Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
Skill checks to create stats SCREAMS broken. Reminds me of my +40 diplomacy +60 bluff characters at mid-level.

Yeah, a +60 skill modifier would create a robot with stats(assuming you pull it on all three skills) of 22. That would give it a grand two feats, a fair amount of skill points, and of course everything that comes with high stats. It could probably be useful in combat, or for utility, but no way it's game breaking.

Craft Tool: should be brought in line with Masterwork tools, which are +2 for 100 gp.
And crafting them, it's 33,3 gp in materials. really, you save 13.3 gp. I don't think there's a problem there, really. He's just crafting even better tools.

Jury Rig: Not terribly useful.
Well, no. it slightly reduces crafting time, but you're right. maybe have it reduce the time to craft an item by x%, to at that level its still marginally faster, but at level 20 you can craft pretty much everything in half an hour?

Right Tool For the Job: Again, not all that fantastic.
Well, i figured it made sense for him to always have those tools if he needs to make some check he didn't think to craft one for. I don't know, not supposed to be that powerful, just a little bonus.

Duct Tape and Staples: Potentially abuseable with items that do not rely on stats. Also, what does "stats" mean?
I see your point, and stats means stuff like damage, hp, hardness, AC, (though not ACF, that would be stupid), etc. clarified that.

Craft Device: Does the engineer need to have access to this spell, either through a scroll or buddy, to understand how to make a device that replicates it (WITH SCIENCE), or can he make any spell he so chooses?

How many times can a device be activated?
Any spell he chooses. It can be activated once per caster level it has(i thought i wrote that. My text is disappearing.)

Craft Robot: The ability scores should cost extra to increase, such as needing more elaborate or sophisticated parts.

You also forgot the Robot's Wisdom and Charisma, but I assume they're similar.
You have a point. added cost, and wisdom/charisma (made charisma part of the intelligence check. Seems the most logical thing). I'm not really sure the robot should have a charisma score at all, but it definitely should have a wisdom score and the two are mutually inclusive.

Good Things Take Time: Again, not terribly useful unless you're worried about items being sundered, and unless I missed something, you're still stuck crafting nonmagical items at this level, so your items aren't even going to get used.
Well, you could take twice as long crafting the suit of armor that the party mage is going to enhance, but then subtract 100% from ACF. And this is compatible with jury rigging, mind you, so you could also drop time required with 70% afterwards, because jury rigging doesn't affect ACF. Not mind-shatteringly powerful, but useful in its own right.

The class is interesting, but ludicrously underpowered. Other than its two main features Craft Device and Craft Robot, which are rather abusable due to some vagueness, it's little more than an Expert with some ability to tweak the parameters of the (nonmagical) gear he makes. The Expert, at least, can pick its class skill list. Since this appears to be designed for D&D, that's what I'm comparing it to. You may want to look into d20 Future if you want some futuristic d20 experiences... D&D really isn't designed to be stretched that far.

If you insist on using D&D, that's fine, but you'll need to give the class a bit more than simply tweaking their parameters. Hardness and HP of the weapon isn't that big of a deal, and percentages don't work well with most of them, anyway.

I suggest focusing not so much on slightly improving or speeding up crafting, but being able to make things no other character can, such as their robots and those odd devices. Maybe even watch some MacGyver episodes for inspiration. Where wizards always have the right tool for the job, the engineer can freakin' MAKE the tool for the job, on the spot.
I am reluctantly forced to agree with you. I'll look into it.