View Single Post

Thread: [3.5] The Monk Remixed

1. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: [3.5] Revised Monk (finally the red-headed stepchild gets some respect and PEACH!

All of the interesting combat features come at low levels. Actually, let's just look at the first three levels. You gain: Two bonus feats, Flurry of Blows, Wis to AC, Trapfinding, Unarmed Strike, Evasion, Empty Strike, Still Mind, +10 Movement speed, +10 to Tumble, Jump, and Balance checks.
    That unfortunately is true. Move DwtE higher? 6th level?
    Leaving the usual tasty things available to those taking only the few first monk levels.
    Anyway, isn't the whole 'I take 1 level in something to reap a couple of great bonuses' issue inherent to the majority of (prestige) classes? But I got your point that this revision makes it one of the more attractive ones to do so.

On a semi-related note I wanted to share this monkly prestige class, as the first 7 levels of it seemed rather attractive.

Edit: the other homebrew monk class made me wondering if its possible to combine the better sides of both into one superior class (no longer tier 5 poop), while simultaneously preserving the original flavor.

I think that there should definitely be a choice of picking a fighting style, that comes in the form of an assortment of feats, certain bonuses and 'maneuvers'.
    that any comprehensive rebalance of the game ultimately needs to include a rebalance of several hundred badly balanced feats in order for the overhaul to be complete.
    Mostly because of the above, but without the ki-points and other resources overcomplicating the mechanics.

Saves against monk's abilities should be: X + 1/2 monk's level + monk's Wis bonus
    And the daily uses of abilities should be equal to X + monk's Wis bonus.

Finally, think out the ways to make it unfavorable to dip into the early levels.
    Last edited by huyche; 2011-02-19 at 01:01 PM.