. I'm sure you know the power of an ancient Oni well, don't you?

...Yes, very well indeed.

Such a powerful Oni is offering her strength to you. It's so gracious and honourable, don't you think?

Yes yes...Well, it's true that you're really strong, so you'll probably be helpful...Alright, I'll be counting on you.

Mm, that's good. Oni like honest people after all...I do have one duty that must be carried out properly, though.

What would that be?

Isn't it obvious? I must have a feast to welcome my entrance into your army! Now, let's drink up!

Good grief...Well, it certainly helps that you have sake that is basically free.

No can do, this is for Oni only! And I want to drink some human sake anyway. C'mon, let's do it!

...I don't think we need you after all.

*burp* *hic* Ahahahaha!

Suika Ibuki became an ally.

Well, I think we've spent enough time just sitting on our hands. Time to conquer our foes at full force! That means three attacks in a single turn! With each attack, one more Prismriver sister will join this concert of ours.

BGM: Ghostly Band ~ Phantom Ensemble ~ Sengoku Arr. ~

The Prismriver sisters actually have pretty sweet abilities, at least in my estimation. Lyrica's special is a mass healing spell for her entire team. The actual amount it heals by isn't quite that strong, but it will go off again for every one of her turns. Only the first time she casts it costs anything from her battle counter. Think of her as a bard committing to playing a healing song for the rest of the fight. While annoying, I don't think it's quite that bad on its own. However, this can get downright ugly once combined with what her sisters can do.

Merlin's party-wide buff spell is notably different from the standard Rally spell, which is already great on its own. Hers is much more random, and potentially far more potent. Every stat for each of her allies will be randomly raised, possibly by multiple points (+3 is the cap for any single stat buff). While random, it is still very strong and can stack if she uses it again during the fight. The worst-case scenario would be if she raises her team's defense while Lyrica casts her healing spell, as this would make it remarkably hard to do any damage to her. Don't be surprised if your damage dealers suddenly start putting up only 2-digit numbers after Merlin's buff.

Lunasa's special can be just as potent as Merlin's. It's basically a mirror of Merlin's spell: a random party-wide debuff for all enemies. After it went off, I noticed that many stats had gone down by at least 2 points, which is a pretty big deal. Like buffs, the cap for stat debuffs is -3. As a whole, the Prismriver Sisters' abilities aren't back-breaking if only one of them manages to cast something. However, if multiple sisters get to use their specials, their combined effects can be pretty devastating.

(Where was Lily White during all this?)

The long staircase that led to Hakugyokurou was a daunting mountain that any visitors had to overcome. Most of the living, no matter how strong they were, would give up before they reached the halfway point.

At the very top of those steps, Youmu was swinging two swords up and down rhythmically.

Youmu: Hoo...The barrier has been broken through...so I must protect this place with my life. I must not let anyone pass.

She muttered as she looked down the staircase. As the bodyguard of the Saigyouji Clan, she prided herself on her ability to protect her master. Unfortunately, that master was considerably stronger than her.

I, Youmu Konpaku, shall put my half-life on the line and defend this place till my dying breath!

She sliced with her swords into a dramatic pose. The deafening sound of complete silence made it clear that no one was around to see her.

...*sigh* Saying things like that when no one is around must make me look like an idiot.

She looked at the sky through the reflection on her sword. The thin light that reflected as such revealed a completely cloudless sky.

A lost or disorderly mind leads to disorder in swordsmanship...Hmm, actually, I haven't cut anything in a while. I usually get scolded if I do.

Youmu had her own reasons for wanting to slice various things, but of course, her behavior was quite an inconvenience to the others involved. Youmu was never good at understanding the obvious things.

I wonder if my skills have deteriorated...Mmph!

Youmu lifted her Hakurouken to her front in a battle stance, and focused all her senses into the blade. A pallid light started to glow from the sword. She then aimed at the sky, and swung her sword down.

Haah! ...Hmm, yes, it has deteriorated. I would've thought that my Blade Flash could have reached further than that.

The projectile that flew out from the sword flew several meters away from Youmu, then disappeared. She was not happy with the distance it traveled at all.

If we receive an enemy attack, I may not be able to protect Lady Yuyuko...Alright, I must do a special training course!

She returned to the mansion, seemingly resolute, and quickly returned carrying a bunch of human-shaped items.

An important tool for practicing swordsmanship and everyone's friend, Mr. Strawman! Many swordmasters in history used these in their daily training.

A human-shaped doll made of straw...complete with legs, arms and a head, though they did not seem very securely tied. Youmu took one of the dolls, and threw it up into the sky. She then jumped up after it.

Hyaaaaaaaaaah!!

With a shout to focus her spirit, she began slicing at a speed that ordinary people could not even dream of. The feeling and sounds of slicing made Youmu feel good as she and the doll hit the ground.

Whew...Alright, that was well cut. It seems my swordsmanship has not dulled...Ahhh!?

Poor Mr. Strawman's massacred corpse was rolling on the floor. Its legs and arms were cleanly sliced off, but the head still remained.

