View Single Post

Thread: Elemental Blade - PEACH

1. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Elemental Blade - PEACH

Quote Originally Posted by DLoFunk View Post
    I actually already updated, i just forgot to bump it.
    Oh ah. Indeed.

Edit: Thanks for the links. I scanned them and quickly realized I am uninterested in the whole "Tier" thing. But at least I now know what people are talking about when the talk about it, so thanks again.
    Just realize that since you aren't setting a standard, you're not going to get a clear consensus on whether the class is balanced or not.

Makes sense. How to do it however...

+5 BAB seems too high with casting ability also required, and raising one of the skills to 8 ranks seem also seems high unless there's a non-caster skill I could throw in. Only needing 1 level of wizard makes 8 ranks in knowledge seem unreasonable to me. Am I wrong? Does it seem appropriate to you?
    I don't see a problem with early qualification; there's plenty of PrCs that allow entry before sixth. Also keep in mind that Energy Substitution requires 5 ranks of Know(Arcana) and another metamagic feat to qualify. Other requirements aside, that's three feats to enter. You're not going to meet that requirement until sixth level unless you're human (third level) or spent a wizard bonus feat on Energy Sub (fifth level).

If you do want to bump it up, the best way to do it would be to require 2nd-level spells and BAB +3, combined with the feat requirements. That means at earliest it takes being a human and five levels of duskblade (six if you're not human), being a human and three levels of another arcane caster/two of any full BAB class (plus another level in either if you're not human), or six levels of a caster in order to qualify.

You can also replace Run with, say, proficiency in all martial weapons. That keeps the entry levels for the human duskblade and warrior/caster at sixth, brings the entry level for non-humans to the same as for humans, and prevents you from entering as a pure caster (which I don't think you want). It also prevents the odd Bard entry, unlikely as it may be.

Elemental Resistance seems a little odd in that you select a single element for the whole day, while the other abilities let you use multiple elements over the course of the day. Maybe let you change it as a full round action, or a minute if you really don't want people to do it in combat?

Energy Blade is cool, though I would suggest moving Swift Charge to fifth level.

Elemental Movement and Elemental Defense are good. The 3+Con modifier durations are fine, since any decent warrior is going to have respectable Constitution.

Suggestion 1: Energy Substitution only lets you substitute one type of energy, selected when you take the feat, though you can take the feat multiple times. Perhaps give Energy Substitution as a bonus feat on even levels? You can even go a step further and tie www.giantitp.comit, i.e. you can only use the abilities that correspond to the energy types that you have Energy Substitution for. Gives it more of a scaling power curve.

Suggestion 2: Have you considered expanding the class to other damage types? Positive energy, negative energy, force, dessication, etc?
    Last edited by Agent_0042; 2011-05-15 at 11:34 AM.