Here now. I don't lump "hate" in with "danger." I see though that I combined bits of my argument in a confusing way. Bear in mind, I've got a crush on SWLiHN, and want to give malfeas and half a dozen other yozis a big hug. Doesn't mean I would ever consider letting them out, but I like them while recognizing their danger. I sympathize.

But I sympathize because their nature is sympathetic to me. Because I (having understood their nature as best as available observation allows) feel I understand the reasons they are what they are, and feel that they lash out in pain and fear (or curiosity in some cases) more than malice. I still want to get them away so they don't kill grandma, but I just want them away rather than hating them.

The ebon dragon, though, is something I hate intrinsically. He is malice and cruelty, no other justification required or given. The fact that he can't change just means that as long as I don't change I will continue to hate him ad infinitum rather than saying "oh, but he can't change so it isn't his fault."