No way! I hit all five of the swordskills perfectly...!

The right arm, the right leg, the left arm, the left leg, and finally the head...She had most likely made a simple mistake.

My sword and heart must truly be clouded...I must concentrate, or I will be a burden on Lady Yuyuko!

She continued throwing and slicing strawman after strawman...The ghosts who saw that bloodcurdling scene would go on to call her the "Demon From Hell".

Turn: 66
    Ouki: 6779
    Ryumaku: 112/137
    Actions Available: 3

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine
    Defense: 250/250
    Cost to Develop: 27 RES

Night-Blind Road
    Defense: 160/160
    Cost to Develop: 33 RES

Faintly Dark Path
    Defense: 175/175
    \Cost to Develop: 33 RES

Magic Forest Entrance
    Defense: 180/180

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior
    Defense: 210/210
    cost to Develop: 9 RES

Road of Reconsideration
    Defense: 190/190
    Cost to Develop: 30 RES

Muenzuka
    Defense: 215/215
    Cost to Develop: 6 RES

Human Village
    Defense: 310/310
    Cost to Develop: 36 RES

Garden of the Sun

Nameless Hill
    Defense: 205/205
    Cost to Develop: 9 RES

Misty Lake
    Defense: 225/225

SDM Gate
    Defense: 230/230
    Cost to Develop: 12 RES

Great Library
    Defense: 195/195
    Cost to Develop: 18 RES

Clock Tower

SDM Top Floor

Lost Bamboo Forest

Hidden House

Eientei

Blossoms Barrier
    Defense: 220/220

Enemy Territories:

Hakugyokurou Stairs
    Army: Hakugyokurou Hades
    General: Youmu Konpaku
    Defense: 200/200

Hakugyokurou
    General: Yuyuko Saigyouji (leader)
    Defense: 235/235

Yakumo Residence
    Army: Yakumo Clan
    General: Yukari Yakumo (leader)

Special Events:

War Declaration: Yakumo Clan
    Costs 10 NEG to declare war.

As I said before, Monday nights are looking pretty busy for me, so I probably won't be able to update tomorrow.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-12-12 at 11:45 PM.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

The abilities of the Prismriver sisters makes some sense. Lunasa is the depressive one, Merlin is the overly excitable one, and Lyrica is the one who goads others into fighting for her.

As for Lily White, I'm not sure if spring will happen while fighting Youmu or Yuyuko.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

3. - Top - End - #483
    Orc in the Playground

Wow, three attacks and a territory in one turn. That's...pretty fast.

Is there a team for defense as well, or is the plan now just focusing everyone on attacking and disregarding counterattacks?

4. - Top - End - #484
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EifieFlare View Post
    Wow, three attacks and a territory in one turn. That's...pretty fast.

Is there a team for defense as well, or is the plan now just focusing everyone on attacking and disregarding counterattacks?
    Well, with a full group of characters, we can probably attack 3 times and defend relatively well in the same turn.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Orc in the Playground

If I counted correctly, then I think we have 19 units devoted to battling. Not quite perfect, but yeah that should do. If we had to, we could probably go and get Reisen or someone to replace a generic as well.

In other news, I have no idea where that prisoners list ran off to.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IncoherentEssay View Post
    The 'dissipating distance' bit just bugs me though , in the vein of "if i can BS the wording enough, my power can do anything". I blame Yukari for that trend .
    They're like Nobilis characters, really. (Warning: TVTropes link. Follow at your own risk.)
    Last edited by Arbane; 2010-12-13 at 02:19 AM.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

7. - Top - End - #487

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 67

Spoiler
    Show
    One territory per day ain't bad, right?

I find it boring to fight Hakugyokurou's mooks, because they're all just indistinguishable ghosts. I like the prismrivers, but they alone just can't carry it. And I'll admit, I'm not a big fan of Youmu. Sorry.

Eirin: Oh my, I didn't expect to meet you here.

Youmu: Given the circumstances, I believe that should be my line.

Ah, don't worry about it too much. How have your eyes been doing?

Ah yes, I believe they are fine now, thanks to you. I can look at the moon in the sky without any problems.

It progressed well, it seems. Do be careful still. The moon's waves drive people insane slowly. Try not to look at the moon too long until you grow a little.

...Um, will a half-ghost like me still grow?

...Not just in body, but in mind as well.

Understood. Thank you very much for your house visit.

Take care of yourself. Now then, since I'm here, I'll take the chance to examine things besides your eyesight.

Finally, Youmu comes out to play.

Her special's not bad at all, as it positions her properly while dealing decent damage without any recoil. It's probably a lot more useful for a few certain fights near the end of the game where distances are often not in your favor, and taking an extra turn to reposition yourself often means you won't live to your next turn anyway. Okay, so only one enemy in this game regularly shuffles positions, but man is it annoying.

Youmu: Lady Yuyuko, I am terribly sorry...Because of my inexperience, I have failed to defend our territory.

Yuyuko: Yes, it was quite inexperienced of you.

