1. Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Undersea Adventures: Comments, Concerns, & Concepts

I made the giant frog. I would have made a seperate thread, but I think I`ll get more feedback here.

How I would describe the frog to players:
    Infornt of you a giant frog appears, it`s skin shining bright green.
    The giant frog opens his mouth, and from which many tounges come out and attack you. The tounges slap some, and wrap around the others. Besides the crushing pain of the tounge slaps and wrapings, you feel an acidic burn.

Those frogs are the product of a simple question.
    How could a frog be used?

There is a god called Ranvar, god of exploitation (Usage would actully be more accurate, but will make him sound less evil). He and his clerics believe that anything is a resource that can be used – that includes people. His clerics use him for power, while he uses them to expand his faith and therefore gain more power.

One day while a cleric of exploitation guided initiates, one of them doubted the fact that anything can be used. As an exemple, he asked the cleric how a frog that passed by could be used. The cleric answered that even that he can`t find a use for the frog, he might simply not be able to think about one, or maybe he will find one in the future.

But the question bugged him. How could a frog be used?
    After much thought, he had to go to a battle. During that battle, he realised the answer, and afterwards captured a frog. After some failed attempts, he managed to create the frog stated here, and after a few years those frogs became common among clerics of exploitation. To add to their motivation to fight, they eat people.

Eventully, other magic users found out how to make and control such frogs.

Large magical beast
    Hit Dice: 8d10+48 (56-92-128)
    Initiative: +5
    Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares); same underwater and on ground
    Armor Class: 13 (+5 dex, -3 size), touch 13, flat-footed 10
    Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+16
    Attack: Tounge slap 1d8 +4 crushing damage +1d6 acid +13 to attack damage crit X2
    Full Attack: Up to 10 Tounge slaps 1d8 +4 crushing damage +1d6 acid +13 to attack damage crit X2, can`t use two or more tounge attacks against the same target.
    Space/Reach: 10/40
    Special Attacks: Tounge push, tounge grapple.
    Special Qualities: Amphibious, immunity to acid.
    Saves: Fort +8, Ref +11, Will +6
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 20, Con 22, Int 2, Wis 10, Cha 1
    Skills: Jump +23 (+8 raciel).
    Feats: I got no idea what to put here.
    Environment: Around freshwater sources.
    Organization: Solitary, solitary with a level 5+ cleric or druid.
    Challenge Rating: I don`t know.
    Treasure: None.
    Alignment: Netural.
    Advancement: By size, I don`t realy remmember the rules for that.
    Level Adjustment: -

Combat
    The giant frogs slap quickely everyone. If the battle is hard, the frog will grapple those who do the most damage to it.
    If ordered, the frog could fight diffrently.

Ability descriptions
    Amphibious: They can breathe underwater as well as in the air.
    Tounge push: They can use their tounges to push creatures aside. The attack deals damage normally and can move the target up to 20 feet. If the attack hits, then to avoid being pushed an opposed strength check must be won.
    Tounge grapple: The frog takes -5 to hit, but if the attack hits the tounge wraps around the target and grapples it, as long as the target is no more then 30 feet from the frog. For each round the creature is held (=fails an opposed grapple check), it takes damage as if it was slapped. The frog can`t tounge grapple creatures who are size big or bigger.

Things you can do with it
    1. The frog is called, then jumps out of a lake, catch with it`s tounges as many player characters as possible, then jumps back to the water to drown them. Much more deadly if you replace lake with an acid container.
    2. Frog riders. Possibly frog-men riding giant frogs with frogs familiers.
    Last edited by akma; 2011-01-08 at 05:18 PM.
    A world behind the mirror (stand alone plane)

(Wall) passer, a rogue variant

My not realy extanded homebrewer signature

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    In a world ruled by small birds, mankind cannot help but wonder how this state of affairs came about.