View Single Post

Thread: D&D Snippets

1. - Top - End - #399
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: D&D Snippets

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Moreta View Post
    Okay, my turn for rambling

Awww, that sucks. It sounds fascinating. I did a similar paper at uni just for the fun of it, and I really enjoyed it. Though the lecturer really enjoyed the teaching of it, which made a huge difference.

anyway...
    well, so far I've taken it twice, first time around was workable, this time around is just......
    bleh.
    imagine a class suming up every social studies and ancient history class you've had since elementary school....

Eeeee, Planeswalking barbarian! I've been looking forward to this for ages!
    I live to please.

I really enjoyed it I loved his "Also, I'm bigger than you" response to the witch-hunter - I loved how reasonable he was and that he had some really good reasons for leaving the body alone, and then it was all "besides I'm bigger'n you "
    fun fact: it was true in and out of character

Also the repetition of "I despise them both". It worked really well, an extremely simple statement, but the reptition gave it depth and feeling. What's Cog's int stat? Because he sounds a lot smarter than your average barbarian...
    The Skulltaker's current stats are....
    3rd level xx Barbarian (alignment ranges from CE to TN depending on campaign and party needs)
    his stats are....
    strength - 18
    dexterity - 17
    constitution - 17
    intelligence - 15
    wisdom - 12
    charisma - 9
    easily one of the best stat-blocks I've ever rolled, and the best I've ever been able to play with.

so he is indeed much smarter than the average barbarian.

First piece of criticism... this isn't the best paragraph I'm afraid. Writing things like sighs can be tricky because there isn't really any sound that you can type out, like you can for something like a cry of pain or something ("ahhhhh" works well for instance). Sighs work best if you describe it as an action, like "I sighed, a massive exhalation of frustration - truly my people should have..." that's not the best example of my writing, but it gets the point across.
    yea, in hindsight, I don't know why I wrote "-sigh-" must have been too caught up in remembering...
    yea, I'm gonna blame it on that.

I appreciate you pointing that out, I do need to fix that.

The blood and guts were a lovely touch - something that we don't often think about while playing the game - just how often do Adventurers bathe? Also Cog's response to the guards "We're uh- adventurers. We're back from an Adventure" loved Adventure with a capital I don't know if it was intentional but it works as a wonderful little D&D in-joke. "Duh, we're adventurers, of course we're covered in crap, we've just come back from an adventure. It's what we do."
    I remember this moment fondly, the DM caught us completely off guard when the ... guards. stopped us over that.
    never had a DM account for that before.
    it was great.

I also liked the way you described what happened to his axe and how the two melted together. It made a nice picture in my mind and looked rather - pretty actually. The only thing that seemed odd to me was that the wizard never asked for any sort of payment for his services. Maybe I'm just too used to playing the game where everyone expects payment, but it just seemed a little odd that he didn't even ask them to go around telling people of his prowess at least.
    aha, you've got me on that one.... I don't even remember what/if the mage had us pay him, and had completely forgotten about it... I probably should edit that so it doesn't jar to badly.

Also enjoyed Cog's "we need to kill something - soon" at the end. The man might be smart, but don't make the mistake of thinking he's not a barbarian
    another fun fact.
    we were ambushed by -plot- assassins like 5 real life minutes after leaving the mage.
    but yea, Cog's a barbarian to the core.

I like this one. Second the book thing - it's these little touches that make characters more real.

Yeah, the 'human...' sentence isn't the best, but I don't think it'd be hard to fix...

"A human and yet, so much more - at six and a half feet tall, my hair as black as the coals I use to heat my forge; my eyes as deep a blue..."
    yea.... somebody else pointed that out too me(multiple somebodys now actually) and I'll be honest, it was a copy paste from a (very) rough draft I wrote at like 3 am.
    didn't catch it.

I love the way he's so unruffled - even when he suddenly realises he's not in Kansas any more - all he's saying is "oh well" and putting the book away, not stressed, not worried. And I like the depiction of how he ended up as an adventurer - not out for honour or glory, just after a good book

Fix that first paragraph and you've got a winner.
    hm.... apparently I need to work on my tone.... I was hoping for more of a "what the heck....?" and/or slowly growing alarm feel...

case in point, here's a little blurb from his play by post.

-internal monlouge-
    Spoiler
    Show
    "...surely I must be dreaming... a two headed giant is serving me tea!.... and I asked it for more sugar!!! who are these people? why are they all so calm? good grief the city curls up into the SKY!
    calm...
    don't start rattling your spines.
    calm.
    just sit tight and wait it out.... learn more before you ask questions...
    pray to the sweet lady that you're still asleep at home....
    failing that...
    maybe there's a good bookstore nearby.

these people are crazy!
    no
    books
    think.
    books.

why did this woman pick me?
    [/QUOTE]

but I digress.

thankyou for your criticisms and your praises... as soon as I get this paper done, I might write another snippet for marc about meldshaping.

so... I'm writing my paper... and listening to music...
    and now I have another skulltaker snippet churning through my skull.
    if you're curious, inspiration rose up from the sound of Cloven Hoof's "gates of gehenna"

so, coming soon*
    "My first skull"

and

"preparing for battle, shaping my soulmelds"
    *as soon as I have time to write.
    Last edited by big teej; 2011-04-14 at 11:31 PM.