Oof...!

The way you are now, even being my bodyguard would be asking too much.

Ugh...!

Perhaps I should relieve you of your duties, so you will have the free time to train and become stronger and more helpful.

Ooh...Ooooooh...

Oh my, Youmu, are you overcome with happiness at my musings?

It is the exact opposite! Why are you always like this, Lady Yuyuko...

Am I being harsh, you say? Youmu, did you know that tramping on barley makes them grow stronger? See?

Please don't rub my back like that...

I'm laying the foundations for you to get stronger. Alright, now you've become strong.

Everyone would be really strong if it was that easy!

Perhaps, but I believe such a method would be most effective for someone like you.

What do you mean?

Because now you know how much I worry about your matters. So do keep it up, mm? I'll be expecting better things from you from now on.

...Ah...Yes! Thank you very much! I will devote my entire life and being to doing my best for your sake! I'm ready for anything now!

The formerly-dejected Youmu became energetic in an instant, practically flying out of the room after giving a victory sign to her master.

My my...Do remember to come back before dinner~. So even she has been defeated by them...Perhaps it's about time I make my entrance.

Hakugyokurou was so quiet, that you could hear a pin drop. Its master, Yuyuko Saigyouji, was sitting inside one of the rooms, calmly drinking tea.

Yuyuko: A tea stalk floating erect~ leads to a healthy today and tomorrow~ From the ever-desired lady of the white gem, Yuyuko. Mm, a good poem, if I do say so myself...My, there's no more tea. And I've run out of tea cakes as well. Is anyone there~?

Yuyuko clapped her hands as she called out, and a servant ghost of the mansion quickly appeared. It seemed to be trying to bow courteously, but being a ghost, it was hard to tell.

Ah, I've ran out of tea and cakes. Please bring some more here.

Upon receiving Yuyuko's request, the ghost took the empty teacup, opened the sliding screen door, and floated away. The way it worked, one might even call it polite for a ghost.

It's been so hot lately. And if that's the case here, it must be like hell on earth in the world of the living. Which would make this heaven comparatively. The area where the living reside is hell, and the Netherworld where the dead gather is heaven...That's quite a sense of irony.

[i]A satisfied smile played on her lips. The ghost from before then returned with a small Lantern Festival teapot and a box of cakes.

Thank you, you may return now. Ah, please leave the door open as you go.

The ghost heeded Yuyuko's order, bowed several times, and left. It wasn't easy to tell where its head was, but maybe Yuyuko herself actually knew.

Mm, now it's cool. Such a nice wind today. A pleasant coolness along with the warmth of tea flowing through the body...Such supreme luxury...

...It somehow feels like I've done this all before...Is this what one would call "deja vu"? My, I must be careful about my mental health.

No one was around to ask her why she would care about her health when she's dead. She continued to look at the courtyard through the open room silently, with a warm cup of tea in her hands.

Scenery gets even more beautiful after death, and a deceased spirit shines even brighter than when alive...Death is when a spirit sheds its impure clothing. And when a person's life ends, a flower blooms...I wonder what kind of flower bloomed for me? It must surely be something large and dazzlingly beautiful.

Yuyuko's gaze had left the garden, and moved to the splendid Saigyou Ayakashi some distance away from the mansion. Was she aware of its significance to her? If she was, she certainly wasn't telling anyone.

The cherry blossoms next year will surely bloom brilliantly as well. Perhaps the living and the dead can go flower-viewing together...It would be fun. But Youmu will start crying again at the thought of cleaning up...Maybe I will help her out a little this time.

With the barrier gone, even the living could easily visit Hakugyokurou. Yukari constantly delaying the repair of the barrier may well have been a show of kindness to one of her best friends.

???: ...Our regular meeting shall now begin.

???: It certainly doesn't feel like a meeting.

You just need to get in the mood. So what's the situation on the outside?

The Hakurei...The army led by the shrine maiden and the magician have almost conquered all of Gensokyo. At this point, it is just a matter of time.

So no major changes, I see. How about our own preparations?

Our preparations are more or less complete. We can mobilize anytime.

...And about the outside?

As I said, the Hakurei-

That's not what I meant...Uh...You know...

...They have not given any indication of attacking us. We seem to be outside the boundary of their thought.

...I see. *sigh* So I'm the only one making a fuss like an idiot?

At least it will remain peaceful.

Yes, it is peaceful here...But if we stay isolated here for so long, no one will have any memories of us, and it'd be as if we were never there to begin with.

I understand how you feel, but...

......Hm, wait a second...

The figure's head then fell downwards and its hand went to its chin, seemingly deep in thought. After some time, the figure slowly lifted its head again.

...Our side is fully prepared. But they have not even put us into consideraton...This is a great chance to get our reputation back!

Lady ???, that is...

The second figure tried to interject, but the first figure was already completely enthralled by her own plan.

My, you're objecting to it? You don't feel anything about the time you lost to them?

But...

???: Yeaaah, I agree!

The two figures quickly looked at the direction the shout came from, and found three small figures flying at them.

