Quote Originally Posted by JysusCryst View Post

A) Sneak by.
B) Run past the battle.
Both those options are out of character. They're a bloodthirsty lot. I also have no ability to tell them to sneak by the rest of the fights. That just removes their ability to choose what goes on. If they do decide to bypass the encounters, good for them. If not, I'd like options for evaluating how much the fight hurt, without actually running through it.

Quote Originally Posted by JysusCryst View Post
C)Remove some rooms from your dungeon.
They know enough. I've been trimming one of the levels this week. The problem isn't so much the layout. The purpose of the dungeon is to serve as a giant lock that needs picking. There are 8 switches that need to be hit in the right order for them to open the vault in the middle of the dungeon. They have to hit the switches in the right order. If they don't, enemies respawn. The whole point of that is to prevent them from brute forcing the dungeon. i.e., by putting out new enemies out there on each failed attempt, they can't try 12345678, then 21345678, 23145678, ad nauseum until they win. I've already reduced how many enemies respawn, but any more and it won't be the same dungeon they entered.

Anyway, I'm liking rayne_dragon's suggestion more and more. It's a lot simpler than what I laid out. And I just read an article that told me that adding more tables to look up is not good for a game. I happen to agree with that, so I'm scrapping the table I mentioned earlier and going with this:

Each player rolls a d4. They lose that many surges and encounter powers. On a 4, they roll again. They still lose the original 4 surges and encounters, but also have to spend the new d4's value in dailies or action points.