Interesting. An additional question: What happens when the god you're making didn't exist before? What if you go about the same process, with worshipers and sacrifices and tasks (done by the High Priest or somesuch)? I currently don't have rules for how that would work. Most deities in D&D have 20 or so Outsider HD. Those need to be factored in somewhere.

Hm. One of the primary problems with this idea is the variation between people's settings. In mine I have a huge creation story that explains most everything. Among other things, there used to be only a single god: Ilé. After he spent a couple millennium making the universe, he went down to earth and shattered himself to give rise to life. However, large "Ilé Shards" were left over which turned into Proto-Deities. A few epochs later, the now fully-formed Deities realize that they can gain power through worshipers (When a mortal pledges fealty to a Deity, they lend their (Itsy-bitsy)shard to that deity). Cue Godswar as they fight for the favor or fear of the mortals. They eventually reach a stalemate, after really tearing the place up. At this time, there's an interesting mix of gods left. Some have true Ilé Shards, with a decent amount of worshipers. However, some of the survivors didn't exist prior to the Godswar and never obtained a Shard. Absolutely all of their power comes from their Worshipers, so if they were to turn from that god, he would cease to exist once more.

Hm. So I need to make a system for this that is flexible enough for most entry-methods to be accommodated for...