???: Geez, don't shout like that when we're so close!

???: ...Loud.

G-Geez, sorry!

...It really is getting very difficult to figure out who's who.

Huh? Did you say something?

Nope, I didn't. What were you three on about?

Ah, we were eavesdropping on your conversation!

...Idiot. *smack*

Oww! Why did you hit me!?

They made Lady ??? look like a fool, so we've gotta make them pay! We'll show them our true power!

Yeah, yeah! We're all prepared too!

...*nod*

Li'l ???, li'l ???, and even li'l ???...It makes me happy to see you all so willing. You're all such good children.

Yaaay, we were praised~.

It seems you're the only one who doesn't want to do it, li'l ???.

I am not objecting to the possibility. I simply think the timing must be appropriate.

Hm hm...I get it, that does sound like it'll be even more fun. You come up with some really good plans, li'l ???!

Lady ???, what's going on?

Hehehe, it's a secret. Now now, everyone, please prepare yourselves and wait a little longer. The time will come, and it will be so much fun...Ehehehe...

...Scary.

Now, you three should return to your posts.

Okay! Please excuse us!

Let's head on back! C'mon ???, don't get left behind~!

...It must be nice to be young and energetic.

We have to do this for the children as well. We won't let ourselves be forgotten so easily!

Turn: 67
    Ouki: 11099
    Ryumaku: 113/140

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine

Night-Blind Road

Faintly Dark Path

Magic Forest Entrance

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior

Road of Reconsideration

Muenzuka

Human Village

Garden of the Sun

Nameless Hill

Misty Lake

SDM Gate

Great Library
    Cost to Develop: 21 RES

Clock Tower

SDM Top Floor

Lost Bamboo Forest

Hidden House

Eientei

Blossoms Barrier

Hakugyokurou Stairs

Enemy Territories:

Hakugyokurou
    General: Yuyuko Saigyouji (leader)

Yakumo Residence

Special Events:

War Declaration: Yakumo Clan
    Costs 10 NEG to declare war.

Since we're approaching the end of the game, I've been thinking of ideas to continue this Let's Play beyond the story's conclusion. How about messing around with the game's National Mode? We can even use edited data. That means submitting our own characters that can appear in the game! I'll probably have to write my own random scenarios too. But which army should we go with...

More details to come.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou

8. - Top - End - #488
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
    Since we're approaching the end of the game, I've been thinking of ideas to continue this Let's Play beyond the story's conclusion. How about messing around with the game's National Mode? We can even use edited data. That means submitting our own characters that can appear in the game! I'll probably have to write my own random scenarios too. But which army should we go with...

More details to come.
    As a note for anyone who might submit characters: Your character can appear for the other teams as a freelancer as well. If you make your character too overpowered, it'll hurt us as well if they get recruited by the others.

Anyway, I vote for playing as the Mountain of Faith team if we go into National Mode. They're the only unique team that's not represented in the game already (in Normal anyway, I haven't tried the harder difficulties yet), so why not? The only problem (much like the problem for another team) would be finding a place to start off in, but that can be fixed with the various map settings I guess. As for random scenarios, have fun with it. The great thing about scenarios when using the MoF crew would be that they would all have to be original, rather than viewpoint shifts for other teams already in the game.

Alternatively, you could just move on to another game. I'm not sure what could follow, but there's a ton of options to pick from.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

Now Loli Alice, Yuki and Mai show up show up. And we see zen master Yuyuko here.
    And don't worry Shinki, I think people who play Mystic Square will still remember you.
    I have a few questions though, what happens if Mai meets Cirno, Sakuya meets Yumeko, or Meiling meets Sara?

As for Youmu, don't worry about how you look because some people like you being cute, although acting less childish than Polnareff might be better.

As for the army in national mode, I say go for the strongest and pick Cirno's army and maybe we can create team 9.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

10. - Top - End - #490

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin89 View Post
    I have a few questions though, what happens if Mai meets Cirno, Sakuya meets Yumeko, or Meiling meets Sara?
    How interesting that you bring those up. All three are unlockable dialogue cutscenes.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Orc in the Playground

Now Loli Alice, Yuki and Mai show up show up. And we see zen master Yuyuko here.
    And don't worry Shinki, I think people who play Mystic Square will still remember you.
    Sshhhh, they aren't supposed to kn-...oh whatever.

Next question/answer (only partially ninja'd by Mirrinus):
    Spoiler
    Show
    All three of them get cutscenes, at Eientei, SDM Top Floor, and Hakugyokurou, respectively. Cirno's cutscene can activate when going against either Yuki or Mai too.

Further cutscenes include: Eiki-Louise (Muenzuka), Yuyuko-Sara (Hakugyokurou), Kaguya-Yuki/Mai (Eientei), Alice-Young Alice (Magic Forest Interior, like anyone didn't see this coming), Remilia-Yumeko (SDM Top Floor), Reimu-Shinki (Hakurei Shrine), Marisa-Shinki (Hakurei Shrine), Yuuka-Shinki (Hakurei Shrine), and Alice-Shinki (Hakurei Shrine).
    Last edited by EifieFlare; 2010-12-14 at 10:42 PM.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Seems to make sense seeing as how they're the masters of the territories. I'm actually sort of suprised that Cirno has dialogue with the Yuki/Mai group. Mai and Cirno both have wings and use ice magic, but still.

