View Single Post

Thread: [3.5] The Monk Remixed

1. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: [3.5] Revised Monk (finally the red-headed stepchild gets some respect and PEACH!

I've added verbage clarifying the use of Unarmed Strike and Wholeness of Body. Good stuff, keep it coming!

Here is the houseruled TWF variant feat that has been in use in my campaign for the past year. Extensive playtesting has shown it to be not at all unbalanced...which says something about the existing TWF feats.

TWO-WEAPON FIGHTING [Fighter, General, Ranger]
    You fight effectively with a weapon in each hand, and you can make extra attacks each round with the second weapon.
    Prerequisite: Dex 15
    Benefit: Your penalties on attack rolls for fighting with two weapons are reduced. The penalty for your primary hand lesses by two and the one for your off hand lessens by 6. If your off hand weapon is a light weapon, reduce the penalties for both weapons by an additional 2.
    You gain an additional attack at your highest base attack bonus with the offhand weapon. You gain additional attacks with the offhand weapon at progressively lower attack bonuses whenever your base attack bonus grants you additional attacks with your primary weapon.
    As the core rules specify that a monk's unarmed strike counts as a weapon whenever she wants it to, in my mind this explicitly allows the use of TWF with unarmed strikes. TWF would also be compatible with flurry of blows. Attack all you like.

By way of contrast, it's entirely possible to build an archivist or wizard capable of making 20+ attacks per round by level 20 without the use of any homebrew. And with better attack and damage bonuses than a monk could ever hope to obtain. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2011-02-24 at 05:58 PM.
    D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Newest: shadowcaster. Most popular: monk and fighter.

Innovative new mid-tier classes compatible with 3.x and 3.x Remix: Machinist, Shapeshifter, Avatar, Magus of Blades, Ritualist, Magician, Dawnblade, Summoner, plus 5 elemental casters!