View Single Post

Thread: Golden's Guide to Race Building

1. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Pathfinder] Golden's Guide to Race Building

Before reposting my Pathfinderized Thri-Kreen, I would like to point out that the Slow Speed penalty to jump is -4, not -8, for 20' movement. Also, Armed to the Teeth should probably be Armored to the Eye, which is the meaning your going for.

Now, slightly revised, my PF Thri-Kreen!

Thri-Kreen
    +2 Dex +2 Wis -2 Int -4 Cha (-3)
    Monstrous Humanoid (1)
    Move 30' (0)
    Darkvision (2)
    Sleep Immunity (2) (Immune to magic sleep effects)
    Multi-Limbed (4) (Has 4 arms: allows Multiweapon Fighting[1pt], +2 grapple[2pt), +2.5 Str when using all 4 hands on a two-handed weapon[1])
    Weapon Familiarity (0)
    Leap (1) (+5 Acrobatics when jumping)
    Wild Talent (4)
    Psionic Aptitude (0)
    Total: 11

Thri-Kreen Paragon
    Hit Die:
    d8
    Class Skills: The Thri-Kreen Paragonís class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Acrobatics (Dex), Climb (Str), Perception (Wis) and Stealth (Dex).
    Skill ranks at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Powers Known

1st|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Great Leap (+10), Natural Attacks, Thri-Kreen Carapace (+1)|
    -

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Great Leap (+15), Psychic Heritage, Thri-Kreen Poison|+1 level of existing manifesting level

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Ability Boost (Dex +2), Great Leap (+20), Greater Psychic Heritage, Thri-Kreen Carapace (+2)|+1 level of existing manifesting level[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A thri-kreen paragon is proficient with all simple weapons, as well as the gythka and chatkcha. A thri-kreen paragon is not proficient in any armor or shields.
    Great Leap (Ex): A thri-kreen paragonís racial bonus to Acrobatics when jumping increases to the amount indicated in the table above.
    Natural Attacks (Ex): At 1st level, a thri-kreen paragon hones their claws and bite into natural weapons. They gain four claw attacks that deal 1d4 points of damage as primary natural attacks and a bite that deals 1d4 points of damage as a secondary natural attack.
    Thri-Kreen Carapace (Ex): A thri-kreen paragon gains the indicated bonus to natural armor.
    Psychic Heritage (Ps): At 2nd and 3rd level, a thri-kreen paragon unlocks some of the mental powers that their ancestors once wielded. At 2nd, the thri-kreen paragon may use chameleon and know direction and location as psi-like abilities three times per day, each. At 3rd, they gain concealing amorpha and metaphysical claw as additional psi-like abilities once per day, each. Manifester level is equal to their character level.
    Powers Known: At the indicated levels, a thri-kreen paragon gains new additional power points per day and access to new powers as if he had also gained a level in a manifesting class he belonged to before. He does not, however, gain other benefits a character of that class would have gained, except for additional power points, powers known and an increased effective level of manifesting. If a character had more than one manifesting class before becoming a thri-kreen paragon, he must decide to which class he adds the level for purposes of determining power points per day, powers known and manifester level.
    If a thri-kreen paragon has no levels in a manifesting class, this class feature has no effect.
    Thri-Kreen Poison (Ex): At 2nd level, a thri-kreen paragon, through adherence to modified sleep and diet patterns, activates his racial poison glands. On a successful bite attack, a thri-kreen paragon may inject his victim with his poison. Type: Injury; Save: Fortitude DC (10 + class level + Con modifier); Frequency 1/round for 5 rounds; Initial Effect: 1d3 Dex; Secondary Effect: paralysis for 10 minutes; Cure: 1 save. A thri-kreen paragon produces sufficient poison for only one poisonous bite per day.
    Ability Boost (Ex): At 3rd level, a thri-kreen paragonís Dexterity score increases by 2 points.

I tweaked the Leap ability to only affect jumping, as it doesn't make sense that their grasshopper legs make them better able to tumble or balance.

I included exactly what Multi-Limbed entails, as well as point break down.

I dropped the point value of being Monstrous Humanoid, as, again, there are exactly 5 spells in core PF that target Humanoid, 6 if you include Hideous Laughter's "Humor doesn't translate" clause. Most spells and effects don't really care what type you are, they just ask for your touch AC, for you to roll the appropriate save or to suck it, no save. Plus, unlike the Dromites, having more than 4 limbs and other attributes really pushes Thri-Kreen outside the base Humanoid type but they're still Humanoid enough to not be an Aberration or something else, which makes them Monstrous Humanoid in my opinion.

As for the Paragon class, I tried to model it off of the monstrous humanoid hit dice and abilities. I do worry about the poison being too much, though the low save DC may balance it if they manage to fail their save.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2011-01-15 at 04:15 PM.
    Rule of Cool Contributor and Goon

Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!