13. - Top - End - #493

Quote Originally Posted by EifieFlare View Post
    Alternatively, you could just move on to another game. I'm not sure what could follow, but there's a ton of options to pick from.
    I had been curious about Genius of Sapphieros, but there's no English patch for that at the moment, and I don't like the idea of running a LP if I can't even read the text. I've also considered Touhou Mother (a.k.a. TOUHOUBOUND), but there's already multiple video LP's for that on youtube, and I don't know what else to add since it's already hilarious enough as is.

I suppose Touhou Pocket Wars EVO is not a bad choice, since I've only played the original, and haven't touched EVO yet. But I have no clue how to incorporate any sort of story to it, given its very grindy nature.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah. Touhou Mother... The Video LP of it I saw was one of the best i have ever seen.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Orc in the Playground

I had been curious about Genius of Sapphieros, but there's no English patch for that at the moment.
    They just got a beta version out; suffice to say, it's still very much a work in progress. Most of the menus and whatnot are still untranslated; it looks like about all you'd be able to read is the main plotline (and even there, some sections aren't done). Also random crashes, etc.

And apparently the makers of the game are putting out a plus-disk/expansion pack at Comiket, so it might be smart to wait and see what happens with that.

I suppose Touhou Pocket Wars EVO is not a bad choice, since I've only played the original, and haven't touched EVO yet. But I have no clue how to incorporate any sort of story to it, given its very grindy nature.
    EVO has a story, of sorts. It's...decent enough, from what I've seen of it. But yeah, this would be a tricky one to do as a Let's Play, due to general grindiness. And randomness. (Granted, the latter can for the most part be overcome by save-scumming...)
    Last edited by Rolaran; 2010-12-15 at 09:07 AM.
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

16. - Top - End - #496
    Banned

I'll be honest. I don't like this version of Yuyuko and Youmu that much. While i'm glad they remembered that Yuyuko is quite the troll and actually fairly smart, they overdid the troll part and just has her come off horrible. Youmu on the other hand is way too weak a person here. Yes, she's supposed to be fairly immature and too soft, but not this weak and easily messed with.

As for what to do next, i'd love if you did the bonus boss found on higher difficulties. I'd never have the patience to fight her myself, but i'm genuinely curious about the plot relating to her, whoever she is.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Orc in the Playground

I had been curious about Genius of Sapphieros, but there's no English patch for that at the moment, and I don't like the idea of running a LP if I can't even read the text. I've also considered Touhou Mother (a.k.a. TOUHOUBOUND), but there's already multiple video LP's for that on youtube, and I don't know what else to add since it's already hilarious enough as is.

I'm sure you'll be happy to find that Touhou Pocket Wars EVO (and its expansion EVO+) have storylines (EVO+ is the same of course). However, like Rolaran said, I'm sure you'll be unhappy to find that the story is rather short, and the game itself is still rather grind-y and luck-based.

Genius of Sapphieros has a video-translation series available on YouTube. Granted, it's not as convenient as having the game fully translated already, and it doesn't provide translations for things like menus or lists, but it's better than nothing. I personally found it to be a bit grind-y as well, since you're pretty much forced to use all 12 characters you have, and since only 6 get experience at a time...

Touhou Mother's great as well. ...That's pretty much all I can say about it, since I'm still not done with it yet. My main issue would probably be that it's a bit on the easy side. Also, what's wrong with playing a game that has several other playthroughs of it already? I mean just look at how many Pokemon LPs there are on this forum (not that I'm complaining), let alone the rest of the Internet.

18. - Top - End - #498

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 68

Spoiler
    Show
    Hakugyokurou is down to its last territory, so let's go ahead and finish this.

Is this the most number of unique enemies we've faced in a battle yet? Lyrica's constant group healing got kind of annoying, but I managed to defeat all her allies in time. Interestingly enough, I discovered that the battle automatically ends if the only remaining member of one side has committed to using an attack that does no damage. Is this the only one of its kind? I can't remember.

We follow this up with a second battle that was fairly unnoteworthy. Master Spark pretty much blew away everything when it went off.

But now we come to the moment we've all been waiting for: it's time for Yuyuko to take the stage.

BGM: Bloom Nobly, Cherry Blossoms of Sumizome ~ Sengoku Arr. ~

Yuyuko's special will halve any number of opposing characters' HP at random. It's pretty nasty if she gets lucky with it at the start of the fight, but towards the end its effectiveness is greatly diminished.

Our party did get hit by Lunasa's Melancholic Music right off the bat, which was pretty annoying. However, we still just barely managed to finish off everyone, including Yuyuko, before our battle counter was completely drained.

Youmu: Ahh, impossible...!

