Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
It's great to hear about other playtest results!

My original goal was to bring the class from a low T5 to a strong T4, but I'd be pleased if I overshot the mark and gave it enough versatility to mesh well with T3 classes. My desire has always been to give would-be monk players an option that allows them to fit seamlessly into a mid-power group.

Monk remix is better than rogue, yessir. Rogue fixes aren't as popular because core rogues are actually halfway-usable, but for those desiring a T3 rogue, I recommend my daring outlaw class remix, which combines rogue and swashbuckler with flashy combat tricks, a knack for mischief-making, and very good luck.

There aren't intended to be any overdetermined feat choices, although IKS and IKD are intentionally very strong feats. Even those aren't necessarily the best choice for every monk, though. No one in the playtesting I've conducted has ever taken Sun School or Pain Touch, so I'd say you've probably just hit on a strong combination of feats that works well with the kind of playstyle you enjoy.
All of that makes sense to me. And yeah, I just checked out the rest of your homebrew classes last night. Love them, especially the daring outlaw/knight-paladin (though I have to say, I'd have called it a knight-errant) - it's been so long since I messed around with magic classes that I'm not entirely sure on the balance of the others. Can't wait to see the shapeshifter and prophet, though!

As regards Sun School and Pain Touch, it's quite likely that they simply mesh well with both the characters I like to play and the types of encounters I enjoy most - they're excellent for (respectively) reaching and shutting down hard-to-reach-via-melee, dangerous foes, such as casters. And frankly, I was playtesting it along with (and against) traditional, tier 1 and 2 spellcasters, so it's entirely possible that the feats thrive in that environment more than they would otherwise. It's hard for me to believe that effectively extending the duration of stunning fist by X rounds (enjoy your single move action) isn't something everyone would want to do, ditto using abundant step followed by an immediate flurry, but again, that could be (and probably is) entirely playstyle dependent. :)

Anyway, the original point here was to congratulate you on how well the rest of the classes seem to be balanced as well. If you ever get the chance to make a .pdf with the classes/feats/etc all concatenated, that would be brilliant - until then, I may just have to bookmark your "extended signature" post.