View Single Post

Thread: [3.5] The Monk Remixed

1. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: [3.5] Revised Monk (finally the red-headed stepchild gets some respect and PEACH!

Quote Originally Posted by Pechvarry View Post
    I just need to toss it out there: I feel like Empty Strike needs moved to 5th level, where it won't be such a bloat to attack rolls. I guess it doesn't really matter, but that monk-warblade comparison still has me feeling uneasy. The important part is that I know that disparity would disappear by level 6 or so (hence the desire to see the feature delayed a bit.) so I know it's still a good and balanced class feature.
    Frankly, I feel like this is true of DwtE as well - they're both good and balanced class features, but IMO the first levels come a bit too early. Fifth would be a nice spot for Empty Strike in particular because it's the second level at which a medium BAB progression like the monk's gets left out, making it a nice spot to toss this in. On the other hand, I don't think giving Ki Shot and Wholeness of Body at third instead of fifth would be gamebreaking - Wholeness is balanced by the level requirement, and Ki Shot is at once situational for a melee monk and more or less a necessity for a ranged monk (especially one that's using shuriken, which would be the most awesome thing ever).

You could argue that both of those would then be vulnerable to dips, but I don't think either is anywhere near as dip-rewarding as Empty Strike and DwtE.
    Last edited by CaptainPlatypus; 2011-04-22 at 12:11 AM.