Yuyuko: My, we seem to be at the end of our rope...don't we?

Yuyuko Saigyouji, the master of Hakugyokurou, had been defeated, and the Hakurei Army, on the verge of victory, gave chase after...But the supposedly cornered Yuyuko had a faint smile on her face.

Reimu: Alright, we've won the battle. How about you all be realistic and accept your defeat?

Hm...Hehehe...How naive of you, Reimu. I still have my final card to play!

L-Lady Yuyuko, what are you...!?

Marisa: Ack...Hey Reimu, this ain't lookin' too good.

Anyone can see that! Such a powerful aura...!

This is the remaining power of the youkai cherry tree of the Saigyouji...And you shall feel its wrath!

BGM: Bloom Nobly, Cherry Blossoms of Sumizome ~ Sengoku Arr. ~

And just like that, we're thrown into another boss fight without any time to catch our breath!

The most dangerous thing about this fight is probably the fact that we go straight into it without any opportunity to heal our characters. Any character can be used regardless of whether or not they've acted earlier in the turn, but they still keep any damage they may have taken prior to this fight. That means quite a few characters were no longer in tip-top shape. Those that can heal themselves or others would thus be very useful for this situation.

Yuyuko herself is now sporting much higher HP, which means much stronger attacks. However, they're still nowhere near as punishing as Suika's, so any dedicated healer like Eirin should be able to keep up with her damage output. My strategy was to have Eirin spam her healing spells every turn, which worked out given Yuyuko's relatively low speed. The stat debuffs that resulted did hamper our ability to damage Yuyuko (our attackers ended up doing only 30-50 damage per hit), but we weren't in danger of losing anyone.

Occassionally, Yuyuko would get lucky with Invitation to Death. However, the mere fact that it can't kill anyone still gives us plenty of time for Eirin to heal us back up. Plus, we got extra turns to heal whenever Yuyuko targeted Keine, who was only taking about 100-150 damage per hit from her.

Eventually, this war of attrition would end in our favor.

Yuyuko: Everything's spinning~...*plomp*

Youmu: Lady Yuyuko, please get a hold of yourself!

Reimu: Yeesh, you really took this all the way to the end...This should confirm our victory. You have no more tricks up your sleeve, surely?

I suppose so~...Going any further may well end up making the garden even worse.

Ah, now that you mention it...Wahhhhhh!?

Marisa: Ah-ah, it looked so clean and fresh when we arrived too.

...Do your best cleaning it up, Youmu.

*sob sob*

Wow...even I'm feeling sympathy for her. If you had just accepted defeat earlier, this wouldn't have happened.

Absolutely not, the Saigyouji Clan has not lost! ...Yes, the reason for the defeat is all due to my unworthiness. I shall commit harakiri as my apology!

Alright, stop that right now. Besides, even if you perform harakiri, the only thing that will change would be you going from half-dead to entirely dead.

Ehh, is that so...? Ooh, I cannot even commit harakiri to atone, I really am worthless...I cannot show my face to my master.

If you have the time to be depressed, use that time to further yourself. You're still young after all.

...That ain't too convincin' comin' from someone who looks real young herself, despite her age.

Anyway, you all are losers, so you have to follow the rules. You all are our prisoners.

To have to live with the shame of being a prisoner...Surely performing harakiri is a better fate...!

I said stop it already. Ahh, Yukari, I'll put my trust in you to take revenge for me~.

We'll blow her away too!

"Hakugyokurou Hades" has been defeated.
    Yuyuko Saigyouji has been taken prisoner.
    Youmu Konpaku has been taken prisoner.

Yukari: Ran, how are the preparations going?

Ran: They have been completed. We're ready to start at any time.

Superb.

The Yakumo Residence was usually a place with a carefree and warm atmosphere, but the mood was clearly different today. The banter that they used to engage in seemed a distance memory.

Reimu has finally seized all the territories available. We are the only ones that are still in the game.

Yes.

We shall be their final opponents. I don't think I need to say this, but there will be no need to hold back or show mercy. Fight with all your might.

Understood.

How about your shikigami?

She is awaiting my instructions.

I see, I'll leave her actions to you, then.

Ran bowed deeply as Yukari walked away. Yukari continued walking towards the balcony, and looked up to the sky wearily.

The climax is finally here...This will close the curtain on the game. Who will fall first, Reimu...you, or me? Let's have some fun and find out.

Her eyes gazed upwards at the sky, with her folding fan covering her mouth. The decisive battle between Reimu and Yukari was about to begin.

"Yakumo Clan" war has been declared.

Wow, the Yakumos sure don't waste any time! They immediately get to work attacking our newly-acquired Hakugyokurou.

We don't have quite a fully leveled team remaining, but of the few characters we do have there are certainly a few who can pull their own weight. The attacking force looks pretty meager, so we have no problem repelling them.

