Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
Fish or chips?
The two are not mutually exclusive. ;) And, in fact, go awesome together, with a bit of malted vinegar (for both) and salt on the chips.

Up or down?
Up. It feels like making progress.

Do you like radishes? If so, can you conclusively prove that you're a human being, cause I'm doubting it.
To the first part, yes. To the second part, I don't recall ever claiming to be human. ;)

What's it like being a parent, having others who depend on you for everything? I'm not one, so I'm curious.
It is: Exhilarating and frightening; uplifting and depressing; energetic and exhausting. And a gajillion other adjectives. We're in a good stage right now (my kids are 10 and 9). They're largely independent for a lot of things, but still think my wife and I are awesome and they want to be around us and do things with us.

I find myself sometimes saying things I swore I never would ("because I said so, that's why!") and doing things I never imagined (such as coaching soccer - until 3 years ago, the extent of my soccer knowledge was "don't use your hands.").

I'm often amazed when I see my own life experiences all over again through their eyes. Things we old farts take for granted such as the smell of the flowers in spring and sound of birds singing after a rainstorm are new and exciting to them. And as a parent, if you open your mind a little bit, you can experience the newness of those things all over again. Another fun one is when they hear old songs or watch old movies you love. My daughter is a big Queen and Aerosmith fan; my son is a huge Star Wars fan. If I sit back and close my eyes, I can experience those things all over again.

It's truly heartbreaking when they hurt, physically and emotionally. I'm learning that the physical hurts are probably easier. For example, my daughter recently was a silent victim of bullying in school. She also recently fell while riding her scooter and landed on her face. It was way easier to deal with the physical injuries (cuts and bruises only, thankfully) than the emotional ones -- especially that no matter what we say and do, she still felt she couldn't talk to us about it at first.

It's uplifting when they do good. I mentioned previously we have two cats. One of those was a stray my son found and we took in. She was young when he found her, 6 to 9 months old. And she was likely dumped rather than wild, because she wasn't completely afraid of people. My son insisted we needed to save her, and when he learned that it was a bit expensive (we were going to get her fixed, and release her if she ended up being feral) he brought us his piggy bank.

It's inspiring when their minds soar, unbound by limitations placed there by life's experiences. There's no reason, in their mind, why we can't put a colony on the moon or even Mars; there's no reason we can't use less and reduce waste; there's no reason we can't just teach people to stop abusing others. In their mind, there's no reason they can't become world-class musicians or soccer superstars or a doctor that cures cancer. Life truly has no limitations until you learn to place them there.

It's mundane and droll and boring when day after day is a cycle of Time to get up for school/Do your homework/Get ready for karate or basketball or soccer/Do your music practice/eat your dinner/brush your teeth and get ready for bed/Good night and have sweet dreams. Routines come easily, and most of the time they're a good thing. But it's important to sometimes remember to break the routines.

That's my short answer, anyway. ;)

Black and tans, Y/N?
Why isn't, "Hell yes!" a valid option?