1. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Screw magic, We have Science! It works, bitches![3.5][base class][PEACH]

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma Kode View Post
    Telling the designer that he/she should use magic/magical constructs/magical power sources is not at all useful when the design goal seems to be to achieve similar effects specifically without magic.
    You do not understand, I'm saying that the rules for all these things already exist, are balanced, and have been tested millions of times.

The difference here, is mere fluff.

I'm saying it's a LOT easier to change a couple lines of fluff to make a pre-integrated monster work than to integrate a new monster that works on nearly identical principles yet cannot utilize the tons of released content and is basically painted into a homebrew corner where anyone who would ever use your material has to rely on either you releasing more or them homebrewing more.

I totally agree that homebrew is awesome, homebrewed classes can be and are wonderful whether they are usable or not, but when it comes down to it we should critique and boil down... we need WAY more boiling down to create more true-root PrC's to conglomerate the dozens of each per character theme, and to do so in a balanced and elegant way.

IMO, ToB is a good example of how to bring a few classes together, balance the fighter, create a HUGE amount of versatility, and basically make dozens of related PrC's kinda outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma Kode View Post
    The fact the class was terrible does not invalidate the point that it was made to fill a niche that could be approximated by other classes still remains. Had the class actually been done well and did its design idea justice, would it still be a problem because such a thing could be approximated?
    If it created a system that made it anything but a bad fighter? Yeah possibly, ToB would be a good example of what you could do to make that better.

I'd like to hear what you would do with it to make it worth HBing as a playable class though, other than what could be just made into HB feats, maneuvers and stances.
    Last edited by Hanuman; 2010-12-31 at 06:12 AM.