Turn: 68
    Ouki: 7936
    Ryumaku: 116/143

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine

Night-Blind Road

Faintly Dark Path

Magic Forest Entrance

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior

Road of Reconsideration

Muenzuka

Human Village

Garden of the Sun

Nameless Hill

Misty Lake

SDM Gate

Great Library
    Cost to Develop: 21 RES

Clock Tower

SDM Top Floor

Lost Bamboo Forest

Hidden House

Eientei

Blossoms Barrier

Hakugyokurou Stairs

Hakugyokurou

Enemy Territories:

Yakumo Residence

Prisoners:

I like Touhou Mother, but it really is one of those games where there's something interesting going on every minute, and trying to run a LP of that in text form just doesn't seem as compelling as a video. My problem with Touhou Pocket Wars is that its repetitive nature makes me feel like I'm playing Tetris or something rather than an actual RPG. Oh sure, I can waste several hours on it and have fun, but it just doesn't seem interesting to make a LP about unless I put some sort of weird spin on it.

Anyway, for new characters to be introduced in Sengoku Gensokyo's National Mode, I'm looking specifically for fairies, ghosts, dolls, and youkai. I already had a lot of human characters added in when I was bored, but I suppose a few more wouldn't hurt either. Still, since every army sticks to the races it was originally comprised of, it'd be nice to have a bit better balance here. Within the races, though, everything will be random, so who knows if they'll get a generic or a new character?

19. - Top - End - #499
    Orc in the Playground

Ha, that was the most random counterattack defense force I've seen in a while. Flandre, Medicine, Cirno, Kaguya, and Wriggle?

The follow-up to taking over Hakugyokurou surprised me quite a bit actually. After Flandre's fake-out, I wasn't expecting that sort of thing until at least the final boss.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

If the battle in Hakugyokurou is not proof that Gameplay and story separation are in effect, I don't know what is, as Mokou fought Yuyuko, despite not being able to enter the netherworld in the first place.

As for Yukari, I expect a few turns will pass before we are trolled by her or Shinki and the other characters from Mystic Square engage in random banter.

As for new characters, why not several of the Rozen Maiden characters for dolls?

21. - Top - End - #501

Maybe Oggie, Dimo & Maxim as Youkai?

22. - Top - End - #502

As for new characters, why not several of the Rozen Maiden characters for dolls?
    I already have Suigintou, I should probably add the others...

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Maybe Oggie, Dimo & Maxim as Youkai?
    I don't know who these are, please enlighten me?

23. - Top - End - #503

Jager Monsters from Girl Genius, a webcomic.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Banned

And this is the other reason i think that they really dropped the ball when it came to Yuyuko. Would the girl who committed suicide to seal the Saigyou Ayakakashi, really release any of its power? Remember that she got her memories back after PCB and realized what incredibly bad news the Saigyou really is. Yuyuko got her job as ruler of Hakugyokuro for being kind and friendly and not hurting humans too. Somehow clashes with casually channeling the energy of that tree.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    And this is the other reason i think that they really dropped the ball when it came to Yuyuko. Would the girl who committed suicide to seal the Saigyou Ayakakashi, really release any of its power? Remember that she got her memories back after PCB and realized what incredibly bad news the Saigyou really is. Yuyuko got her job as ruler of Hakugyokuro for being kind and friendly and not hurting humans too. Somehow clashes with casually channeling the energy of that tree.
    Well, Saigyouji Flawless Nirvana, which Yuyuko uses in IN (Last Word) and the fighters, is suspiciously similar to X% Reflowering. As for her memory, I'm not actually good enough at PCB to get any of the real endings, but I thought Yuyuko remained unaware of the exact details?
    Last edited by Jm2c; 2010-12-17 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Yuyuko uses SFN. I'm pretty sure she doesn't sue it.

26. - Top - End - #506

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 69

Spoiler
    Show
    It's time to take on the final army left standing in Gensokyo: the Yakumo Clan.

They start things off with an easy lob. Chen isn't much of a threat by herself. She's pretty fast, but her special, Shiki Possession, is pretty random: it randomly gives her buffs and debuffs, although in general she seems to get mostly buffs whenever she uses it against me (she got no debuffs at all this time).

The thing about the Yakumo Clan on this difficulty is that they have two really strong characters that can demolish your team. And they've got Chen, who...tries her hardest. Since the Yakumo Clan has been on the map for a long time, they've had the time to accumulate lots of additional freelancers (I know they have at least Star Sapphire, Mystia, and Komachi), but those guys aren't nearly as high-leveled as their best members.

Chen: Lady Ran, I'm so sorry!

Ran: Ohh, are you alright?! Hmm...It seems that you really do need more normal training rather than the special one I provided. I'll be stricter next time.

T-That's...Ahaha...I'm sorry!

However, I cannot possibly ignore those who hurt my shikigami not just once, but twice. Chen, next time, you shall accompany me into battle.

Eh, really!? Yeeeessss! With you around, they're no match for us, Lady Ran!

Now now, you'll have to try your hardest too...Furthermore, if we don't fight well, whatever we say to Lady Yukari, she'll...

Stop our meals...

Give us 100 thwacks of her parasol...

......We cannot lose.

