Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 82-84

Spoiler
Show

It's finally time for the territory that some people here have already voiced their concerns over: retaking the SDM!

But first, we've got one more round before Yumeko will show up. Our enemies may have much better levels, but we've still got strategy on our side. Which, in this case, means blowing up the mooks at Close range as quickly as possible so that Meiling and Reimu can advance and attack Mai on their turns. The interesting thing about Mai is that she's pretty compulsive at retreating from anyone who gets into Close range of her. This makes us waste battle counters on approaching again, but it also keeps her from actually attacking.

Yumeko: Welcome to my domain.

Sakuya: Your domain? This territory is Milady's and none other. Do surrender now before it's too late.

I'm afraid not. I also have orders from my master that I must fulfill.

I see. However, I cannot back down either...

I didn't think you would. The let's use this opportunity to see...just which of us is the more perfect maid!

BGM: Black Tortoise ~The Seven Northern Mansions~

Wow...that's a lot of unique characters going up against us...

With Yumeko, it's all about positioning. She's ridiculously strong at melee combat (her boss form has 8 MEL, 7 DEF, and 7 SPD on top of the bonuses she gets for working with other Makai characters). To beat her, you really need some solid tanks to start the battle off at Close range to her to prevent her from approaching your squishier characters. Heaven help you if she goes first and you've got several people at Close range to her, because then you're going to eat Dagger Dance.

As for this fight...the positions just didn't pan out at all. Keine, my best tank, started out at Far instead of Close, which game Yumeko the opportunity to just tear into Sakuya and Suika. The latter was particularly painful, as it ruined the power of Pandemonium, which I was hoping was going to carry us through. Ouch. The fight went pretty poorly from there on out.

Makai ends the turn with a counterattack on the SDM. Fed up with this, I just throw Eientei and the Yakumos at them, since I don't have to care about defense as much when Yumeko isn't around. Yukari goes nuts with her ability activating every turn, and we soundly crush the attackers.

Remilia: ...This is my favorite place in the mansion. If you outsiders would leave right now, I'l pretend not to have seen anything.

Yumeko: I thank you for your generosity. However...I'm pretty sure someone like you would know how I would reply.

Dear me. While your loyalty cannot be questioned, your inflexibility will lead to your downfall.

Whatever you might try to say, I am only performing the wishes of my master. I shall not lose to you at all.

Hmph, this is why I dislike people ignorant to the ways of the world. I am the empress of the night...You shall have a taste of the power of a vampire!

BGM: Black Tortoise ~The Seven Northern Mansions~

All right, let's see if things go better this time around. And what'd ya know, it does!

This time we get Keine and Mokou at close range to Yumeko, which is exactly what I want. My only regret is that I wasn't able to get Yumeko to attack Mokou once more to trigger Resurrection, but I guess that's still a win for us. Suika's Pandemonium was pretty nuts here, hitting 4 times on the first use (including 2 KOs), and murdering Yumeko with 3 hits the second time.

Keine is wonderful at tanking Yumeko's attacks, so we'll wait until next turn before attacking the SDM again, so that she can be of use again. During the downtime, Makai counterattacks us once more.

Patchy and Marisa rip Sara apart right off the bat (yes, I've been giving Patchy SPD+ equipment), and it's smooth sailing from there on out.

All right, time for our last battle at the SDM.

Four unique character enemies here, but I really couldn't have asked for a better starting position. With only Keine at Close range to Yumeko, the most dangerous enemy was effectively neutered. However, what really caught me off-guard here was that the one generic enemy (whom I had been ignoring this whole time) actually came packing Healing Prayer, which healed her entire party for 200-300 HP each, undoing a ton of my work. Still, with Keine in position I wasn't really afraid of our opponent's damage output, so even if we didn't manage to outright defeat everyone, we still walk away with a well-earned victory.

Yumeko: Tch, you devils...My deepest apologies, Lady Shinki, but I must retreat.

Sakuya: Do you think you'll be able to get away so easily?

Hehe...As maids, we must settle who is the best between us someday. ...Until then!

Stop!

Remilia: Sakuya! Don't chase too far after her.

...Very well.

Hmm...No traces of disorder anywhere. She's quite good for an enemy. Perhaps I should hire her.

...It was just a joke, don't take off your headdress.

Reimu: If she was a maid, then it's likely that she's a direct subordinate of the big boss.

Most likely her right-hand woman. Being able to force her back would be a large boost for our war effort.

Alright, do your best as well, Reimu. Those who take over my mansion, ignorant to etiquette and fear, must certainly learn a very harsh lesson.

...I would even if you didn't tell me to.

Turn: 84
Ouki: 2033
Ryumaku: 124/166
Actions Available: 3

Our Territories:

Night-Blind Road
Defense: 160/160
Cost to Develop: 33 RES

Faintly Dark Path
Defense: 175/175

Magic Forest Entrance
Defense: 180/180

Magic Forest Border
Defense: 160/160

Road of Reconsideration
Defense: 110/190
Cost to Develop: 30 RES

Human Village
Defense: 310/310
Cost to Develop: 36 RES

Garden of the Sun
Defense: 175/175

Nameless Hill
Defense: 205/205
Cost to Develop: 9 RES

Misty Lake
Defense: 225/225
Cost to Develop: 12 RES

SDM Gate
Defense: 230/230
Cost to Develop: 30 RES

Great Library
Defense: 195/195
Cost to Develop: 27 RES

Clock Tower
Defense: 210/210

Lost Bamboo Forest
Defense: 205/205
Cost to Develop: 15 RES

Hidden House
Defense: 195/195
Cost to Develop: 27 RES

Blossoms Barrier
Defense: 220/220

Hakugyokurou Stairs
Defense: 200/200
Cost to Develop: 15 RES

Yakumo Residence
Defense: 310/310
Cost to Develop: 18 RES

Magic Forest Interior
Defense: 210/210

Eientei
Defense: 230/230
Cost to Develop: 24 RES

Hakugyokurou
Defense: 235/235

Muenzuka
Defense: 215/215

SDM Top Floor
Defense: 225/225

Enemy Territories:

Hakurei Shrine
Army: Makai Goddess Army
General: Shinki (Leader)
Defense: 250/250

I'm all for a bit of grinding before taking on the final territory, but I must decide: who should be the team of 5 for me to focus all our resources on?