1. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] A Translation of Vancian Spellcasting to Psionic Mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    This is a lot of stuff to read, so I'm going to ask directly:

For my campaign, I have removed all spellcasters and replaced them with refluffed psions. But that makes a lot of effects that exist only as spells unavailable. Can I just use your spells with a standard psion, or are there any additional things I have to consider?
    On the technical end, you'd have to
    • Remove the V/S components, and pick a psionic display instead.
    • Possibly add an augment like "For every 2 additional power points you spend, the save DC of this power increases by 1" to a lot of spells. This was one thing I really did change in the psionic system.

Apart from that it should more or less work.

Be wary of things that increase manifester level, though.
    The way I did it, augments tend to duplicate the effects of higher level spells, so you may end up with players getting access to level-inappropriate abilities if they get their hands on powerful manifester level boosters.

(Of course, if you're going to use reflavored Psions, I'd recommend you just use the reflavored Psion Wizard class I made, but I may be biased. )

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    Taking a look at the Sorcerer... I was hoping for a bit more differentiation between the Sorcerer and the Wizard. Currently the Sorcerer is different only by greater raw power, less versatility, and limited access to specialized spells. I was thinking something along the lines of the Demented One's Spell Flux would be in order. Besides that, looking good.
    Yes, it isn't as different from the Wizard as I'd like. =/

Spell Flux, you say? Interesting. I'll look into it when I get back to my own 'puter!
    Thanks.

I'd definitely need to change how it increases your caster level, though. But adapting it would be a given anyway.
    Last edited by Ernir; 2011-04-13 at 08:56 AM.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.