......Yeah, I'll do my best.

(Actually...It's been a long time since I've seen Lady Yukari so serious, but she still hasn't decided to show up yet...No, that's for the better. If she shows up now, she's sure to enact some punishment...*shiver*)

Lady Ran, why are your tails all standing up?

Ehh? Oh, don't mind them...Anyway, let's eat.

Okay!

Ran decided to put on a brave face while in front of Chen.

Mokou: A nine-tailed fox...Looks like you've resurrected, huh? I never thought I'd find you here after looking for you for so long.

Ran: Ehh? Resurrected? What do you mean...?

You were supposed to have lost your power after that death...But it looks like all those years have brought that back too.

Uh, I'm not quite following you...

Whatever the case, a nine-tailed fox existing will surely throw the world into chaos. I shall destroy you right here and now!

Whaaa!?

......Then again, it should be fine. There isn't a person with utmost power over Gensokyo. With no place to go, you'll just drift around.

Um...I don't quite think you understand...

Oh, don't worry, I definitely understand. I know the pain of having nowhere to stay, away from the gaze of the public.

...Oh?

Although this seems like a good place to settle down and lead a peaceful life. There'll be happiness in the future, I'm sure, so keep at it!

Ah, hey! I get the feeling that she's mistaken me for someone else...Well, whatever.

Chen is fast, but otherwise doesn't do much. Ran, on the other hand, is not only fast, but possesses monstrous stats in all other areas. And with the additional bonus she gets from being paired with Chen, she becomes quite a handful. She starts off the fight immediately by hitting Shikieiki for well over 500 damage, then KO's her on her next turn.

The rest of Ran's allies go down pretty quickly, though, leaving just Ran alone. However, it takes quite a while for us to defeat her. She wastes her last turn using her (admittedly good) special, which simply increases all her stats. That's pretty great if she starts the fight with it, as it makes her quite difficult to take down.

Ran: Oooof...Ugh, who would've thought they'd be this good...I wasn't even going easy on them...

Chen: Lady Ran...

Oh, there's no need to worry. You can't win them all, so next will be our turn to win and...

Yukari: My, how optimistic.

Wahhh! Lady Yukari!?

Ran, is there something on my face? Or is there another reason why you were so scared of me?

N...No, it's nothing whatsoever!

I suppose it's time for you-know-what. Are you ready?

Ah, you mean...

Yes, of course...Punishment time.

Wahhhhhhhhh! I'm sorry!!

Lady Ran, be strong~!

...I'm just kidding. They've managed to get this far after all, they wouldn't be stopped so easily.

Ah...? B-But...

This is what I planned from the start. After all, it wouldn't do for the final boss to make her appearance right at the start, would it?

Lady Yukari...So we were just the opening act, so to speak?

My, are you not satisfied? Then you should've done better!

Ahwowowow, I'm sorry!!

Don't hit Lady Ran with your parasol~...

In any case, I shall face them now. Ran, Chen, you two are coming with you.

Understood.

Yeah, I'll do my best!

Hehehe...The time is slowly, but surely coming. Reimu, I'll make sure to see it through to the end.

At the very least, the Yakumo Clan's counterattacks are pretty weak. Suika gets to show off her skills by KOing 4 enemies at once with Pandemonium. Otherwise, this isn't particularly interesting.

Turn: 69
    Ouki: 5745
    Ryumaku: 116/144

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine

Night-Blind Road

Faintly Dark Path

Magic Forest Entrance

Magic Forest Border

Magic Forest Interior

Road of Reconsideration

Muenzuka

Human Village

Garden of the Sun

Nameless Hill

Misty Lake

SDM Gate

Great Library
    Cost to Develop: 24 RES

Clock Tower

SDM Top Floor

Lost Bamboo Forest

Hidden House

Eientei

Blossoms Barrier

Hakugyokurou Stairs

Hakugyokurou

Enemy Territories:

Yakumo Residence
    Defense: 119/310

Prisoners:

So...does anyone know what Mokou's talking about? Is this some reference to Cage in Lunatic Runagate?

27. - Top - End - #507

So...does anyone know what Mokou's talking about? Is this some reference to Cage in Lunatic Runagate?
    Damn it, I was hoping you'd know. I was confused by this as well. :(

28. - Top - End - #508
    Orc in the Playground

...maybe a Naruto reference?

Also, Chen is adorable when she's ticked off.
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

29. - Top - End - #509
    Halfling in the Playground

Well, I found the legend that Mokou's referring to, but I can't help with any references to it in other Touhou/related games/stories:

Nine-tailed fox (Wikipedia entry - check the second section, related to Emperor Konoe)

30. - Top - End - #510
    Dwarf in the Playground

I can't recall any canon mention of Mokou meeting a Kitsune, so maybe it's a reference to a doujin? Unfortunately, I don't know any doujins that involve Mokou meeting a Kitsune either. However, from the little we learn here, I can guess that the general gist would be that she met Ran and then Ran probably lost her memories of that meeting upon becoming Yukari's shikigami.